daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 12th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #821
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Well if that's the case, then these investments in such lavish terminals seem even more questionable!!!
Why are they questionable? Dubai is a country with forward thinking when you take a trip down memory lane. Emirates emerged a good 25 years ago with 2 aircraft & today they operate the largest fleet of B777's & A380's serving every continent. When you have SIN, HKG, ICN, PEK competing for a piece of the pie you need to stand out with a product offering they can't offer.
Personally DXB as a hole will continue to grow at a rapid rate and that's why on going investment was necessary to keep up. DWC will be built eventually, it needs to be built it's just a question of when it will happen and I believe a time frame of 10-15 years is realistic with at least 1 terminal operational to release pressure off DXB.

firoz bharmal liked this post
EK413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #822
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK413 View Post
When you have SIN, HKG, ICN, PEK competing for a piece of the pie you need to stand out with a product offering they can't offer.
Personally DXB as a hole will continue to grow at a rapid rate and that's why on going investment was necessary to keep up. DWC will be built eventually, it needs to be built it's just a question of when it will happen and I believe a time frame of 10-15 years is realistic with at least 1 terminal operational to release pressure off DXB.
More than one. They will need at least two for DWC. What does SIN, HKG, ICN, PEK have that DXB doesn't have. DXB is probably the best connecting airport in the world to go from Europe to Australia and vice versa. You can connect from any where from Europe, Africa, ME/India, Asia, and Australia to the world from Dubai. SIN and all those airports are out of the way for good connecting passengers. They might good for the local areas they serve but not on an international scale like Dubai. Dubai has big terminal and lavish shopping areas too. Dubai has everything that all major airports have and then some more.
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #823
EK413

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR66 View Post
More than one. They will need at least two for DWC. What does SIN, HKG, ICN, PEK have that DXB doesn't have. DXB is probably the best connecting airport in the world to go from Europe to Australia and vice versa. You can connect from any where from Europe, Africa, ME/India, Asia, and Australia to the world from Dubai. SIN and all those airports are out of the way for good connecting passengers. They might good for the local areas they serve but not on an international scale like Dubai. Dubai has big terminal and lavish shopping areas too. Dubai has everything that all major airports have and then some more.
That was my point DXB stands out from the crowd when compared with the likes of SIN, HKG, ICN etc.
Old November 13th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #824
Airport Addict

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
That was my point DXB stands out from the crowd when compared with the likes of SIN, HKG, ICN etc.
Not borne out by surveys:

Skytrax places DXB at 33rd place in 2013 (down from 26th place in 2012):
http://www.worldairportawards.com/Aw...013/top100.htm
(while placing the aforementioned SIN HKG ICN in the top 5)

Airports Council International's Aiport Service Quality Awards do not proclaim a worldwide winner. In the Regional awards, it places DXB behind Abu Dhabi (even though AUH will only open its DXB-rivalling Midfield Terminal in 4-5 years), and in the Large airports (=more that 40 million annual passengers) DXB doesn't even feature as only the top five airports are awarded and yes, these top 5 include SIN and HKG
http://www.aci.aero/Airport-Service-...s/2012-Winners
Airport Addict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 03:55 AM   #825
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

I wouldn't take Skytrax to seriously, they are way way off on many things.

Skytrax has EK as the best airline in the world but we all know it lacks consistency.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 03:58 AM   #826
EK413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airport Addict View Post
Not borne out by surveys: Skytrax places DXB at 33rd place in 2013 (down from 26th place in 2012): http://www.worldairportawards.com/Aw...013/top100.htm (while placing the aforementioned SIN HKG ICN in the top 5) Airports Council International's Aiport Service Quality Awards do not proclaim a worldwide winner. In the Regional awards, it places DXB behind Abu Dhabi (even though AUH will only open its DXB-rivalling Midfield Terminal in 4-5 years), and in the Large airports (=more that 40 million annual passengers) DXB doesn't even feature as only the top five airports are awarded and yes, these top 5 include SIN and HKG http://www.aci.aero/Airport-Service-...s/2012-Winners
Wow, that's certainly a shock to the system. Nevertheless, this was the main drive behind the discussion;
Quote:
Well if that's the case, then these investments in such lavish terminals seem even more questionable!!!
This highlights why such lavish terminals are being built at DXB to remain competitive and the survey provided clearly demonstrates how tough the competition really is & DXB personally still stand out.
Old November 14th, 2013, 06:14 AM   #827
cthighflyer

Likes (Received): 20

Some serious reductions during the runway closure next year. 16 destinations temporarily cancelled and a 47% seat capacity reduction. I really thought all would be shifted over to DWC but not at this stage.

Update as of 13NOV13: flydubai Outlines Planned Service Cuts from May to July 2014
by JL
Update at 2140GMT 13NOV13

As per 13NOV13 GDS timetable display as well as the airline’s website schedule/booking listing, flydubai has outlined planned service reduction during Dubai International Airport Runway maintenance project, from 01MAY14 to 20JUL14.

The airline is to cut operations from 587 weekly flights (April 2014) to 310 flights (May – July 2014 schedule), while overall destinations reduced from 67 to 51. This represents roughly 47% frequency reductions based on current plan.

Planned operation changes as follow.

Service reductions:
Dubai – Abha Reduce from 14 to 9 weekly
Dubai – Amman Reduce from 10 to 7 weekly
Dubai – Ashgabat Reduce from 7 to 4 weekly
Dubai – Baghdad Reduce from 7 to 5 weekly
Dubai – Bahrain Reduce from 24 to 14 weekly
Dubai – Baku Reduce from 4 to 3 weekly
Dubai – Basra Reduce from 7 to 3 weekly
Dubai – Beirut Reduce from 14 to 7 weekly
Dubai – Belgrade Reduce from 4 to 3 weekly
Dubai – Dammam Reduce from 21 to 12 weekly
Dubai – Doha Reduce from 62 to 24 weekly
Dubai – Dushanbe Reduce from 4 to 2 weekly
Dubai – Erbil Reduce from 7 to 5 weekly
Dubai – Gassim Reduce from 14 to 11 weekly
Dubai – Ha’il Reduce from 4 to 2 weekly
Dubai – Hyderabad Reduce from 4 to 2 weekly
Dubai – Jeddah Reduce from 21 to 14 weekly
Dubai – Juba Reduce from 7 to 6 weekly
Dubai – Kabul Reduce from 21 to 13 weekly
Dubai – Karachi Reduce from 21 to 14 weekly
Dubai – Kathmandu Reduce from 15 to 6 weekly
Dubai – Kharkov Reduce from 4 to 2 weekly
Dubai – Khartoum Reduce from 13 to 3 weekly
Dubai – Krasnodar Reduce from 3 to 2 weekly
Dubai – Kuwait Reduce from 54 to 26 weekly
Dubai – Madinah Reduce from 7 to 4 weekly
Dubai – Mineralnye Vody Reduce from 3 to 2 weekly
Dubai – Muscat Reduce from 28 to 20 weekly
Dubai – Riyadh Reduce from 28 to 16 weekly
Dubai – Rostov Reduce from 3 to 2 weekly
Dubai – Taif Reduce from 7 to 6 weekly
Dubai – Volgograd Reduce from 3 to 2 weekly
Dubai – Yerevan Reduce from 6 to 4 weekly

Planned service cancelled:
Dubai – Addis Ababa 3 weekly
Dubai – Ahmedabad 2 weekly
Dubai – Chisinau 2 weekly
Dubai – Chittagong 6 weekly
Dubai – Colombo 7 weekly
Dubai – Colombo – Hambantota – Dubai 7 weekly
Dubai – Dhaka 7 weekly
Dubai – Donetsk 4 weekly
Dubai – Kazan 5 weekly
Dubai – Kiev Borispol 7 weekly
Dubai – Kiev Zhulyany 7 weekly
Dubai – Male 7 weekly
Dubai – Odessa 2 weekly
Dubai – Samara 4 weekly
Dubai – Ufa 4 weekly
Dubai – Yekaterinburg 7 weekly

Planned service remains unchanged:
Dubai – Alexandria Borg el Arab 7 weekly
Dubai – Bishkek 3 weekly
Dubai – Bucharest 3 weekly
Dubai – Djibouti 3 weekly
Dubai – Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen 4 weekly
Dubai – Lucknow 3 weekly
Dubai – Multan 3 weekly
Dubai – Najaf 3 weekly
Dubai – Osh – Bishkek – Dubai 1 weekly
Dubai – Port Sudan – Khartoum – Dubai 1 weekly
Dubai – Salalah 3 weekly
Dubai – Sana’a 4 weekly
Dubai – Sialkot 3 weekly
Dubai – Skopje 2 weekly
Dubai – Sulaymaniyah 3 weekly
Dubai – Tabuk 2 weekly
Dubai – Tbilisi 4 weekly
Dubai – Yanbu 3 weekly

During the runway maintenance project, the airline will also shift planned operational schedule as well. It is possible that the carrier may further revise planned service reductions.
Old November 14th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #828
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 2416

It would be a great loss until completion of Runway repairing......what the hail they want to do with runway that is already above 4 KM long and latest equipped with all class landing.......
Old November 14th, 2013, 06:48 AM   #829
EK413

Quote:
Originally Posted by firoz bharmal View Post
It would be a great loss until completion of Runway repairing......what the hail they want to do with runway that is already above 4 KM long and latest equipped with all class landing.......
It's scheduled maintenance and every major airport needs to go through the same process just take BKK as an example.

Old November 15th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #830
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Why are they questionable? Dubai is a country with forward thinking when you take a trip down memory lane. Emirates emerged a good 25 years ago with 2 aircraft & today they operate the largest fleet of B777's & A380's serving every continent. When you have SIN, HKG, ICN, PEK competing for a piece of the pie you need to stand out with a product offering they can't offer.
As I said before, I don't disagree there needs to be continuing investment, and I don't question the necessity of the terminal expansions. What I question is the scope and scale of the investment. For instance, the capacity of their premium facilities is un-proportionally large to the point where even with you have every seat in First Class filled, the First Class lounge will still be nowhere close to capacity. It's important to remain competitive, but I personally think if there is a move within 10-15 years, then the scale of the investments seems unnecessary and the same could be done at a lower investment.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #831
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
As I said before, I don't disagree there needs to be continuing investment, and I don't question the necessity of the terminal expansions. What I question is the scope and scale of the investment. For instance, the capacity of their premium facilities is un-proportionally large to the point where even with you have every seat in First Class filled, the First Class lounge will still be nowhere close to capacity. It's important to remain competitive, but I personally think if there is a move within 10-15 years, then the scale of the investments seems unnecessary and the same could be done at a lower investment.
The business class lounge at DXB is not just for business class pax. Skywards Gold pax traveling in economy can also use the, actully they can bring a friend in as well. The space in the lounged wrte always a problem with over crowding so these new larger lounges are a welcome addition. As we speak Skywards is also working on expanding the lounges in concourse B and C. People tend to forget how many people are traveling through DXB and its only going to get much higher. DXB will be the worlds largest airport in 2015 when it comes to international pax.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 08:00 AM   #832
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 752

I've been through DXB twice the last 2 weeks using terminals A and B.
Impressive, grand design but they really need to clean the windows (amazingly dirty).
Something that really sprung out is that toilet facilities are a real problem at DXB. Very few toilets and when they are present they are very small (2 or 3 urinals and 4 cubicals). It's almost like they forgot to include these facilities in the design and at the last minute chucked them in where ever they could find a few spare square metres.
Otherwise very state of the art.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 10:06 AM   #833
firoz bharmal

Likes (Received): 2416

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
I've been through DXB twice the last 2 weeks using terminals A and B.
Impressive, grand design but they really need to clean the windows (amazingly dirty).
Something that really sprung out is that toilet facilities are a real problem at DXB. Very few toilets and when they are present they are very small (2 or 3 urinals and 4 cubicals). It's almost like they forgot to include these facilities in the design and at the last minute chucked them in where ever they could find a few spare square metres.
Otherwise very state of the art.
As compare to any other airports....DXB faces sand storms which reduce the clarity........but of course...cleaning is necessary...!
Old November 16th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #834
EmiratesAirline380

Likes (Received): 581

Quote:
Wow, that's certainly a shock to the system. Nevertheless, this was the main drive behind the discussion; This highlights why such lavish terminals are being built at DXB to remain competitive and the survey provided clearly demonstrates how tough the competition really is & DXB personally still stand out.
Actually the reason why DXB suffers in in reviews is because there are many things that passengers hate about the airport. These are the usual complaints:

-Its too large and signs are confusing
-Too noisy with too many passenger announcements
-No quiet areas and terminal filled with duty free shopping and restaurants
-Very long lines and rude immigration officers
-Not enough seats
-Not enough toilets and toilets are dirty.
-Buses to aircraft parking stands located nearly half and hour away (this is especially bad since the Dubai heat and humidity is extremely uncomfortable.

Even premium passengers used to complain about the business class lounges being crowded (although I don't know if this is still a problem with Concourse A opening).
You can see that EK's extremely fast growth has caused a lot of these problems. Plus the fact that they want you to spend as much money as possible in the duty free, because the Dubai Duty Free makes a huge amount of cash. There's a reason why Dubai Duty Free makes more money than any other airport duty free in the world.
The long walking distances are simply because EK operates out of the largest airport terminal in the world.
As for the lack of toilet facilities, I'm really not sure why this happens. A lot of people complain about this as well. I guess they aren't listening to passengers when designing the concourses.
And the unprofessionalism and rudeness of immigration officers is a common complaint, but there is not much you can do about that. There are times when you can get friendly officers though. I've gotten used to it, but I'm sure tourists visiting Dubai will be pretty angry and annoyed with the officers attitudes. The long lines is another problem. I mean, sometimes you reach immigration and they only have half the counters open. This is silly considering the amount of passengers although to be fair, long lines is a complaint at all airports and even Changi has long lines.

These were the main complaints before concourse A opened though. I'm not sure if the airport still has the same problems. In the times I've traveled through DXB with EK this year, my travel experience didn't have most of those problems, so they are certainly improving. But in Terminal 1, I still see very long lines in immigration, and the one time I traveled with FlyDubai, I waited nearly an hour in the line (and this was just with 2 flights landing at the same time!). I guess I really need to get an egate card.

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders

Last edited by EmiratesAirline380; November 16th, 2013 at 12:26 PM.
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #835
KIWIKAAS

Concourse A has the same issues from the looks. Seems the only difference is a higher roof than Concourse B.
So they didn't learn a damn thing

I don't want to get too focused on toilets but a major longhaul hub airport needs lots of toilet facilities, and lots of sitting areas.
DXB really lacks these.

Last edited by KIWIKAAS; November 16th, 2013 at 01:47 PM.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #836
EmiratesAirline380

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
Concourse A has the same issues from the looks. Seems the only difference is a higher roof than Concourse B.
So they didn't learn a damn thing

I don't want to get too focused on toilets but a major longhaul hub airport needs lots of toilet facilities, and lots of sitting areas.
DXB really lacks these.
Yeah, I'm really not sure why there aren't enough of them.
In 2015 when EK takes over operation of all 3 concourses, I expect things to improve much more for passengers. For example, they are starting a major renovation of Terminal 1 and concourse C. I remember reading they are planning to move the entire duty free up one floor. Hopefully they address some of these problems as well. I'm also really hoping they extend the APM from concourse B to C. It would make sense and would certainly help reduce walking times between the concourses.
Also remember the combined capacity of all three concourses is 75 million, so overcrowding at EK's concourses won't be a problem till after 2020.

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

Old November 16th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #837
EmiratesAirline380

Today is the big day.. Its the start of the Dubai Airshow! Expect lots of big orders.

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

Old November 17th, 2013, 03:02 AM   #838
EK413

"Emirates Said to Be in Talks to Buy 50 Airbus A380 Superjumbos

Emirates, the world’s largest international airline, is in talks with Airbus SAS to purchase as many as 50 A380 superjumbos, people familiar with the negotiations said.
The order, valued at about $20 billion at list price, may be signed as early as today as the Dubai Air Show kicks off, said the people, who asked not to be named because details are private. "

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-1...jumbos-1-.html

Old November 17th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #839
EmiratesAirline380

Here are the list of orders so far:
-EY orders 25 B777X aircraft (8 777-8s and 17 777-9s), 30 B787-10s, and 1 B777F.
-FlyDubai orders 100 B737 MAX and 11 737-800s.
-EK orders a massive 150 B777X + 50 options worth $76bn.
-EK orders another 50 A380 aircraft.
-QR orders 50 B777X.

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

jarkti, EK413 liked this post
Old November 17th, 2013, 01:46 PM   #840
jarkti
World's Happiest Person

From Airbus Twitter