daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 1st, 2013, 11:13 PM   #2481
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
Good, I think that money would be better spent elsewhere. Anyways subway openings are not even special anymore in China, it literally happens at least once every year. Especially the heavy weight systems like Shanghai or Beijing.
No kidding, bosses will get bored attending all those opening ceremonies too.

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:14 AM   #2482
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

I was referring more to information. There was literally no official press release prior to these lines opening and posters only started appearing on lamp posts outside stations 2 days before opening.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 03:35 AM   #2483
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
I was referring more to information. There was literally no official press release prior to these lines opening and posters only started appearing on lamp posts outside stations 2 days before opening.
Maybe because the line already technically opened during the 2010 EXPO?
Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:18 AM   #2484
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Line 13 opening photos

by ditie9haoxian
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:13 PM   #2485
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Maybe because the line already technically opened during the 2010 EXPO?
That was an entirely different section the other side of town.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:34 PM   #2486
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

How is the CRH metro line 22 doing? I hope to see a full length video posted on Youtube soon.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:15 AM   #2487
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
Another 100km+ will be opened in 2013 according to Wikipedia.
Shanghai's metro length will surpass Beijing's again by the end of 2013. But Beijing will take the lead on and after year 2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post

2012:

Line 9 Phase III South (end of year)
Line 13 Phase I West (end of year)
Line 22 - Jinshan Rail (already opened)

2013:

Line 11 Phase II (mid year)
Line 11 Huaqiao section (2nd half)
Line 12 East (end of year)
Line 16 Partial (end of year)
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #2488
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101351

Some impressions on line 13 as I have ridden it today. Now, only line 11 is the line I haven't been yet.

Line 13 starts now where line 3 and 4 go. The transfer corridor is quite fresh and the walls feature bamboo-like style.

Now, the trains is the only thing I didn't like about the line. They are NOISY, very noisy, both inside and outside just like nasty Russian Russich trains.

Their front part is nice but still worse than Bombardier Movia's, inside thy look both like Alstom Metropolis ( ) and New Siemens ( ) trains like those on line 4, for example. But much much nosier.

Headways were 10 minutes. Trains have seats inside painted pale orange. Very strange considering that normally in Shanghai seats' colour is the official colour of the line.

All stations boast different colour scheme. 2 stations were not opened yet, the train stopped at one then carried on. Took photos of almost all stations. When I come back to Russia, I'll upload all the photos on Yandex and share it here.

When I got off at the terminus, I decided to go out. There was a very low-rise district, seemed like a town. Nearby there was a parking lot for bicycles and motos. Strange but I thought many bikers worked there as taxis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
Shanghai's metro length will surpass Beijing's again by the end of 2013. But Beijing will take the lead on and after year 2014.
Shanghai remains now the longest metro, being 446 km while Beijing is 445 Airport express line included.

What about 2020? I thought Shanghai would reach incredible 970 km, and what about Beijing?

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

forumaniac, Zaz965 liked this post
_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #2489
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
...What about 2020? I thought Shanghai would reach incredible 970 km, and what about Beijing?
Beijing is supposed to reach the incredible length of 1,050km by 2020.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:42 PM   #2490
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
That was an entirely different section the other side of town.
It was an initial part of the line was it not?
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #2491
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post

Beijing then? Guangzhou? Other Cities?
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:22 AM   #2492
_Night City Dream_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
This is actually strange. Shanghai ahold have a more developed metro system since it is much taller, much denser and its territory is larger than that of Beijing.

Old January 8th, 2013, 06:17 AM   #2493
phoenixboi08

Quote:

This is actually strange. Shanghai ahold have a more developed metro system since it is much taller, much denser and its territory is larger than that of Beijing.
Beijing has a larger continuous urban area, and is also a mess as far as mass transit goes.
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #2494
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
The built up parts of Shanghai are quite a bit smaller than the built up parts of Beijing - much of Shanghai's municipality is quite rural (particularly Jinshan, Fengxian, Songjiang, Jiading, Qingpu, large portions of Pudong, not to mention Chongming Island); they are also not as far flung as Beijing's outer suburbs, so any lines serving these more rural districts don't have to be as long. Thus less overall length. Shanghai's Metro will have significantly better inner city coverage, though.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #2495
_Night City Dream_

Well, I remember passing Songjiang and there were pretty mane high-rises there with too few free spaces.

And then, built up parts of Shanghai are way denser and taller than that of Beijing. In Beijing, I saw much more buildings not taller than 20 storeys while in Shanghai 30+ storey blocks are very common.

And then, I think rural parts of Shanghai will be developed in the coming years so, it will lead to an increase in demand for new metro lines.

By the way, Beijing metro trains are shorter and narrowers than most of Shanghai metro trains.

Old January 8th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #2496
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Well, I remember passing Songjiang and there were pretty mane high-rises there with too few free spaces.

And then, built up parts of Shanghai are way denser and taller than that of Beijing. In Beijing, I saw much more buildings not taller than 20 storeys while in Shanghai 30+ storey blocks are very common.

And then, I think rural parts of Shanghai will be developed in the coming years so, it will lead to an increase in demand for new metro lines.

By the way, Beijing metro trains are shorter and narrowers than most of Shanghai metro trains.
Shanghai is kind of strange...Beijing is more like what DC is (just a humoungous version of it). The other Special Administrative Regions are, including Shanghai, more aptly described as what NYC would be if we thought of Yonkers, Long Island, upper NJ and lower NY as all part of "one city." Really, it's an issue with classification (Shanghai is technically a "city," but it's really a county - or mini-province - masquerading as a city).

Quote:

Hmmmm...no they won't...they will still be rather "rural," as they are now. There will be several centers outside of the main city (Anting/Jiading, Songjiang, etc) clustered around the metro stations. There won't be a massive expanse of "built up" space between them...not unless they want to re-create what happened in the US (and hence why Beijing has such horrible traffic). [The City of] "Shanghai" is pretty much just the center districts (i.e. "Puxi" and Lujiazui and the immediate surrounding area in Pudong). It's a rather small proportion of the entire "city," which is why Shanghai actually has a lower overall density than Beijing even though Shanghai has a much larger population.

Quote:

Also, density doesn't just mean there are a lot of tall buildings close together. LA is actually denser than NYC...then again, "density" isn't an end-all-be-all. For example, NYC has a denser core than LA but that density isn't spread equally over the metro area, whereas LA has a less dense core but that density is fairly even over the whole metro area. "Density" in and of itself isn't always a good indicator of good planning, you have to qualify it.

Old January 9th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #2497
saiho

Likes (Received): 1285

Quote:
Also, density doesn't just mean there are a lot of tall buildings close together. LA is actually denser than NYC...then again, "density" isn't an end-all-be-all. For example, NYC has a denser core than LA but that density isn't spread equally over the metro area, whereas LA has a less dense core but that density is fairly even over the whole metro area. "Density" in and of itself isn't always a good indicator of good planning, you have to qualify it.

Very true, you can see the ambiguity in the densities by the way they "define" the city. Some city's (Tokyo, Seoul, etc) have inflated density values due to the way they sliced the city. Tokyo used the 23 wards defination which is the "downtown" only ignoring most of the relativity "less dense" metropolitan area. Comparing apples to apples, Shanghai should just use a Puxi and chunks of Pudong but instead they use the "downtown" districts and the "inner suburban" districts to generate the density stat.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 02:00 AM   #2498
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
Very true, you can see the ambiguity in the densities by the way they "define" the city. Some city's (Tokyo, Seoul, etc) have inflated density values due to the way they sliced the city. Tokyo used the 23 wards defination which is the "downtown" only ignoring most of the relativity "less dense" metropolitan area. Comparing apples to apples, Shanghai should just use a Puxi and chunks of Pudong but instead they use the "downtown" districts and the "inner suburban" districts to generate the density stat.
Well, it seems they went with the continuous urban area in looking to define the "city." Seoul is a "special city" (more similar with DC or HK - it's one of the few that fit this description perfectly, hence why Incheon isn't included).
That Wiki page seems to have been edited, but they defined "core districts" as Puxi and those areas of Pudong immediately adjacent to it (pretty much, the continuous urban area, which breaks off in the inner-suburbs - Baoshan, Minhang, etc).
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #2499
_Night City Dream_

Thanks for detailed information about shanghai. Could you tell me then what are approximately sizes of the two cities in kilometers (North-South, East-West).

Old January 9th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #2500
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Well, it seems they went with the continuous urban area in looking to define the "city." Seoul is a "special city" (more similar with DC or HK - it's one of the few that fit this description perfectly, hence why Incheon isn't included).
That Wiki page seems to have been edited, but they defined "core districts" as Puxi and those areas of Pudong immediately adjacent to it (pretty much, the continuous urban area, which breaks off in the inner-suburbs - Baoshan, Minhang, etc).
Personally, I'd classify the 'city' of Shanghai as everything within the Outer Ring Road. Everything outside of that could be considered suburban, though there are pockets of reasonably high density even outside the Outer Ring Road.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram