daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #3321
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 810

I have posted that video about 8 months ago.
Since we are talking about Line 16, I providing the link to the video again.

dewlin07 liked this post
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2014, 11:41 PM   #3322
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

And line 16 doesn't reach Longyang Lu yet. I read somewhere this extension would open this year, along with a line 13 extension to Changshou Lu, with the section to Changqing Lu as well as the remainder of line 12 opening in 2015. Is this correct? Anyway, I remember that all of this was supossed to be ready by 2012...
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2014, 06:15 AM   #3323
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18132

City buses add new broadcast system
Shanghai Daly Excerpt
October 15, 2014

More than 10,000 public buses will be equipped with an automatic broadcasting system by the end of the year, according to Shanghai’s main bus operator.

The system uses GPS and will broadcast the next stop automatically, allowing drivers to concentrate on driving. Drivers currently have to press a button when approaching a stop to activate the broadcast.

Shanghai Bashi Electric Bus Company said it has been testing the system since May and has it equipped on all 780 buses in its fleet.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

FM 2258, _Night City Dream_ liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 10:30 AM   #3324
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101379

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonn341 View Post
How long does it take to travel the entire line 16?

I remember it was so hard to get to the wild animal park. The new station should make the trip much easier...
yeah^ I was in the Park in 2012 and it took quite a long time to get there by tax.

Big-dog, thanks a lot for providing pictures of Dishui lake. I absolutely must come there next time when I'm in Shanghai.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

Zaz965 liked this post
_Night City Dream_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #3325
_Night City Dream_

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
And line 16 doesn't reach Longyang Lu yet. I read somewhere this extension would open this year,
You're right. I have some pics of line 16 construction. It is underway. I'll hope to post them right here before it opens.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old October 25th, 2014, 11:30 AM   #3326
_Night City Dream_

Finally, I've done that.

Sorry for the poor quality, most of the pics were taken from Maglev train.

13 .07. 2014.

It will be nice to see races between Maglev train and trains on line 16 considereing that Maglev runs there under 200 km/h. Shanghai is turning into Tokyo bit by bit in terms of transport!

Old October 25th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #3327
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8785

Mmm, no they're still quite different, I don't think any city will get anywhere near to the 5000km of rail covering Metro Tokyo any time soon. Shanghai is Shanghai and I think their metro system looks really good and I look forward to riding it in January.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2014, 04:47 PM   #3328
saiho

Likes (Received): 1287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Mmm, no they're still quite different, I don't think any city will get anywhere near to the 5000km of rail covering Metro Tokyo any time soon. Shanghai is Shanghai and I think their metro system looks really good and I look forward to riding it in January.
Well when you think that big. The Yangtze River Delta and Pearl River Delta Mega Metros will reach that point.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2014, 05:01 PM   #3329
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
Well when you think that big. The Yangtze River Delta and Pearl River Delta Mega Metros will reach that point.
Tokyo Urban Metropolitan area covers 3,925 km2 and contains 32,542,946 people.

Yangtze River Delta area covers 99,600 km2 and contains around 140,000,000 people.

There is no comparison between these two metropolitan areas at all.

Shanghai area covers 6,340.5 km2 and contains approximately 24,150,000.

Shanghai is the best comparison, not the Yangtze River Delta area. The Tokyo metropolitan area is not as big as you think unless you include the rural portions of the area. This expands the area to around 13,500km2, but it is still nowhere near the size of the Yangtze River Delta.

This wasn't meant to be a "Tokyo is better than Shanghai" - more to point out they are still different. Shanghai is building an amazing system and I cannot wait to try it.
Old October 25th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #3330
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Tokyo Urban Metropolitan area covers 3,925 km2 and contains 32,542,946 people.

Yangtze River Delta area covers 99,600 km2 and contains around 140,000,000 people.

There is no comparison between these two metropolitan areas at all.

Shanghai is the best comparison, not the Yangtze River Delta area. The Tokyo metropolitan area is not as big as you think unless you include the rural portions of the area. This expands the area to around 13,500km2, but it is still nowhere near the size of the Yangtze River Delta.

This wasn't meant to be a "Tokyo is better than Shanghai" - more to point out they are still different. Shanghai is building an amazing system and I cannot wait to try it.
What do those Wikipedia numbers about Tokyo stand for?

Metropolis
2,187.66 km2
13,185,502 people

Metro
13,572 km2
35,682,460 people

And how your Tokyo numbers come into the picture? Where did you take them from? Edit: found it.

In either case the fundamental argument that Shanghai (city and region) has nothing to be compared to Tokyo in terms of rail transit is correct. It might take another 15-20 years for Shanghai to develop anything of a similar scale and perhaps 10-15 years for the PRD.

What does surprise me is that major cities in China do not seem to be on a hurry to develop additional heavy-rail systems. Beijing is already desperate for one. So is Shanghai. I get a general impression that situation is better in the PRD region i.e. they are building or preparing to build some commuter railways.

Last edited by Pansori; October 25th, 2014 at 06:06 PM.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #3331
Knuddel Knutsch

Likes (Received): 286

its a bit weird that there is a subway line running parallel to the maglev...including a station, that is right next to it and almost looks the same.

The question is...what are they going to do with the maglev, now that its totally obsolete.
Old October 26th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #3332
jaysonn341

Likes (Received): 334

I get the feeling line 16 was not planned when the Maglev was built? It looks like a building retrofitted to connect to the Maglev station.
jaysonn341 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #3333
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuddel Knutsch View Post
its a bit weird that there is a subway line running parallel to the maglev...including a station, that is right next to it and almost looks the same. The question is...what are they going to do with the maglev, now that its totally obsolete.
I think it was initially supposed to serve the Shanghai South Railway station and go on to Hangzhou (or Suzhou?). In any case, they opted for a conventional rail connection - because it was just as fast (10-15 minutes slower) and a bit cheaper - so the Maglev fell into a limbo.

I do think they may expand it to the Disney area, and I would hope it could go on through the southern part of Shanghai to the railway station and possibly Hongqiao.

The one curiosity to me about Shanghai's system is why the other suburban lines (9, 10, 11, 16, etc) weren't designed like 22? I often went out to Anting and having an actual railway to connect to the city would shrink the nearly one hour trip (i.e. make Jiading, Songjiang, etc a lot more viable for workers in the central districts).
Old October 26th, 2014, 08:18 PM   #3334
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:

A better comparison for Tokyo (1 capital, 3 prefectures) might be Shanghai plus Suzhou. Suzhou area is 6094 square km, population 10 578 000.

Shanghai+Suzhou would be 12 435 square km, population 34 830 000

If you look at population distribution within the 1 capital 3 prefecture of Tokyo, vs. 1 municipality 1 prefecture of Shanghai, how do they compare? Which parts of the administrative limits are countryside, which are urban?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 04:27 AM   #3335
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Luoshan Rd interchange, which was built together with Line 16 elevated tracks, opened recently after over one year's construction. I happen to work in that area and the traffic is finally back to normal now.

Quote:

_Night City Dream_ liked this post
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #3336
saiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
A better comparison for Tokyo (1 capital, 3 prefectures) might be Shanghai plus Suzhou. Suzhou area is 6094 square km, population 10 578 000.

Shanghai+Suzhou would be 12 435 square km, population 34 830 000

If you look at population distribution within the 1 capital 3 prefecture of Tokyo, vs. 1 municipality 1 prefecture of Shanghai, how do they compare? Which parts of the administrative limits are countryside, which are urban?
I would say in the whole Wuxi-Shanghai Corridor is starting to function like Tokyo. Also Svartmetall you have included a lot of Shanghai's rural areas in your size calculation.
Old October 27th, 2014, 10:20 PM   #3337
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
I would say in the whole Wuxi-Shanghai Corridor is starting to function like Tokyo. Also Svartmetall you have included a lot of Shanghai's rural areas in your size calculation.
Precisely, which is why I say that the rail extent is coming nowhere close yet. It probably will in the future, but the rail coverage over in Tokyo is extreme and completely unrivalled anywhere in the world.
Old October 28th, 2014, 12:29 AM   #3338
saiho

Quote:
Precisely, which is why I say that the rail extent is coming nowhere close yet. It probably will in the future, but the rail coverage over in Tokyo is extreme and completely unrivalled anywhere in the world.
Well like you said, you could say any city in the world doesn't have the rail extent is coming close to Tokyo. But the Wuxi-Shanghai and the Guangfo-HK/SZ corridor is the closest bets we have to anything like Tokyo in the mid future.
Old October 28th, 2014, 02:32 AM   #3339
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10650

This is really off topic now, but I think it's Greater Osaka actually.
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 07:01 AM   #3340
FNNG

Likes (Received): 2700

I think Wuxi and shuzou is already a city of their own(in term of population and size), if you force them to be included inside greater shanghai it would damage their city development and might end up to be shanghai satellite city where all the good development will focus mainly in shanghai. I also think these city is too far to be included inside greater shanghai. I think they could work together and form an economy strategic area between these city. Furthermore shanghai will be too crowded if people from these city coming in to work. I've been to shanghai twice and it is very crowded. Unlike Tokyo who have few big, famous and busy downtown area, shanghai also need to develop few more downtown area to "dissolve" the crowd in main city area.

In future population of shanghai will increase and I think might be bigger than Tokyo (maybe haha) they will need to build more line to make the city moving.
FNNG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram