daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 47 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 20th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #81
wawd

Likes (Received): 7

i reckon it would look cool without the housing round the edge, and for it just to be a shining glass chimney which gleams in the sunlight and glows a subtle colour spectrum at night through atmospheric lighting.

you might even be able to see st pauls through it

Sponsored Links

Old June 20th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #82
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1629

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuten View Post
that he wasn't against tall buildings as long as they serve a purpose
Yeah because we tend to build tall buildings today without them having a purpose. The guy is an idiot.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #83
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 5783

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo View Post

Could anyone show us how tall it would look on the skyline?
Here you go:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...489244&page=14
Old June 20th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #84
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 2813

Quote:
I believe there is a historic World Heritaqe city in the Gulf with high mud-built structures of 10 floors plus which work on this chimney principle to cool the interiors
my ex girlfriend's family came from, and lived in bahrain. they owned, amongst other things, the traditional family house. ijt was a large complex of buildings that included a cooling tower. it was a four story mud brick structure open to the elements inside and attached at the bottom to the main house. i will dig out some photos and post them
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 09:53 PM   #85
chest

Likes (Received): 3199

what a shame the last proposals for this site never got off the ground, the almost comic book sci-fi renderings were breathtaking - it was the most exciting project I had seen for London - and not a skyscraper in site...whilst I like the vision and the guts of going for something of such a huge scale I can't believe this is a serious proposal - (and this is my opinion only) I think the 300m glass chimney dosnt particularly look much good - it looks odd on WJ's skyline, its scale is odd and not a patch on the shard in terms of refined design, its like something that juts out of an industrial planet in the year 2390.
chest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #86
tuten
I am your God now.

Likes (Received): 585

If the chimney tower was thinner and more slender then it would probably fit quite well wit the skyline, however i think its design is crucial to the whole natural ventilation thing is it not?

Shame.

Day Out In London

Citius, Altius, Fortius.
tuten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #87
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by chest View Post
its like something that juts out of an industrial planet in the year 2390.
That happens to be exactly why i love this; it is, i think, the future of all major cities. For them to be able to generate their own electricty where it is needed, cool themselves and provide high density living and working environments which includes lush green public gardens and open space. Imagine this next to marks barfield's Skyhouse and one of those multi-story city farms. That's the future.
Pompey77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #88
chest

towers like the Shard and the Pinnacle seem to fit into London - the church spires inspiration thing and all - but this seems alien and to be honest (again my opinion) just not very good.
Old June 20th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #89
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 227

Agreed, as I just said on the world forum thread.. you might as well cast a 300m tall bollard and it'd look better
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #90
tuten
I am your God now.

Likes (Received): 585

How ironic will it be if this gets a smooth ride through planning permission and faces no oppression from any group.

We will just have to laugh!

Day Out In London

Citius, Altius, Fortius.
tuten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #91
Danger! 50,000 volts
Iechyd da!

Likes (Received): 1

Woah, that is way cool - but has absolutely no chance of getting built!

The floors of the tower would need more structural support underneath anyhow - ruining any chance of that transparent underside!
Danger! 50,000 volts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #92
potto

Likes (Received): 1807

Quote:
Originally Posted by chest View Post
towers like the Shard and the Pinnacle seem to fit into London - the church spires inspiration thing and all - but this seems alien and to be honest (again my opinion) just not very good.
yeah in the central traditional core... this is battersea we are talking about. You are the first one to enjoy the North American flavour of Canary Wharf... open your mind a bit!
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #93
delores

Likes (Received): 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto View Post
I cant believe people like Rowan Moore get paid to sprew out their dulled senses all over the population.

First he goes through all the innovative pollution and energy saving parts of the scheme while skipping over the fact that the much loved Power Station will be saved and then has the audacity to push all that aside with his political prejudice and then condescendly mentions that people wont want to the live there as a community.

The man should be kicked out of London for good.

"The Battersea tower seems destined for those books on unbuilt London that include a straightened Thames, a tower on top of Selfridges, and plans for inhabited bridges. In saying this I may be putting myself in the category of those who laughed when Christopher Columbus told them that the world was round. But I don't think so"
Yea I agree he's living in the past but then again so is the standard so they are probably good bed fellows. Its the typical opinion of someone who doesnt want change or new architecture in london that's higher than 5 stories that doesn't rock the boat too much. When I first saw the proposals I was shocked but now looking at the plans and renders I'm very excited by the idea's which isn't predominately about shopping and conference centres but building a distinct and large residential area with a decent transport interchange. I think the idea of having no roof on the power station is a really novel and innovative solution which actually when you think about it makes alot of sense.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/..._gallery.shtml there's another image on the bbc website plus an interview.

Last edited by delores; June 21st, 2008 at 12:02 AM.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:14 AM   #94
chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto View Post
yeah in the central traditional core... this is battersea we are talking about. You are the first one to enjoy the North American flavour of Canary Wharf... open your mind a bit!

sorry for having an opinion you dont agree with Potto - I'll be more careful in future - sorry my mistake and yes I will try to 'open my mind a bit' - thanks for pointing out my shortcomings - thank goodness there are people like you on the forum to put people like me right.

Last edited by chest; June 21st, 2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:53 AM   #95
henry

Likes (Received): 3

I think some people are being a bit harsh on Rowan Moore. He's not against tall buildings at all, nor is he against modern architecture, he is positively in favour of both, despite the fact he writes for the Standard. He happens to believe that we should build high in two or three locations and not everywhere, which is not an unreasonable position even if like me you don't agree with it.
henry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 01:04 AM   #96
delores

The problem is people will read this stuff and think he's right. There is never anyone coming out in a counter argument in the standard, it's always ' shock' ' horror' as apposed to rational thinking. I think the way we knew he would say this just show's how predictable he is.
Old June 21st, 2008, 01:08 AM   #97
sirstan74

Likes (Received): 110

I like this. I agree it doesn't look too good on Will's skyline, but I'm sure the glass upper third of it will make it feel lighter.
sirstan74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 01:16 AM   #98
sirstan74

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by delores View Post
The problem is people will read this stuff and think he's right. There is never anyone coming out in a counter argument in the standard, it's always ' shock' ' horror' as apposed to rational thinking. I think the way we knew he would say this just show's how predictable he is.
This is the archetypal Daily Wail/LES stuff which I hate. Shock horror outrage. I think the people who read this stuff must be in some way masochistic to like to make themselves get so angry all the time.
sirstan74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 01:35 AM   #99
delores

It's the London way...well according to the standard.
Old June 21st, 2008, 11:47 AM   #100
london lad

Likes (Received): 475

Another rendering

Also a news report with plenty of graphics of the scheme ( look out for St Georges Wharf tower in there as well)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7465356.stm
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: