daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 29th, 2014, 07:07 AM   #3261
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Regardless of what caused the action, there were at least 10 other people around who would have seen what had happened. As someone with a heart disorder myself, I hate to see this reaction. If that man was suffering from Cardiac Arrest or Ventrical Fibrillation, he would have been dead in minutes, simply due to the ignorance of the passengers around him.

Dismissing a reaction such as that as a "smear campaign" is quite disgusting.

Silly_Walks, Severiano liked this post
Sopomon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2014, 08:21 AM   #3262
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101367

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonn341 View Post
Anyone thought about the fear that commuters might have these days from all those knife attacks at stations etc? With that mentality, if you see someone running and shouting, I wouldn't be surprised to see everyone just follow without knowing what was happening.
That is. Last year a mad man started to yell at me right at the flyover at Lujiazui, he was armed with a knife. Luckily, I wasn't injured.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

Zaz965 liked this post
_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 09:20 AM   #3263
augst6

Likes (Received): 11

I'm sorry Sopomon, I didn't mean to offend anyone.

I would like to stress that their reaction is nowhere near appropriate. Its just that this video stirred mayhem in the Chinese community (As seen from Weibo) and western media. The passengers were largely condemned for their lack of empathy, their ignorance and their selfishness.

From the comments I've read from western news reports, people were misled to believe that the poor bloke was left there forever, or ignored, accusing the Chinese for their lack of culture and respect.

I'm merely pointing out that might some of the passengers be fleeing of fright, there are those that went straight for help, and I'm glad of that. What if everyone just stared at the guy, not leaving the train for help? I believe that contacting staffs outside and stopping the train is the right thing to do (obviously better with more coordination instead of an outflux of people).

I have witnessed myself the selfishness of mainlanders in Hong Kong. Being born in the late 90s, I never witnessed the boom of Hong Kong, but I know quite sure that the quality and respectfulness that Hongkongese built was not overnight. During British occupation, Hongkongese are considered behind and blatant, very backward in social development. China is now booming economically and the cultural aspect is catching up, people call me too patriotic but I simple hope for the world to give China her time to catch up with the developed, and don't
let a few rotten apple ruin you from tasting the rest.

Please don't take offence from my comments, I meant none!

_Night City Dream_, Sopomon, cfredo liked this post
augst6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 10:22 AM   #3264
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18132

People are on edge in China. It's not just the increased terrorism risk, as we saw in Kunming, but also crazy blokes who slash and kill randomly (Guangzhou). Ever since capitalism came, the good old days of community brotherhood have long disappeared as greed has engulfed a new consumerist economy. There are a lot of scams roaming about masked to lure the kindness of the helpful by-stander, so you see more people watching than helping these days.

Back then, people were poor, but at least were nice to one another.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 01:37 PM   #3265
_Night City Dream_

Well. That's not the general situation I think.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old September 11th, 2014, 11:36 AM   #3266
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18132

Metro to start work on Line 14
11 September 2014
Shanghai Daily

CONSTRUCTION of Shanghai’s Metro Line 14, which will have 31 stations spread across five districts and connect 15 other lines, will begin early next month.

The east-west line will be the city’s last biggest subway network to pass through the downtown area. It will cover 39.1 kilometer and cover Jiading, Putuo, Jing’an, Huangpu districts and the Pudong New Area.

As per current plans, 49 eight-carriage trains will be put into use when the line starts operation in 2020. It will operate from 5am to 11pm, and is expected to ferry around 800,000 passengers per day.

It will connect with other major stations like Pudong Avenue, the Jing’an Temple and the Yuyuan Garden.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

geometarkv, Zaz965 liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #3267
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Here is a map of line 14 from metrofans:

I don't like the long station gap between Jing'ansi and Huangpi Nanlu, they should put at least another stop there. Maybe bring back Huaihai Zhonglu or even the originally planned Changle Lu...
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2014, 05:16 PM   #3268
suburbicide

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Metro to start work on Line 14
11 September 2014
Shanghai Daily

CONSTRUCTION of Shanghai’s Metro Line 14, which will have 31 stations spread across five districts and connect 15 other lines, will begin early next month.
How much of it will be underground?
suburbicide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2014, 07:23 PM   #3269
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

Thank god for that, once completed should provide Line 2 with some long over-due relief.

Interesting there's no station between Jing'an Temple and Huangpi Road South - I suppose they struggled for find a site for the station box. Also of note is the change of routing away from Caoyang Road (cross-platform interchange with Line 11 already built) to the Wuning Road alignment - I wonder whether Dongxin Road to Caoyang Road will be an out of station interchange.

_Night City Dream_, big-dog liked this post
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 02:04 PM   #3270
_Night City Dream_

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbicide View Post
I guess it will be all along underground.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old September 14th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #3271
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbicide View Post
Line 14: 39.1km, 31 stations (all underground), Type A 8-car train.

geometarkv liked this post
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 11:12 AM   #3272
_Night City Dream_

I think to build such line within 6 years time is too fast.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old September 16th, 2014, 02:40 PM   #3273
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
Thank god for that, once completed should provide Line 2 with some long over-due relief.
Lmao finally you can cross from lujiazui to yu garden in one stop. Though i dont think it will be that effective in reducing line 2 load, i cannot imagine many people would travel from lujiazui to jinan temple.
Old September 16th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #3274
saiho

Likes (Received): 1285

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
Not really Beijing is building a similar line in 4 years.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 03:15 PM   #3275
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

This one passes right by my house. Wuding Lu Station. Too bad I won't live here when it opens.

Im really glad they decided to to with an 8 car train, the 6 car trains can get a little crowded during rush hour.
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #3276
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
Seeing the troubles they had with lines 12 and 13, which were originally planned to open in 2012 but now expected for 2015, I think 2020 is a reasonable opening date for line 14. What is beyond me, is why they didn't built it earlier.

I wonder how many people will confuse Wuning Lu and Wuding Lu. They are not only a letter apart in Pinyin, but also the Hanzi are similar. And they will be one next to the other!
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Last edited by CNGL; September 16th, 2014 at 03:56 PM.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #3277
DvW
德明

Likes (Received): 1602

^ Then there is always the tones: ​dìng​​ ​​/ níng, clear difference. Also, Chinese won't get confused by the characters: 定​ / 宁. Only foreigners might find it difficult.
DvW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 08:28 AM   #3278
_Night City Dream_

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Seeing the troubles they had with lines 12 and 13, which were originally planned to open in 2012 but now expected for 2015, I think 2020 is a reasonable opening date for line 14. What is beyond me, is why they didn't built it earlier.!
Almost 40 km of a completely underground line with so many stations throughout the mega dense built-area + crossing Huangpu river? 6 years to construct is fantastically fast. Even down here in Moscow were building metro at a frantic pace now, much faster than anywhere in the West but a line like that will take 15 years I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
I wonder how many people will confuse Wuning Lu and Wuding Lu. They are not only a letter apart in Pinyin, but also the Hanzi are similar. And they will be one next to the other!
I distinguish them clearly. While Hanzhong Lu Hangzhong Lu sound much more similar to me.

Swede, Zaz965 liked this post
Old September 17th, 2014, 10:47 AM   #3279
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvW View Post
^ Then there is always the tones: ​dìng​​ ​​/ níng, clear difference. Also, Chinese won't get confused by the characters: 定​ / 宁. Only foreigners might find it difficult.
I used to be confused between 七浦路 and 曲阜路 coz their they sound really similar in shanghainese. I didn't know 曲阜路 existed until I came across that station in line 8
Old September 17th, 2014, 02:52 PM   #3280
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Lmao finally you can cross from lujiazui to yu garden in one stop. Though i dont think it will be that effective in reducing line 2 load, i cannot imagine many people would travel from lujiazui to jinan temple.
Oh it'll provide relief alright.

Folks from Line 11 will be able to change at Zhenru for the 14 to go to People's Square and Lujiazui instead of all pile on Line 2 at Jiangsu Lu, and likewise those from Line 7 at Jing'an Temple. From the eastern end those from Lines 6 and 9 will also have Line 14 as the extra option for heading into town.

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram