daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 64 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 20th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #41
potto

Likes (Received): 2025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
Aside from the tower, there are many other new buildings proposed for the site. I wonder whether the tower is really necessary for the economics to work?

It has to be said though that this tower will not impact views from St James Pk looking east.
with a new tube station I would imagine so. A bit like the Victoria Station redevelopment. The tower/glass chimney is also integral to the sustainability of the heat exchange of the office element.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 20th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #42
potto

"The roofs of the office blocks, which will be in a hot pocket of air at the top of the dome, will be turned into tropical gardens"

another wow!
Old June 20th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #43
london lad

Likes (Received): 494

Says a lot about the man who bemoans iconic architecture & the constant promotion of it in most of his recent articles . Yet he was the one that pushed for Zaha Hadids AF HQ that was cancelled even though Land Secs were prepared to shell out £5m quid towards it so he's got a cheek to be talking about unbuilt star projects in London.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #44
Legal Beagle

Likes (Received): 0

What a ridiculous proposal. Yes it looks amazing but I would have preferred to see plans for something a bit more realistic. It is entirely clear to me now that BPS will end up rotting for another 10 years before it eventually has to be demolished.
Legal Beagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #45
randolph

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
BORIS BLOODY JOHNSON. F***ING ****. And his crony friend Simon Milton. Bastards. Arrrrrgh.
Interesting that you can't bring yourself to write '*******' and have no problem with '****'

If London actually built some of these darn proposals it would be one of the most amazing places on earth! As it is if this ever gets built I will eat my proverbial hat - its got no Chance mate!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiwfnLf-MN0
randolph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #46
potto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Beagle View Post
What a ridiculous proposal. Yes it looks amazing but I would have preferred to see plans for something a bit more realistic. It is entirely clear to me now that BPS will end up rotting for another 10 years before it eventually has to be demolished.
it is only unrealistic in the minds of a few people who have a bee under their bonnet over tall things. It is a perfectly practical solution for the site and provides so many solutions to so many issues. If we as Londoners can not fight against this illogical mindset just because it appears in an obviously biased local newspaper then we had might as well all pack our bags now.

Funny how the columnist when mentioning that the glass section will be visible from Hungerford Bridge (only opened 5 years ago) forgets to also mention St Georges wharf which will be far nearer.
Old June 20th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #47
potto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Beagle View Post
Are you seriously suggesting that this mixed used scheme on a derelict brown field site in a forgotten corner of London is akin as Rown Moore put it to such schemes as straightening the Thames and that giant stone tower on top of Selfridges?!
Old June 20th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #48
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 3223

gah, i crawl out of bed suffering from flu and find this in my inbox. sod sod sod. late

love it though, looks great but how do they plan on getting it through planning?
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #49
potto

the tall glass chimney aspect? The new mayor? Well the tall aspect is part of the sustainability claims, was looking at the map at the views from Hungerford bridge, it will be a close call, but then maybe the visible bit will just be the glass section? Also St Georges Wharf will surely be more prominent? I dont see it much different to LBT and Beetham.
Old June 20th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #50
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 27

This is not going to happen.

Put your dicks away and zip up your trousers.
Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #51
henry

Likes (Received): 3

Well I think you'd have to say Rowan Moore has made a fairly reasonable case against this, even if you disagree with him. If I was an architect, which i'm not, I don't think I would have designed a 1000ft skyscraper on this site. As Moore says, the power station is the 'iconic' building on this site, you don't necessarily need another one. But he also acknowledges the case for building, this sense that I think a lot of people writing on here have, the feeling that says 'why can't we just once build something truly bold'. Funnily enough I found myself thinking this as I looked at the renders, even as the sensible half of my brian was making a list of all the reasons this was a mad.

Another thought, I know Fosters are drawing up a masterplan for the Nine Elms site, can we assume from this proposal that the Foster plan will include at least one very tall building?
henry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #52
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 3223

but we have had the mayor and company criticise skyscrpaers in vauxhall for ruining the view of parliament. this will be a building several times the height of battersea power station!
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #53
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 284

1. This is an exciting proposal. All the low-carb tech is good stuff, the mix of uses sounds excellent, the conversion of BPS sounds appropriate - it's exactly the sort of thing that should happen to the area.
2. The massive scale of the plans, incl. tube link etc, does make it a very long-term project - and given BPS's history, I doubt any of us would put any money on it actually coming to pass - but realistically, if BPS is going to be saved, it'll have to be as part of a huge deal like this.
3. I don't think BPS needs to be saved at any cost, however. Few countries would hesitate to knock down a decommissioned and derelict power station on a prime development site in the middle of the capital city.
4. I have no problem with a big tower in Battersea, but it's simply a matter of fact that it would feature prominently in protected sight lines for the Palace of W.
5. That means Boris has perfectly reasonable grounds to oppose the scheme if he wants to. But we don't know that he will oppose it. It'll be fascinating to see how he plays it.
6. Personally I have no problem with changing those sight-lines if it's with something beautiful.
7. The render from above looks pretty good, but from the river I think it's an ugly scheme as it stands - I'd hope for pretty major changes before it got through planning - but presumably that would be inevitable.
8. I usually share everyone else's irritation with Rowan Moore, but I don't see much wrong with this particular article.
9. I'm not sure why I've numbered my points.
Old June 20th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #54
UrbanG

Likes (Received): 7

I love the scale and industrial reverence of this proposal. the tower compliments the towers of BPS but without interfering with it - in contrast to the previous proposal where we had the new bits crawling all over BPS and altering its form. I would love something like this to be built but doubt it will - if it were smaller, less ambitious and mediocre, maybe.
UrbanG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #55
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 944

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto View Post
with a new tube station I would imagine so. A bit like the Victoria Station redevelopment. The tower/glass chimney is also integral to the sustainability of the heat exchange of the office element.
Also Battersea Queens Town Road and Battersea Park stations are right by the site. The thing is practically surrounded by Clapham Junction remember.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:26 PM   #56
potto

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanG View Post
I love the scale and industrial reverence of this proposal. the tower compliments the towers of BPS but without interfering with it - in contrast to the previous proposal where we had the new bits crawling all over BPS and altering its form. I would love something like this to be built but doubt it will - if it were smaller, less ambitious and mediocre, maybe.
Exactly. What sort of drive created Battersea Power Station in the first place?

This inability to see the positive points, both aesthetically and enivonrmentally in having a lot of massing taken up by strong vertical structure is the core issue that people continuely fail to grasp.

Instead of apologetically filling every nook and cranny with bulk creep, ending up with a monotone skyline (to pretend that we are being considerate to the past while covering our eyes), this is having our cake and eating it!

We should be fighting for this scheme not lying down.

Certainly we should be cautious over mock-hysteria of a view that was only available 5 years ago and will be added to anyway in the near future!

It is interesting to note that Rowan Moore did not mention the original proposed Albert Memorial in his list of 'ridiculous' schemes.

Last edited by potto; June 20th, 2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #57
potto

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...bcnbatt120.xml

The most striking element of the scheme is the 300 metre high chimney, which is designed to reduce carbon emissions. Battersea Power Station will once again generate electricity but this time from renewable sources, not coal.

REO hails it as "the largest solar driven natural ventilation system ever conceived", eliminating the need for air conditioning within the planned offices and ground floor retail space.
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #58
potto

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6543e87c-3...0779fd2ac.html

Viñoly’s grand vision for Battersea
By Edwin Heathcote

Published: June 20 2008 02:33 | Last updated: June 20 2008 02:33

On our way to the site hut in the 38 acres of muddy wastelands around the hulking structure that is Battersea Power Station, Rafael Viñoly takes me into a container and points to a stack of rolls of paper – the original architectural drawings for the site. This incredible collection was found in an archive in the now derelict building. As we pass another open container we glimpse a stack of models of past, failed proposals, each more ambitious than the last. “We might end up in there too,” he says with a grin.

Mr Viñoly’s new proposal outstrips any of the others for ambition. A 300-metre chimney towers over the upturned table of the old building, its glass veil sweeping out around it to encompass a vast development.

"We keep the power station, restore it but then the new building becomes an even bigger power station,” says Mr Viñoly, referring to the monumental chimney, which acts as a heat stack naturally sucking hot air through the interiors and obviating the need for air conditioning.

I look at the model, on which the old power station looks tiny, like a cutesy cottage on a railway layout, stunned. “Well,” says Mr Viñoly, “if you’re going to do something here, you’ve got to do something big. I haven’t slept for sixmonths over this, I know I’m going to have to wear a helmet when it goes public.”

Mr Viñoly is not new to roofing in awesome urban spaces. Philadelphia’s Kimmel Centre concert hall evokes the grand plazas of the Beaux Arts railway stations, his Tokyo International Forum covers a carved out space of epic proportions with an exquisitely engineered glass roof.

But the proposals for Battersea are in another league. “It’s all generated by the chimney,” the architect tells me. “It has to be 300 metres tall to provide the suction and everything else leads off from that.”

The stack effect, the drawing of exhaust air vertically, is nothing new – Islamic architects have been doing it for more than a millennium – but it has never been attempted on this scale.

The chimney puts sustainability at the heart of the proposal and dares opponents to criticise its impeccable environmental credentials. Perhaps it is cynical, certainly it is daring.

The first phase of the proposal encompasses the stabilisation and restoration of the power station, including the replacement of all four chimneys and a new Underground station on the Northern line.

The power station will be occupied by retail businesses and a hotel, nodding to Tate Modern’s overwhelming Turbine Hall (along with Battersea, also originally designed by Gilbert Scott) but making the space busier, more mall than cathedral. Its chimneys will be brought back into service emitting plumes of water vapour from a biofuel energy plant beneath it.

The new buildings are fluid and organic in plan form, light and transparent in construction, not attempting to compete with the cliff-like brick walls of the industrial structure.

The main structure, which will form the final phase of construction, is intended to give the site enough critical mass to make it a destination, and to regenerate this central but neglected chunk of the city. The architecture is pure Viñoly, a blend of simple concept, grand public space and striking execution. It is among the most extraordinary proposals I have ever seen for the city and has chutzpah enough to compete with one of London’s most familiar and eccentric structures.
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #59
henry

Likes (Received): 3

Lovely peice by the FT guy
henry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #60
Bob

Likes (Received): 10

From what I can see in the protected views document ( http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/strat...-final-all.pdf ) it is only 17a1 & 2 that may be affected. I'd like to see some renderings from these points. Not so much to sway me, but to see if the nay sayers are likely to be converted. Maybe a pointed party hat top would work? /\/\/\/\ I am serious, it fits in with the strategy of maintaining the style of roofline.

It wont be a quick decision to turn down a £4bn en vogue (little bit eco) - high density - brownfield - conservation and huge transport investment project. Realistically there will be another couple of £bn hinging on this too (the rash of other proposed towers at Vauxhall and the Foster masterplan of new covent garden). I don't think we'll hear anything from the Borisimon monster for a while. The Tories like private cash and will care little about Vauxhall.

Last edited by Bob; June 20th, 2008 at 07:05 PM.
Bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: