daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2014, 09:40 AM   #3181
jaysonn341

Likes (Received): 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severiano View Post
You don't really need to add the Maglev. Its a total white elephant, I usually avoid taking it.
What are the alternatives?
Line 2 will set you back a good 40 mins. Likewise with a taxi or bus. I can be "almost there" in 5 mins with the Maglev.
jaysonn341 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:31 AM   #3182
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
I love taking it. The fastest way to get to the city.
Except it doesn't go to the city. There are so many problems with the maglev Let me count the ways.....

1. Don't expect any expansion because they just built an apartment building across the street from the Longyang road terminus. Therefore blocking it in forever. If they were to expand it, they would have to demolish rows and rows of new homes. Tunneling is out of the question.

2. They still use the 2010 subway map in the Maglev station, so obviously nobody gives a crap.

3. Now that they have started building line 16, the taxi stand is gone, so all the taxi drivers try to screw people. Also they put up these stupid poles all around the station so ensure that your luggage will not fit through. Smart!

4. The station has two stops, why check the tickets twice? Why not just check them once like the HK airport express

5. Why the security, I just got off a plane! Also can we not be paranoid for once.

6. 3 regular turnstiles and 1 for people with larger bags. Maybe they should all be for large bags, since this thing goes to the AIRPORT!

7. Ticket machines don't work, Only one person working the booth, can't use Transport card because I won't get the 10 yuan discount.

8. Transferring from line 7 and 2 is a maze,up down up down stairs escalator stairs escalator. You also have to go outside, that means possibly getting rained on, same if you want a taxi.

Just admit it is a disaster, tear it down and build a normal train like HK or Beijing. That way they can tunnel it and it can stop at Century Ave, LJZ and Peoples square. From my house in Jing'an it is a 55 yuan taxi ride to the maglev station. It can take anywhere from 20-40 minutes depending on traffic. I would love it if there were a slower train that took us to People's square in 30-35 mins and I could just get a taxi from there.

The sheer frustration of Maglev, taxi, and Pudong airport in general has made me come up with the 400 rule. I will only choose a Pudong flight if the ticket price is 400 less than the cheapest Hongqiao flight.

phoenixboi08 liked this post
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 11:40 AM   #3183
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Except it doesn't go to the city. There are so many problems with the maglev Let me count the ways.....

1. Don't expect any expansion because they just built an apartment building across the street from the Longyang road terminus. Therefore blocking it in forever. If they were to expand it, they would have to demolish rows and rows of new homes. Tunneling is out of the question.
They would probably just build a tunnel entrance and underground Longyang through station somewhere not blocked by new apartment buildings...

Tunneling is the ONLY option to connect it to places people want to go instead of around the city, and maglev is the best way of giving Hongqiao and Pudong the fast connection they deserve.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 12:05 PM   #3184
jaysonn341

Does everything have to use Maglev technology? What about a slower train in a tunnel that connects the two airports with a stop at Peoples square? If the whole journey takes 30 mins, that's still very good!
At least there is a train in Shanghai! In Melbourne, there are no tracks leading to the airport. Your only options are a bus or a taxi.

FM 2258 liked this post
Old May 22nd, 2014, 12:36 PM   #3185
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 809

Quote:
Wrong. Line 2 is not that stuffed to squeeze in the train. And then you've got line 7, too.
Try Line 2 between 4.30pm and 7.30pm towards city centre, getting on at Longyang Road.
Lots of people working in the pudong high tech parks, who occupy the train.
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:20 PM   #3186
VECTROTALENZIS
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Likes (Received): 4432

How's longyang road station out of the way?

isn't it just on the border of the inner city?

The inner city downtown starts at longyang road since the inner ring road goes there right?
Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:41 PM   #3187
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:

The only utility they could get out of the Maglev is extending it to Disneyland/Line 11 and then continuing on to South Station (and some alignment on to Hongqiao). In any case, it's clear not using conventional rail was a mistake.

but hey, they get to tout it every now and then, so I guess it's a win...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VECTROTALENZIS View Post
How's longyang road station out of the way?

isn't it just on the border of the inner city?

The inner city downtown starts at longyang road since the inner ring road goes there right?
Not quite...don't forget how large Pudong is. Lujiazui is just one small district in Pudong. It's is still quite a distance to get to Lujiazui (I think almost 10km)...

Even though, it's not necessarily that long to go on to the City Center (People's Square)

or Lujiazui -

30 minutes or so - but it is annoying to have to switch from the Maglev to the subway, carrying bags, purchase your tickets, etc. (and Line 2 is the worst line to try to take with bags since it's always so crowded)

I am convinced the maglev can be "saved" if they utilize it for tourists visiting Disneyland and the soon to be hotels/resorts in that area.
I still think a connection to the South Station and Hongqiao is the most desirable, but given the abandonment of the plan to extend it to Suzhou, that seems unlikely.

Last edited by phoenixboi08; May 22nd, 2014 at 01:53 PM.
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:42 PM   #3188
Severiano

Longyang road is inconvenient if you live in Puxi, where a vast majority of Shanghai residents live. The subway transfer is awkward, especially for travelers who have big bags. Taxi drivers will try to screw you too. They either say its 50 yuan extra to cross the Huangpu or start at 150 no meter. As far as expansion, here is a pic I took 3 weeks ago. Notice that the Maglev has nowhere to go.

phoenixboi08, Attus liked this post
Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:48 PM   #3189
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6908

Severiano does have a point there. Maglev is certainly big fun and a great attraction (also last time I used it it was far from being underused). But as a means of transport for getting to main central areas (People's Square or even Century Avenue) it's somewhat inadequate.

One thing that could have possibly made it more usable is more convenient transfer system with direct access to line 2 by using direct elevators or escalators. Also more integrated ticketing would help. But right now it's somewhat detached from metro and is functioning in its own right which makes it even less attractive as a means of getting from Airport to main areas in Shanghai.

Also I don't understand why on earth they didn't build it at least to Lujiazui (Century Avenue)? That would have been a whole different situation.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:54 PM   #3190
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Also I don't understand why on earth they didn't build it at least to Lujiazui (Century Avenue)? That would have been a whole different situation.
Maybe it's connected to the decision to elevate the line rather than put it in a tunnel?
Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:30 PM   #3191
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
The only utility they could get out of the Maglev is extending it to Disneyland/Line 11 and then continuing on to South Station (and some alignment on to Hongqiao). In any case, it's clear not using conventional rail was a mistake.

but hey, they get to tout it every now and then, so I guess it's a win...

Not quite...don't forget how large Pudong is. Lujiazui is just one small district in Pudong. It's is still quite a distance to get to Lujiazui (I think almost 10km)...

Even though, it's not necessarily that long to go on to the City Center (People's Square)

or Lujiazui -

30 minutes or so - but it is annoying to have to switch from the Maglev to the subway, carrying bags, purchase your tickets, etc. (and Line 2 is the worst line to try to take with bags since it's always so crowded)

I am convinced the maglev can be "saved" if they utilize it for tourists visiting Disneyland and the soon to be hotels/resorts in that area.
I still think a connection to the South Station and Hongqiao is the most desirable, but given the abandonment of the plan to extend it to Suzhou, that seems unlikely.
It can't be that long. According to the same Google Maps, it takes 21 minutes to go from Renmin'guangchang to Longyanglu, and 16 minutes from Lujiazui.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 06:25 AM   #3192
Severiano

Yea, that time is probably measured from when the doors on the line 2 subway train shut to when they open at LJZ and Peoples Square. It doesn't take into account exiting the station, going down the stairs, squeezing your suitcase between those stupid poles they put everywhere, down the escalator, down the stairs because the escalator doesn't go all the way down. Lining up to buy a ticket, going to another machine because you don't have coins because you just flew in from another city in China which doesn't use coins. Going to the opposite end of the station because that's where the security checkpoint is (security again! even though I just got off a plane and got checked again for the maglev) Blowing past the security checkpoint at breakneck speed. Having the security guy yell at you to check your bag and pretending you don't understand (sometimes being a foreigner is good, gotta take advantage) Swiping your card 4 times because the card readers don't work very well. Going down the stairs again, getting pushed onto the train. Ride train to destination, repeat. Hopefully you don't have to transfer.

phoenixboi08 liked this post
Old May 23rd, 2014, 06:39 AM   #3193
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Quote:

2. They still use the 2010 subway map in the Maglev station, so obviously nobody gives a crap.

3. Now that they have started building line 16, the taxi stand is gone, so all the taxi drivers try to screw people. Also they put up these stupid poles all around the station so ensure that your luggage will not fit through. Smart!

4. The station has two stops, why check the tickets twice? Why not just check them once like the HK airport express

5. Why the security, I just got off a plane! Also can we not be paranoid for once.

6. 3 regular turnstiles and 1 for people with larger bags. Maybe they should all be for large bags, since this thing goes to the AIRPORT!

7. Ticket machines don't work, Only one person working the booth, can't use Transport card because I won't get the 10 yuan discount.

8. Transferring from line 7 and 2 is a maze,up down up down stairs escalator stairs escalator. You also have to go outside, that means possibly getting rained on, same if you want a taxi.

Just admit it is a disaster, tear it down and build a normal train like HK or Beijing. That way they can tunnel it and it can stop at Century Ave, LJZ and Peoples square. From my house in Jing'an it is a 55 yuan taxi ride to the maglev station. It can take anywhere from 20-40 minutes depending on traffic. I would love it if there were a slower train that took us to People's square in 30-35 mins and I could just get a taxi from there.

The sheer frustration of Maglev, taxi, and Pudong airport in general has made me come up with the 400 rule. I will only choose a Pudong flight if the ticket price is 400 less than the cheapest Hongqiao flight.
Frankly, reason for the maglev was partially to test the technology. China gave serious thought about maglev before going to more "traditional" high speed rail.

Why does the tunneling is impossible? It isn't.

Also, I think maglev is a great solution to connect two airports.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:29 AM   #3194
Severiano

Tunneling is not impossible, but would be very hard and costly. Look at the picture! The maglev is boxed in on all sides.

I know it was to test maglev technology, and it was a 1.5 billion dollar test. They could have built a Burj Khalifa for that money. Maybe they will connect the airports, but first Chen Liangyu has to break out of prison, rob an ICBC, and then maybe they will expand it.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:08 PM   #3195
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

I was arriving Shanghai early morning on a Tuesday and used the Maglev, line 2 and line 4 to get to my destination. I had a big bag and that made some more hassle, but that it would do in any comparable world-city. I think it worked very well.
I agree that the end stop for the maglev could have been better(although, I don't think connecting it to PS is a good idea). But given its speed, it's very efficient and I don't think in any circumstances you can get to your destination quicker.

_Night City Dream_, timeandspace liked this post
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2014, 09:07 AM   #3196
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101350

I don't find so many problems that Severiano is trying to describe. What about the majority of airport trains in the world, are they more convenient? Definitely no.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

Zaz965 liked this post
_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2014, 08:39 AM   #3197
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
I don't find so many problems that Severiano is trying to describe. What about the majority of airport trains in the world, are they more convenient? Definitely no.
There are others that are far more convenient...

In any case, if you're going to Lujiazui or somewhere near People's Square, then it's fine, since it's just a short (in so many words) subway ride away.

Otherwise, it's more convenient to take a taxi or bus/shuttle (and most people I know do this). That Maglev is a fun thing to do on your first visit, and is just an afterthought thereafter - from my experience.
Old May 27th, 2014, 08:23 AM   #3198
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

from last time the Maglev extension was discussed it doesn't go directly to north (where it's blocked by buildings). The Maglev line will turn to west instead and go to Hongqiao from there.

To make the turn the current Maglev station has to be abandoned and a new one (co-station with Line 18) will be built nearby.

As for the taxi stand (currently occupied by Line 16), the plan is to build another one near Line 2 exist 2, which is another project that has not started yet.

Quote:
Longyang road is inconvenient if you live in Puxi, where a vast majority of Shanghai residents live. The subway transfer is awkward, especially for travelers who have big bags. Taxi drivers will try to screw you too. They either say its 50 yuan extra to cross the Huangpu or start at 150 no meter. As far as expansion, here is a pic I took 3 weeks ago. Notice that the Maglev has nowhere to go.

big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #3199
jaysonn341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
EXACTLY! I'm pretty sure that at the time, the current high rise developments were not there. Also that avenue down towards Lujiazui is so big you could easily put the tracks there.
I still use the Maglev though because its a lot quicker than the taxi or line 2.
Old May 27th, 2014, 05:28 PM   #3200
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101350

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
There are others that are far more convenient...

In any case, if you're going to Lujiazui or somewhere near People's Square, then it's fine, since it's just a short (in so many words) subway ride away.

Otherwise, it's more convenient to take a taxi or bus/shuttle (and most people I know do this). That Maglev is a fun thing to do on your first visit, and is just an afterthought thereafter - from my experience.
Just consider the size of Shanghai. An ordinary trail will take more than an hour to go downtown. Maglev + metro is far less.

Don't tell me RER in Paris is more convenient or London tube.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

Zaz965 liked this post
_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram