daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 27th, 2008, 03:43 PM   #141
BlackLukes

Likes (Received): 18

A little piece of Italy in Dubai

Great project!

Milan StreetView - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
BlackLukes no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #142
TEKKEN
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Dynamic Tower Simulation

TEKKEN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #143
Banjaluchanin
Say no to the Narco state

Likes (Received): 4

Very cool tower!
Banjaluchanin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 03:48 AM   #144
Capn Jef

Likes (Received): 9

Original music selection...
Capn Jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 06:08 AM   #145
Aubergine

Likes (Received): 0

Definately need one of those in Toronto.

Aubergine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 05:47 AM   #146
Peloso

Likes (Received): 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyckske Ruben View Post
The rotation takes up to 3 hours (so you're not always spilling your coffee), and gets power from photovoltaic solar cells and 79 wind turbines, one located between each floor. The system is meant to create enough energy to power to the entire tower and still have juice to spare for some surrounding buildings. According to Fisher, two of these $700 million futuristic scrapers are planned so far, one each in Dubai and Moscow. They will be built using a truly radical technique.

Construction on the Dynamic Tower will be unlike anything that preceded it. The only part of the tower built on site will be the skinny center core. It is strong enough to hold the floors in place, and will contain the building's elevators, which transport people and cars right to their door. Each floor will be made piece by piece in a factory in Italy—a throwback to Fisher's previous life in prefabricated bathroom design—and placed onto the core using a lift system. With this method, each story is completed in about six days. By comparison, traditional ground-up methods can take six weeks per floor.

Groundbreaking for Dynamic Towers in Dubai and Moscow is expected to happen in the fall, with construction reaching completion by the end of 2010. If you're game—and very, very loaded—you can sign up now for a villa or office space. The going rate is $3000/sq foot. [Dynamic Architecture]

Type in Moscow:
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

They are selling all the appartments out for the moment. There will rise a tower in Dubai en a second type in Moscow. I think money is no problem for the buyers.
I don't really get if you're speaking for yourself or just quoting a communiqué from the firm, and if so, where the quote starts.
Anyway, if one's to listen to you, then it sounds like everything has been sorted out already. Who's bought the apartments, since you speak like an insider?
Really, the only concrete thing we've seen from this company so far is the "Leonardo da Vinci Smart Bathroom" (sorry, but I can't help from laughing when I hear this) and here is the link to the only pic I've found on the internet of this masterpiece:
http://www.demaniore.com/opencms/ope...tail&gallery=3
The main question now is: does the WC rotate in the Smart Bathroom?
Everything I've read so far about this Fisher chap stinks of scam from 100 Kms away, but maybe that's just me.
Oh, and the pics you posted look even more fictional than the previous ones. Come on. They're just simplistic and, most of all, badly made drawings.

Last edited by Peloso; June 29th, 2008 at 05:53 AM.
Peloso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #147
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

Wow....sure hope they build this one...very unique!
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #148
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

Duplicate post.
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #149
Kyor

Likes (Received): 0

Amazing.
Kyor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 12:44 AM   #150
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurms Mackenzie View Post
I am a structural engineer, chartered and with significant experience designing buildings, including Parc1 (Seoul), one of the supertalls listed on this site. As I've said, I'm not questioning the concept overall (the external view which everyone is so excited about), but the internal floorplans clearly don't work. There is simply not enough structure internally to prevent the floors from sagging at the edges. Us structural engineers are used to being given concepts like this and then having to bring everyone back to the reality that gravity must be resisted.

Again, I think the internal floorplans are probably just the product of an overzealous saleseman (they have to do this stuff to get finance). What we can expect to see is a lot more structure cutting through each 'pod' in order to enable the apartments to cantilever such a long way out from the core.

The core itself will have to utilise latest technologies...maybe 150MPa concrete reinforced to 8% or something, or solid steel. The openings in the core will have to be tiny if the structure is to be strong enough and rigid enough to perform. The stresses from lateral loading will be huge.

I agree that a lot of people on this site question building designs without any basis for doing so (silly comments from non-engineers like 'this building is gonna fall over!'). But in this case, I can see that there is a problem with what is being presented as the design. What the design actually is can always be expected to differ from what is presented to the public initially. That's all I'm saying.

The fact that I don't like it is a separate issue Not the appearance, which I think is quite cool, but the outrageous impracticality of it.
Wasn't there a similar proposal by SOM for 7 South Dearborn in Chicago in the early 2000's? If I remember correctly, the structure was a stayed mast core with the floors completely cantilevering from it.

Maybe the cantilevered floors were shorter in the Dearborn case....and I recall that the perimeter window mullions were designed for vierendeel action in order to minimize deflections at the edge of the cantilevers. This can clearly not be done in the dinamic tower since the floors rotate (edge of cantilevers do not always stack).

Anyways, I think that there might be ways to make it work...maybe cantilevered trusses at the partitions between pods. I don't think that the developer could present something to the public that is SO far off from what is actually going to be built.
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 12:51 AM   #151
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

One more problem.

When all the floors are in a random fashion won't there be HUGE moments occuring when any wind blows?
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #152
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

how do they incorporate plumbing and electrical? do the pipes move too???
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 05:57 AM   #153
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 808

What a project !!!!!!!!!! The best i´ve ever seen !

Diseño, arquitectura, arte y naturaleza en:

skyperu34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #154
mehdi_cs
Physicist

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
Electricity: should be short range wireless electrical connection.
Plumbing: should be like air to air refueling mechanism. It seems complex though.
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:12 PM   #155
Assa

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
How does an electric train pick up the current from the overhead wire or electric rail? Seems to me the concept is the same.

As for plumbing, water tanks in the rotating portion of the floor for drinking water and waste water with outlets at regular intervals around the core. The problem will be ensuring a water tight seal when the tanks align with the inlet/outlet. The floors will have to periodically return to a 'home' position to allow refill/emptying.

That's just my guess.
Assa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #156
CessTenn
busy

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Good question! Who knows...
Old July 1st, 2008, 01:06 AM   #157
Green Jello

Likes (Received): 23

http://www.businesssheet.com/2008/6/...raper-a-fraud-

Quote:
Architect Behind Dubai's Rotating Skyscraper A Fraud?
Hilary Lewis | Jun 26, 2008 8:40 PM

dubaibuildinginmotion.jpgItalian "architect" Dr. David Fisher is planning to build an 80-story building in Dubai with rotating floors that would give it an ever-changing shape. He also wants to build similar towers in Russia and New York. The building does look cool (if structurally dubious), but Fisher's credentials and experience leave something to be desired:

WCBStv.com: Fisher acknowledges that he is not well known, has never built a skyscraper before and hasn't practiced architecture regularly in decades. But he insisted his lack of experience wouldn't stop him from completing the project, which has attracted top design talent, including Leslie E. Robertson, the structural engineer for the World Trade Center and the Shanghai World Financial Center.

"I did not design skyscrapers, but I feel ready to do so," Fisher said.

That's a relief. And next comes the possibility that Fisher may be a fraud:

In a biography he had been distributing for months, he said...he received an honorary doctorate from "The Prodeo Institute at Columbia University in New York." No such institution exists, however, and Columbia said it had never awarded Fisher an honorary degree.

Asked to explain the discrepancy, Fisher said, through his New York publicists, that he had been awarded the degree by the Catholic University of Rome during a ceremony in 1994 held at the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine, which is near Columbia's campus.

Asked again to clarify the name of the school that conferred the degree, Fisher's publicists said in an e-mail that "Dr. Fisher did receive an honorary doctorate in Economics from Pre Deo University, but it has been removed from his bio because he wants to be entirely accurate and cannot be with this information."

Come again?
Old July 1st, 2008, 01:39 AM   #158
Phobos

If this thing really gets built,it will surely be one of the most fascinating structures ever built this century.
It's amazing to have a building that can change it's shape
Old July 1st, 2008, 03:39 AM   #159
stewartrama
the stoop- little jackie

Likes (Received): 13

very cool. the developer said he wanted to put a dynamic tower in NYC
stewartrama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 03:45 AM   #160
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote: