daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 05:10 AM   #2621
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Line 16 Heshahngcheng Station 鹤沙航城站 (U/C)

Line 16's trial run is confirmed to start on October 1st 2013.

by metrofans.sh.cn

Highcliff liked this post
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2013, 05:13 AM   #2622
big-dog

CRH6 train is suggested to run between the two airports. The new route will be built along the suburban elevated highway with a few stops in the middle.

Quote:
Shanghai mulls new rail link to airports

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/busines...t_16412876.htm

Shanghai is studying the construction of an express railway to connect its two airports, an official said on Monday.
"We are looking at ways of shortening the time between Pudong International Airport and Hongqiao Airport, such as building an express route, and that means we will see more business jets arriving," said Jing Yiming, vice-president of Shanghai Airport Authority and chairman of Shanghai Hawker Pacific Business Aviation Service Center.
He was speaking at the three-day 2013 Asian Business Aviation Conference and Exhibition (ABACE) that started on Tuesday.
According to Jing, it takes about two hours to travel between the airports by taking the Metro, and if the new express railway is launched, the time range will be shortened to 30-40 minutes.
Business aviation traffic at Shanghai's airports has reached 3,800 flights, accounting for one third of the nation's total.
China's rapid development and huge potential of business and corporate aviation also attract more players to join the market.
courtesy Pansori
Old April 22nd, 2013, 05:34 AM   #2623
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

I've said many times they should extend the Maglev to Hongqiao, via Lujiazui, People's Square and a station on line 3/4, no more. Super fast, and not around the center but through it. That way it won't just be an airport to airport connector, but also a fast and efficient airport to city connector.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 05:36 AM   #2624
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post

I've said many times they should extend the Maglev to Hongqiao, via Lujiazui, People's Square and a station on line 3/4, no more. Super fast, and not around the center but through it. That way it won't just be an airport to airport connector, but also a fast and efficient airport to city connector.
not likely to happen. Though, if they want to make it useful, they can extend it to Disney then on to the South Railway Station, then possibly on to Hongqiao from a southern connection.
phoenixboi08 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 07:03 AM   #2625
saiho

Likes (Received): 1287

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
line 9 and 10 are doing okay now. But line 3/4 need serious capacity upgrade. A line splitting project was initiated to separate the shared part of Line 3 and 4 to increase frequencies. Increasing car number is another solution but it will need infrastructure construction on all stations.
Is the there a provision to extend the platforms further? On some line 9 videos I swear I saw room to extend the platform.

Quote:
CRH6 train is suggested to run between the two airports. The new route will be built along the suburban elevated highway with a few stops in the middle.
Which expressway to be exact? and is the express railway going to be elevated?

Quote:

Maglev tech is obscenely expensive and gets a bad rap in china ATM. I would just plunge it underground to Lujiazui and call it a day.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 07:26 AM   #2626
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101416

Quote:
line 9 and 10 are doing okay now. But line 3/4 need serious capacity upgrade. A line splitting project was initiated to separate the shared part of Line 3 and 4 to increase frequencies. Increasing car number is another solution but it will need infrastructure construction on all stations.
When I live in Shanghai, I always use line 9 and I see that trains are very crowded, for all their length. Often times it is hard to get in or even impossible. The same for line 10 especially because it connects to Honqiao transportation hub.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

forumaniac, Zaz965 liked this post
_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 07:28 AM   #2627
_Night City Dream_

Quote:
Line 16 Heshahngcheng Station 鹤沙航城站 (U/C)

Line 16's trial run is confirmed to start on October 1st 2013.

by metrofans.sh.cn
Once again, the launch has been put off. It had been said before the line will open for public on Sept 30th.

I guess, Shanghai won't be able to launch all the 3 lines totaling 99 km this year.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:06 AM   #2628
big-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
Which expressway to be exact? and is the express railway going to be elevated?
It's an initial plan only. The most likely route will be from Hongqiao station -> following Jiamin elevated to south -> S32 expressway -> S4 expressway -> Crossing Huangpu River -> Linhai road and Hunan Road (Zhoupu) -> Pudong airport. I assume it'll be elevated rail to save space.

image by 导乘信息

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
When I live in Shanghai, I always use line 9 and I see that trains are very crowded, for all their length. Often times it is hard to get in or even impossible. The same for line 10 especially because it connects to Honqiao transportation hub.
I use Line 9 to work as well. I feel Line 3/4 is more crowded at rush hour.

Quote:
Once again, the launch has been put off. It had been said before the line will open for public on Sept 30th.

I guess, Shanghai won't be able to launch all the 3 lines totaling 99 km this year.
Sep 30 is not too early from Oct 1st. So far I haven't heard news of any opening pushing to 2014. Let's keep the finger crossed
Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:29 AM   #2629
_Night City Dream_

I don't mind that line 3/4 are crowded but so are line 9 and 10 probably a little less. Anyway they all would benefit from adding 2 more cars to trains.

As for Sep 30th there was indicated above that it would be launched for commercial service now, they're talking about trial run since Oct 1st.

Old April 22nd, 2013, 03:26 PM   #2630
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:

I was thinking about the same my self. They would undermine the maglev and the Metro if this new line is build. Considering this is not for adding capacity, but rather for convenience, I find it a little bit odd.
I would also like to see a connection at Century Avneue or Peoples Square, but I guess those stations are not ready for more passengers?
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:15 AM   #2631
ddes

Likes (Received): 928

I'd imagine that their secondary intention, besides connecting the two airports, would be to bring the CRH to Pudong airport.

phoenixboi08 liked this post
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 02:54 PM   #2632
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

So it's kind of like adding a rail station to Pudong and connecting it to Hongqiao?
Either way, seems the best route as they get improved connections in the area (much of Pudong hasn't gotten its new metro lines as of yet).

I guess the airport will be operating this as opposed to SH Metro, but do you think they'd operate it as a commuter rail, as well?
phoenixboi08 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:26 PM   #2633
big-dog

Quote:
As for Sep 30th there was indicated above that it would be launched for commercial service now, they're talking about trial run since Oct 1st.
That might be some wording issue. I know some trial run lasts as long as a year and most people regard it as an opening
Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:28 PM   #2634
big-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
I'd imagine that their secondary intention, besides connecting the two airports, would be to bring the CRH to Pudong airport.
There's an intention to bring a major train station to Pudong as there's no rail connection for such a large area.
Old April 24th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #2635
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

I think this has been discussed extensively before, the only way was to build an all deep bore underground CRH corridor, if such plan is carried out there has better be a new underground station at people's square.
Old April 24th, 2013, 04:25 AM   #2636
saiho

Likes (Received): 1287

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
I think this has been discussed extensively before, the only way was to build an all deep bore underground CRH corridor, if such plan is carried out there has better be a new underground station at people's square.
No point jogging it down to peoples square just plunge it into Pudong. Peoples sq is already congested enough.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:27 AM   #2637
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Then there is still no easy way to get to Pudong from downtown Shanghai, the quickest way right now is riding Line 7 or Line 2 to Longyang Rd and then to Maglev, the whole process takes like an hour. A direct HSR ride from People's Square to Pudong can cut that to 30 minutes.
Old April 24th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #2638
_Night City Dream_

The point is, in my opinion, that building a HSR line like that will cut profits for Maglev & line 2 to a great extent.

Old April 24th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #2639
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18133

Metro lines 3, 4 to split by 2015
Shanghai Daily
Apr 23, 2013

THE Metro system soon will start the process of separating Line 3 and Line 4, which by 2015 is expected to increase the capacities of the two busiest lines in the city, a senior subway expert said yesterday.

The lines, which currently share part of their routes, will go their separate ways in a rerouting project that will involve 2.6 kilometers of track and cost 2.89 billion yuan (US$467.5 million), according to the National Development and Reform Commission.

"The city should start the project as soon as possible because the sharing on the routes has seriously limited the capacities of the two lines, especially the ring-shape Line 4 that links many other Metro lines of the city," said Sun Zhang, a Metro expert and professor with Tongji University.

Sun made the remarks after a new shuttle bus route meant to relieve crowding on part of Metro Line 3 during the morning was canceled over the weekend after it got light use due to road congestion.

Lines 3 and 4 share nine stations between the Baoshan Road and the Yishan Road stations, forcing passengers have to wait for at least five minutes for either of the lines' trains.

"After the separation, the train intervals of both lines can be shortened to about 2 minutes, doubling the lines' capacities," Zhang said.

According to the plan, Line 4 will run the ring-shape route alone. Line 3 will be cut into two separate parts - Jiangyang Road N. to Shanghai Railway Station in the north and Yishan Road to Shanghai Southern Railway Station in the south.

The Baoshan Road Station where the two lines will still meet after the separation will be renovated, Shanghai Radio Station news reported yesterday. Two new elevated rails will be built at the station for the new Line 3.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #2640
big-dog

This is under hot discussion now on Shanghai local metro forums.

Line 3/4 separation project plan

The purpose is to split the shared section and increase capacity for both lines. The initial budget is 2.8 bln yuan ($448 mln), project completes in 2015. It's not finalized yet the current plan is,
  • The shared part will be used by Line 4 only;
  • Line 3 will be split into 2 parts;
  • Double line will be built between Shanghai Railway Station and Baoshan Road for Line 3 upper section;

Shared section of Line 3/4

current separation plan

new Baoshan Station

by metrofans.sh.cn

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram