daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 24th, 2006, 12:32 AM   #181
pit.pit

Likes (Received): 0

Shanghai Maglev extension to link airports

Hello: Breaking news? Just heard about a Shanghai Maglev extension to link twoa airports! The Shanghai Daily Newspaper reports today:

"SHANGHAI'S two airports could soon be linked by a maglev train line, if the central government approves the project, officials with a government-backed construction company said yesterday.
The city is also planning to build two highways linking the Pudong International Airport with downtown Shanghai and Jinshan District.
The existing maglev line, which currently connects Pudong International Airport with the Longyang Road Metro Station, will be extended over the next few year across the Huangpu River to the Hongqiao Airport. The connection will allow travelers to commute between the two airports in about 15 minutes, according to Xu Zheng, president of Shanghai Construction Group.
The two airports are about 40 kilometers apart, and it takes more than an hour to travel between them by car. Many people fly into the Hongqiao Airport from other parts of the country, and then have to catch international flights out of Pudong.
"China's maglev construction technology has reached the world-class level," said Xu. "So technically speaking, we are confident about extending the maglev line."
According to the preliminary plan, the maglev will extend from the Longyang Road Metro Station to the Hongqiao Airport with stops at the World Expo site and the Shanghai South Railway Station.
....."

More here: Shanghai Maglev Extension

pit.pit
pit.pit no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2006, 03:13 AM   #182
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 16043

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-taylor
Does anyone have a map that just shows future metro lines cause that above map includes 5 light-rail lines (L1-5) and I thought the R-lines are commuter services lines?
This one may look less messy to you. If you need a map showing metro lines only excuse me, I don't have one.

Metro lines are in red, light rail ones in green and commuter ones in dark blue. I wonder if all of them are included in those 400 km or not. I read that there are 800 km proposed for 2020 but I suppose they still haven't released concrete plans.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.

Last edited by z0rg; January 24th, 2006 at 03:19 AM.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 12:22 PM   #183
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Likes (Received): 9

Well if thats true then there are somewhere around 156 stops and that includes commuter line and light rail interchanges from the current approx 63 stops. Pretty impressive but then the city does have a population upwards of between 15-20mn!

I suspect they mean 400km for all light rail and heavy rail and not 400km for the underground railway.
nick_taylor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #184
raymond_tung88

Likes (Received): 14

Nice! I just don't see why they just don't extend the Maglev to Lujiazui, close down Hongqiao, and just expand Pudong International to include all domestic and international flights...
raymond_tung88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #185
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

As far as I know, they are NOT too happy with the location of Pudong airport.

I heard about plans to extend Honquiao with a second runway and second terminal so that it has the capacity of pudong.

Thats because all people, who come from the west of shanghai by train have to go through or around the city and then far far out to reach pudong airport.

But Honquiao is much better to reach.

And wenn the High speed lines from Wuxi and Hanghzhou come together at shanghai, it is possible to connect them to Honquiao airport, but not to pudong.....
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #186
Mr.JACOB

Likes (Received): 13

THis light rail is a normal metro but it dont have any stops underground. They use the same cars as in warsaw subway it havy rail.
Mr.JACOB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #187
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.JACOB
THis light rail is a normal metro but it dont have any stops underground. They use the same cars as in warsaw subway it havy rail.
So what exactly is the rolling stock then? Is it like Docklands Light Railway stock which is somewhere inbetween being a metro but also a tram.
nick_taylor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #188
Mr.JACOB

Quote:
So what exactly is the rolling stock then? Is it like Docklands Light Railway stock which is somewhere inbetween being a metro but also a tram.
Yes i know the docklands light rail and of course its light rail. But i dont understand chinese people they call a havy rail metro train a light rail just becouse is not going underground This are alstom "metropolitan" trains or somethink like that
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #189
Mr.JACOB

I dont know how to put photos and i dont know the link to this chinese site. The trains are similar to warsaw so hear the link:

http://metro.civ.pl/foto/stacja%20Pl...556_resize.JPG

http://metro.civ.pl/foto/stacja%20Kabaty/PC280031.JPG

http://metro.civ.pl/foto/stacja%20Kabaty/IMGP2043.JPG

http://metro.civ.pl/foto/Stacja%20Te...a/IM001592.JPG

http://metro.civ.pl/foto/Stacja%20Te...a/IM001590.JPG

http://www.metro.waw.pl/page.php?id=57

If someone will show me then i can put alsow the flix of shanghai becouse i got them on my pc
Old January 24th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #190
Wisarut

Likes (Received): 2523

Well Shanghai metro uses both Siemens and ALSTHOM rollign stocks - with both driver (Line 1 Line 2) and driverless (for Line 3 and Line 5) ...
Old January 24th, 2006, 11:43 PM   #191
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Quote:
Does anyone have a map that just shows future metro lines cause that above map includes 5 light-rail lines (L1-5) and I thought the R-lines are commuter services lines?
not exactly.
you should note that the future R1 line is the actually line 1 of shanghai metro. why the chinese distinguish them on the expantion plan i really don't know. but it's their system. if the L-lines are metro without underground stations let's call them LRT, if teh Metro is only underground then let's them call it in that way and if they want call other lines R-lines ...? maybe these are mixed L and M lines? but i think the R-lines are normal metro lines going outside the city or only outside the central zone, all the R lines don't end in the central area but they go far away, just have a look at that wonderful map

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany

Last edited by Falubaz; January 24th, 2006 at 11:50 PM.
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 01:00 AM   #192
Mr.JACOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisarut
Well Shanghai metro uses both Siemens and ALSTHOM rollign stocks - with both driver (Line 1 Line 2) and driverless (for Line 3 and Line 5) ...
Yes i know that but we are talking about line 5 this what they call light rail.
Old January 25th, 2006, 01:03 AM   #193
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQui
They were significantly poorer. Even after a decade of high growth, China is barely even half as wealthy as Russia, and Russia's wealth fell (at least in aggregate terms) as a result of the collapse of the Soviet Union
China's wealth is now greater than that of Russia.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 01:14 AM   #194
Mr.JACOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz
not exactly.
you should note that the future R1 line is the actually line 1 of shanghai metro. why the chinese distinguish them on the expantion plan i really don't know. but it's their system. if the L-lines are metro without underground stations let's call them LRT, if teh Metro is only underground then let's them call it in that way and if they want call other lines R-lines ...? maybe these are mixed L and M lines? but i think the R-lines are normal metro lines going outside the city or only outside the central zone, all the R lines don't end in the central area but they go far away, just have a look at that wonderful map
No no its wrong becouse they call the R's the light rails (line 5) and its allready in use. I saw it and it is a full metro. I dont know what about the L's becouse they dont have it yet. The same situation is in Wuhan its full havy rail metro but it dont have any underground stations and they call it wuhan lrt. Alsow in Tianjin there is a havy rail S-train and alsow there they call it Lrt

Take a look at this maps:

http://subwayfuture.nease.net/map/she.gif

http://subwayfuture.nease.net/map/shplane.gif
Old January 25th, 2006, 06:21 AM   #195
DonQui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates
China's wealth is now greater than that of Russia.

this is a lie. China remains far behind Russia and likely with greater regional disparities than Russia. In total GDP, yes, but this means little as the country does house 20% of humanity. It will take at least another decade of break neck growth to allow China to surpass Russia in terms of per capita wealth

I am not trying to slight China, I am trying to provide a rational as to why Russia and the former Soviet Union had much more widespread metro systems: they were wealthier.
DonQui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #196
loadsofbulls

double post
loadsofbulls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #197
loadsofbulls

Quote:
I suspect they mean 400km for all light rail and heavy rail and not 400km for the underground railway.
Even if so this system is still amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg
Old January 25th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #198
loadsofbulls

Quote:
Russia and the former Soviet Union had much more widespread metro systems: they were wealthier.
The past means nothing.
Old January 25th, 2006, 08:38 AM   #199
DonQui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadsofbulls
The past means nothing.
DonQui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #200
loadsofbulls

Quote:
China remains far behind Russia and likely with greater regional disparities than Russia.
China is undervalued because of the magic of the exchange rate. I believe a lot of the Chinese, particularly those who live in the large cities are many times wealthier than the Russians.

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram