daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2008, 03:48 AM   #161
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartrama View Post
very cool. the developer said he wanted to put a dynamic tower in NYC
Wouldn't happen, the NIMBYs would get to it well before it's approved.
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2008, 11:17 AM   #162
Slurms Mackenzie

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
how do they incorporate plumbing and electrical? do the pipes move too???
I have no concerns about the plumbing or electrical. It has been done before, albeit on a smaller scale, but the principles are the same.

The structure on the other hand will have to be revolutionary (pardon the pun again) if it really is built the way it is being presented. Floors magically canitlevering 15-20m out from the core with minimal structure.

If it's true that the 'architect' has been falsely claiming to have an award/qualification that he doesn't have, then this is a concern and makes me even more suspicious about this structure than I was before.
Slurms Mackenzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 04:09 PM   #163
Assa

Likes (Received): 49

It is starting to look like a massive hoax. Would be quite embarrassing for all the media outlets that reported it so quickly.
Assa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 04:37 PM   #164
Peloso

Likes (Received): 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assa View Post
It is starting to look like a massive hoax.
Well it started to do so some time ago already.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:08 PM   #165
Futurist

Likes (Received): 0

Futurist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurms Mackenzie View Post
I have no concerns about the plumbing or electrical. It has been done before, albeit on a smaller scale, but the principles are the same.

The structure on the other hand will have to be revolutionary (pardon the pun again) if it really is built the way it is being presented. Floors magically canitlevering 15-20m out from the core with minimal structure.

If it's true that the 'architect' has been falsely claiming to have an award/qualification that he doesn't have, then this is a concern and makes me even more suspicious about this structure than I was before.
I tend to agree with you regarding the lack of any sort of Structural Detailing in the floorplans. To have a floor radiating from the core, would have to, at the very least, have some sort of high tensile steel tubular truss system (maybe 'Sawtooth') in the ceiling and floor cavities, and tied together at the perimeter end with vertical support bracing, and have at least two internal structural support walls to stop the 'Twist Effect'.

This would have to be obviously secured to the core directly by a 'Failsafe' method at floor and ceiling level and probably diagonally braced for added strength. It would all be boxed in with plaster board or something similar, and this would leave approximately 10 foot ceiling interior height.

The differing weight loads on these floors will alter enormously, imagine on say floor 40 you have a party going on , with say, 50 to a 100 people!, one of the floors has a plunge pool at the window edge, how much do you think the water in that would bloody weigh!!! ( its illustrated in the PDF)

Some guy goes out on the town one night, comes home half pissed, drives his Ferrari in to the lift, goes up to his 75th floor villa, goes to park it, straight out the window! hits the accelerator by mistake!!--Id like to see that!--Assuming he drives out of the lift!

Levels 21 to 35 are reserved as Hotel space. I am in the hotel industry and I can tell you that stoves , ovens, etc, etc, aint very light!.

The rotating Blades between the floors are an intriguing idea, I actually live near a wind turbine tower and the noise it generates up close is very noisy, in that configuration which is illustrated, they might even create a 'lift' effect at the higher levels.

I seriously doubt many of the elements in this project will ever see the light of day in the present proposed form, however time will tell.

To ponder on the positive for a moment I think the overall concept is fantastic and would love to see it go up at some stage, Its just that I would like to see more 'nuts n bolts' documentation and detail.

I wonder if there is a builder or architect in this forum who could give an informed overview of this project as it stands?

Just my two cents worth!--Cheers.
Futurist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 03:42 AM   #166
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Jello View Post
Haha, he is employing Leslie E. Robertson...who designed such a weak structural system for WTC that some would say, failed, when the building was hit on 9/11.
I am not sure if the Sheik or developer would approve of Fisher given his bio..

It is also mentioned that he hasn't had any experience or work involved in building skyscrapers, which suggests he hasn't associated or collaborated with engineers before and doesn't know the process of having engineers by his side in helping him plan and finalize designs for projects. Thus may be the reason behind the transparent plans we have seen and read about on this tower and the lack of credibility in the fancy computer animations we have seen.

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #167
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

I'm sorry but when you're hit by a massive 747 at full speed full of fuel then it's bound to fall no matter what it is.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #168
Assa

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
I'm sorry but when you're hit by a massive 747 at full speed full of fuel then it's bound to fall no matter what it is.
I know I'm being pedantic but none of the planes involved in the 9/11 attacks were 747s.
Assa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #169
The-King

Likes (Received): 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assa View Post
I know I'm being pedantic but none of the planes involved in the 9/11 attacks were 747s.
yes that's true, but let's stay on-topic
The-King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 06:32 AM   #170
renegadee

Likes (Received): 0

some floors could have upto 12 units....which unit controls the rotation of the tower,
they say breakfast with sunrise and dinner with sunset....are some units never gonna see the sun again.
renegadee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 03:56 PM   #171
Slurms Mackenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist View Post
I tend to agree with you regarding the lack of any sort of Structural Detailing in the floorplans .
Us Adelaideans are renowned for being sensible.

One other thing I thought of....progressive collapse. Most countries have to design against this - certainly in the UK and Australia we do. It would be a nightmare to get this tower to work under a progressive collapse scenario. You would basically have to design each level to withstand the additional load from the one above, including impact forces. Maybe design codes for Dubai don't require it.

For those of you who aren't structural engineers, see link below for explanation of what I mean. Inevitably there is dicsussion of the WTC collapse, but the best example is the Ronan Point apartment block:

http://www.modernsteel.com/Uploads/I...30727_nair.pdf

A cantilever is probably the worst possible structural arrangement from this perspective because there is no possible alternative loadpath. At least with a simple span you can expect some catenary action to prevent total collapse.
Slurms Mackenzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #172
korea2002

Likes (Received): 1269

Korean News-2008.7.9

Floors binggeulbinggeul turning into 'dynamic Tower' How bona experts

Construction? "OK" technical difficulties, but possible ideas

The benefit? "NO" astronomical worth the money into custody, questioned whether

'Moving house' 10 yeonyeonjeon experiments are already standing独

Residents focused on convenience and lack of concern geotmoseupeman

AFP reported on September 25 that rotate independently of each floor of the Italian architect David Fisher 'dynamic Tower' news reported. Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 80-story tower to the rotation, and Russia in Moscow to adopt a building shaped like the content cheungjjariui 70. Fischer homepage (www.dynamicarchitecture.net) binggeulbinggeul spinning tower of the movie screen in the early years.

Elevators and plumbing in the center of the circular core, ventilation facilities and residential space is to drive the outer core, so that it can rotate axis. Each floor debate between the necessary power and wind power generators also contains its own production plans.

Fischer this proposal in March this year in Dubai, a skyscraper at the International Institute (CTBUH Council of Tall Buildings & Urban Habitat) announced on.

Fisher attended CTBUH samwoo comprehensive architectural firm met the head of hanjongryul "tan car with a central residential space elevator ride up to a bus stop in front of the painting, porch," "The construction is a lot of technical difficulties, but I think the idea feasible. "He said.

Experts say the plan than the possibility of realizing the benefits of questioning. But technically possible, 'Why do we need to move buildings' They do not seem to worry about is not intellectual.

The concern about moving buildings in the 1960s disappeared Britain 'Aki grams (Archigram)', and can be found. Warren Chalk, Dennis keureompeuteon, David Greene, Ron hereon, Mike Web, architect Peter Cook, Aki grams of 'robot', as a topic of 'Growing (生长), and moving the building' to share ideas for the magazine was published. Hereonui 'Walking in New York City' (1964), such as architecture and urban stereotypes about Japan's proposal is broke grams of meta-architecture, such as construction zones rijeum see beyond science fiction (SF) as a novel, even influence on popular culture.

Fisher is a dynamic tower "building the world's first move," he insisted, but in Germany 10 years ago, a moving story building was actually created.

Various schools of architecture and art professor at Korea yijongho "a 360 day cycle, while the window is like a sunflower or a home side that receives sunlight during the day was always" "The idea of solar energy in trying to get a lot more experimentation and development, but was unable to geuchyeoteul" He said.

'Sunflower housing' buildings do not move, it is technically difficult, but it showed me I could not prove the necessity of movement.

Fischer's homepage on the video tower is a dynamic wave chideut faster rotation. But this image is only emphasized the move. One of the chief "to consider periodically move expected to be mined," "But a lot of valuable enough to acquire a system to geonseolbi journaling questions," he said.

Seoul's Namsan N Seoul Tower observation deck outside the restaurant table is 90 minutes bakwissik rotation. N Seoul Tower gwaknogwan exaggerate the "50 minutes before a meal during a dizzy bakwissik dolryeotneunde he is appealing to many elderly neutchwotda speed," he said.

Yieunseok Kyunghee University professor of architecture and "form an interesting architectural design has sought only to live in those people's lives is not large enough to be worried about," said "Why do you need this movement, a movement of the building users and serious worries about how batahdeulilji Missed it, "he said.
korea2002 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #173
bizzybonita
ĐЯ ฿฿ שίŧђ Ħīĝђ קΘฬξЯ

Likes (Received): 55

good stuff ... thnx for sharing news
Old July 13th, 2008, 01:22 AM   #174
lhft

Likes (Received): 115

There is another rotating Building

Hello everyone,

I'm from Brazil and I have to say that the new building in Dubai is not the first dynamic Tower in the world.

Here there is a 11 floor building in Curitiba ( city in south of Brazil).

You can access the link http://www.indicadordeimoveis.com.br...2/Default.aspx to see the building.

Thanks
lhft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 04:22 AM   #175
HOLABETO

Likes (Received): 928

excellent!
Old July 14th, 2008, 05:00 AM   #176
shaggers_jr
can the can

Likes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhft View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm from Brazil and I have to say that the new building in Dubai is not the first dynamic Tower in the world.

Here there is a 11 floor building in Curitiba ( city in south of Brazil).

You can access the link http://www.indicadordeimoveis.com.br...2/Default.aspx to see the building.

Thanks
As previously stated... these buildings would be technically very different to the Curtiba building, maybe even impossible.
shaggers_jr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #177
Capn Jef

Likes (Received): 9

I'd consider this project a step up from things like that the space needle.
Capn Jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #178
skytrax
Big boss!

Likes (Received): 14031

Amasing!!!
skytrax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 12:27 AM   #179
thaproducer
Esta es mi ciudad...

Likes (Received): 700

super mega amazing
Old July 21st, 2008, 02:45 PM   #180
The Wolfman

Likes (Received): 9

I dunno, it's amazing and all.

But I feel it sorta ruins the skyline a bit.

But hella work, really amazing. Question though, is that structure earthquake/typhoon proof?
As soon as you concern yourself with the “good” and “bad” of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weaken and defeat you.”
~ Morihei Ueshiba
Founder of the Martial Art of Aikido
“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.”
The Wolfman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai