daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #161
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 126

I thought the blue line be essentially 2 lines, 1 that's an express line and another that stops at different places along the way.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2006, 12:01 AM   #162
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6077

What I wrotte is what RTA is looking at. It was mentioned in an article that I think was posted also on the forum.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #163
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD
I don't get yiour point, but JXB will be connected with DXB via dedicated high-speed express train lines (Blue Line), one for passangers and one for the lugagges, while Dubai Metro's red line will connect it with the rest of Dubai. What more do you want?

Is sickening hearing all these "experts" bashing Dubai for "lack" of services and facilities, when in reality non only those same things are planned, but are even being implemented as we speek.
Yet they are both airport bound services. Other cities do have airport links, but they also have seperate lines going to other areas of the city to ensure there isn't congestion.

I'm also aware of things being done, but who begins construction all this stuff and realises that there is going to be serious traffic problems (and there already is) because something like the Dubai Metro was an afterthought and this lack of overall masterplanning is worrying and will undoubtedly lead to further problems in the future.
nick_taylor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #164
AltinD
The Modecator

Both Airports will be connected to the other Metro lines. DXB to Green Line and JXB to the Red Line.

As mentioned earlier, the Blue Line will run from DXB to JXB and the plans under study are for having two separate tracks, one for regular services with several station during the way and the other for the high speed express service between the two airports with no other stops.

The traffic in Dubai is not worse then in London or in any other major city, is just that becouse most of the people use cars they face the jams and complain, while in London most of you use the Tube and other public transportation so yuo don't give a damn about motorists stuck in traffic.
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:44 AM   #165
nick_taylor
BANNED

Actually traffic in Dubai is one of the worst on the planet - its a city of 1mn and doesn't to my knowledge have a single station or peice of railway. The reason its jammed in Dubai is because there is no rock solid alternative and there won't be until what 2009? That said London does have traffic jams - but the entire city doesn't come to a halt and anyway the city has possibly the largest heavy rail network of any city on the planet to offer an alternative, so don't go on about London or other cities being as bad as Dubai because that its blatantly false.
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #166
AltinD
The Modecator

Bllah, bllah ...

Londiners travel for more then 1 hour to and from their working place, within the city. I drive for more then 1 hour (if traffic jam) to and from my office out of the city, 40 km from my home.
Old May 8th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #167
nick_taylor
BANNED

I think you'll find that the vast majority of people in London use public transport, so I don't know why someone would want to do a 1hr car commute every morning. Then again London is a far larger city, so naturally for its size there is going to be more traffic than Dubai, even though far more people use public transportation and this so happens to be much faster than a car, thus I'm out of Central London in around 40mins over a distance of 60km. During that time I could be taking a nap or reading the paper while your concentrating on ensuring you don't drive off into a dune.

The funny thing is, you won't have an alternative until 2009 and even then for the size that Dubai is growing, it won't be able to catch up thus ensuring that Dubai is going to continue to be one of the most congested cities in the known world.
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #168
AltinD
The Modecator

Sorry mate but with a 5 lane very wide, flat, streight and compleately iluminated at night, no way I'm going to drive into a dune. Not to mention that the aerea around the highway is developed and there is no dune in sight.

Thinking of it, in my 6 1/2 years of living in Dubai, I've seen the dunes only once, when I went in desert safari.

You might be out of London in 40 minutes, but that is just the comuting time, and doesn't include the time you need to reach the train platform, wait for the train to arrive and walking from the arrival train station to your home. Include all this, tell me how long it takes you from the door of your office to the door of your apartment/home.
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #169
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 126

When my sister was studying in London she said it would take her 2 hours or even more to get into college. Am not saying London's bad, since it's obviously not but I just thought I'd say this
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #170
drmadham

Likes (Received): 1

many of you people have a right to bring up the issue of workers being treated unfairly, because its true. Though they are paid better than in their respective countries and are given the chance to work in the first place, many times their salaries are meager or forgotten and their living conditions not improved upon.

But that can be said about many places in this world. So to say that the UAE is strife with the lack of human rights and fierce oppression - is misinformation and ignorance. There are problems, yes, but that doesnt mean everything else is terribly wrong.
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #171
nick_taylor
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD
Sorry mate but with a 5 lane very wide, flat, streight and compleately iluminated at night, no way I'm going to drive into a dune. Not to mention that the aerea around the highway is developed and there is no dune in sight.

Thinking of it, in my 6 1/2 years of living in Dubai, I've seen the dunes only once, when I went in desert safari.

You might be out of London in 40 minutes, but that is just the comuting time, and doesn't include the time you need to reach the train platform, wait for the train to arrive and walking from the arrival train station to your home. Include all this, tell me how long it takes you from the door of your office to the door of your apartment/home.
Straight roads are infact a bad thing, thats why with very long bridges they are deliberately built to have curves and crests to ensure that the driver is constantly alert. Straight roads over excessive lengths lead to lack of concentration and accidents. Doesn't Dubai have something like the highest accident rate also?

Probably 45mins, I'm not far from Liverpool Street where I'm based sometimes, while my home isn't far away from the station. Its good that my train is timetabled also allowing me to be back home around 5:45: thats quicker, more environmentally friendly and generally efficient. Either way I'd prefer to have the public transport of London than the car society of Dubai....I don't know why you even bother to argue this point.
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #172
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmadham
many of you people have a right to bring up the issue of workers being treated unfairly, because its true. Though they are paid better than in their respective countries and are given the chance to work in the first place, many times their salaries are meager or forgotten and their living conditions not improved upon.
indeed, u have that right. but this is not the right place.
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2006, 11:25 PM   #173
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Realistically speaking, 2009 isn't that long for Dubai to have metro service. Does anyone have a map of what will be in place in the first phase? And other phases?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #174
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
Realistically speaking, 2009 isn't that long for Dubai to have metro service. Does anyone have a map of what will be in place in the first phase? And other phases?
Hmm.... when I think about it.

The thing that I like about this train service is that just like in Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan, the train stations have PSDs (Platform Screen Doors).

Yet I wonder in certain rich countries, their mass transit system don't even have any PSDs or even platform gates.

Like in New York in America, no PSDs/platform gates. Same goes with the train service for London (although the UK government will have PSDs for the new train line for the 2012 Olympics??).

The Eurotrain service does not even have platform gates (what the heck?). How can they compete with the bullet-trains of Japan wherein more than 80% of the train stations have at least platform gates.

I thought the above mentioned countries are very rich but their mass transit system have certain things lacking.

This is something I can't understand.
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #175
nick_taylor
BANNED

There are PSD's in London, eg the Jubilee Line. Yet PSD's aren't necessarily great for all systems due to a lack of platform space. PSD's would look out of place on the new hub for Eurostar at St Pancras. For some, things such as new trains and accessible stations are far more needy.
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:05 PM   #176
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

bravo, nomarandlee was able to ruin this thread too

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDieselJockx
So, none of them care for education and other important things in life.
Really? Why do u think 90% of the Emiratis go to colleges? Highest rate in the world !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauderdalegator
Also, if the city is close to the coast which it appears to be, why not have a waterfront city and a seaport, since they're creating a diverse economy?
That is exactly what we have near Dubai World Central, a project named The Water Front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
I am not talking out of my arse. I am quoting a professional retail consultant who is hired to analyse the finances of malls and retail outlets in Dubai. Maybe the City Center mall is profitable but most are not. Even if they are packed with people they are not necessarily buying. Many of them may be just sheltering from the heat in the cool air conditioning.
Exactly like the professional consultants who have always doubted that Jebel Ali port would be profitable or Mall of the Emirates who had 10 million visitors in the last 6 months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_taylor
The funny thing is, you won't have an alternative until 2009 and even then for the size that Dubai is growing, it won't be able to catch up thus ensuring that Dubai is going to continue to be one of the most congested cities in the known world.
The number of cars being registered in the last 5 years is more its number in 20 years before. We have about 600,000 cars moving in this city.

Last edited by smussuw; May 19th, 2006 at 10:20 PM.
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #177
kronik

Likes (Received): 26

Dubai looks way too overplanned. I think for the city to grow its own culture, they need to let loose a little.

Plus build some quality suburbs, which i guess is not that feasible in a desert, hence the concentration?
kronik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 03:24 AM   #178
DUBAI
Under the Burj

Likes (Received): 1

Actualy the level of 'underplanning' in some areas is amazing, they built the marina for example, right opposite a massiv suberb development [some of which is very high quality, and complety forgot to improve the roads. 1 lane each way for 70,000 people!

projects that appear to be very highly planned arent nececaraly, look at dubai marina, which despite being masterplanned has now become realativly random, with towers being squeesed in, and roads being moved to accomidate new buildings.
Old May 20th, 2006, 05:16 AM   #179
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik
Dubai looks way too overplanned. I think for the city to grow its own culture, they need to let loose a little.

Plus build some quality suburbs, which i guess is not that feasible in a desert, hence the concentration?
Overplanned? How can a city be overplanned? All cities have a plan to them. I think that you're pointing out that they're planning and building alot of things at once which isn't a bad thing at all.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 05:29 AM   #180
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 485

WTF! Why dosnt dubai atleast just give me one friggen billion dollars....it would do nothing to them since they seem to be just tossing away all there money in useless investments!!! THIS 33B COULD HAVE GONE TO POOR AFRICA
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airport, dubai, emirates, south asian hub airport