daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #21
melbstud

Likes (Received): 7

Actually howelle I can. I have been to Hampstead Heath so the pictures you see I have seen in real life. Melbourne has 3 zones and being hour outside the Central Business District is considered part of Melbourne so its a spread and big city, 4 million people with big houses, shops, cafes, parks and so on, we are very fortunate we have space. Toorak which is one of Melbourne's most affluent suburbs has more than Hampstead Heath could ever have. Its very similar and it isnt what you call a " center of a metropolis with a villa in suburban Australia" with the same distance to town like Hampstead Heth but far better with old houses and new one's too, , mansions galore, then you go to other suburbs such as Malvern, Armadale, Caulfield North and Brighton which is by the water and they too still surpass a house in Hampstead Heatwell the majority anywayh, not one of those pictures had a tennis court in it whihc was odd. I showed these pictures to my colleagues and their response was, " it doesnt look that special", as you could get houses minus the cars in somewher like Endeavour Hills or Templestowe here in Melbourne. I understand its rare to have land and a garden in London so I must say I did like it there, it reminded me of home so my point was that i guess us Australians shouldnt take what we have for granted. As for Ramsey St dont judge us by that thats in Vermont a northerns suburb quite ordinary!!

Nice pictures anyway. Not having a go as my original comment was "Is nice but to be honest it looks like normal suburbia in Australia, except some are by the beach".
melbstud no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #22
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8829

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbstud View Post
We are fortunate to have houses of that calibre if not bigger we call them Mc Mansions and there are plenty of suburbs like these. The only difference is these houses are older. Canada housing is interesting they have no fences much like the USA, very odd.
If Australian houses are constructed anything like Kiwi ones then your McMansions are nothing like Hampsted Heath houses. Older British houses weren't constructed with stud walls which you could punch through like many of those modern McMansions you're referring to.

I happen to know central London and have been to Australian cities recently and I can tell you that housing stock like that in Britain far surpasses newer, cheaply constructed rubbish that you get in Australia and New Zealand. My friend lives in the outskirts of Capalaba in Brisbane and although her house is very nice, it is poorly constructed in my opinion (despite having a pricetag of $800,000AU).

Also - good for Aus/NZ, we can sprawl! YEY!
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #23
melbstud

Ofcourse the newer houses dont have the old pipes, detailed ceilings and cracked floors some of older ones do too here, comparing houses in Australia and New Zealand is a cop out, very different depedning on where ya live. Again for the sensitive Londerners I am not saying hampstead is bad just saying by suburb standards it aint anyhting too amazing.

As for the " cheaply constructed rubbish that you get in Australia and New Zealand.", I suppose the old same looking stuck together houses in the UK are so appealing and private. Looks like our housing commisions. No wonder sepearet housing has you in total awe.

Also just to fix " I have also been to Australian cities recently" wow congratulations but I dont think you made it to any of the suburbs I listed, so dont piss in your own backyard.
Old June 26th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #24
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Ofcourse the newer houses dont have the old pipes, detailed ceilings and cracked floors some of older ones do too here, comparing houses in Australia and New Zealand is a cop out, very different depedning on where ya live. Again for the sensitive Londerners I am not saying hampstead is bad just saying by suburb standards it aint anyhting too amazing.

As for the " cheaply constructed rubbish that you get in Australia and New Zealand.", I suppose the old same looking stuck together houses in the UK are so appealing and private. Looks like our housing commisions. No wonder sepearet housing has you in total awe.

Also just to fix " I have also been to Australian cities recently" wow congratulations but I dont think you made it to any of the suburbs I listed, so dont piss in your own backyard.
Mate, you come into a London picture thread and start banging on about how wonderful Melbourne is and how its suburbs are on-par with London yadda yadda - expect a reaction.

You're also trying to glorify sprawl on a skyscraper site. I'll take the urbinity of London as a whole over Melbourne-esque sprawl anyday for the record.

I've seen your posting elsewhere on this site, glorifying Australia and doing your best to act like a good 'strayan battler in the face of the adversity of the world and to be honest it's tiresome. If you have nothing nice to say about other cities worldwide, then shut up.

Finally, I'm not a Londoner, nor have I ever lived in London and if you did but notice I happen to live in Auckland now.
Old June 26th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #25
melbstud

Hypocrite is one word I have to say to you. "cheaply constructed rubbish that you get in Australia and New Zealand", again your pissing in your own backyard and telling me not to diss other countries when your doing it yourself. Dont take the high and mighty road with me its a forum, people voice their opinions DEAL WITH IT.

By the way its in the Urban Showcase folder so its there amongst the other worlds great cities. So your a kiwi , just lovely. I guess it being 1 am in Auckland your vision is impaired to my comment on " nice photos yadda yadda yadda".
Old June 26th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #26
melbstud

also im not your mate, im not a man its melbourne student but shortened (melbstud). im a lady so have some respect.
Old June 26th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #27
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Hypocrite is one word I have to say to you. "cheaply constructed rubbish that you get in Australia and New Zealand", again your pissing in your own backyard and telling me not to diss other countries when your doing it yourself. Dont take the high and mighty road with me its a forum, people voice their opinions DEAL WITH IT.

By the way its in the Urban Showcase folder so its there amongst the other worlds great cities. So your a kiwi , just lovely. I guess it being 1 am in Auckland your vision is impaired to my comment on " nice photos yadda yadda yadda".
Not going to persue this further as I can't be bothered to argue with someone so utterly convinced of their own superiority (plus it's detracting from the original posters excellent photos).

I do have to correct you on one point though. It appears I am not the only one to suffer from "visual impairment" seeing as you called me a Kiwi when it states quite catagorically under my user icon that I lived 19 years of my life in Northampton (UK).

I think it's safe to say that I'm British rather than a Kiwi.

PS: Just because you're female doesn't mean you garner any extra respect from me. Respect is earned not instantly acquired based upon your gender.
Old June 26th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #28
melbstud

congratulations, i am so over you pointing out whats right and wrong, enjoy being right about everything, your such a good catch.
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #29
SimsPlanet2

Likes (Received): 279

In my opinion it doesn't look very rich, or isn't that the meaning of this thread? Though I really like the pictures, especially the skyline-ones.
SimsPlanet2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #30
cle

Likes (Received): 524

Great picture quality - but actually it looks more like Hmapstead Garden Suburb than true Hampstead.

There should be more of the nice terraces around Belsize Park, the cottages up the hill by The Holly Bush, the Georgian square off Fitzjohn's Avenue etc...

The architecture isn't inspiring (although it certainly will have inspired Aus/NZ/US/Canadian McMansions) but other parts of Hampstead are amazing.

And for the record, none of the shabby housing stock in Melbourne compares to the top-quality London houses. Judging by a tennis court? You sure you aren't from the Gold Coast? Why not include how many tvs or garages they have?

Toorak is nothing special - still has those shabby sticky-outy wooden shop fronts, antiquated power lines in every street and is totally nouveau riche and vulgar. Understated opulence is not something Australia does well.

You can't compare the home of Keats, Shelley, Elliot and Freud to that of a few Neighbours people.
cle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #31
Colonel Light

Likes (Received): 1

Beautiful. I love it and would be happy to bet those streets have a feel that's pretty special. The English 'do' money in a fantastically subtle way in areas like this. Its only the CCTV monitored entrances and serious driveway hardware that give it away.

The Maybach or the Ferrari? Your Aston or my Phantom?
Colonel Light no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #32
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

melbstud, anyone who knows me from posts here long enough knows I'm not one to highly favor London. But even this non-London lover thinks you are turning this London thread into a Melbourne thread. OK, so you gave your opinion. Then someone gave their's. Then you give your opinion about that opinion. Then you give an opinion about the opinion on your previous opinion. Then it becomes an ongoing debate, which is not necessary.
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #33
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Machine View Post
:O I like the cars!!!! Too bad for the architecture...it just exudes old money, which means old fashioned!!! I can only imagine the interiors being completely gaudy
Are you taking the piss? Many of these houses are not old money, they are wealthy middle class homes. The interiors of many of these buildings are awesome, and they would surprise you.
Old June 26th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #34
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

Quote:

You really are a total prick and I am amazed you come to a perfectly good thread and balls it up with your vacant Melbourne/Australia comparisons. You really have outdone yourself with both your dishonesty and ability to derail.
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #35
Bluegate74

Likes (Received): 12

Very nice, although its a shame you couldnt have include some pics of Hampstead village, the planned Victorian crescents and streets. These pics were mostly from suburban Hampstead most of the houses featured being built since the 1930s. But great quality nontheless.
Bluegate74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #36
L.V

Likes (Received): 0

Hello everyone, am posting for my first time on here, been a lurker for ages!
Anyway heres my take.
I myself live in hertfordshire county, and have been to us suburbs, and seen aerials or aus suburbs and bonds us sprawl festival, and certainly their houses are huge and many would eclipse these in size, such as looking at some photo of some suburb in indianapolis or the chicago north suburbs, but none of those houses really have the same village feel or character that you get from these neighbo(u)rhoods, and its hard to get that feel from the photos. For those of us in the uk, I don't know if you've watched the show wanted down under, but I saw this family from bedfordshire try out a home in brisbane and certainly it was huge, about the same size as one of these mansions, but when it came to the exterior, to me it was ugly, just lacked the same character and class of some of the mansions here. Even the semi-detached(duplex) home of that family I thought was far better looking than the mcmansion in brisbane. About the interiors, I am sure these homes have the lastest fitted kitchens and modern interiors, in many cottages near me, they have moddern bright interiors with contemporary furniture and styling, and modern kitchens. I think its a big mistake to judge what the interior would be like of a building by what it looks like.
L.V no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 02:34 AM   #37
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 93

What kind of a pissing contest is that supposed to be?

Great pics!
And how on earth does that not look wealthy? Look at the cars, for god's sake!

This is my new wallpaper, btw. So beautiful. I really need to go to London again.
http://www.box.net/shared/static/hj0r0k0oc8.jpg

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:36 AM   #38
Joy Machine
George

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Are you taking the piss? Many of these houses are not old money, they are wealthy middle class homes. The interiors of many of these buildings are awesome, and they would surprise you.
umm, no, I am neither "taking the piss" nor am I being confrontational such as yourself. I'm just saying the architecture is rather boring and that it seems very traditional. If I remember the pictures correctly, the style almost seemed to be a mix from the Arts and Crafts movement and Classical (but I could be wrong). For the most part, people who can afford whatever they want and are into that style come from very traditional families that have established names and wealth. It's what they've grown up in. New money are generally more modern and "trendy" when it comes to style. As for interiors, I have no idea, I was just saying I could imagine it being very gaudy.

Oh and upper middle class people generally do not have two to four $300,000 cars in their driveway. And it was claimed as "the wealthiest neighborhood" which hardly constitutes upper middle class So get off the pot and perk up buttercup
Joy Machine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #39
melbstud

zenith im scared very very scared. Its funny how im not the only one who doesnt think that it looks very rich being Londons most wealthiest suburb.
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:10 PM   #40
melbstud

zenith im scared very very scared. Its funny how im not the only one who doesnt think that it looks very rich being Londons most wealthiest suburb.