daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #741
VCollaborator

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Doesnt Emirates serve pork dishes?
As far as I know, all meals served by Emirates is Halal. Alcohol is served though so I am not sure.
VCollaborator no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #742
VCollaborator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Next question: With the new DWC opening soon, will there be a one-seat ride by transit (e.g. bus, metro) that will allow travelers to connect between DXB and DWC efficiently, if not quickly?
I assume that there will be buses operated by RTA Dubai, but I am not sure if they would be direct. There is also plans by RTA Dubai to construct a metro line that will connect the two airports in the future. The responsibility for convenient direct connections would ultimately be with either Dubai Airports (since they operate both of the airports) or with Airlines operating at the new airport ( if they want to win customers).
Old April 12th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #743
Vicvin86

Likes (Received): 4933

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCollaborator View Post
As far as I know, all meals served by Emirates is Halal. Alcohol is served though so I am not sure.
EK menu card on Dubai - Chennai flight....
Old April 13th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #744

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
That's in respect for those Muslim passengers who fly with QF to begin with. It is like, would you like to see your Muslim clients complaining about they were eating a "sinful" meal (which is pork—prohibited by Islam)?
Westerners adapting to the islam; wow, never heard that before.
I wonder why muslim passangers don't respect that it's an western airline and just ask to not have pork?

Equario liked this post
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 03:24 AM   #745
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post

I wonder why muslim passangers don't respect that it's an western airline and just ask to not have pork?
I believe switching the flight to halal across all classes is easier than supplying 100+ MOML special meals.
Old April 13th, 2013, 03:30 AM   #746
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Quote:

Well, it is a case of courtesy for QF to stop serving pork dishes on flights routed to DXB so that it will respect Muslim customs as well as saving the airline money from making special meals for its Muslim passengers (not to mention that it will allow diversity in the dishes created for this particular service in the process with chicken, beef, and Lamb, as well as vegetables, fruits, and grains)

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 06:09 AM   #747
VCollaborator

Quote:
Well it goes both ways. Unless you are trying to suggest that Western Culture is impeccable, and everyone should follow it.

Quote:
It is all about hygiene in relation to how food is handled. Some religious passengers who follow religions that do not permit pork would fear that those who prepare the food may use utensils that were used for preparation of non-religious meals to prepare religious meals, so the solution is to have only religious meals on-board. It is not as if religious passengers can prepare their own meals on-board that would assure that it is in accordance with their values. Alcohol on the other hand is served right in front of passengers, so those religious passengers would have assurance about hygiene. Your argument that those passengers should just order religious meals in advance is not really fair, because I don’t think all passengers that fly are aware of such options, so it is better to be safe.

You should also remember that Emirates approached Qantas to establish the partnership, so they cant call the shots, in a deal where Qantas' business is being saved...

Last edited by VCollaborator; April 13th, 2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old April 13th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #748

Likes (Received): 1439

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCollaborator View Post
Well it goes both ways. Unless you are trying to suggest that Western Culture is impeccable, and everyone should follow it.
I am suggesting for western people to stand up for their culture just as every other culture in the world stands up for theirs.
As it is now, we're the one's appologizing and are doing the compromising.

Quote:
It is all about hygiene in relation to how food is handled. Some religious passengers who follow religions that do not permit pork would fear that those who prepare the food may use utensils that were used for preparation of non-religious meals to prepare religious meals, so the solution is not to have only religious meals on-board. It is not as if religious passengers can prepare their own meals on-board that would assure that it is in accordance with their values. Alcohol on the other hand is served right in front of passengers, so those religious passengers would have assurance about hygiene. Your argument that those passengers should just order religious meals in advance is not really fair, because I don’t think all passengers that fly are aware of such options, so it is better to be safe.

You should also remember that Emirates approached Qantas to establish the partnership, so they cant call the shots, in a deal where Qantas' business is being saved...
Well pointed.
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #749
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

Are there any renderings of the new DWC?
Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #750
VCollaborator

Quote:
I am suggesting for western people to stand up for their culture just as every other culture in the world stands up for theirs.
As it is now, we're the one's appologizing and are doing the compromising.
I would agree with this if Qantas wasn't in a partnership with Emirates, but they agreed to allign their products. One of the changes included to make meals of flights that arrive in or depart from Emirates' Hub, Dubai, Halal. They didn't have change it on other routes so it does seem fair when you look at the overall picture. Partnerships are about collaboration after all, aren't they?

As for the other components of both airlines' service, they are pretty much western, so it does seem like a bit of an over reaction when people complain about one component that has changed to a non-western custom.

Quote:
Well pointed.
No worries.
Old April 13th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #751
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

When they say alcohol, they r referring to food that contains alcohol, not alcohol as beverage.
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #752
Vicvin86

Likes (Received): 4933

They do serve alcohol as a beverage in small bottles. They may not to destinations where alcohol is prohibited.
Old April 16th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #753
elavery

Likes (Received): 0

Is there somewhere I can find a detailed map of Dubai Airport, including what gates/terminals airlines typically use. I am recreating Dubai airport in Sim City 4 and want to be as accurate as possible.
elavery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 05:12 AM   #754
VCollaborator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elavery View Post
Is there somewhere I can find a detailed map of Dubai Airport, including what gates/terminals airlines typically use. I am recreating Dubai airport in Sim City 4 and want to be as accurate as possible.
http://www.dubaiairport.com/en/passe...minalmaps.aspx
Old April 16th, 2013, 12:24 PM   #755
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by elavery View Post
Please let me know how your going about creating Dubai Airport in Sim City 4!
Old April 17th, 2013, 03:53 AM   #756
elavery

It will be as accurate as the game allows. Obviously SC4 throws up many limitations.
Old April 17th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #757
elavery

I have access to plenty of terminal maps, what I am lacking is a good ground map of the entire airport. Terminal locations, parking lots, transit stations, etc.,. Google Earth is only detailed up to a certain point.
Old April 29th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #758
VCollaborator

Dubai Airport records 5.8m passengers in March traffic

Quote:
Rory Jones
29 April 2013

Passenger traffic through the Dubai International airport reached a record high in March as Emirates Airline and Flydubai launched increased flights to Eastern Europe, Dubai Airports said on Monday.

The airport, which has ambitions to become the world's busiest hub, registered 5.8 million passengers last month, up 20.6% on year. Traffic in the first three months of the year was 16.4 million, up 15.6% on the corresponding period last year.
http://www.zawya.com/story/Dubai_Air...0130429000024/

cargobull liked this post
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:01 PM   #759
VCollaborator

Concept and Construction Images of 4 New Emirates Engineering Hangers at Dubai Airport

Quote:

http://www.jandp-group.com/project.asp?pid=1007&id=1

cargobull, geometarkv liked this post
Old May 9th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #760
VCollaborator

Dubai Airports to upgrade runways in 2014

Quote:
9 May 2013

Nadeen El Ajou

Dubai Airports announced that it will conduct an extensive runway enhancement project at Dubai International (DXB) during an 80 day period commencing May 1, 2014.

To safeguard service levels while the work is taking place, scheduled passenger flights at its hub airport will be reduced and all freighter, charter and general aviation flights will be diverted to Dubai World Central (DWC).

The northern runway is nearing the end of its design life and requires resurfacing and other modifications to accommodate future traffic. At the same time there is a requirement to upgrade runway lighting and construct new taxiways on the southern runway to boost capacity.

The runway rehabilitation project will involve the placement of 180,000 tonnes of asphalt on the northern runway, 65,000 tonnes of asphalt and 70,000 cubic metres of concrete on the southern runway and taxiways as well as the installation of 3,000 runway lights.
http://www.ameinfo.com/dubai-airport...ys-2014-340889

Tags
airport, dubai, emirates, south asian hub airport