daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 11th, 2012, 04:55 AM   #2081
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101379

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
I thought it was cheaper to buy the Shanghai Public Transportation Card. I was there for 6 days back in July, and I'm not too sure if the staff were being nice or anything, but they'd mysteriously add 10 Yuan to it for a total of 30 Yuan despite the fact that I only gave 20 Yuan.
Well, I've read there is a discount for some sums but I don't remember. Anyqay, SPT card is not so cheap as it is not unlimited. 2 days ago I did over 10 rides and it would have cost much more than 18 yuan even if I had used a SPTC.

Now, some pictures of mine. Many more will come bit by bit.

Hongqiao Railway station, right under the station and near the airport
. Line 10. Unfortunately, I didn't know about the rolling stock.

Turnstiles.

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/night-c...m/view/466472/

A special turnstile for disabled people. By the way, almost every station is aquipped with one or two turnstiles that allow to use NFC technology that is to say you can use your cellphone to enter. Just like in Japan.

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/night-c...m/view/466473/

There are different types of turnstiles throughout the whole system, some feature black and white screens.

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/night-c...m/view/466474/

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/night-c...m/view/466475/

Turnstiles for getting out:

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/night-c...m/view/466476/

Two lines come to the railway station and airport. Both are underground.:

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/night-c...m/view/466477/

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/night-c...m/view/466478/

To be continued.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

Highcliff, forumaniac, Zaz965 liked this post
_Night City Dream_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:40 AM   #2082
_Night City Dream_

Is there any information on the rolling stock on each line? There are different manufacturers and different models, I noticed at least Bobmbardier, Siemens and Alstom.

Old January 14th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #2083
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

^I don't know the names of the models, but I can at least tell you the following:
Line 1 - Siemens (old), Alstom (new), all 8 car trains
Line 2 - Siemens (old), Alstom (new), all 8 car trains (except for Guanglan Road - Pudong Airport, which uses 4 car Alstom trains of the same type as the 8 car trains on the rest of the line)
Line 3 - Alstom, all 6 car trains
Line 4 - Siemens, all 6 car trains
Line 5 - Alstom, all 4 car trains (no walk through, narrow)
Line 6 - Alstom, all 4 car trains (walk through, narrow)
Line 7 - Bombardier, all 6 car trains
Line 8 - Alstom, all 6 car trains (narrow)
Line 9 - Bombardier, all 6 car trains
Line 10 - Alstom, all 6 car trains
Line 11 - Siemens, 6 car trains (?) - Not sure of this, as I have never taken Line 11
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #2084
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1203

Are the trains in these lines operating at their maximum length or some of these lines have scope of further lengthening the trains.
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #2085
Geography

Likes (Received): 104

What are the qualitative differences between different manufacturers' train cars?
Geography no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #2086
_Night City Dream_

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
^I don't know the names of the models, but I can at least tell you the following:
Line 1 - Siemens (old), Alstom (new), all 8 car trains
Line 2 - Siemens (old), Alstom (new), all 8 car trains (except for Guanglan Road - Pudong Airport, which uses 4 car Alstom trains of the same type as the 8 car trains on the rest of the line)
Line 3 - Alstom, all 6 car trains
Line 4 - Siemens, all 6 car trains
Line 5 - Alstom, all 4 car trains (no walk through, narrow)
Line 6 - Alstom, all 4 car trains (walk through, narrow)
Line 7 - Bombardier, all 6 car trains
Line 8 - Alstom, all 6 car trains (narrow)
Line 9 - Bombardier, all 6 car trains
Line 10 - Alstom, all 6 car trains
Line 11 - Siemens, 6 car trains (?) - Not sure of this, as I have never taken Line 11
Thanks anyway but I've got some questions.
On line 1 in 2006 there were also "new" trains, this time I didn't see them at all. They looked more like modern German trains, not Alstom... I will upload a photo to show. Now, there are new Alstom cars, as you said. But those trains I'm talking about were different from all other trains throughout the system.

On line 3 Alstom trains have a special and unique front part.

On lines 6 and 8 there are two types of Alstom trains, they have much in common except some details inside and outside.

And Alstom trains on line 1 and 2 are the same but very different from those on line 6 and 8.

Alstom trains on line 10 are different from the other Alstom trains in Shanghai.

Old January 14th, 2012, 11:18 PM   #2087
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
Thanks anyway but I've got some questions.
On line 1 in 2006 there were also "new" trains, this time I didn't see them at all. They looked more like modern German trains, not Alstom... I will upload a photo to show. Now, there are new Alstom cars, as you said. But those trains I'm talking about were different from all other trains throughout the system.

On line 3 Alstom trains have a special and unique front part.

On lines 6 and 8 there are two types of Alstom trains, they have much in common except some details inside and outside.

And Alstom trains on line 1 and 2 are the same but very different from those on line 6 and 8.

Alstom trains on line 10 are different from the other Alstom trains in Shanghai.
As The Chemist explained, Lines 5, 6 and 8 have a narrow loading gauge (same track gauge though) so use narrower trains (size C in China). The rest of the network (so far anyway) use standard width trains (size A in China). The Alstoms on Lines 1, 2, 3 and 10 are essentially the same. Line 3's stock appears to have a different front end but that's main due to the different (but rather smart IMO) livery, and also the absence of an emergency door.

The 'new' train you saw on Line 1 which were not the Alstoms were most probably the Bombardier trains which were subsequently cascaded onto Line 9.
Old January 15th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #2088
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
The 'new' train you saw on Line 1 which were not the Alstoms were most probably the Bombardier trains which were subsequently cascaded onto Line 9.
Yep, that's what they were. I visited Shanghai on vacation in 2005 and they were running the old style Bombardier trains on Line 1 at that stage too. Those have now all been moved to Line 9.

As for length, all lines are operating at their maximum length except for the eastern section of Line 2 (Guanglan Road - Pudong Airport), which has currently been completed for 4-car platforms, but has provision (roughed in stations, etc) to be extended to 8 car platforms when the demand requires it.

Line 3 stock also looks different from 1, 2, and 10 due to the mirrored coating on the windows, necessary to keep the trains cool inside in the summer as the whole line is above ground.
Old January 15th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #2089
_Night City Dream_

But on line 9 I didnt't see this time old trains. To me, Bombardier trains on line 9 look even more to date than Alstom trains on M8.

Old January 15th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #2090
Abhishek901

Lines 1 and 2 have capacity for 8 car trains but subsequent lines have capacity for 6 car trains. Is it because they are using better signalling system in new lines through which one can increase capacity by increasing frequency to very high level or is it that they felt that 8 car capacity is more than the requirement.
Old January 15th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #2091
NCT
Not Cwite There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek901 View Post
Lines 1 and 2 have capacity for 8 car trains but subsequent lines have capacity for 6 car trains. Is it because they are using better signalling system in new lines through which one can increase capacity by increasing frequency to very high level or is it that they felt that 8 car capacity is more than the requirement.
Mainly the latter. I guess it's true to an extent that Lines 1 and 2 serve the most densely populated as well as the most central areas, and that other lines are unlikely to experience the levels of loadings those two do.
Old January 16th, 2012, 04:30 AM   #2092
_Night City Dream_

Quote:
Frequency in Shanghai metro even in rush hours is just awful. And I guess, the commercial speed is rather low as a train spends too much time at stations.

Old January 16th, 2012, 08:30 AM   #2093
peacedot

Likes (Received): 1

Look forward to having some express lines in Shanghai Subway. Maybe that's NYC is the only 7/24 in the world?
Old January 16th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #2094
Abhishek901

Quote:
Frequency in Shanghai metro even in rush hours is just awful. And I guess, the commercial speed is rather low as a train spends too much time at stations.
Is that because of lack of trains, or because of old signalling system which does not allow greater frequencies.
Old January 16th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #2095
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacedot View Post
Look forward to having some express lines in Shanghai Subway.
Shall line 22 be an express line?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #2096
_Night City Dream_

Quote:
Is that because of lack of trains, or because of old signalling system which does not allow greater frequencies.
I don't think so. Trains spend too much time after stop and before opening the doors, some 15 seconds. Then, after closing doors it may pass 20 - 30 seconds before it sets off. I didn't understand at first why it is so slowly, then I noticed that the driver goes out of the cabin at every station. He operates the doors of the station as well. After closing both doors, he shows 4 sides with his arm and only after that gets in the cabin. So, I guess, the average speed in Shanghai metro is relatively LOW.

The way from Hongqiao railway station to Dapuqiao took some 45 - 50 minutes which is more that the way from Hangzhou to Shanghai-Hongqiao on CRH.

Old January 16th, 2012, 11:00 PM   #2097
NCT
Not Cwite There

There had been some nasty accidents on the line 2 which is the line without the platform screen doors, involving passengers being caught between the moving train and the platform barriers. These accidents made Shanghai Metro go into an 'elf and safety overdrive that includes those ridiculous arm movements the drivers now have to do.

Frequencies are notoriously poor. It's partly due to lack of trains, but signalling isn't that good either - ~ 3 trains every 10 minutes on Lines 1 and 2 is about the maximum that can be achieved.
Old January 17th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #2098
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Yeah I think the old signaling and the lack of screen door is a problem, I remembered during the World Expo in peak hours Line 7 was able to get trains to the expo park every 90 seconds. After all line 2 is 12 years old and is due to an upgrade.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #2099
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Quote:
Hyperbole much? Yes, the frequency could be better, especially on Lines 1 and 2, but it's not 'awful' by any stretch of the imagination. I've ridden on most lines at rush hour, and the frequencies that are currently used on the lines with wide stock are pretty much capable of handling the load (with the exception of the aforementioned Lines 1 and 2). Lines 6 and 8 definitely need higher frequencies, though, due to their narrow stock.

As far as dwell times at stations, it happens rather infrequently that the train sits at a station for a while, but it's pretty rare in my experience. Honestly, I've never found the Shanghai Metro to be any worse in service than say, the London Underground, in terms of journey times and frequencies.
Old January 17th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #2100
_Night City Dream_

Well, I don't compare it to London, it's ridiculous. London Tube is not convenient, or comfortable at all compared to Shanghai metro.

However, I compare dwell tim at stations in Shanghai with the same parameters in Moscow or Paris. In Paris, some lines are equipped with screen door platforms, but trains do not stay for so long.

By reducing this along with frequency, Shanghai metro can easily increase its capacity without need to build new lines.

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram