daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 25th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #41
Jack Daniel
Wolf in sheep's clothing

Likes (Received): 450

Unbelievable I only wish we could be as innovative in Australia.
Jack Daniel está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:47 AM   #42
TohrAlkimista

Likes (Received): 886

The most innovative 'scraper of the world, made in Italy.

One in Dubai, another one in Moscow.

(I hope for a third one in Milan, as a symbol for the 2015 Expo).

Too cool!
TohrAlkimista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #43
Capn Jef

Likes (Received): 9

The rotation and shape give it a Calatrava feel with a strong touch of innovation and evolution to his designs.

I'm also surprised that for the first of its kind it will reach an impressive 420 (hell yeah) meters.
Capn Jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #44
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
awesome, but seeing is believing

All we have to see is the building site or the location in Dubai. Imre end some others nows whats goiing on there .
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #45
Pablitisimo Maximo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 35

Pablitisimo Maximo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #46
spicytimothy
...::HK.:.:.:.LA::...

Likes (Received): 7

Apparently they say they wanna build this around the world... Up next NYC... Wish they'd build one in Hong Kong...
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #47
DennisS
Just a student

Likes (Received): 70

The construction method is way to positive on his website, but it is clear that if this concept will be used more and more, it will be a industrialised process with time and money profit. As innovating as it is, this will be our near future
DennisS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #48
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

I can't see them starting construction on this thing so soon. There are probably tons of problems to work out. Maintaining this will probably be a nightmare. What about all that sand that'll get blown into where the wind turbines are? The fact that the wind turbines are between the floors and hence barely any wind. What about general maintanance, how will this be done without disrupting everyone, etc. What about fire safety? etc...
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #49
harm123

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaWolverine View Post
There's really no point to have your car up on the 60th floor or wherever you live, but who cares, the point is that there's no point, that's what higher class Dubai is about.
Exactly, i was thinking the same thing.

It makes NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sense to get your car up to your floor with an elevator and park it there.
It unnecessary waste of energy/space. What wrong with parking your car downstairs and then take the elevator yourself?

Is this a drive-in skyscraper?? :S
harm123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #50
DennisS
Just a student

Good point there Malec. But for every problem will be a solution, I'm sure about that. The only real problem will be the costs of all the solutions. I hope everyone involved will be openminded and doesn't fear new innovating technologies.
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:08 PM   #51
joobn

Likes (Received): 2

yeah. this is amazing! its a great proposal.. but im not sure it will get built. Its quite futuristic... especially the car thing and the extendable balconys...
joobn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #52
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 452

Looks pretty scary

Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #53
PurePaki
HalfIndian

Likes (Received): 132

WOW

very futuristic indeed
PurePaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #54
sk

Likes (Received): 3

what will happen if all the residents turn their floors to the same site of the tower,lets say in a fireworks celebration that everybody wants to watch it.
will the tower core be able to withstand all the one site weight?
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #55
Peloso

Likes (Received): 245

This (or these) building (or buildings), if built, will prove itself an economic and possibly literal disaster, for many reasons.
1 - it will be "Made in Italy" - and I know what that means, except for few exceptions.
I mean not only the project, but the whole thing will be pre-built in Italy.
2 - it's all looks and no substance. We still have to see any technical explanation of how the rotation mechanism works, and how is it possible for such a small core to support such a large floorbase. The foggy concept of turbine-generated energy, in this case, sounds like propaganda to me.
In short, very similar to the "Strait of Messina Bridge", another fabulous creation lacking any real feasibility study (and sitting in a seismic zone for good measure).
3 - if you're not a tenant, but an onlooker, it's ugly as hell - most of the time it will look like a bunch of lego assembled by a retarded child.
4 - the toilet waste pipings will be a bit*h to arrange. The residents' turnover may become very fast because of the smell. Some may even end drowned in their neighbours' fecal matter. I know, that's a somewhat gross and, um, sad picture. And what if the rotation abruptly stops? You will find yourself peeing on the floor flat out.
This rotating building idea may even become reality one day, but I'm deeply sceptical this day has arrived yet.

CopyLeft liked this post
Peloso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #56
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2858

^What extra weight? There is no aspect of the design that makes me think the floors are out of balance. Their centre of gravity is quite clearly the core, so it doesn't matter what orientation each floor is in. Can i ask some questions which i haven't quite worked out from the translated press releases:

How will the floors be powered, somewhere mentioned wind but the amount of energy to rotate an 80 storey building cannot be generated from turbines alone... or can it?

Where are the wind turbines?

Do people have individual control over the position of their floor? This seems unlikely to me as it would be nearly impossible to coordinate a nice spiral. I'd imagine they would be all centrally controlled.
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #57
DennisS
Just a student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloso View Post
This (or these) building (or buildings), if built, will prove itself an economic and possibly literal disaster, for many reasons.
1 - it will be "Made in Italy" - and I know what that means, except for few exceptions.
I mean not only the project, but the whole thing will be pre-built in Italy.
2 - it's all looks and no substance. We still have to see any technical explanation of how the rotation mechanism works, and how is it possible for such a small core to support such a large floorbase. The foggy concept of turbine-generated energy, in this case, sounds like propaganda to me.
In short, very similar to the "Strait of Messina Bridge", another fabulous creation lacking any real feasibility study (and sitting in a seismic zone for good measure).
3 - if you're not a tenant, but an onlooker, it's ugly as hell - most of the time it will look like a bunch of lego assembled by a retarded child.
4 - the toilet waste pipings will be a bit*h to arrange. The residents' turnover may become very fast because of the smell. Some may even end drowned in their neighbours' fecal matter. I know, that's a somewhat gross and, um, sad picture. And what if the rotation abruptly stops? You will find yourself peeing on the floor flat out.
This rotating building idea may even become reality one day, but I'm deeply sceptical this day has arrived yet.
Lets build like in the middle-ages. We know that thát works so why would we innovate. Come on, if everybody is that negative nothing will happen in the future..
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #58
nezzybaby
Look at my shiny ball

Likes (Received): 2858

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloso View Post
..... You will find yourself peeing on the floor flat out.

Most of this post made some sense, that comment was retarded. I mean seriously do you think these floors will rotate at a speed that can be measured in RPM? They will be slow, very very very slow. In fact i'd imagine so slow that you wouldn't notice much difference without looking on different days.

So instead of going flying when the floor stops rotating, it is far more likely that you will not feel a thing.
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #59
hcrosskey

Likes (Received): 0

The BBC have picked up this story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7472559.stm
hcrosskey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #60
JACK NAPIER
"Think about the future!"

Likes (Received): 5

My youthful side says this is awesome, my adult side says this is tacky, stupid and not siding with economics. Fisher thought of this design when at his friends apt. in Manhattan. Only in the 21st century skyscrapers like this are not built in America anymore, but in other countries that are just now discovering capitalism.

... a second tower inMoscow, we really did win the cold war.

Tags
dubai