daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 27th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #41
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20313

Probably not actually Joymachine, I can't imagine Bjork or Kate Winslet being into chintzy old-fashioned furniture.
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #42
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

@melbstud. I'm not entirely sure you understand the differences here between this neighbourhood and Australian suburbs. It seems you were saying that these houses are nothing special as they are nothing more than typical Australian housing.

If that is the case, it is certainly not true. I'm Australian myself, so I do know what a typical house is like in Australia.

For a start, it's all about location. This neighbourhood is a stones throw away from central London. Now, I know you are quite fond of Melbourne, and I do also think it is a marvelous city. But it is simply not London. London is far larger than Melbourne, and don't go on about 4million to London's 7.4million. That is only the city proper population of London, and the Melbourne one you quote is the Metropolitan area population. If you take London's metro area, it is enormously larger than Melbourne's.

You also have to take into account global importance. London is on a level so far above Melbourne in this respect, they are almost incomparable.

Why am I bringing all this up? Location.

These houses are very close to central London, considering it's size and importance, it does make it quite a different kettle of fish. Maybe the houses don't look that big to you. Many are certainly quite sizable for being so close to the city. But, you have to remember that many wealthy Londoner's live out in the surrounding metro area where they can buy even larger houses for less money. So why would some choose to live in these smaller ones and pay a fortune. Location, that's why.

As for your comparison with the average Australian house being as large. It is certainly true that Australian's can afford wonderful fully detached homes. I lived in such homes as a child, but to be affordable to the average Australian they usually have to be well out in the suburbs unless we are talking about the smaller cities and towns. Keep in mind that many people in the larger cities, especially Sydney, can't afford such homes and live in apartments still.

But those big detached houses do come at a cost and that is low density suburban sprawl. You, and many others may prefer that car dependent lifestyle, but others and there are plenty here on this forum, would prefer a denser more urban lifestyle. I myself would way prefer to live close to the city in a smaller apartment than one of those McMansions you boasted about, and if I lived in Melbourne or Sydney, I can tell you right away it wouldn't be in a McMansion in the suburbs but an apartment or terraced house in the central area. By the way, are you aware of why they are called McMansions? It's not a positive connotation; They are called thus due to their mass production and poor quality materials much compared to McDonalds food and where size is preferred over quality. Although these houses are certainly sufficient, they have a vast difference in quality over the ones shown here. Quality is not noticed by everyone, afterall, there are some people that couldn't tell the difference between a Big Mac and michelin star restaurant, but for those that can tell the difference, it is stark.

Keep in mind, the people who spent £20+ on these houses could of cause choose to save their money and buy a McMansion in Melbourne. Why have they not done this? Surely there must be a reason they would want to spend so much more on property in this location.

Last edited by Justme; June 29th, 2008 at 12:07 PM.
Justme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #43
howelee

Likes (Received): 9

Justme, I don't understand, since you are an Australian, and you live in Frankfurt, how come you are such an enthusiastic supporter of London?
howelee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #44
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by howelee View Post
Justme, I don't understand, since you are an Australian, and you live in Frankfurt, how come you are such an enthusiastic supporter of London?
Why is it so odd? This is the EU, I can live and work anywhere in the EU. My company happens to based in Frankfurt and I quite like working here. However, I have a lot of links with London, visit it several times a year for pleasure and business and quite frankly, I like the place.

Is this so hard to understand?

I also have a soft spot for Barcelona, Paris and Berlin, could this also cause you confusion and anguish?
Old June 29th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #45
howelee

man, i was just asking, there is nothing serious here, don't be that sensitive, it makes you seem like a Euro-nationalist on this forum.

BTW, did you see that I can appreciate the traditional beauty of London? however I still insist that London's modern side is a piece of shit.
howelee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #46
Patachou

Likes (Received): 16

Thank you for sharing such beautiful pictures of Hampstead. I've been there many times. There is so much to explore. It's so restful yet so close to central London!! Many writers, artists and intellectuals have chosen to live in Hampstead.
Patachou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #47
HD
°°°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Machine View Post

Oh and upper middle class people generally do not have two to four $300,000 cars in their driveway. And it was claimed as "the wealthiest neighborhood" which hardly constitutes upper middle class So get off the pot and perk up buttercup

apparently the middle class in britain is driving maybach and bentley ...

great pics by the way. the houses may not be as spectacular, as in some other parts of london (which I would classified as wealthier than this neighborhood), but the area is really great for so many reasons - and it's understandable, why many rich chose to live there.
Old June 30th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #48
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by howelee View Post
man, i was just asking, there is nothing serious here, don't be that sensitive, it makes you seem like a Euro-nationalist on this forum.

BTW, did you see that I can appreciate the traditional beauty of London? however I still insist that London's modern side is a piece of shit.
If you ask a stupid question...
Old June 30th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #49
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

Quote:
umm, no, I am neither "taking the piss" nor am I being confrontational such as yourself.
I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound so harsh with you.
Old June 30th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #50
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbstud View Post
zenith im scared very very scared. Its funny how im not the only one who doesnt think that it looks very rich being Londons most wealthiest suburb.
It isn't London's wealthiest suburb, so you have proceeded all this time from a false presumption.

Last edited by Zenith; June 30th, 2008 at 06:56 PM.
Zenith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #51
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

Quote:
umm, no, I am neither "taking the piss" nor am I being confrontational such as yourself. I'm just saying the architecture is rather boring and that it seems very traditional. If I remember the pictures correctly, the style almost seemed to be a mix from the Arts and Crafts movement and Classical (but I could be wrong). For the most part, people who can afford whatever they want and are into that style come from very traditional families that have established names and wealth. It's what they've grown up in. New money are generally more modern and "trendy" when it comes to style. As for interiors, I have no idea, I was just saying I could imagine it being very gaudy.

Oh and upper middle class people generally do not have two to four $300,000 cars in their driveway. And it was claimed as "the wealthiest neighborhood" which hardly constitutes upper middle class So get off the pot and perk up buttercup

The American Upper Class is not the same as the British, even if you ahve 40 zilion pounds, you're not upper class imidiatley.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #52
Grollo
Developer

Likes (Received): 1027

Why do the people in this area seem to have all have their cars parked in their driveways and on the street. Do they not have room for big garages or do they just like to show off?
Old June 30th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #53
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20313

A lot of the older houses might not have garages because they were built before cars came along, but yes, some people probably do like to show off by leaving their cars on view outside the front of their home.
Jonesy55 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #54
Snowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD View Post
apparently the middle class in britain is driving maybach and bentley ...

great pics by the way. the houses may not be as spectacular, as in some other parts of london (which I would classified as wealthier than this neighborhood), but the area is really great for so many reasons - and it's understandable, why many rich chose to live there.
Chelsea and Kensington etc. may look wealthier than Hampstead, but the appeal of Hampstead is because it looks like a quaint English village (although most of the pictures here don't show the villagey feel), but it's just a stones-throw away from Central London. That's what makes it such a desirable place to live. Areas like Mayfair, Chelsea and Kensington may look more "showy" and more "stereotypically London" than Hampstead, but some people prefer the quieter, more villagey feel of Hampstead and I imagine it appeals more to those with families.

I don't think that many of the people who have posted here appreciate that what makes Hampstead so special is it's location - a quiet, beautiful safe haven right in the centre (zone 2, out of 6) of one of the world's most vibrant, bustling metropolises, after all there are many villages and suburbs all over the UK which are as nice, if not nicer than Hampstead and the housing there is a fraction of the cost.................but it's Hampstead's location which makes people willing to splash out £20 million for a house there.
Snowy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #55
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
A lot of the older houses might not have garages because they were built before cars came along, but yes, some people probably do like to show off by leaving their cars on view outside the front of their home.
Some people prefer the convenience of parking their cars where they are more easily accessible. Plus they can show them off.
Old June 30th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #56
Snowy

Beautiful villagey Hampstead

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #57
Snowy

Modernist buildings in Hampstead

Isokon Building

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Could almost eat it.

Stanbury Court

image hosted on flickr

Frognal Way

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

1-3 Willow Road. This was the work of the famous modernist architect, Erno Goldfinger, who also chose to live here for many years. James Bond author, Ian Fleming disliked Goldfinger's work so much that he named one of his most famous villains after him.............you can probably guess which one.

image hosted on flickr
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:46 PM   #58
philadweller

"^ I doubt normal suburbs in Australian can deliver houses anywhere close to these ones.. Most likely you are not paying attention to the size of the houses, quality of the roofing tiles and brick, windows, etc. These houses are comparable to those found in the richest neighborhoods in Canada -- certainly not the middle class ones."

Please name which richest area in Canada. Maybe Westmount in Montreal or Rosedale but those neighborhood are much newer.

I would say this is more like the richer areas of northeastern US cities like Chestnut Hill or Delancey Street in Philadelphia....or Beacon Hill and Brookline in Boston.

Melbourne is very new in comparison to Hampstead Heath. Look at the scale and the craftsmanship and you will see. This is the real thing here in London, not some repro hood.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:46 PM   #59
Patachou

very nice
Patachou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:52 PM   #60
Joy Machine
George

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound so harsh with you.
You're still squawking?
Joy Machine no está en línea   Reply With Quote