daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2008, 12:22 AM   #81
harm123

Likes (Received): 0

They use Jack Blacks Vapoorizer
harm123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #82
Sander-
21st century citizen

Likes (Received): 3

It's actually being built? I'm a usually a crazy optimist but I'll believe this one when I see it built.

Cudos to Dubai for getting the first of a glorious step forward in building technology if it goes through. And then I'm referring to the modules, not the turning or car-elevator
Sander- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #83
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
unbelievable. car hoist up to 80 levels? fark
yep, thats pretty crazy... I wonder how fast these elevators can travel.. most passenger elevators can already hold 3000 - 4000 pounds so its not a weight issue (most freight elevators can handle up to 6000 pounds or the equivalent in weight of a LARGE SUV)- its more a size issue. Imagine an elevator the size of a bedroom traveling up 80 stories! There would have to be at least 6 of these in the building and they would have to be (high-speed) for it to be efficient and have minimal wait times.. Imagine the complexity of the design of the elevator shafts! There would be some MAJOR air displacement going on there!!

The only other building that I heard of that used this idea was that crazy 500 meter tall golden dome proposal (although that used a train that circled upwards around the building).

Im surprised that they dont create a lower-rise building with this feature first; after all this is the first of its kind. But then again, this is Dubai.. They are going to go "all-out" on this tower - 420m? Geez, thats pratically the height of the old WTC!!!
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #84
oduguy1999
The Big Easy Forever

Likes (Received): 45

Man we dont even have people that move here in the States let alone buildings! =)
they should make some that turn into boats for us in New Orleans.

-Dr. Seuss
oduguy1999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:58 AM   #85
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahid View Post
what no
Sorry.

The building doesn't move fast so you won't feel it.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #86
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10101

i just cant believe how the bldg floors will be built in Italy and moved to dubai and attached to rising concrete core. no wonder it will built in only 2 years.
also dont forget the first rotating WHOLE bldg
30storey /170m tower
http://www.timeresidences.com/
This one along with timeresidences, lighthouse tower,burj Al alam, pentominuim and mighty burj dubai., dubai will be an orgy or highrise architecture come 2010.
Old June 26th, 2008, 01:27 AM   #87
Slurms Mackenzie

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloso View Post
We still have to see any technical explanation of how the rotation mechanism works, and how is it possible for such a small core to support such a large floorbase. The foggy concept of turbine-generated energy, in this case, sounds like propaganda to me.

the toilet waste pipings will be a bit*h to arrange.

This rotating building idea may even become reality one day, but I'm deeply sceptical this day has arrived yet.
I totally agree - I discussed this proposal with a bunch of other structural engineers today and we are very suspicious that this is one of those ridiculous architectural schemes that hasn't yet undergone any sort of engineering scrutiny. I can't see any way that this building can work structurally. I struggle to see how you could get a 20-storey building like this to work, let alone 80-storey.

The core is way too small, unless it's constructed of solid carbon fibre or some other magical material. Also, how do the floorplates cantilever off the tube, especially with all those holes in the core and apartments and a continuous hallway that prevents any vertical structure from connecting each apartment to the core? I keep checking to see whether it's April 1st, but it isn't!

Aside from being sceptical that it is legitimate, I also find this proposal absolutely appalling. To lift a car up 80 storeys just so the owner doesn't have to step out of it is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. This is wasteful beyond belief and I don't believe for a second that this building will be able to produce more energy than it uses.

Two thumbs down. Yeah it might look cool for five minutes, but it's all downhill from there. This 'architect' brings shame upon all of us
Slurms Mackenzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 01:29 AM   #88
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2263

Amazing! When i first saw the old renderings and videos some 2 years back i was amazed, perhaps as soon as 2015-2020? Well, 2010 is just awesome, totally worth a plane-ticket to Dubai!

But as Slurms Mackenzie say, this is hard to believe, really hard actually. We'll see in two years if this one is actually as good as it soulds like or not. But yeah, a lift for the cars is really stupid, why even bother using lots of space on it, what about safety etc as well?

Last edited by Ŝróndeimr; June 26th, 2008 at 01:42 AM.
Ŝróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 01:29 AM   #89
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

IMO the best designed project in Dubai. Bravo!
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:49 AM   #90
choyak

Likes (Received): 19

This thing would be BUTT UGLY randomly stacked Legos if the residents have their way. I would compromise, and build it circular. Build the rotating floors like Marina City in Chicago, then it would not matter where the residents aligned their floors, it would appear symmetrical. There would be a requirement that the residents get to align their floor only when the balconies were aligned.

As per my earlier post with the stacked Lego image, this would be REPULSIVE unless the residents did not have control. I could see a requirement that each resident has to align theirs with the one below it (you have 3 choices), but for the multiple apartment floors, you would need to bribe the other residents if you desired a certain alignment.

Last edited by choyak; June 26th, 2008 at 02:50 AM. Reason: REPLUSIVE
choyak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 03:05 AM   #91
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

I'm suspicious about this whole thing. Apart from all the practical problems there's also this.

Who the hell is this guy? He has never actually designed a skyscraper before.
I dunno, the whole thing sounds dodgy since it just appeared out of nowhere.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 03:17 AM   #92
LoverOfDubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
I dunno, the whole thing sounds dodgy since it just appeared out of nowhere.
It did not appear out of nowhere. It was originally announced in April 2007. It was just re-announced a few days ago and has received a lot more attention.

Here is a copy of an article in the Wall Street Journal from 11 April 2007: http://www.dynamicarchitecture.net/P...journal_A3.pdf
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 03:42 AM   #93
sohail style

Likes (Received): 9

This looks revolutionary..and still a little ridiculous.
Old June 26th, 2008, 03:45 AM   #94
PixelArtist

2 Concerns About Dynamic Tower

While I appreciate the concept of the Dynamic Tower, based on exterior configuration examples I have seen, I suspect most of them will be quite ugly.
(Drivers could well be distracted seeking a pleasing configuration!)

I'm also concerned about potential consequences if one of the units were to separate somehow from the core, or otherwise collapse. As it falls down, would it bring down as well the units below it? And what happens should the entire building become unbalanced as a result?

Just wondering ...

PixelArtist
PixelArtist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 04:00 AM   #95
PresidentBjork
In the bog.

Likes (Received): 3360

what a painfully cool idea!

I have no idea how feasible this will be, a lot of people have given good reason why it wouldn't be. Then again anything is possible with the right funds, and as we all know Dubai has the funds! - but cars to the very top?!! What an egregious waste of energy.

One more thing though, if most of the of the floors are centrally controlled except a few whole ones at the very top, will it end up having a lovely pattern 2/3 of the way but then broken up into incongruous chunks?
Old June 26th, 2008, 04:15 AM   #96
mattbennett13590
going to be an Engineer

Likes (Received): 10

I'm confused.
Where is it going to be, and what design is going to be used?
Or is there going to be two towers?

One is next to the Burj-al-Arab, and the other is next to the Emirates Towers.
Also one of the designs is curved on the corners, and the other, which has the floor plans, has square corners.

Interesting idea, but I'm surprised that it is going to be so tall, considering nothing like this has been built before.
mattbennett13590 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #97
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10101

ive chatted to engineers in my work about this tower and they think its a simple idea. it would work no problems. plumbing ect. the segments are attached to core with enormours rings. (they wouldnt fall off).
i think the engineers behind thsi tower would have worked it all out too before architect preoceeded with intitial design concept.
cant wait to see it rise. Ive worked out each floor is 4m high with 1m gap, thus 5m from floor to floor.
each floor is 56 wide while the core is 19m diametre.

checkout website
http://www.dynamicarchitecture.net/home.html

Old June 26th, 2008, 04:41 AM   #98
aravinda

Likes (Received): 2

First off, this building isn't going to have 'plumbing problems'. I mean seriously...its that the most challenging aspect of this project? I can think of more than one solution to that just off the top of my head.

People aren't going to get motion sickness. The floors rotate once every 1 to 3 hours: that's a long time. Dubai has had a rotating restaurent with variable speed control for over 25 years: the Hyatt Regency's Al Dawar restarent. I've been there plenty of times and don't recall experiencing or witnessing motion sickness.

However, with each floor's motion being independant, it does make it look like something out of the Flinstones!

As for those that doubt the validity of this project, it made the evening news around the world.
aravinda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #99
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

How the hell can this building be self sustaining? It probably takes enormous amounts of energy to rotate just one floor, let alone 80 floors. And how is it possible to get rid of the noise and vibration when there are so many moving parts? I also highly doubt the 2010 completion date. 2 years? Come on.
MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:05 AM   #100
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalliTooL View Post
How the hell can this building be self sustaining? It probably takes enormous amounts of energy to rotate just one floor, let alone 80 floors. And how is it possible to get rid of the noise and vibration when there are so many moving parts? I also highly doubt the 2010 completion date. 2 years? Come on.
I think they'll figure it out. It probably won't be any louder than the A/C motor running.

I'm not sure what to think about the tower but I would love to see it built. I can't believe it's going to be as tall as the Jin Mao Building.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai