daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 1st, 2011, 02:31 PM   #1981
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

The boundary between Metro and Light Rail has always been fuzzy, with technical distinctions that include train size, voltage and passenger levels, but most everyday distinctions are purely arbitrary.

For example, most people would call the Docklands Light Railway nothing but a light railway, but in terms of line and train capacity and voltage, it is almost no inferior to London Underground.

In Shanghai there are two types of trains in operation, type A trains with cars 23.5 metres long and 3 metres wide, and type C trains with cars 19 metres long and 2.6 metres wide. The latter is technically classed as a light rail train, and was originally intended as such. Lines 5 and 6 were indeed designed as light rail systems with stations that can only handle 4-car sets that were never supposed to be busy, but predictably as urbanisation exceeded expectations the lines are becoming overworked. Line 8 was always designed as a metro but someone thought it'd be a good idea to do it on the cheap using light-rail specifications (i.e. type C trains) and high frequencies. Lo and behold it couldn't handle the volume of passengers on the first day.

That the media got the public to think that light rail = elevated rail is another matter entirely, although local authorities did tend to brand their elevated heavy rail system as a 'light rail' to gain approval from the central 'development and reform bureau', with Shanghai's line 3 being a typical example.

Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2011, 06:58 PM   #1982
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Why are you proud? Did you build it?
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:06 PM   #1983
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
I think people should be justifiably proud of infrastructure advancement in their cities.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:36 PM   #1984
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
Please clear the confusion.
I suspect the term "rapid transit" is going to trump all other ones (e.g., metro, LRT, etc.).....in case you didn't know, the word "rail" isn't what's being abbreviated in "LRT"

Quote:
Were we all about to see a scrap conducted ESL? For a rapid transit network inaugurated 16 years ago to be trumping all other ones, anybody would be proud, no matter where s/he hail from

Last edited by trainrover; September 1st, 2011 at 10:44 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 02:16 AM   #1985
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Were we all about to see a scrap conducted ESL? For a rapid transit network inaugurated 16 years ago to be trumping all other ones, anybody would be proud, no matter where s/he hail from
I wasn't saying it isn't a great achievement. I was more hinting at the tendency a lot of people have for taking pride in things they had nothing to do with.

Like people being proud of a metro system that is somewhere on their continent. Or American that are proud of the Grand Canyon. Or people that say "I am proud to be from X". Even though they were only just born there, which isn't really a valid reason to be proud
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 02:21 AM   #1986
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
I think people should be justifiably proud of infrastructure advancement in their cities.
As far as i can tell, he's from Kolkata and had nothing to do with the Shanghai metro.

I have bought things and services in Shanghai, for which i have paid taxes. So indirectly i partly financed the Shanghai metro, even if only ever so slightly... so i can take pride as well, then!
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2011, 07:30 PM   #1987
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
which isn't really a valid reason to be proud
Unfair!

Quote:
take pride
How come? Must some politburo over there've letcha in on one of their swindles?!?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 12:49 AM   #1988
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1142

PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE OF SHANGHAI TRAM

I found that typing TRAMS IN SHANGHAI in wikipedia will show best articles about Shanghai’s previous tram network, & modern tram details also by typing ZHANGJIANG TRAM.

A very rare colour photo of pre '70-s tram.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 01:00 AM   #1989
Ashis Mitra

Quote:
As far as i can tell, he's from Kolkata and had nothing to do with the Shanghai metro.

I have bought things and services in Shanghai, for which i have paid taxes. So indirectly i partly financed the Shanghai metro, even if only ever so slightly... so i can take pride as well, then!
I wan't to forward positive points of Shanghai metro to Kolkata metro. If Shanghai could build 11 metro lines only in 16 years to be the largest metro of the world, at least Kolkata could do the half.

I feel proud that China is the neighboring country of India.

I’ve some questions (arose after viewing some websites). Please answer one by one –
1) Will Line 1 be extended from Fujin Road to Chongming Island?
2) Will Line 2 be extended from Pudong International Airport to Pudong Railway Station & from Guanglang Road to Disneyland?
3) Will Line 5 be extended from Dongchuan Road to Haiwan & from Xinzhuang to Honqiao Airport?
4) Will Line 9 be extended from Middle Yanggao Road to Caolu & from Songjiang New City to Songjiang South Railway Station?
5) Will line 10 be extended from New Jiangwan City to Huandong No.1 Avenue?
6) Will line 11 be extended from Jiangsu Road to Disneyland & from Anting to Huaqiao?
7) Will there be a new Line 12 from Qixin Road to Jinsui Road ?
8) Will there be a new Line 13 from Huajiang Road to Xintiandi & from Changqing Road to Sunqiao ?
9) Will there be a new Line 14? What will be the route?
10) Will there be a new Line 15 from Qihua Road to Zizhu Science-Based Industry Park ?
11) Will there be a new Line 16 from Hongkou Football Stadium to Wujing ?
12) Will there be a new Line 17 from Hongqiao Railway Station to Gongqing Forest Park ?
13) Will there be a new Line 18 from Changbei Road to Hangtou Town ?
14) Will there be a new Line 19 from Jinhai Road to Chongming Island & Hengsha Island ?
15) Will there be a new Line 20 from Hongqiao Railway Station to Shanghai Oriental Land ?
16) Will there be a new Line 21 from Longyang Road to Lingang New City ?
17) Will there be a new Line 22 from Shanghai South Railway Station to Jinshan New Town ?
18) Is the satellite town Kushan is also building a subway system? If yes please give some details.
Old September 5th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #1990
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
I wan't to forward positive points of Shanghai metro to Kolkata metro. If Shanghai could build 11 metro lines only in 16 years to be the largest metro of the world, at least Kolkata could do the half.

I’ve some questions (arose after viewing some websites). Please answer one by one –
2) Will Line 2 be extended from Pudong International Airport to Pudong Railway Station & from Guanglang Road to Disneyland?
3) Will Line 5 be extended from Dongchuan Road to Haiwan & from Xinzhuang to Honqiao Airport?
4) Will Line 9 be extended from Middle Yanggao Road to Caolu & from Songjiang New City to Songjiang South Railway Station?
6) Will line 11 be extended from Jiangsu Road to Disneyland & from Anting to Huaqiao?
8) Will there be a new Line 13 from Huajiang Road to Xintiandi & from Changqing Road to Sunqiao ?
10) Will there be a new Line 15 from Qihua Road to Zizhu Science-Based Industry Park ?
12) Will there be a new Line 17 from Hongqiao Railway Station to Gongqing Forest Park ?
14) Will there be a new Line 19 from Jinhai Road to Chongming Island & Hengsha Island ?
15) Will there be a new Line 20 from Hongqiao Railway Station to Shanghai Oriental Land ?
17) Will there be a new Line 22 from Shanghai South Railway Station to Jinshan New Town ?
18) Is the satellite town Kushan is also building a subway system? If yes please give some details.
1) No idea, but I don't think so. It was Line 9 that was planned to go to Chongming, but I don't know when.
2) Don't know
3)Yes, Line 5 will be extended south to at least to Xidu/Nanqiao by 2014. I've read that the north extension to Hongqiao will not be numbered Line 5
4) Yes. The Songjiang extension is already U/C, as far as I know.
5) Don't know
6) Yes. This is already partly U/C from Jiangsu Road into Pudong, and the Huaqiao section will be U/C soon. The Disneyland section will come later.
7) Yes. This line is now U/C.
8) Yes. This line is now U/C.
9-15) Don't know.
16) Yes. This line is now U/C.
17) Yes. This line is now U/C.
18) Don't know.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #1991
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
1) Maybe. Line 19 is already planned to go there.
2) Yes to both, but is long term.
3) Yes to both, but Xinzhuang-Hongqiao Railway Station may become part of line 20 when enters operation.
4) Yes. Songjiang New City to Songjiang South Station will open next year.
5) Yes.
6) Yes. Jiangsu Road-Luoshan Road will open next yeat. Same to Anting-Huaqiao (Located on Jiangsu province).
7) Yes. Jinhai Road (Not Jinsui road as you said) to Dalian Road will open next year.
8) Yes, and from Xitiandi to Changqing Road (Already built, but not open since this was the EXPO section). Huajiang Road to Jinshajiang Road will open next year.
9) Yes, it will go from Jiangqiao to Jinqiao, and will relief line 2. It will include a stop in Lujiazui.
10 to 17) Yes to all. However, they swapped the numeration of lines 16 and 21 last year. Same to lines 17 and 20. Line 16 (What you called line 21) will open next year. Line 22 is opening later this year.
18) Sincerely, I don't know any info about that.

You forgot the planned extension of line 8 from Aerospace Museum to Huizhen, which could start construction soon.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Last edited by CNGL; September 5th, 2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Aerospace Museum and no Aerospace City
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #1992
CNGL
Leudimin

And now I can read your mind, Ashis Mitra. I believe your next questions will be these:

1) Left side, right side or both side, - which type of platforms are in most numbers in Shanghai subway network?
2) Elevated, ground level or underground, - which type of stations are in most numbers in Shanghai subway network?
3) Which are the highest & deepest station of Shanghai metro?
4) Which is the busiest metro station on Shanghai metro?
5) Which stations have interchange facility with suburban rail network on Shanghai metro?
6) Where is/are the depot(s) of the subway network?

And the answers are:
1) Left side.
2) Underground.
3) Don't know.
4) This time I know it: People's Square.
5) There are no suburban trains in Shanghai. The closest thing will be line 22 and line 16.
6) At these locations:
Fujin Road and Meilong (Between Shanghai Railway South Station and Jinjiang Park) (Line 1)
Beidi Road (Between Hongqiao Terminal 2 and Songhong Road), Longyang Road and Chuansha (Between Yuandong Avenue and Haitiansan Road) (Line 2)
North Jiangyang Road and Shilong Road (Line 3)
Puhuitang (Between Yishan Road and Shanghai Indoor Stadium) (Line 4)
Jianchuan Road (Line 5)
Gangcheng Road and Sanlin (Between Gaoqing Road and West Huaxia Road) (Line 6)
Qihua Road and Longyang Road (again) (Line 7)
Yinhang (Beyond Shiguang) and Pujiang Town (Beyond Aerospace Museum) (Line 8)
Jiuting (Line 9)
Wuzhong Road (Between Longbai Xincun and Ziteng Road) (Line 10)
North Jiading (Line 11)
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
Old September 7th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #1993
null
Mind Reader

Likes (Received): 1019

Quote:

It's Kunshan (昆山), not Kushan.

The answer is positive, here's the plan (2009-2030)

Highcliff liked this post
null no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #1994
Ashis Mitra

CNGL, thank you for advance answer, yes those were my questions also.

Thank you again.
Old September 7th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #1995
Ashis Mitra

From various sources I’ve tried to get a clear view of Shanghai’s old tram network.

Former tram route 8 ran via Nanjing Road from Yangshupu to East New Bridge.
The Route 1 ran from the terminus at Jian’ansi (静安寺) to Wait an(外滩) alongside the Huangpu River, passing through Beijing Road and Nanjing Road on its way, with a total length of over 6 km.
Tram Route 3 that ran between Hongkou Park and Pentagon Square

In the following decades, nearly two dozen more tram lines surfaced to cover the entire downtown area of Shanghai, extending to Yangshupu (杨树浦, today’s Yangpu District)in the east, Hongkou Park (虹口公园) and old train station in the north, Xujiahui (徐家汇) in the west and Lujiawan (卢家湾) in the south, with the average daily number of passengers the trams handled reaching almost half million (486,000). Yet of 22 tram lines, 11 were owned by British companies, 7 ran by French merchants, with only 4 belonged to Chinese. Could anybody show me the area written in bold comparing on the map of Shanghai/ Shanghai metro?

The old Shanghai tram used to be the favourite urban transportation for the residents from all walks of life, in particular the folks at the grassroots level, due to its high frequency, its low cost and its easiness to leap on and jump off board, while the reincarnated tram (modern rubber tyred tram) is more like to be designed for a planned VIP trip. It gains speed, gains efficiency, gains order, gains stability, but the lively dynamism, the social inclusion and the human touch seem to be somewhat missing. Can we regain those lost qualities?

At last please compare the old & new tram system routes on a map.
Old September 7th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #1996
CNGL
Leudimin

You are so repetitive, that I overtaken you to give the answers.

Can't see the pic at #1009.
Old September 8th, 2011, 10:25 AM   #1997
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
5) Which stations have interchange facility with suburban rail network on Shanghai metro?
5) There are no suburban trains in Shanghai. The closest thing will be line 22 and line 16.
Which railway lines exist around Shanghai?

Certainly the old slow speed railway Shanghai-Nanjing and Shanghai-Hangzhou. Are there any others?

Does the old Shanghai-Nanjing slow speed railway have any small stations? And do any suburban trains serve these? I know that there are long distance number trains and T and Z trains on it, but any suburban trains? Same questions about the old Shanghai-Hangzhou railway, and any others that may exist.

The Shanghai-Nanjing high speed railway has many small stations. Something like 21 stations in 301 km. In Shanghai, there are stations Anting North and Nanxiang North. Wikipedia contains contradicting information as to whether Huaqiao Station is actually in Shanghai or Suzhou.

Where is Huaqiao Station, then?

How many trains stop in Anting North station?

Do any Shanghai metro lines now working or under construction go to Anting North station for interchange?

On Shanghai-Hangzhou high speed railway, about 200 km, there are 7 intermediate stations, of which in Shanghai are Songjiang South and Jinshan North. How many trains stop there, and are they connected to metro?

In which month this year shall Line 22 open for service? And does it connect to Jinshan North railway station?

It is supposed to have maximum speed 160 km/h. Shall all trains on line 22 stop in all stops, or shall line 22 mix express and stopping trains? If so, shall the trip time 30 minutes apply to express trains, or be inclusive of all station stops (7 intermediate stations)?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #1998
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Which railway lines exist around Shanghai?

Certainly the old slow speed railway Shanghai-Nanjing and Shanghai-Hangzhou. Are there any others?

Does the old Shanghai-Nanjing slow speed railway have any small stations? And do any suburban trains serve these? I know that there are long distance number trains and T and Z trains on it, but any suburban trains? Same questions about the old Shanghai-Hangzhou railway, and any others that may exist.
Shanghai - Nanjing and Shanghai (South) - Hangzhou are the only classical mainline railways in Shanghai. There is also the Shanghai South - Luchaogang line, a branch off the Shanghai - Hangzhou that has a few passenger services. All other railway lines are freight only.

Quote:
The Shanghai-Nanjing high speed railway has many small stations. Something like 21 stations in 301 km. In Shanghai, there are stations Anting North and Nanxiang North. Wikipedia contains contradicting information as to whether Huaqiao Station is actually in Shanghai or Suzhou.

Where is Huaqiao Station, then?

How many trains stop in Anting North station?

Do any Shanghai metro lines now working or under construction go to Anting North station for interchange?
Huaqiao is a town between Anting and Kunshan, administratively in the city of Suzhou. Anting North is only served by about a dozen trains per day in each direction, and there are no plans to connect it with any metro lines.

Quote:
On Shanghai-Hangzhou high speed railway, about 200 km, there are 7 intermediate stations, of which in Shanghai are Songjiang South and Jinshan North. How many trains stop there, and are they connected to metro?

In which month this year shall Line 22 open for service? And does it connect to Jinshan North railway station?

It is supposed to have maximum speed 160 km/h. Shall all trains on line 22 stop in all stops, or shall line 22 mix express and stopping trains? If so, shall the trip time 30 minutes apply to express trains, or be inclusive of all station stops (7 intermediate stations)?
The levels of service for Songjiang South and Jinshan North are still well short of turn-up-and-go, with I think Songjiang South having more services than Jinshan North.

Construction of Line 22 is nowhere near complete and the prospect of it opening by the end of this year is slim. Yes there will be direct trains between Jinshan and Shanghai South, as well as stopping services. The 30-minute journey time is likely for the direct journeys. Jinshan North Station is actually between the Town of Fengjing and Zhujing, nowhere near Jinshan Town, so Line 22 won't go there.
Old September 9th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #1999
mhmhashem
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

i think there is errror in the path
mhmhashem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #2000
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

About line 22:
-Anybody know what kind of rolling stock they will be using on this line?
-Any idea on what the fare between Shanghai South and Jinshan will be?
-How will interchanges between this line and line 1 be handled at Shanghai South and Xinzhuang?
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram