daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 7th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #801
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Invader View Post
I'm a bit surprised about this terminal, it's pretty boring. I'm aware it's for low fares carrier but still, it's Dubai, I was getting used of gold and diamonds everywhere...
It's not a low cost terminal 😉

Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2013, 02:12 AM   #802
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

Isnt the terminal temporary until they get their act together and start building the rest of the terminals and other runways. That is a small terminal for all the other airlines that fly into Dubai besides FlyDubai and Emirates. It would be a zoo during all the rushes that come in and out of Dubai. I thought the terminal was going to be used as a charter terminal once the rest of the airport is built out. No airline would want to fly out of that terminal when their are brand new spanking terminal across the field.
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 03:32 AM   #803
EK413

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR66 View Post
Isnt the terminal temporary until they get their act together and start building the rest of the terminals and other runways. That is a small terminal for all the other airlines that fly into Dubai besides FlyDubai and Emirates. It would be a zoo during all the rushes that come in and out of Dubai. I thought the terminal was going to be used as a charter terminal once the rest of the airport is built out. No airline would want to fly out of that terminal when their are brand new spanking terminal across the field.
EK is going to occupy the 3 concourses once the Terminal is complete.
Old November 7th, 2013, 07:45 AM   #804
Aneesha

Likes (Received): 322

So what about the present DXB airport?
When will the 3 concourses be completed ? around 2020 or later...
Old November 7th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #805
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneesha View Post
Many different statements coming from different people. Airport CEO Paul Griffiths saying around 2025, and Tim Clark saying DXB will hit it's max by as early as 2016.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #806
EmiratesAirline380

Likes (Received): 580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneesha View Post
I'm not sure what you mean?
At DXB, 3 concourses are already complete. Together they have a combined capacity of 75 million passengers. In 2 years, Emirates will become the only airline (with Qantas) to operate out of those 3 concourses. Emirates is already the only tenant at concourse A and B, so they will just be taking over control of concourse C as well.

Another concourse (concourse D) is under construction and will open in 2015. Every airline currently operating out of Terminal 1 (concourse C) will move to this new concourse.

As for DWC, there is currently no plan or design announced by the government for the terminals and concourses at that airport. Nobody knows about when they will start construction, not even the EK President Tim Clark is sure. All we know right now is that it will have 5 runways, 160 million passenger capacity, and might have 4 terminals.
We have heard reports that if Dubai wins the 2020 World Expo then that will kickstart the development of DWC since the expo site is located near DWC so we might see the opening of new terminals at DWC before 2020.

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders

EK413 liked this post

Last edited by EmiratesAirline380; November 8th, 2013 at 11:06 PM.
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 03:52 AM   #807
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

So is the eventual plan to move all operations over to DWC then? I understand it's a long-term phased opening, but I'm a little at odds at why such massive investments continue over at DXB when DWC seems like the focus. Yes, investments to ensure capacity/growth needs to be made/sustained, but the scale of such almost seems wasteful if it won't be used for a long period of time.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 07:13 AM   #808
EmiratesAirline380

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
So is the eventual plan to move all operations over to DWC then? I understand it's a long-term phased opening, but I'm a little at odds at why such massive investments continue over at DXB when DWC seems like the focus. Yes, investments to ensure capacity/growth needs to be made/sustained, but the scale of such almost seems wasteful if it won't be used for a long period of time.
Well there isn't really a plan. I think EK has said before they might move to DWC eventually but right now there really isn't a set plan to move to DWC. The head of Dubai Airports has always said they could change DXB into a shopping mall, or sell the land it sits on after all airlines shift to DWC. Obviously that idea is quite ridiculous, but it just proves that they really don't know what to do.

The investments at DXB don't make sense to me either. They have spent $3.5bn on concourse A, and in 2011, the government approved $7bn to pay for future construction at DXB. It doesn't make sense for them to keep spending money on DXB even though they know capacity will be constrained in a few years. If the government had planned well, they would have thought about constructing DWC in 2009 instead of continuing to spend money on DXB. Even now, the government can't afford to build DWC since they simply don't have $33bn needed to construct it.

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

firoz bharmal liked this post
Old November 9th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #809
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 2416

May be they wants Emirates to rule on DXB ......rest they want to shift to JXB....let other airlines to serve as their regional hub.....and by giving connectivity with JXB to DXB , passenger have option to catch connecting flights......like in China...from Shenzen to HKG by ferry or trams or by bridge ........
Old November 9th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #810
Aneesha

Likes (Received): 322

What I meant was about the 3 terminals of the new airport.. Not the present dubai airport :-)
Old November 9th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #811
EK413

I believe the drive behind the on going investment at DXB is due to demand. In a nutshell they can't simply spend $30 billion on DWC & become operational overnight. Therefore money has continued to be invested into DXB not only due to demand but also to generate the revenue to construct the terminals at DWC.
If they don't do so then airlines will fly elsewhere where their needs are met.
That's my 0.02c
Old November 10th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #812
deasine
=)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK413 View Post
I believe the drive behind the on going investment at DXB is due to demand. In a nutshell they can't simply spend $30 billion on DWC & become operational overnight. Therefore money has continued to be invested into DXB not only due to demand but also to generate the revenue to construct the terminals at DWC.
If they don't do so then airlines will fly elsewhere where their needs are met.
That's my 0.02c
Technically they can. HKG was built and operations moved literally overnight. LHR T5 and PEK, while aren't separate airports, were huge terminal projects and operations were also moved overnight. Of course, two of the three airports I mentioned suffered from a myriad of technical problems when it opened, but it's possible.

I agree there needs to be additional investments at DXB in order for the airport and EK to stay competitive. But $30B isn't a small lump sum of money, and it doesn't seem like a wise investment if there was no real plan or strategy behind Dubai Aviation DXB/DWC.
Old November 10th, 2013, 03:15 AM   #813
EmiratesAirline380

Quote:
Originally Posted by firoz bharmal View Post
May be they wants Emirates to rule on DXB ......rest they want to shift to JXB....let other airlines to serve as their regional hub.....and by giving connectivity with JXB to DXB , passenger have option to catch connecting flights......like in China...from Shenzen to HKG by ferry or trams or by bridge ........
This is true, but at some point EK might outgrow DXB. DXB will always limit EK's growth. EK will still need to eventually move to DWC.

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

Old November 10th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #814
EK413

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
This is true, but at some point EK might outgrow DXB. DXB will always limit EK's growth. EK will still need to eventually move to DWC.
Agreed but Dubai is trying to keep on top of the demand and that's why so much investment at Dubai.
I believe it's been discussed once or twice before there isn't any infrastructure at DWC & this will take years to build plus the terminals etc.
The investment at DXB will produce revenue to pay for DWC.
Old November 11th, 2013, 08:21 AM   #815
EmiratesAirline380

Quote:
Agreed but Dubai is trying to keep on top of the demand and that's why so much investment at Dubai.
I believe it's been discussed once or twice before there isn't any infrastructure at DWC & this will take years to build plus the terminals etc.
The investment at DXB will produce revenue to pay for DWC.
I know that and completely agree, but just look at the investments at DXB: Between 2009 till now, the government has spent or is planning to spend $10bn+ on DXB (including $3.5bn spent on concourse A). That seems like such a waste since the plan is to eventually move EK and all airlines to DWC. Even constructing concourse D doesn't make sense since they are now trying to convince airlines to move to DWC and give EK its own airport.
Had the government thought about this carefully, they would have begun investing all money into DWC back in 2009. They could have still built concourse A, and then spent the other $7bn on DWC. Although $7bn is far from the $33bn required to fully build DWC, they could have easily built a terminal with a 40-50 million passenger capacity with that money. 40 million is no where near what the final capacity of the airport will be, but its still a significant capacity, and would have been enough for all airlines (excluding EK) currently at DXB up to at least 2020. .

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

Old November 11th, 2013, 08:30 AM   #816
EK413

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
I know that and completely agree, but just look at the investments at DXB: Between 2009 till now, the government has spent or is planning to spend $10bn+ on DXB (including $3.5bn on concourse A). That seems like such a waste since the plan is to eventually move EK and all airlines to DWC. Even constructing concourse D doesn't make sense since they are now trying to convince airlines to move to DWC and give EK its own airport. Had the government thought about this carefully, they would have begun investing all money into DWC back in 2009. They could have still built concourse A, and then spent the other $7bn on DWC. Although $7bn is far from the $33bn required to fully build DWC, they could have easily built a terminal with a 40 million passenger capacity with that money.
I'm not arguing with you and I agree on your views but the main issue at hand is where to get $30+ billion?
The answer is, invest in existing infrastructure to keep up with demand and generate the much needed $$$ to build DWC. The other problem with DWC is the fact there's no infrastructure presently in place and it's a good 30km from the existing airport (correct me if I'm wrong regarding the distance). I guess from a O&D point of view DWC would work for full fare carriers & low cost if passengers don't mind the drive into the desert.

EmiratesAirline380 liked this post
EK413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #817
deasine
=)

Quote:
I'm not arguing with you and I agree on your views but the main issue at hand is where to get $30+ billion?
The answer is, invest in existing infrastructure to keep up with demand and generate the much needed $$$ to build DWC. The other problem with DWC is the fact there's no infrastructure presently in place and it's a good 30km from the existing airport (correct me if I'm wrong regarding the distance). I guess from a O&D point of view DWC would work for full fare carriers & low cost if passengers don't mind the drive into the desert.
I am 100-percent sure it would be cheaper in the long-run to spend at DWC than what they are currently doing right now. I also understand that there are no facilities currently at DWC to replace DXB and that investments in DXB are necessary to keep up with current demand. But the point is that the scale of investments at DXB seem out of line? For instance, the new Emirates Terminal features First Class Lounge spans practically the entire terminal. Yes, these are your high paying customers, but no matter how much premium traffic you have, you won't have enough First Class customers to fully use that capacity since there are only a couple on each plane anyway!

Bus gates are the cheapest way to handle demand but of course is not preferred by many. And with the amount of transfer traffic DXB handles, bus gates are definitely not an adequate option. But building a more modest terminal isn't unreasonable, and there are many more-temporary building techniques that do not look temporary and are much cheaper to build, and I can't see this being a bad option at least for airlines other than EK anyway.

Quite frankly, I don't think the issue with DWC/DXB is money and I'm sure Dubai can throw in the necessary investments into DWC to make it a fully operational airport with HSR to the city. I suspect the problem is the lack of a longer term aviation strategy. It's not too surprising either as many airports in developing regions either don't have a plan or have inconsistent strategies: Beijing, Tokyo, even London.
Old November 11th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #818
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Likes (Received): 14457

Back to the past - December 2011:

http://spotters.net.ua/file/?id=86996&size=large

Equario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:31 AM   #819
EmiratesAirline380

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
I am 100-percent sure it would be cheaper in the long-run to spend at DWC than what they are currently doing right now. I also understand that there are no facilities currently at DWC to replace DXB and that investments in DXB are necessary to keep up with current demand. But the point is that the scale of investments at DXB seem out of line? For instance, the new Emirates Terminal features First Class Lounge spans practically the entire terminal. Yes, these are your high paying customers, but no matter how much premium traffic you have, you won't have enough First Class customers to fully use that capacity since there are only a couple on each plane anyway!

Bus gates are the cheapest way to handle demand but of course is not preferred by many. And with the amount of transfer traffic DXB handles, bus gates are definitely not an adequate option. But building a more modest terminal isn't unreasonable, and there are many more-temporary building techniques that do not look temporary and are much cheaper to build, and I can't see this being a bad option at least for airlines other than EK anyway.

Quite frankly, I don't think the issue with DWC/DXB is money and I'm sure Dubai can throw in the necessary investments into DWC to make it a fully operational airport with HSR to the city. I suspect the problem is the lack of a longer term aviation strategy. It's not too surprising either as many airports in developing regions either don't have a plan or have inconsistent strategies: Beijing, Tokyo, even London.
Actually EK413 is correct. The Dubai government doesn't have enough money to build DWC right now. Usually Dubai is not slow to act on things, and they would have started building DWC back in 2009 but then the government defaulted on its debt and needed to be rescued by Abu Dhabi. Things though now are a lot better and the government is building big projects again but they still can't afford to spend that much on an airport when there are other things that can make more money.

From the looks of things, they are planning to keep EK at DXB for many more years. Maybe even past 2025. This will certainly limit EK's growth but there's nothing else they can do.
I think they are hoping that all other airlines including FlyDubai will move to DWC.

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

Old November 12th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #820
deasine
=)

Well if that's the case, then these investments in such lavish terminals seem even more questionable!!!

Tags
airport, dubai, emirates, south asian hub airport