daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old August 5th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #201
Dequal
Architect
 
Dequal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ghent
Posts: 4,301
Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
The structural engineer has: old WTC in NYC, the SWFC in Shanghai, HSBC and ICC in Hong Kong, Emirates Towers and TRUMP Hotel in Dubai, and many other grand structures under his portofolio.

Whoever David Fisher might be, we know very well who Leslie E. Robertson is.

Check all the projects they were involved with: http://www.lera.com/projects/
Hmm, ok. I'm sure other architects will be inspired by this Dynamic Tower and will use similar designs for their work, unless there's already a patent pending on the Dynamic Tower?
__________________
Portfolio | Dequalized | Gentcement
Dequal no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #202
Dequal
Architect
 
Dequal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ghent
Posts: 4,301
Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'.baltimorean View Post
the dynamic tower is just that...DYNAMIC! dubai has the best architecture in the world, hands down!
Just don't forget that allmost all the architects are from other countries.
__________________
Portfolio | Dequalized | Gentcement
Dequal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #203
rockin'.baltimorean
Registered User
 
rockin'.baltimorean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Owings Mills, Md. / Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 7,172
Likes (Received): 2413

the dynamic tower is just that...DYNAMIC! dubai has the best architecture in the world, hands down!
__________________
B'more Birds' Nest..........Go Orioles!!!! Go Ravens!!!!
rockin'.baltimorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 12:05 AM   #204
Peloso
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Away from Macaronia
Posts: 1,173
Likes (Received): 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequal View Post
Good luck! Can I be an astronaut for you?
'Vcourse you can! You won't regret it. It will be a great NASal exploit! We will moon the world.
__________________
Save Italy, fight the Macaroni
E(xtinction)=m(afia)c(reeps)²
Peloso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 01:27 AM   #205
Indica
Top of the World
 
Indica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA (Marina del Rey)
Posts: 368
Likes (Received): 156

To put the size of this in perspective....

Imagine a building the height of the Jin Mao Tower, (or even the old WTC) that has these floors all rotating at once! We probably have the ability to build something like this, but it will cost billions - the hardware and extra materials alone would probably cost twice the amount of the structure itself at this height.
__________________
Just call me "Mr. Helpdesk"
Indica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 06:43 AM   #206
leogodoy
Registered User
 
leogodoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 178
Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indica View Post
To put the size of this in perspective....

Imagine a building the height of the Jin Mao Tower, (or even the old WTC) that has these floors all rotating at once! We probably have the ability to build something like this, but it will cost billions - the hardware and extra materials alone would probably cost twice the amount of the structure itself at this height.
you know what would be cool? painting the windows in 6 different colors, so we could be able to play a giant rubik's cube-like game.

leogodoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #207
Dequal
Architect
 
Dequal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ghent
Posts: 4,301
Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indica View Post
To put the size of this in perspective....

Imagine a building the height of the Jin Mao Tower, (or even the old WTC) that has these floors all rotating at once! We probably have the ability to build something like this, but it will cost billions - the hardware and extra materials alone would probably cost twice the amount of the structure itself at this height.
I'm not so sure of that. The original plans of the Dynamic Tower insisted that everything was pre-fabricated. And with a special system the pre-fabbed floors could be clicked in place at the bottom and lifted to the top.

So they don't need a regular building crane for this one.
__________________
Portfolio | Dequalized | Gentcement
Dequal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #208
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,827
Likes (Received): 6071

The central core is conventional though, so a crane (or two) would be needed for that.
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 05:05 PM   #209
Dequal
Architect
 
Dequal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ghent
Posts: 4,301
Likes (Received): 503

This is how they will put it together.





The preassembled units are simply hooked to each other mechanically, this results in environmentally clean construction sites, avoiding unloading of materials, waste, noise and pollution, there will be less risk of accidents to construction workers, and construction time will be reduced by over 30 percent. due to their particular construction method, prefabricated buildings will also be easy to maintain and repair, the building's maintenance facility, type of materials used, and the quality control employed will also make them more durable than any traditional structure.
__________________
Portfolio | Dequalized | Gentcement
Dequal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #210
GAR3TH
Student Architect جاريث
 
GAR3TH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I ♥ Naija
Posts: 5,678
Likes (Received): 679

it looks nice. but if they start building cities entirely of moving skyscrapers they city wont have a good skyline. i dont see this being the future of architecture, at least on the skyscraper level, but i do see this for higher scaled apartments and condoes(bad spelling).but its a good idea.
GAR3TH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #211
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,827
Likes (Received): 6071

Of course it will not be a commonly used design. Costs alone will make it prohibitive, so yeah I'm skeptical of the claim the building will generate from wind and sun 20 - 25% more energy of what it will use. I personally would consider even generating 50% of building's needs as an great achievement.
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.


Last edited by AltinD; August 6th, 2008 at 06:44 PM.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #212
droneriot
Urban Hermit
 
droneriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cydonia Mensae
Posts: 4,667
Likes (Received): 2623

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAR3TH View Post
it looks nice. but if they start building cities entirely of moving skyscrapers they city wont have a good skyline.
You'd probably get a hell of a headache looking at such a skyline.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #213
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here
 
ElVoltageDR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,552
Likes (Received): 59

Very interesting construction technique.
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 08:28 PM   #214
Dequal
Architect
 
Dequal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ghent
Posts: 4,301
Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
You'd probably get a hell of a headache looking at such a skyline.
Lol, imagine the skyline of NYC... but everything is moving, and turning around, going upside down!
__________________
Portfolio | Dequalized | Gentcement
Dequal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:57 AM   #215
ross410
Electricityscape
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 41
Likes (Received): 0

It's an amazing idea, but I can only laugh when I think about it. I can just imagine a lot of not-funny-at-the-time problems, such as toilet pipes breaking, and fighting for the sunset with your neighbours, and having to sit in your ferarri for 4 hours when the lift breaks down, and looking like a half finished jenga game in your multi million pound investment.

But apart from that, I wish them luck.
ross410 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #216
Dequal
Architect
 
Dequal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ghent
Posts: 4,301
Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross410 View Post
I can just imagine a lot of not-funny-at-the-time problems, such as toilet pipes breaking.
I've been thinking about that too. But I think that's quite easy to do. The CN Tower In Toronto is also turning, so there most be already a solution to that sort of problems.
__________________
Portfolio | Dequalized | Gentcement
Dequal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 03:34 AM   #217
Aecio
Príncipe Xarro
 
Aecio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Guadalajara, Jalisco
Posts: 2,458
Likes (Received): 218

The most innovating building i've seen at the moment, i'm speechless....
__________________
La noble Guadalajara
JAL1SCO
Aecio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 02:08 PM   #218
Krattle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 437
Likes (Received): 12

How is it innovative? We have seen nothing about it except a few pictures and we know its basic idea. How would you accomplish simple things like plumbing and electricity?
What about getting to the stairs or the elevator if you are constantly rotating? Wouldn't that be detrimental to escape in case of fire? What about repairs to the mechanisms for every floor? Wouldn't it be hard to maintain that many motors?
What about the fact that there is no direct structural connection between the floors and the central core aside from, what I can gather from the diagrams, a track that they rest on?
What about columns and beams to transfer loads? How can an 80 story core support itself?
What about wind loads? Is the core going to take everything?
What about bending under wind loads? Will the upper floors stay in their tracks?
Each floor is a huge cantilever; how do you expect to support it if there are no beams connecting them to the core?
What about when you're sleeping and the motor sounds annoy you?
And do you really think a jigsaw skyscraper is structurally sound?
Last and probably not least, this jacking system for floors seems, actually, more dangerous than typical construction. Who will supervise the lifting and from where? How will you get him there? I see no external lifts in those pictures. There are other construction methods where whole floor plates are jacked into place but there have been accidents where the plates collapsed and destroyed the whole building.

Sorry, I seriously think this is a hoax and a stupid idea and I don't think anyone in their right mind would want to live in it. There are too many unanswered questions and this guy's reputation has already been brought into question.

Last edited by Krattle; August 10th, 2008 at 02:22 PM.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #219
CULWULLA
Registered User
 
CULWULLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 62,760
Likes (Received): 10144

i dont think its a hoax. its in very early design stage. conceptual i should think. but i think it will happen. eventually.
__________________
Sydney Harbour Bridge -1932, Sydney Opera House- 1973, Sydney Tower- 1981, Crown Sydney- 2020.. https://www.buildsydney.com/forum
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #220
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,827
Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krattle View Post
How is it innovative? We have seen nothing about it except a few pictures and we know its basic idea. How would you accomplish simple things like plumbing and electricity?
What about getting to the stairs or the elevator if you are constantly rotating? Wouldn't that be detrimental to escape in case of fire? What about repairs to the mechanisms for every floor? Wouldn't it be hard to maintain that many motors?
What about the fact that there is no direct structural connection between the floors and the central core aside from, what I can gather from the diagrams, a track that they rest on?
What about columns and beams to transfer loads? How can an 80 story core support itself?
What about wind loads? Is the core going to take everything?
What about bending under wind loads? Will the upper floors stay in their tracks?
Each floor is a huge cantilever; how do you expect to support it if there are no beams connecting them to the core?
What about when you're sleeping and the motor sounds annoy you?
And do you really think a jigsaw skyscraper is structurally sound?
Last and probably not least, this jacking system for floors seems, actually, more dangerous than typical construction. Who will supervise the lifting and from where? How will you get him there? I see no external lifts in those pictures. There are other construction methods where whole floor plates are jacked into place but there have been accidents where the plates collapsed and destroyed the whole building.

Sorry, I seriously think this is a hoax and a stupid idea and I don't think anyone in their right mind would want to live in it. There are too many unanswered questions and this guy's reputation has already been brought into question.
There are many things baffling me about airplanes and how in the hell are they supposed to fly and not disintegrate ... oh wait, their designers and manufacturers thought about all that before hand.

BOTTOM LINE: Unless you're a reputable structural engineer by profession, keep quiet and stop insulting those we are and are doing the job.


PS. Correcting three misconceptions:
1. The central core always support itself and partially the rest of the building around it.
2. The floors will NOT be constantly in movement.
3. (last but not least) It doesn't matter much who David Fisher is, rather who Leslie E. Robertson is.
__________________
I am the eye in the sky, Looking at you
I can read your mind
I am the maker of rules, Dealing with fools
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
dubai

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu