daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #121
Peloso

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingeandmay View Post
It's amazing watching the optimists and pessimists battle it out! I cannot believe there would be press on this scale, it is in the national newspapers in the UK, without all the issues being aired having been sorted out.
Well this just goes to show how little you know about the media. Sorry.

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #122
DodgyEye
Talk like a Pirate

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burj Duboy View Post
What are you talking about? There´s a central fixed core and the whole apartment including the balcony revolves around this core. Or did I miss something?
The Suite Vollard building has fixed balconies, therefore cannot be compared to this "Dynamic Tower"
DodgyEye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #123
DodgyEye
Talk like a Pirate

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloso View Post
Exactly. Uk newspapers will publish any old tosh. The "truth" is rarely a consideration
DodgyEye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #124
Room2046

Likes (Received): 0

WOW~it's crazy

Will people in the building feel qualm when it circumrotate?
Room2046 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #125
phaedrus
resU deretsigeR

Likes (Received): 4

saw the report on bbc first, then this thread .
great concept whatever be the case
Old June 26th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #126
TohrAlkimista

Likes (Received): 918

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggers_jr View Post
By the way - for the doubters: David Fisher (weird name for an Italian, he must be Jewish) was a professor of architecture and structural engineering at Florence University, which is a major Italian university with a very good reputation for its architecture department. So he can't be a total fraud.
Indeed, he is.
TohrAlkimista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #127
Cristobal_illo
iPhone lover!

Likes (Received): 27

This tower is the old Da Vinci Tower ??
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:21 AM   #128
HOLABETO

Likes (Received): 939

Old June 27th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #129
asb63

Likes (Received): 1

it's featured @ yahoo.com
asb63 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #130
Slurms Mackenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burj Duboy View Post
What are you talking about? There´s a central fixed core and the whole apartment including the balcony revolves around this core. Or did I miss something?
Read the 'about' section on the link you posted. It explains how that other building works. It says the balconies remain stationary, which means a completely different structural system can be used. On that building, you can have a rotating floorplate that is supported inside at the core and outside at the balconies. That option doesn't exist for the Dubai Dynamic Tower.

I don't think I'm being a 'pessimist'. I'm sure it will be built - everything gets built in Dubai! But I would like to hear some sensible explanation of how the floorplates work because the floorplans shown earlier in this thread don't appear to have any mechanism for resisting vertical load. We are talking about very large cantilevers from the only support at the core, yet there doesn't appear to be any structure to allow this, only the floor itself which just appears to be a thin floor system. Again, I expect we'll see the floorplates being chopped up by radiating walls or trusses.
Slurms Mackenzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #131
cmjohns6

Likes (Received): 7

im not sure how this works... theres no way for each occupant to be able to control which direction they are facing, unless they had the entire floor. and even if that happened, wouldnt it just look "jumbled up" all the time? i think it should be choreographed to a specfic movement, or maybe twisted to get natural sunlight or even twisted to shade from the sun. and how does plumbing/air systems work? bathrooms and kitchens would have to be located in a "fixed core"??
cmjohns6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #132
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 29153

I like the idea that this tower will look different after every wind gust because every floor rotates separately.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #133
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

The rotation takes up to 3 hours (so you're not always spilling your coffee), and gets power from photovoltaic solar cells and 79 wind turbines, one located between each floor. The system is meant to create enough energy to power to the entire tower and still have juice to spare for some surrounding buildings. According to Fisher, two of these $700 million futuristic scrapers are planned so far, one each in Dubai and Moscow. They will be built using a truly radical technique.

Construction on the Dynamic Tower will be unlike anything that preceded it. The only part of the tower built on site will be the skinny center core. It is strong enough to hold the floors in place, and will contain the building's elevators, which transport people and cars right to their door. Each floor will be made piece by piece in a factory in Italy—a throwback to Fisher's previous life in prefabricated bathroom design—and placed onto the core using a lift system. With this method, each story is completed in about six days. By comparison, traditional ground-up methods can take six weeks per floor.

Groundbreaking for Dynamic Towers in Dubai and Moscow is expected to happen in the fall, with construction reaching completion by the end of 2010. If you're game—and very, very loaded—you can sign up now for a villa or office space. The going rate is $3000/sq foot. [Dynamic Architecture]

Type in Moscow:

They are selling all the appartments out for the moment. There will rise a tower in Dubai en a second type in Moscow. I think money is no problem for the buyers.

Last edited by Buyckske Ruben; June 27th, 2008 at 12:18 PM.
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #134
connected_

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyckske Ruben View Post

Construction on the Dynamic Tower will be unlike anything that preceded it. The only part of the tower built on site will be the skinny center core. It is strong enough to hold the floors in place, and will contain the building's elevators, which transport people and cars right to their door. Each floor will be made piece by piece in a factory in Italy—a throwback to Fisher's previous life in prefabricated bathroom design—and placed onto the core using a lift system. With this method, each story is completed in about six days. By comparison, traditional ground-up methods can take six weeks per floor.
lol in which backwards country might that be happening?
connected_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #135
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by connected_ View Post
lol in which backwards country might that be happening?
Belgium
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #136
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 875

I can see it being a case of,

SSC member with camera - 'Er excuse me... do you live on floor 45?'
- 'Uhm, Yes..'
- 'Well dya mind moving your apartment to the right?
it's ruining my shot!'
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #137
gingeandmay

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloso View Post
Well I have no interest in the media per se, but it seems to me to be odd that anybody would want to drum up interest in something that isn't possible. Bearing in mind I have heard Sheikh Mohammed's name attached to this, last time I looked he doesn't seem the type of guy to be hoodwinked or to associate with fraudsters! The Burj Dubai would have been classed as "impossible" a few years back remember.
gingeandmay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #138
mbuildings
BANNED

Likes (Received): 69

I hate it.
mbuildings no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #139
Slurms Mackenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingeandmay View Post
Well I have no interest in the media per se, but it seems to me to be odd that anybody would want to drum up interest in something that isn't possible. Bearing in mind I have heard Sheikh Mohammed's name attached to this, last time I looked he doesn't seem the type of guy to be hoodwinked or to associate with fraudsters! The Burj Dubai would have been classed as "impossible" a few years back remember.
I totally disagree - the Burj has very sound structural principles and no structural engineers were questioning it as far as I know. It is as solid as a rock with very clear load-paths both vertically and laterally. It is one of the most viable structural designs I've ever seen.

No-one has said the Dynamic Tower concept is impossible or that it won't be built. I'm sure it will be. What a couple of us are querying is the internal floorplans which seem to require significant modifications in order to allow support elements to radiate from the core to the perimeter. At the moment, there is a corridor blocking any significant connection to the core and the open floor plans on the upper levels allow no trusses. You cannot tell me that a 500mm thick floor can cantilever 20m out from the core. There must be some sort of major primary structure cutting between apartments (or through the apartments themselves on the upper levels).

I could be wrong and I'm keen to hear how the floors work structurally. But I'm sick of the flippant remarks on this site and want a serious discussion with people who understand structural engineering. Perhaps there are 2m deep trusses in the ceiling space or something? If partititon walls aren't used to hide this structure, then the ceiling heights will be ridiculously low.
Slurms Mackenzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #140
Gamma-Hamster
BANNED

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyckske Ruben View Post
Type in Moscow:
If this render is correct, then it will be somewhere here:

Photo by Axort:
Gamma-Hamster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags