daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 17th, 2012, 01:08 AM   #2121
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

It wasn't so much that they underestimated patronage on Line 8. At the time China had no capability to build its own type-A stock, and there was at least a 3-year wait with any foreign manufacturer. Shanghai wanted to build its own type-A trains but central government (National Development and Reform Commission to be specific) wouldn't allow because there were already plans for China South and China North to import the technology and assembly lines of type-A stock. Shanghai had to make do with importing technology for type-C stock and hoping to adapt it to have type-A stock capability. They had to build about 200 trains for it to be worthwhile so a decision was made to let Line 8 use type-C stock. Word on the grapevine is that all Line 8 tunnels and stations were actually built to accommodate type-A trains.

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #2122
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

But both Line 1 and 2 were using A trains, so why can't Line 8 get the train at that time? Isn't the 1970's train on Beijing Metro actually has A train width?
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #2123
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

(Deleted message - I found an answer to my question.)
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #2124
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

Suzhou Creek cruises to make return
Shanghai Daily
Apr 18, 2012

SHANGHAI will restore Suzhou Creek cruises by April 28, offering views of historic and modern buildings on both sides of the river, officials said yesterday, after the city halted the trips for a year due to dredge work.

The new cruise route will be extended to 19 kilometers from the former 10 kilometers - from the Danba Road Dock to the Waibaidu Bridge in Huangpu District, said the cruise company. The route, crossing six Shanghai districts, will last about 90 minutes.

"We are building the Oriental Seine here," said Chen Xiuping, director of the city maritime administration office, which will supervise the operation.

Chen said the waterway is deeper and cleaner after the year-long dredging that removed silt.

More than 10 new docks will be built for passengers to get off to visit buildings on both sides of the river, said the maritime authority.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Highcliff liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #2125
NCT
Not Cwite There

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
But both Line 1 and 2 were using A trains, so why can't Line 8 get the train at that time? Isn't the 1970's train on Beijing Metro actually has A train width?
The first batches of trains for Lines 1 and 2 were imports with orders placed ages ago. There was one further order for Line 1 that was refused by central government, and it was only after an accident at People Square due to overcrowding did they divert a Guangzhou order to Shanghai (the next Shanghai order went to Guangzhou obviously).
Old April 19th, 2012, 03:51 AM   #2126
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Fine Metro litterbugs, say readers in poll
Shanghai Daily
2012-3-5

HEFTY fines for litterbugs and a ban on eating in subway carriages are the best ways to tackle the growing litter problem on Metro trains, according to a Shanghai Daily survey.

Some 45 percent of more than 500 respondents in the online polls supported the idea of heavy fines for passengers who drop litter in subway trains.

And another 39 percent agreed with the proposition that eating should be banned on trains.

The Shanghai Metro operator reports that staff collect, on average, 100 kilograms of trash from trains every day - a figure that is rising.

The city did include a "no eating" proposal in its 2009 Metro regulation but this was never adopted due to difficulties with implementation.

However, the growing volume of trash has brought the issue to the fore once more.

According to the 2009 Metro regulation, eating and drinking is banned on trains and in stations. But it does not say how - or indeed if - commuters would be fined if caught.

As the regulation was never adopted effectively, snacking commuters are a familiar sight on trains - especially during morning rush hour.

"It's terrible when people eat breakfast next to you on the train," said Samuel Wen, a regular Metro commuter.

"The smell makes me feel uncomfortable and I'm always scared they might drop food or spill a drink on me, as the trains are far too crowded."

The Metro operator said there is no plan to implement a ban on eating on trains.

Meanwhile, although city laws state that litterbugs can be fined up to 200 yuan (US$32), very few have had to pay a penalty.

Local public sanitation authorities admitted they have fined virtually no one, saying it is a complicated process.

Audio or video evidence and formal fine bills are required, officials said.

But the growing quantity of litter has seen some commuters take their own initiative, uploading photographs of Metro litterbugs on to the Internet in the hope that public condemnation will shame them into changing their ways.

Other possible deterrents found little favour with survey respondents. Only 10 percent thought hiring more cleaners would improve the situation.

And only 6 percent called for extra surveillance cameras.
Shanghai metro needs to get some expert advice from Hong Kong or especially from Singapore on how to deal with litterbugs. Seriously how hard is it to fine people, many people need jobs in China anyways just hire more staff. The fines can be used to pay for their salaries,and in China theres cameras everywhere evidences are easily obtainable. Heavy fine is the only way to prevent litter bugs. Get their ID card, address and a bill, failure to pay fine will get you summoned to court + further fine and one week jail, lets see if they'll learn their lesson. If Shanghai really wants to do something they could of, they're just slacking off when it comes to sanitary isssues.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #2127
hmmwv

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
The first batches of trains for Lines 1 and 2 were imports with orders placed ages ago. There was one further order for Line 1 that was refused by central government, and it was only after an accident at People Square due to overcrowding did they divert a Guangzhou order to Shanghai (the next Shanghai order went to Guangzhou obviously).
I see, so now the A train supply has been resolved, theoretically Line 8 can upgrade to A train if they want, right? Line 7 runs pretty well with CNR Changchun Bombardier's A train.
Old April 19th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #2128
NCT
Not Cwite There

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
I see, so now the A train supply has been resolved, theoretically Line 8 can upgrade to A train if they want, right? Line 7 runs pretty well with CNR Changchun Bombardier's A train.
If they decided the convert Line 8 then all the platforms need to be knocked back, which requires the whole line to be shut for a month or two. But yes theoretically I think it can be done.
Old April 21st, 2012, 12:17 AM   #2129
hmmwv

IIRC Line 8 has curtain doors too so that's gonna be a rather costly and long shutdown, they can probably do it station by station. Use the night down time to remove the doors first, then shut down one station during each weekend and get it knocked back and some sort of temporary extension installed to fill the gap. Once all stations are done remove the extension and roll the train. After service is resumed repeat the process of installing the curtain doors overnight.
Old April 28th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #2130
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1138

Shanghai’s subway system is growing continually year by year. The construction rate is very satisfactory. Although the first line opened in 1995, in 2011 there are 11 lines, and within this short 16 years they have overtaken London’s subway (underground), and now is the mostly expanded metro system of the world. I hope, if they continue the trend, Beijing’s metro network will be largest in the world after decades, As an Asian, and a neighbour of China, I’m quite proud that our neighbour is building metro very very fast.

Now we are expecting for opening of line 12, 13, 14, 16 & 22, which is planned to open before 31/12/20, and the extensions of line 5, 8, 9, & 11. There are some questions relating this –

1) How are constructions going on line 12, 13, 14, 16 & 22 & extensions of line 5, 8, 9, & 11? Has they started? Please post some photos.
2) Why metro company is not planning opening new line 15, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21 before, but they are jumping for opening line 16 & 22? Why this long jump?

Note: The questions I wrote here were never asked before. If an urban-rail fan will do it, I’ll not repeat.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #2131
napkcirtap

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
1) How are constructions going on line 12, 13, 14, 16 & 22 & extensions of line 5, 8, 9, & 11? Has they started? Please post some photos.
2) Why metro company is not planning opening new line 15, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21 before, but they are jumping for opening line 16 & 22? Why this long jump?

Note: The questions I wrote here were never asked before. If an urban-rail fan will do it, I’ll not repeat.
construction speeds have drastically slowed after the 2010 EXPO. according to official news sites, line 16(11South) will start running in mid 2013, and construction on lines 9 (Southern extension), 12 and 13 will start in 2014.
napkcirtap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #2132
NCT
Not Cwite There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
Now we are expecting for opening of line 12, 13, 14, 16 & 22, which is planned to open before 31/12/20, and the extensions of line 5, 8, 9, & 11. There are some questions relating this –

1) Construction is well underway for Lines 12, 13, 16 and 22 and extention of Line 11 - expect them to open within the next couple of years or so. I'm not entirely sure about the progress of the other extensions without doing some digging. Line 14 is in the long term plan, and construction might start in 2014.

2) Priorities change over time due to local geography, and line numbers don't always change in response to opening order. That said, lines 16 and 17 are what used to be the 21 and 20 - the numbers were swapped becasue the old 16 and 17 were in the very-long-term plan. Lines 15 to 18 are pretty much set in stone.
Old April 28th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #2133
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
As an Asian, and a neighbour of China, I’m quite proud that our neighbour is building metro very very fast
This shit again...

As a non-Asian, and also living on the same planet as China, I'm quite proud that our neighbor is building metro very very fast, even though I did nothing to be proud of.

Pride comes from some kind of achievement. I think you mean you are amazed or in awe of their great achievement.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:02 PM   #2134
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

More trains on Line 8
Shanghai Daily
2012-5-3

CITY traffic authorities said yesterday that six more subway trains will be added to Metro Line 8 to raise its capacity by the end of this year.

The operator had already put into use three new trains along Line 8 by the end of last month. However, the operator fears that "the rise in capacity can hardly meet the increasing passenger volume."

Also, interval times between trains will be shortened with the introduction of the new trains during rush hours, the operator said.

Passenger restriction measures will continue at some crowded Metro stations, however.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Highcliff liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:12 PM   #2135
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
More trains on Line 8
Shanghai Daily
2012-5-3

CITY traffic authorities said yesterday that six more subway trains will be added to Metro Line 8 to raise its capacity by the end of this year.

The operator had already put into use three new trains along Line 8 by the end of last month. However, the operator fears that "the rise in capacity can hardly meet the increasing passenger volume."

Also, interval times between trains will be shortened with the introduction of the new trains during rush hours, the operator said.

Passenger restriction measures will continue at some crowded Metro stations, however.
Perhaps its time to dig parallel tunnels for express services?
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #2136
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888 View Post
Perhaps its time to dig parallel tunnels for express services?
Sounds like a good idea. I have faith this can be done quickly because it's China.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #2137
napkcirtap

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Sounds like a good idea. I have faith this can be done quickly because it's China.
you should also have faith since its china that no officials cares about sardine commutes
napkcirtap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 04:03 AM   #2138
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1211

Quote:
Originally Posted by napkcirtap View Post
you should also have faith since its china that no officials cares about sardine commutes
And you should know that there has never been any profitable/feasible urban/metro "express service" in the history of the world!

People are free to live and/or setup shop in Ningbo?
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:44 AM   #2139
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5731

I guess it was reported recently that Line 22 will begin testing next month...

http://www.echinacities.com/shanghai...s-in-june.html
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #2140
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyridgeline View Post
And you should know that there has never been any profitable/feasible urban/metro "express service" in the history of the world!

People are free to live and/or setup shop in Ningbo?
profitable no

feasible... ever heard of the 2, 3, A, B, D, E, F, Q, 4, 5 <7>, <6> trains in NY? imagine shutting those down all express service and only allowing local service for a week. the city would be insufferable (though still functional)

its time shanghai officials seriously start contemplating parallel tracks for line 8 and line 6 (which is supposedly just as bad if not worse than line 8). it could possibly run like the 4, 5, 6 in the upper east side where you have local trains making all stops on the upper level while express trains only making certain stops on the lower level.
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram