daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2014, 06:26 AM   #3221
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

Is the splitting of line 3 a permanent solution? I thought they were going to build it underground.
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2014, 12:39 AM   #3222
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 810

Detailed Report on Shanghai Metro Line 6:

Old July 15th, 2014, 06:31 AM   #3223
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101416

I took Maglev several days ago and noticed that the construction of line 16 extension is underway! For some 800 meters line will run along with the Maglev line, which is cool. And I guess transfer from line 16 Longyang Road station to lines 2 and 7 will take a lot of time.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

Dooie_Amsterdammert, Zaz965 liked this post
_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2014, 07:04 AM   #3224
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

The construction is going well. I can see it when I drive to office. The worst transfer would be that from Line 16 to Line 7. Passengers have to walk crossing Maglev and Line 2 in the middle.
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 05:05 AM   #3225
big-dog

July 22
Line 7 Qihua Rd Station will open on July 22

Qihua Rd Station was the only unopened station of Line 7 phase II.

by metrofans
Old July 25th, 2014, 08:17 PM   #3226
_Night City Dream_

Where's that?

Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 26th, 2014, 06:19 AM   #3227
big-dog

Right here

(picture credit to Zidar_fr)

_Night City Dream_, dewlin07 liked this post
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 02:51 AM   #3228
wwc234

Likes (Received): 5094

Metro Shanghai Mendapatkan Kereta Dengan Desain Love Live | Baca Selengkapnya
https://www.facebook.com/JapaneseSta...type=1&theater
wwc234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 07:00 AM   #3229
_Night City Dream_

By the way, I've seen this time many new trolleybuses in Shanghai. All were low-floor, very modern and fresh. Pics to come.

And one more things I've noticed during my summer stay in Shanghai his year. Many buses now have LED destination signs instead of old drop-indicators. The old ones were better for taking pictures of LED signs look more modern but not so unique or original.

Pansori, VECTROTALENZIS, Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 29th, 2014, 12:00 AM   #3230
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
By the way, I've seen this time many new trolleybuses in Shanghai. All were low-floor, very modern and fresh. Pics to come.

And one more things I've noticed during my summer stay in Shanghai his year. Many buses now have LED destination signs instead of old drop-indicators. The old ones were better for taking pictures of LED signs look more modern but not so unique or original.
I thought trolleybuses are being phased out of service in Chinese cities? Why would they buy new ones?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 02:59 AM   #3231
saiho

Likes (Received): 1287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I thought trolleybuses are being phased out of service in Chinese cities?
Up to maybe around the late 90's. After that they probably realized that tearing down infrastructure is is dumb. Also supercapcitor buses and trams IMHO is a waste of money. When Nanjing, Guangzhou and Shenyang realize that these systems are an absolute pain to maintain and run, the fad will be over and wired connections will roll back in.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 03:20 AM   #3232
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
Up to maybe around the late 90's. After that they probably realized that tearing down infrastructure is is dumb. Also supercapcitor buses and trams IMHO is a waste of money. When Nanjing, Guangzhou and Shenyang realize that these systems are an absolute pain to maintain and run, the fad will be over and wired connections will roll back in.
According to Wikipedia

Quote:
In 2004, the system was reported to comprise more than 20 routes, using a fleet of almost 900 vehicles,[3] but subsequently both numbers have significantly declined. The active fleet – the number of vehicles still in regular use – totalled a little more than 200 at the end of 2009.[10]
Reference: Trolleybus Magazine No. 290 (March–April 1990), p. 40.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 04:03 AM   #3233
androidhay
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Line 2 has the highest congregation of white collar workers since this line travels through Lujiazui financial disctrict and terminates at Zhangjiang High Tech Park. Girls of extraordinary beauty are also more easily to be seen than any other subways

maginn, VECTROTALENZIS liked this post
androidhay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 07:37 PM   #3234
_Night City Dream_

Quote:
Why do you think so?

Zaz965 liked this post
Old August 17th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #3235
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwc234 View Post

Metro Shanghai Mendapatkan Kereta Dengan Desain Love Live | Baca Selengkapnya
https://www.facebook.com/JapaneseSta...type=1&theater
Yeah I saw the news regarding that

Here's a sample layout as well:

It is apparently for the launch of the game called "Love Live School Idol Festival" in Mainland China. The game is based on a Japanese anime called "Love Live School Idol Project" and has been a hit not just in Japan but also around the world as well......spawning into merchandise, games and whatnot.

I play the game myself........just to pass the time and imho, it's one of the more enjoyable music/rhythm simulation games that I have on my phone right now =)

With that said, there are indeed some die-hard extreme fans and supporters of Love Live as well.

You don't see that every day. Nevertheless, it is unique (in a way) and people's reactions may vary. For me though, I would be content with say just taking pictures of the train (because you don't see anime train wraps that often).........but I personally wouldn't go that far to bow down and worship the anime goddesses (even if these are the muse/u's idol group) but that's just me.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks =)

Northridge, dewlin07, Zaz965 liked this post
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 11:40 PM   #3236
mopc

Likes (Received): 11945

quite sad actually

maginn liked this post
mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #3237
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18133

Rapid transport for Disney resort
August 18, 2014
Shanghai Daily

TWO rapid transport systems are set to carry visitors around Shanghai Disney Resort, according to latest plans.

These will be built in the Shanghai International Tourism and Resorts Zone where the Chinese mainland’s first Disney resort is currently under construction, the Shanghai Planning and Land Resources Bureau said.

Visitors will enter the resort, which is due to open next year, by taking an extension of Metro Line 11 or shuttle buses running from a Metro Line 2 link.

According to the latest layout of the zone, these will arrive at a transit station from where passengers can choose from two rapid transit systems within the tourism area.

One is set to loop around the lake located near the theme park, which will be surrounded by hotels and recreational facilities.

The other transit system will bring visitors to a public transport hub within the zone, the plan shows.

Traffic hubs will be situated near entrances to the 3.9 square kilometer theme park to better disperse the crowds, reported news portal eastday.com.

The Shanghai International Tourism and Resorts Zone is designed to help the city become a world-famous tourist destination, with Shanghai Disney Resort at its heart, say officials.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

FM 2258 liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 05:53 PM   #3238
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

So I guess no Maglev extension to Disney resort. I'd love to see a Disney themed train to the resort as they've done on Hong Kong. The only Disney park I've been to in my life is in Hong Kong.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 08:15 PM   #3239
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
According to Wikipedia

Quote:
In 2004, the system was reported to comprise more than 20 routes, using a fleet of almost 900 vehicles,[3] but subsequently both numbers have significantly declined. The active fleet – the number of vehicles still in regular use – totalled a little more than 200 at the end of 2009.[10]
Reference: Trolleybus Magazine No. 290 (March–April 1990), p. 40.
That is bull shit, In 2004 Shanghai's trolley-bus system was already in a severe decline with only 16 routes and merely 400 or so operable vehicles. The heydays of Shanghai's trolley-bus system was from April 30th, 1990 to February 10th, 1992, with 22 routes and 961 trolley-buses, ALL ARTICULATED!. The routes were 6, 8, 9, 11~28, and Tunnel Bus Line 5 (隧道五线).

You know what was Tunnel Bus Line 5? It was the first trolley-bus route to travel through a cross harbor, under water tunnel. Seattle's downtown bus tunnel and Boston's Silver Line bus tunnel have also supported trolley-buses, but these two tunnels are dedicated bus tunnels where general traffic is not allowed in there, and the vehicles operated in there were specially built dual mode trolley-buses which only operated in trolley mode when in the tunnel, as soon as they leave the tunnel, they switch to diesel mode.

Not in the case of Shanghai's Tunnel Bus Line 5 (隧道五线), it was a full conventional trolley-bus route that traveled through a 2261m cross harbor tunnel (East Yan-an Road Tunnel, 延安东路隧道), the tunnel was not a dedicated bus tunnel, it was opened to general traffic.

Tunnel Bus Line 5 was inaugurated on April 30th 1990. I remember this day very vividly since I rode it on the first day. For the first in Shanghai's history, trolley-bus was brought to Pudong. At one time Shanghai had very ambitious plan to build a huge trolley-bus network in Pudong, they even built a trolley garage, but never for one day had it housed a trolley-bus. On August 31, 1996, Tunnel Bus Line 5 had to be converted to motor bus operation because of the construction of Shanghai's East-west cross-town via-duct which was also known as Yan-an Road via-duct, as well as the twinning of a second tube for East Yan-an Road Tunnel.

In the 1990's we lost not just Tunnel Bus Line 5, but also four other trolley routes, including route 27 in 1992, route 9 in 1993, route 12 in 1994, and route 16 in 1997. In the story of route 27, when the Shanghai municipal government decided to uglify the Bund (外滩), Shanghai's famous water-front, they saw trolley wires as an eye sore. On the night of February 10th and wee hours of February 11th, Shanghai transit deployed more than 30 line trucks to tear down 5 km of two way trolley overhead in a single night from the Garden Bridge(白渡桥) and the Bund, the next morning, route 27 trolley became route 37 gasoline bus. The affected trolley routes were not just 27, but also 22 which also traveled on the Garden Bridge and the Bund and whose terminus was at Shi-liu-pu (16th Pier, 十六铺), Shanghai's then main passenger ship dock. Route 22 had to be truncated on the north side of the Garden Bridge.

It was around 1997 when single compartment rigid trolleys were reintroduced by the now defunct Shanghai Coach Plant (上海客车厂). The switch from articulated trolley to rigid trolley itself was an indication of the decline in ridership, and of course the on slaughter didn't just stop at the end of 1990's, in 2003 we lost 77 years old route 18, and in 2005, route 21. While the loss of routes 9, 12, 16, 18, 21, 27, and Tunnel Bus Line 5 were all road construction/uglification initiated, or government initiated, after 2005, all the losses were enterprise initiated, which were in the cases of routes 11, 17, and 26. Routes 11 and 26 were switched to super capacitor "wi-fi" trolley, and route 17 was switched to diesel operation simply because the company didn't want to operate trolley any more. Other routes that also temporarily lost all trolley operation were 13, 15, 22, 23 simply because Shanghai was so desperately anemic of operable trolleys from 2010 to 2013 (down to 91 operable trolleys in 2013). At one time we thought these routes were never able to recover, luckily with the new Young-MAN trolleys, these four routes have all recovered now. Today, the number of trolley routes in Shanghai sits at 12, and there is talk to convert route 37 back to trolley again because of the government incentives for purchasing and using "rechargeable electric bus", a fancy term for the new trolley-bus. Route 37 will have to cross the Garden Bridge and the Bund on "wi-fi" mode, they are doing feasibility study now.

timeandspace liked this post
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 08:30 PM   #3240
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post

Yes, the new Neoplan Young-MAN "rechargeable electric bus" is the brightest shining star on Shanghai's bus forum right now.

http://sh.52bus.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=2

look for postings by Wing or Ultraseven.
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram