daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area > Completed Projects

Completed Projects Completed tall buildings in Liverpool and Merseyside.



Reply

 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 65 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 25th, 2011, 11:33 PM   #1081
Cast Iron Shaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 500
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuxTex View Post
Definitely a wrong statement. There are quite literally thousands of Romanians (and many more other east Europeans) aboard cruise ships. Most are waiters, bedroom attendants, bar waiters/waitresses. Most are well educated with a great command of the English language.
The major UK cruise line is P&O. They almost exclusively use Indian and Goanese nationals as service staff.
Fred Olsen and Saga, the other two main UK brands primarily use other Asian nationals.
RCCL and Celebrity, on their ex UK cruises tend to be far more extensive on their choice of nationals and i have come across the occasional East European
Be interested to know which Lines, in your experience employ 'thousands' of Romanians?
Cast Iron Shaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old June 26th, 2011, 01:20 AM   #1082
Awayo
Support the Squirrels
 
Awayo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 15,526
Likes (Received): 701

Idiot vs. idiot. Btw, Goa has been in India for some time.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #1083
Martin S
LIVERPOOL
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 7,600
Likes (Received): 550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Shaw View Post
Martin
I cautiously agree with you.
However a lot of people on here have accused me of negativity.
There are reasons for this, one of them is the fact that as I travel extensively, I am continually battered by the criticism of Liverpool not being able to stand on its own two feet, reliant on grants etc etc.
Unfortunately, in SOME (often high profile) cases this is true. However these occasions then deflect from the genuine progress being made in the majority of investment schemes in the area.
Yesterday I saw a precise of a confidential report on the Boat Show fiasco.
I have to say I didnt realise quite how much public money had been pumped into this failed event, which included a six figure sum from LCC itself just weeks before the organisers pulled the plug
The organisers claimed the event was undermined by important exhibitors pulling out as a consequence of a 'disastrous' London Boat Show but the five largest yacht builders in the country were all keen to progress.
It is interesting also to note that a recent commercial boat show in the UK posted record figures so you may wonder how much of the detail emanating from the £750k PR budget spent on promoting the Liverpool Boat Show could actually be trusted.
There is some suggestion that some of the marketing people involved in the Boat Show fiasco are involved in the cruise terminal promotion.
Lets hope their figure work is better this time round or this could further impact on Liverpool's reputation
I honestly don't know the answer to this Shaw. There are so many opinions on the competence (or lack of it) of our elected leaders and I am too far removed from these people to make any worthwhile judgement.

I have to rely on basic principles. For example, is the fact that Heathrow Airport is by far the busiest in Britain down to the fact that they have super-competent managers? If these people were to be transferred up to Durham Tees Valley, would that start sprouting runways and terminals and tens of millions more passengers? I think the answer to both questions is 'no'.

It is the old estate agent mantra 'location, location and location' and our cruise liner terminal is at the focal point of a high profile city, with a very populous hinterland and hundreds of miles from the nearest rival. So I think that Liverpool scores on all three. So, unless the people responsible are super-incompetent we should make a success of it.
Martin S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 04:39 AM   #1084
EuxTex
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,097
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Shaw View Post
Be interested to know which Lines, in your experience employ 'thousands' of Romanians?
RCCL, Carnival, MSC, Costa, Celebrity, HAL, Silver Sea, P&O Princess, Seabourn, Crystal, Windstar, Cunard, Azamara. I have encountered Romanians, and many other east Europeans, on ships of all the forgoing. I cannot prove my encountering Romanians, you will have to take my word for that, but I can prove that I have sailed aboard ships of all those cruise lines.

Last edited by EuxTex; June 26th, 2011 at 04:51 AM.
EuxTex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #1085
MarineMan
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,200
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagey17 View Post
Im sick of this you lot, you vote Labour yet Cameron is brown nosing you with museums, vast ocean liners up the mersey, first class garden festival housing and Liverpool Waters & Wirral enterprise zones. No doubt he will be getting the yanks to build you a world class stadium soon! Whatever happened to working class Liverpool!!!
Idiot Cameron has been in power a year. All, that precedes him.
Liverpool has it class levels like all others. The working class? Where are they? Why others only identify Liverpool as being working class?

Last edited by MarineMan; June 26th, 2011 at 01:01 PM.
MarineMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #1086
Cast Iron Shaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 500
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuxTex View Post
RCCL, Carnival, MSC, Costa, Celebrity, HAL, Silver Sea, P&O Princess, Seabourn, Crystal, Windstar, Cunard, Azamara. I have encountered Romanians, and many other east Europeans, on ships of all the forgoing. I cannot prove my encountering Romanians, you will have to take my word for that, but I can prove that I have sailed aboard ships of all those cruise lines.
Eux Tex
I do take your word for it.
I ask the question of you as an experienced traveller, for my own information, not to question the validity of it

btw interested in your experience of Windstar
Cast Iron Shaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #1087
Cast Iron Shaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 500
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awayo View Post
Idiot vs. idiot. Btw, Goa has been in India for some time.
Whilst Goa has been part of India for about 50 yrs or so, it has a Portuguese culture so the people looks upon themselves as different to the largely British influenced India

Bit like Scotland, Wales and Ireland

So the Goanese like to portray themselves as separate to India even though they have relatively recently been subsumed into the Indian nation.

I don't see that as being particularly idiotic but obviously respect your view as someone who obviously knows a lot about the subject
Cast Iron Shaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #1088
Cast Iron Shaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 500
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awayo View Post
Idiot vs. idiot. Btw, Goa has been in India for some time.
Whilst Goa has been part of India for about 50 yrs or so, it has a Portuguese culture so the people looks upon themselves as different to the largely British influenced India

Bit like Scotland, Wales and Ireland relative to the UK

So the Goanese like to portray themselves as separate to India even though they have relatively recently been subsumed into the Indian nation.

I don't see that as being particularly idiotic but obviously respect your view as someone who obviously knows a lot about the subject
Cast Iron Shaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #1089
Cast Iron Shaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 500
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
I honestly don't know the answer to this Shaw. There are so many opinions on the competence (or lack of it) of our elected leaders and I am too far removed from these people to make any worthwhile judgement.

I have to rely on basic principles. For example, is the fact that Heathrow Airport is by far the busiest in Britain down to the fact that they have super-competent managers? If these people were to be transferred up to Durham Tees Valley, would that start sprouting runways and terminals and tens of millions more passengers? I think the answer to both questions is 'no'.

It is the old estate agent mantra 'location, location and location' and our cruise liner terminal is at the focal point of a high profile city, with a very populous hinterland and hundreds of miles from the nearest rival. So I think that Liverpool scores on all three. So, unless the people responsible are super-incompetent we should make a success of it.
Martin
You are a reasoned poster and your argument relects this.
However the same was said of the Boat Show.
The same was said about the expected development of the current cruise terminal ie up to 50 calls in 5 yrs when there are only 16 this year.
It would be nice to see a proper commercial proposal not just fine words
Cast Iron Shaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #1090
MarineMan
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,200
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Shaw View Post
Martin
You are a reasoned poster
Because he agrees with you and few others do.

Quote:
The same was said about the expected development of the current cruise terminal ie up to 50 calls in 5 yrs when there are only 16 this year.
A world-wide depression came along. But cruises starting in the UK are up. That is what we want.

It would be nice to see the terminal doing cruise starts and screw constricted grant terms. A grant for a terminal and only ships can stop for a day? How ridiculous.

Last edited by MarineMan; June 26th, 2011 at 02:15 PM.
MarineMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #1091
EuxTex
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,097
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Shaw View Post
btw interested in your experience of Windstar
Had three good experiences and one bad one. The cruise line is/was, as you are probably aware, a carnival Cruise Line member but has since been sold on. The ships and service were the usual (catering to a NA clientèle) and the food was the same. To be honest, the experience was, with just a little deviation, normal cruise fare. Less formal of course but with the usual opportunity for the ladies to put on their finery. All in all, a typical cruise offer with the added novelty of computer generated simulated sail experience. I say simulated because most of the time when the sails were set we were still under engine power.

If you wish a true sail experience and have some knowledge of sail handling, I would suggest "Bare Boating" out of the BVI. You can go it alone or be crewed by an experienced captain and crew. The holiday is affordable if you join with a number of friends. Try a sixty footer with three or four other couples.
EuxTex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #1092
Cast Iron Shaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 500
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineMan View Post
Because he agrees with you and few others do.

Actually he doesnt agree with me but at least argues in a reasonable way unlike you who appear to have a reputation for posting drivel under a number of psuedonyms


A world-wide depression came along. But cruises starting in the UK are up. That is what we want.

Explain then why Uk cruise nos and calls from almost all UK cruise ports have seen year on year growth since the 1990's (apart from Mostyn that is!!) and Liverpool has failed to meet its relatively modest Grant related target?

It would be nice to see the terminal doing cruise starts and screw constricted grant terms. A grant for a terminal and only ships can stop for a day? How ridiculous.
But that's what was signed up for as part of the Grant allocation so no wonder other competitors are calling foul
Cast Iron Shaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #1093
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
 
Paul D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 13,832
Likes (Received): 1772

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagey17 View Post
Im sick of this you lot, you vote Labour yet Cameron is brown nosing you with museums, vast ocean liners up the mersey, first class garden festival housing and Liverpool Waters & Wirral enterprise zones. No doubt he will be getting the yanks to build you a world class stadium soon! Whatever happened to working class Liverpool!!!
All of this has been in the pipeline or getting built for years,when Labour was in power actually and we were run by the Lib Dems back then,you really are misinformed.What are you expecting,the working classes to rise up and say no more regeneration or something? What a bizarre notion.
__________________
Aerials installed Liverpool
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #1094
pagey17
Registered User
 
pagey17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Leeds, Yorkshire
Posts: 955
Likes (Received): 3

Labour cancelled this facility because it would be "unfair competition" for Southampton right? And plus the enterprise zones were never in the pipeline under Labour just vast government handouts.
pagey17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #1095
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
 
Paul D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 13,832
Likes (Received): 1772

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagey17 View Post
Labour cancelled this facility because it would be "unfair competition" for Southampton right? And plus the enterprise zones were never in the pipeline under Labour just vast government handouts.

Unfair competition for a port that has 65% of the market,tell me how does that work? It's all politicians playing the game of politics

Before the enterprise zones,the plans were still in place but nothing was built,now we have these enterprise zones and nothing's actually been built,tell me what have we gained?
__________________
Aerials installed Liverpool
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #1096
bluesnapper
Registered User
 
bluesnapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 2,864
Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagey17 View Post
Labour cancelled this facility because it would be "unfair competition" for Southampton right? And plus the enterprise zones were never in the pipeline under Labour just vast government handouts.
Will that "unfair competition" reasoning be still in place when Leeds gets a HSR line passing through it?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by livermouse View Post
Isnt it time they closed this white Elephant and stop wasting money
bluesnapper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #1097
Awayo
Support the Squirrels
 
Awayo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 15,526
Likes (Received): 701

Soton is a red herring in this. The only rule being broken is that EU one that states that competing enterprises should not receive regional aid. EU money had gone into the Port of Mostyn to help them build a cruise terminal and so the money could not be used in Liverpool for the same purpose. The Sotonites are just trying it on, this really doesn't have anything to do with them. That said, while I am sure that people in Liverpool knew that at some point the facility would be upgraded into a terminal, the money was accepted under the conditions set by the EU rules, which is why some kind of negotiation about paying money back is necessary. Why we have to wait for a Tory government to be reasonable about this when the city has four Labour MPs is an interesting question.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #1098
Cast Iron Shaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 500
Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awayo View Post
Soton is a red herring in this. The only rule being broken is that EU one that states that competing enterprises should not receive regional aid. EU money had gone into the Port of Mostyn to help them build a cruise terminal and so the money could not be used in Liverpool for the same purpose. The Sotonites are just trying it on, this really doesn't have anything to do with them. That said, while I am sure that people in Liverpool knew that at some point the facility would be upgraded into a terminal, the money was accepted under the conditions set by the EU rules, which is why some kind of negotiation about paying money back is necessary. Why we have to wait for a Tory government to be reasonable about this when the city has four Labour MPs is an interesting question.
Awayo
Our dear friend Marineman has been banging on about Mostyn without any detail
I am keen to learn more
As I understand it Mostyn spent money to upgrade their Ferry Terminal in 2001. They may have received some Grant Aid for this, I'm not sure.
irrespective of the ins and ourts of this, P&O transferred their Dublin to Mostyn ferry service to the Mersey in 2004 so the investment was frankly wasted.
Meanwhile a small regional travel agent, Travelscope (based in Gloucester) undertook 2 or 3 small cruises out of the Mostyn Ferry terminal. I think Travelscope may have gone bust some time after.
Since then Mostyn appear to have no interest in cruises, in fact it is not even shown as an option on their website.
Mostyn appear to be concentrating on Windfarm shipments and the Airbus frames
Mostyn did, in fact, make a general port related presentation to a Parliamentary Steering committee in April 2009 which stated in the preamble...Item 1.3.1 ...
'Development in Welsh ports of dedicated cruise terminals for turnrounds is hampered due to insufficient numbers and geographical location. Opportunities for cruise ship transit calls could develop but the economic benefit these will bring to the port and local economy will be minimal.

Further on into the body of the report Item 5.1 - 5.4 are some further interesting insights into the perceived value of turnround calls which again displayed a distinct lack of interest in competing for any cruise business.

Although I have yet to see any relevance of Mostyn in the Grant Aid bid or restrictions relating to Liverpool, I would be grateful for any guidance as I am always keen to take onboard new info
Cast Iron Shaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #1099
MarineMan
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,200
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Shaw View Post
P&O transferred their Dublin to Mostyn ferry service to the Mersey in 2004 so the investment was frankly wasted.
I don't think P&O did. They sold the ships to I think Norfolk who run from the Mersey. P&O have always hated Liverpool. Thatcher, who also hated the city, gave their heads needless gongs. I doubt P&O will operate cruises from Liverpool.

Mostyn appear to have no interest in cruises because there is no business interest from there. They did run some though, and ferries. They know Liverpool would sweep the market. Port-of-call for small ships my be on the cards.
MarineMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #1100
Awayo
Support the Squirrels
 
Awayo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 15,526
Likes (Received): 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Shaw View Post
Although I have yet to see any relevance of Mostyn in the Grant Aid bid or restrictions relating to Liverpool, I would be grateful for any guidance as I am always keen to take onboard new info
It is what was reported at the time the facility was planned. Any articles from then will be getting on for a decade old, and not easy to find, but you are welcome to google if you like.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu