daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 50 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 19th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #1
london lad

Likes (Received): 479

Battersea Power Station £8bn redevelopment | Nine Elms | U/C

EDIT: Continued from previous thread.

- wjfox

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder what Boris & Simon will think of this hmmmmmmm.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=3116482

Battersea Power Station - images

19 June, 2008

By Will Hurst

The first images of Rafael Viñoly's mixed-use design for Battersea Power Station have been revealed.

Owner and developer Real Estate Opportunities (REO) is aiming for the £4 billion scheme to become a zero carbon exemplar, BD's sister paper Property Week is due to report on Friday.

REO, part of Irish firm Treasury, aims to restore the derelict Grade II*-listed power station and convert it into a range of uses including apartments, retail, and a hotel while the remainder of the site will host a range of residential and office uses within a transparent structure topped by a 300m-high tower.

The tower itself appears to echo the chimneys of Giles Gilbert Scott’s power station itself.

Last edited by wjfox; June 24th, 2008 at 09:33 PM.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 19th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #2
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1699

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Thank god we're having a recession.

JoeFredd, stevekeiretsu liked this post
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 10:53 PM   #3
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
I wonder what Boris & Simon will think of this hmmmmmmm.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=3116482

Battersea Power Station - images

19 June, 2008

By Will Hurst

The first images of Rafael Viñoly's mixed-use design for Battersea Power Station have been revealed.

Owner and developer Real Estate Opportunities (REO) is aiming for the £4 billion scheme to become a zero carbon exemplar, BD's sister paper Property Week is due to report on Friday.

REO, part of Irish firm Treasury, aims to restore the derelict Grade II*-listed power station and convert it into a range of uses including apartments, retail, and a hotel while the remainder of the site will host a range of residential and office uses within a transparent structure topped by a 300m-high tower.

The tower itself appears to echo the chimneys of Giles Gilbert Scott’s power station itself.

Frak me!!! I was not expecting a supertall here of all places.

I don't expect many people too, but... I like it. It looks like it could turn out a bit Tour Sans Fins, and the amount of greenery looks fantastic. I look forward to seeing more detailed plans. I can't see it going ahead, but it would be interesting if it did.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #4
delores

Likes (Received): 172

omg...what on earth!?? so whats happened to the actual power station?
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #5
BenL

Likes (Received): 0

Indeed. It looks like they don't want to bother repairing the roof and are turning the innards into open space. Interesting idea but I think it's a bit of a cop out. Frankly, I just think it's important something gets built but I really can't see Wandsworth Council or Battersea's MP supporting this development, let alone Boris and Milton.
BenL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #6
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1819

Such a shame this project has no chance in hell to get built!
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #7
DarJoLe

I'm sorry this is still making me laugh.

I mean honestly. All that work and money spent on designing this.
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:27 PM   #8
london lad

Likes (Received): 479

Full story in PW tomorrow so will look out for it.

Its obvious this was conceived in pre-Boris times & were relying on Ken with his new powers to approve planning appications to push this through. But now it wont be getting such an easy ride. There were plans to designate this whole stretch from BPS to Vauxhall as high density residential but not sure what will happen to these plans now tha Boris & Simon are the kings of the block.

H&S will also , im sure have words to say on this as they are getting rather uppety with regard developments near large gas holders.

Still, it be an interesting year or so on this as it gets put in for planning and is pillored from post to post from various sides.

I wonder what the restore battersea station brigade will make of this
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #9
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

Likes (Received): 43

WOW i love this its mental. Theres no chance of this getting built but it is fab.
Pompey77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #10
delores

Likes (Received): 172

The original scheme seems so much more resolved and was predominantly low rise. This is basically a massive redevopment of the site behind the station leaving the power station to be a quiet residential complex?
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #11
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 187

Based on looking simply at two images it appears to be an amazing concept and very different to past proposals, but is it serious? It will force Boris's hand though, to state whether he would be open to such a futuristic project or not. The high rise appears to be enormous, the third upper stage of the building shown on the ariel view isn't even included on the elevational image. This must be at least 1,000 ft high. It will be interesting to find out how many affordable housing units are included.
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #12
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
Based on looking simply at two images it appears to be an amazing concept and very different to past proposals, but is it serious? It will force Boris's hand though, to state whether he would be open to such a futuristic project or not. The high rise appears to be enormous, the third upper stage of the building shown on the ariel view isn't even included on the elevational image. This must be at least 1,000 ft high. It will be interesting to find out how many affordable housing units are included.
The article says the tower rises to 300m.
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #13
DarJoLe

The thing is, I sport of like the idea of leaving the power station a shell and covering it with a super park, almost a sort of a modern day ruined castle that you can explore around, as long as it's safe just let nature take it's course.

The trouble is no developer is going to do this because obviously they wouldn't make any money, so this ridiculous developer proposes a massive glass greenhouse with a rubbish third rate tower on top.

I can't even blame Vinoly because I get the impression from this design even he thinks it's a rubbish masterplan.
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #14
fitz44

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores View Post
omg...what on earth!?? so whats happened to the actual power station?
It looks like it's become residential (?) with a central square. That covered space looks truely amazing. As for the tower - well lets just watch it become amputated, pruned and disfigured over the coming months. Such a shame, five years earlier and it might have actually been built.
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #15
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz44 View Post
It looks like it's become residential (?) with a central square. That covered space looks truely amazing. As for the tower - well lets just watch it become amputated, pruned and disfigured over the coming months. Such a shame, five years earlier and it might have actually been built.
I think it looks incredibly futuristic and would have been great with some refining. However, I don't expect anything like this to go ahead, Boris and Simon won't let it happen unless the tower is at the very least halved in height.
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #16
DarJoLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
Boris and Simon won't let it happen unless the tower is at the very least halved in height.
I doubt even that.
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #17
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
I doubt even that.
Yep, I agree
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #18
henry

Likes (Received): 3

Vinoly is going to be giving a talk on Albermale street on the 9th July for the London Festival of Architecture. Perhaps someone will ask him about the this project, I might see if I can go myself.

Link

JoeFredd liked this post
henry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 01:24 AM   #19
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 91

the greenhouse idea is bonkers and the tower looks pretty ugly. looks like a 'concept' idea that practices put out to get some PR and not a serious proposal by a developer.

going from those renders it seems that the walls of the power station will house apartments with the central portion some sort of courtyard.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #20
RugBurn

Likes (Received): 3

wow.... if only.....sigh
RugBurn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: