daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 8th, 2012, 07:47 AM   #2141
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
I guess it was reported recently that Line 22 will begin testing next month...

http://www.echinacities.com/shanghai...s-in-june.html
I can believe it. I was recently out on my bike in Jinshan district and saw the line - it looks just about ready to go. They were working on finishing touches on the station I saw, but the tracks and catenary look complete.

Definitely looks much more like a commuter line than a Metro line, though.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #2142
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1140

I heard some plans about extension of the tram network. The next phase of the project is the Zhangjiang tram division multiple-phase construction, a project in the east Greenfield Road, from Zu Chong Zhi Road (Shanghai Metro Line 2 Zhangjiang Hi-tech station), west to Osmanthus Road Autumn Road, which covers a distance of about 10 km, with a total of 15 stops, 1 depot. It will be followed by an extension in the direction of Tang Zhen-Qing. Could anybody post a map, about the extension, and some more details?

Is there any official website of Shanghai’s new rubber tired tram (translohr)?
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 05:47 PM   #2143
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1140

Could anyone say which areas are now served by metro, served by tram before their closure in 1970?
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 05:10 AM   #2144
everywhere
The Explorer

Likes (Received): 805

Quote:
THE city's first railway-turned subway, Metro Line 22, will get its first test runs by the end of this month.

Fares are expected to be set at 7-10 yuan (US$1.1-1.6), based on prices of current bus services in the area. Fare details and timetables are yet to be disclosed, officials said, but the line is expected to go into public use in October.

The subway, linking downtown to suburban Jinshan District in the south, will have two services - non-stop and one with stations. It will be the first Metro line in Jinshan and is expected to carry 5,000 passengers a day into initial service.

Line 22, also known as the Jinshan Railway Line, stretches from Shanghai South Railway Station to Jinshan New Town at the city's south end.

The non-stop model will take half an hour along the route while the slower one will have nine stops and take about 45 minutes. The current bus lines take more than an hour to reach downtown from Jinshan.
http://www.shanghaidaily.com/nsp/Met...2Bfirst%2Btry/

Quote:
THE first train for Metro Line 13, which is still under construction, arrived today from its manufacturing plant in Nanjing, capital of neighboring Jiangsu Province.

The six-car train will be used on the line after testing, said the Shanghai Metro operator.

Part of Metro Line 13 will undergo test runs by the end of this year. This section has seven stops, from Huajiang Road Station in northwest Jiading District to Jinshajiang Road Station in Putuo District. Test runs may start as early as October.

Passengers can transfer to Line 3 and Line 4 at Jinshajiang Road Station, said Shanghai Shentong Metro Group.

The first phase of Metro Line 13 will have 14 stations on a 16-kilometer route from Jiading to West Nanjing Road Station downtown where it connects with Metro Line 2.
http://www.shanghaidaily.com/nsp/Met...o%2BLine%2B13/

Highcliff liked this post
everywhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 05:41 AM   #2145
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

as far as I know, line 22, line 16, line 13 and line 11 phase II will open this year.

big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:19 AM   #2146
everywhere
The Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
as far as I know, line 22, line 16, line 13 and line 11 phase II will open this year.
By Q3 or Q4 of 2012?

Old June 21st, 2012, 07:27 AM   #2147
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
Isn't at least part of Line 12 supposed to open this year as well? Or has work on that line gone more slowly than originally planned?
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #2148
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by everywhere View Post
By Q3 or Q4 of 2012?
October, when line 22 shall open, is in Q4.

How about the other lines - 11, 13 and 16?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #2149
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 22

Anyone got any pictures of the line or the rollingstock that maybe used on this line?
Old June 27th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #2150
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

Even though the line is supposed to open tomorrow, details about rolling stock and ticketing are still clear as mud.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 01:47 PM   #2151
everywhere
The Explorer

Quote:
A new entrance will soon open at Yili Road Station along Line 10 to accommodate an expected rise in commuters, the Metro operator said today.

The entrance will include an underground passage linking roads in the busy Hongqiao area, Metro officials said.

The station presently has only two entrances.

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article...358&type=Metro

Old July 11th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #2152
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18132

Lujiazui shuttle launched to help with lack of taxis
Shanghai Daily
Jul 11, 2012

SHANGHAI'S Lujiazui area has launched a free shuttle bus to ease the difficulty of getting a cab in the financial district.

The bus runs between the Super Brand Mall and the Shanghai East Hospital from 7:30pm to 10:30pm every day.

The traffic authorities will monitor the new bus route for one month to decide whether to keep it.

If they do, the bus fare will be only 1 yuan (16 US cents).

However, the bus line launched over the weekend received a cold response from many, especially those who live in the Puxi area and are unwilling to take a detour via bus so they can call a taxi.

White-collar workers also complained the shuttles stop operating too early for them.

"I usually miss the deadline of the buses when I work overtime," said Shu Wen, a bank clerk working in the area.

Wang Weibo, an official with the Pudong New Area Construction and Transportation Commission, said "lack of residential communities in the financial zone causes the shortage of taxis running into the area after office hours."

After 8pm, Lujiazui sees few people coming in while lots of people start to leave.

It gets worse after 10pm when the Super Brand Mall closes.

"Most cab drivers are not willing to come to the area if they have no passengers ordering them to do so," Wang said.

Authorities are inviting the public to share ideas.

Participants with innovative ideas will be awarded 100 yuan to 5,000 yuan.

Locals are invited to submit their proposals to [email protected] by July 25.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #2153
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101379

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
I see, so now the A train supply has been resolved, theoretically Line 8 can upgrade to A train if they want, right? Line 7 runs pretty well with CNR Changchun Bombardier's A train.
Best trains in my opinion in Shanghai metro. The quietest and the smoothest.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

Highcliff, forumaniac, Zaz965 liked this post
_Night City Dream_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 05:34 AM   #2154
everywhere
The Explorer

First rails laid for Line 16
(Shanghai Daily, July 14)

Quote:
The construction of Shanghai Metro Line 16 reached a new milestone yesterday as workers began laying rails featuring high-speed train technology.

The 59-kilometer line will link Longyang Road Station in the Pudong New Area to the Lingang New City on the southern coast of Pudong. Line 16 will connect with lines 2 and 7 at Longyang Road Station and Line 11 at Luoshan Road Station, according to Metro authorities.

The first two rails were laid yesterday morning at Zhoupu East Station. The builder of Line 16 said it will adopt many advanced technologies that have been used on the country's high-speed train routes.
more: http://www.shanghaidaily.com/nsp/Met...r%2BLine%2B16/

Old July 15th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #2155
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

I have a question for those who have some knowledge of rail transit. This is not just about Shanghai (although certainly applies to it) but other metro systems in Chinese cities too (at least Shenzhen and Guangzhou where I was riding metro).

I have noticed that the delay between the metro train stopping and opening the doors is quite long (perhaps about 5 seconds?). Also the delay between doors closing and train starting to move is similar in length (again another 5 seconds or so). Respective delays between the movement of train and door openings/closures in other cities that have fairly young systems (e.g. Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong) are much shorter. Why is that? Are there some technological shortcomings or are they doing that on purpose? Those few seconds may not seem very long but it all adds up.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #2156
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I have a question for those who have some knowledge of rail transit. This is not just about Shanghai (although certainly applies to it) but other metro systems in Chinese cities too (at least Shenzhen and Guangzhou where I was riding metro).

I have noticed that the delay between the metro train stopping and opening the doors is quite long (perhaps about 5 seconds?). Also the delay between doors closing and train starting to move is similar in length (again another 5 seconds or so). Respective delays between the movement of train and door openings/closures in other cities that have fairly young systems (e.g. Singapore, Bangkok, Hong Kong) are much shorter. Why is that? Are there some technological shortcomings or are they doing that on purpose? Those few seconds may not seem very long but it all adds up.
I can only speak for Shanghai: they don't seem to use an automated door opening/closing process.

If you notice, there's usually someone who walks around the platform (and there are CCTVs along the length of it) and they will watch and once the flow has stemmed a little, they'll signal for them to close the doors.

Usually, there is a specific amount of time that they'll stop anyways so you won't normally notice it. But there have been times when i was on a car for about 1 minute with the doors open

*this is just what I've noticed. I'm not sure...just offering my idea.
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #2157
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I can only speak for Shanghai: they don't seem to use an automated door opening/closing process.

If you notice, there's usually someone who walks around the platform (and there are CCTVs along the length of it) and they will watch and once the flow has stemmed a little, they'll signal for them to close the doors.

Usually, there is a specific amount of time that they'll stop anyways so you won't normally notice it. But there have been times when i was on a car for about 1 minute with the doors open

*this is just what I've noticed. I'm not sure...just offering my idea.
I understand that. Many systems are not automated. For instance, most of London underground hasn't automated operation (Victoria, Central and Jubilee lines have it). But that has nothing to do with how fast the doors open/close after/before the train moving. In fact I have noticed that if the train operator is experienced and confident they manage to open doors even a very short time before the train has stopped i.e. the entire process is very much "just in time" even on the old lines which haven't seen upgrading for decades (such as District/Circle). In Singapore where the entire system is automated the delay of train movement vs. door operations is also very short compared to Shanghai (Shenzhen, Guangzhou). So there must be some other reason than automation. If they fix this it could actually make the journeys a little bit faster which does matter in a city of this size and in a system transporting 6+ million passengers a day.
Old July 15th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #2158
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

There have been some high profile nasty accidents on Line 2 (the line without PSDs) which prompted the authority to over-react with OTT 'elf n safety.
Old July 15th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #2159
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
There have been some high profile nasty accidents on Line 2 (the line without PSDs) which prompted the authority to over-react with OTT 'elf n safety.
So is it entirely an H&S issue and not a technological one?
Old July 15th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #2160
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I understand that. Many systems are not automated. For instance, most of London underground hasn't automated operation (Victoria, Central and Jubilee lines have it). But that has nothing to do with how fast the doors open/close after/before the train moving. In fact I have noticed that if the train operator is experienced and confident they manage to open doors even a very short time before the train has stopped i.e. the entire process is very much "just in time" even on the old lines which haven't seen upgrading for decades (such as District/Circle). In Singapore where the entire system is automated the delay of train movement vs. door operations is also very short compared to Shanghai (Shenzhen, Guangzhou). So there must be some other reason than automation. If they fix this it could actually make the journeys a little bit faster which does matter in a city of this size and in a system transporting 6+ million passengers a day.
OH! I didn't understand that he meant the actual opening of the doors was slow. I thought he meant there was just a delay in executing it (i.e. the operator was slow). There are some lines where the doors open extremely quickly (line 11 - often before the recording is even finished). I think it's because there are several different train-sets in use by the metro.
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram