daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #21
CorliCorso

Likes (Received): 6

The Bournemouth pic is out of date, aswell, they now have a small, uncovered stand at that empty end. And the terraced end in the Rotherham pic is now all seated, and their new Main Stand is nearly completed.
CorliCorso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2006, 01:20 AM   #22
Liwwadden

Likes (Received): 58

it is stunning how big the stadiums are, damn!
Old February 25th, 2006, 07:24 PM   #23
Iain1974

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdinand Sluiter
it is stunning how big the stadiums are, damn!
Well some of the teams such as Forest have only recently slipped down that far.

There's a thread on here somewhere with Second Division grounds. I'll try to fing it so you can see those grounds as well.
Iain1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #24
mikeyraw

Oldham Athletic (my club) are redeveloping Boundary Park. The redevelopment starts in may I think.

mikeyraw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:48 AM   #25
Iain1974

ENGLAND - League One Stadiums

Brighton and Hove Albion

Currently - Withdean Stadium - 8,850

Eventually - Falmer Stadium - 22,500

Bristol Rovers

Memorial Stadium - 11,916

Carlisle United

Brunton Park - 16,651

Cheltenham Town

Whaddon Road - 7,300

Colchester United

Colchester Community Stadium / Cuckoo Farm - 10,000 opening in a few weeks.

Crewe Alexandra

Gretsy Road - 10,046

Hartlepool United

Victoria Park - 7,691

Hereford United

Edgar Street - 7,100

Huddersfield Town

Galpharm Stadium - 24,500

Leeds United

Elland Road - 40,242

Leicester City

Walkers Stadium - 32,500

Leyton Orient

Brisbane Road - 9,271

image hosted on flickr

Millwall

The New Den - 20,146

Milton Keynes Dons

stadium:mk - 22,000

Northampton Town

Sixfields Stadium - 7,653

Oldham Athletic

Boundary Park - 10,638

Peterborough United

London Road Stadium - 15,460

Scunthorpe United

Glanford Park - 9,088

Southend United

Roots Hall - 12,306

Stockport County

Edgeley Park - 10,852

Swindon Town

The County Ground - 15,728

Tranmere Rovers

Prenton Park - 16,789

Walsall

Bescott Stadium - 11,300

image hosted on flickr

Yeovil Town

Huish Park - 9,400

Anyone with corrections/updates, please let me know.

Last edited by Iain1974; June 27th, 2008 at 03:18 PM. Reason: correction
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #26
matthemod

Likes (Received): 95

That's an old Picture of Walsall's Bescot Stadium (aka the Banks Stadium) as now one end has a massive two tiered stand in place of an old terrace. It's a shame the Gills got relegated...in a weird way i'm gonna miss the little pokey ground of League 1!

Don't suppose you can do a League 2 one too lol

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #27
NeilF
Reasons To Be Cheerful

Likes (Received): 3

Jeez! That new stand in Walsall looks like it holds more people than the rest of the stadium combined, although for stands that don't quite fit in, you really can't book beyond Brunton Park.

This stand was built at a time when the club were thinking about shifting the pitch a few metres North from where it currently is. The stand was build with this in mind but the rest of the redevelopment never materialised, so the ground is left with a stand that has its centre about 10 metres north of the half way line...

image hosted on flickr
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #28
Iain1974

Comparing some of the stadiums, Leeds/Huddersfield/Leicester/MK for example are definately the haves and Cheltenham/Hartlepool/Hereford the have nots.

Not only the Premier League has a disparity of wealth.

League 2? I'll do it if I get the time.

Last edited by Iain1974; June 27th, 2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old June 28th, 2008, 03:33 AM   #29
matthemod

Likes (Received): 95

Well Leeds and Leicester are ex Premiership teams fallen upon hard times, Huddersfield's ground was built for co-operative use with the Huddersfield Giants Rugby League team, and the less said about football club stealing, Franchise FC the better.

Hartlepool, Cheltenham and Hereford definitely don't have the commercial appeal, or modern conveniances of other grounds in this day and age, but they certainly have character in abundance.

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 05:22 AM   #30
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthemod View Post
and the less said about football club stealing, Franchise FC the better.
Ah yes, England's Dynamo...
krudmonk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 01:28 PM   #31
dudu24
BANNED

Leicester got relegated all the way down to "league one"? Shame to see them and Leeds so low. Clubs with good fanbase...
dudu24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #32
RobH

Likes (Received): 10327

Football takes no prisoners. If you're not good enough on the pitch you'll go down regardless of fanbase. I'm sure both clubs will go up soon. I'd certainly expect Leeds to be a Championship side in 09/10.
RobH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #33
berkshire royal

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudu24 View Post
Leicester got relegated all the way down to "league one"? Shame to see them and Leeds so low. Clubs with good fanbase...
Well thatís English football for you very few clubs are safe from hitting levels such as these. In fact the only clubs in the premier league that I would say that are as good as guaranteed premiership status are the big 4. Leicester got relegated despite spending something like £4m the previous summer and bringing in 2/3 players that were important players in promotion winning squads from the previous season for me this says a lot about the championship. The championship is for me possibly the most competitive league in Europe any one can go up and anyone can go down.
On the stadiums I canít wait to see Falmer Stadium open from the renders that I have seen it looks as if it might be the best new stadium built in England.
berkshire royal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #34
Kamaras Hair Gel

Cant wait for the new season up at Edgeley Park what with Leicester and Dirty Leeds about its gonna be exiting stuff, theres some great stadia in League 1 this term and im exited as county normally do well in the big arenas ( wembley ). for a ground with a cap of less than 10k the noise we can gererated from the cheadle end ( the big stand ) is absolutley awesome so the singing and banter when the big boys visit this year will be world class (!!!)
Kamaras Hair Gel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #35
Kamaras Hair Gel

P.S - I know county has a capacity of slightly over 10k but im being realistic fellas !!!!
Old June 29th, 2008, 11:16 PM   #36
Kamaras Hair Gel

looking at the photos Id have to say that theres tons more charachter in 90% of the grounds in league 1 than in the "bowl" that be the Walkers any thoughts?
Old June 30th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #37
djspromo

The Memorial Stadium (Bristol Rovers) was due to be knocked down and rebuilt, starting this summer and ending in 18 months time. However at the last minute the company who were going to run the student accomodation pulled out, and it has been put back until summer 2009. During the redevelopment they were going to groundshare at Cheltenham's Whaddon Road.

The new stadium will be 18,500 capacity, on the same orientation and on the same site.
djspromo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #38
NeilF
Reasons To Be Cheerful

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaras Hair Gel View Post
looking at the photos Id have to say that theres tons more charachter in 90% of the grounds in league 1 than in the "bowl" that be the Walkers any thoughts?
I think it depends how one views it - did any of the stadia in this thread, especially those that are deemed to have character by the majority, have character when they were first built? At the time when they were originally built, they would have looked little different than any other ground at the time. If at some arbitrary point in the future, it is decided that current stadium design is no longer 'safe', the way terracing was deemed, then I'd say that stadia like the Walkers Stadium would suddenly find character again as parts of the stadium were changed over time.

Ultimately, the character that we talk about, especially in the UK and Ireland is something that is a product of time and time alone. When many stadia in these countries were first built, they followed two general rules - either an oval of terracing (Old Trafford, Wembley, Hampden, Ibrox, Celtic Park, Windsor Park, Stamford Bridge, or various terraces and probably one stand crammed in amongst housing or on sites not suited to sports played on rectangular fields (Lansdowne Road, The Den) or perhaps a combination of the two (St. James Park, Anfield). Very few of these stadia, at the time, would have been considered to have 'character' - perhaps with the exception of Wembley, they were all built in the easiest and most cost effective way possible - I'd also wager, although I cannot say with certainty, that they were built with the most cost effective materials available.

Personally, I'd say that no new build stadium can be built with character - I've been quite vociferous about this in the New Anfield thread. I find that stadium a poor imitation of one that has character that is totally devoid of the tradition of newly built stadia in England. Perhaps more worryingly, I can only assume that New Anfield is a product of the fact that the club's owners feel that the club can afford it. That final condition is simply not an option for clubs like Leicester City or Southampton, to whom the most economical design and materials are optimal.

I guess this is a very pleonastic way of agreeing with you, but I dislike the ethic behind the post (and I mean that non-specifically - the comment, and it comes from many, annoys me rather than your question itself) - but I don't feel this is the product of the design of stadia like The Walkers Stadium or a problem that only exists currently - in their respective times, there was little difference between many newly built stadia - those that stand out are the ones that have evolved over many years.

Most stadia we consider to have character have changed over time, as safety concerns and how clubs maximise revenues have changed, with stands built over a number of years and even decades and that follow the the previous rules of a club's capacity demands and most economical design. If these demands and concerns change as drastically as they have in the last 50 years or so then I'd say we'll see similar transformations of stadia like The Walkers or St. Marys.
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #39
Kamaras Hair Gel

no, thats a valid and very good point. I guess that im relating to bowls like a lot of others in that they are drab and a bit boring without considering the whole picture. Id say the charachter i am speaking of is the scenario of the older ground with 4 differing but identifiable stands that are different in look but that somehow fit into the look of the ground. Take Edgeley Park, we have a crusty old main stand, an "open" scoreboard end, a small pitch length stand and a whacking great kop - the Cheadle End. This stand is 13 years old and you'd think this would look stupid sat next to the much older stands but it doesnt at all and fits it really well, and is instantly recognisable. Therefore adding to the charm of the ground.
Old June 30th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #40
Demetrius
The Besieger

Likes (Received): 313

"Kamaras Hair Gel", are you of greek descent btw?
Kamaras was the captain of Panathinaikos team that reached euro final (Wembley) in 1971.
The splendour of its prime;
And leave, if nought so bright may live,
All earth can take or Heaven can give.

Percy Bysshe Shelley, "Hellas"
Demetrius no está en línea   Reply With Quote