daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 26th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #341
gaoanyu

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by en View Post
Seem that they use Japanese style signs now
What do you mean Japanese style signs? Any photos to compare? Thanks!
gaoanyu no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #342
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18142

So that's the circular railway station!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 11:39 PM   #343
Echang03
Chang

Likes (Received): 1

Uhhhh.....not really feeling the purple seats...lol but the stations look pretty special, like an airport.

Are these newly built?

我愛台妹

Taiwan forever
Echang03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 11:43 PM   #344
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

I love the design of this station, the big airy waiting area seems so much like an airport. That's a good thing in my opinion, it must make it a very pleasent experience waiting for a train. Train stations can often be scary places but this certainly isn't!
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #345
Kiss the Rain
WoyaoDaJb

Likes (Received): 20

Love the new station, good to see the chinese railway stations finally getting some facelift.
Old October 27th, 2006, 01:41 PM   #346
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

http://sg.biz.yahoo.com/061025/3/44ass.html

Chinese authorities will likely commission an extension to the high-speed magnetic levitation railway line built in Shanghai by Transrapid, according to the German industrial consortium behind the technology."From what we hear from our Chinese partners, a 35 kilometre (22 mile) extension is what's being planned first off," Hans-Christoph Atzpodien, a senior official at Transrapid consortium member ThyssenKrupp , said in Berlin. T

Atzpodien said the extension should link the existing 30 kilometre stretch between the city's financial centre and the Pudong airport to Shanghai's second airport Hongqiao. He added the extension should cover the Shanghai-South railway station as well as a stop for the site for the World Expo in Shanghai, which the city is due to hold in 2010. Atzpodien noted that a decision on the project, which he said would hopefully be completed by 2010, could follow soon, because it would largely be made by Shanghai alone.

Transrapid had been hoping to secure a contract to build a 200 kilometre extension, but Atzpodien said there would likely be no quick decision made on that front.
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #347
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malm÷ | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echang03 View Post
Uhhhh.....not really feeling the purple seats...lol but the stations look pretty special, like an airport.

Are these newly built?
Yes, it's all new.

In the Shanghai metro, every individual lines use a different colour of the trains (both inside and outside), and even different trains on some of the lines.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 05:56 AM   #348
kocovic

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Loon View Post
hahahaha
all the shanghainese pointed their gun toward me
you guys think that i have never been to shanghai? well i have been to most major cities of china and taken the magnetic-levitated train
u know what i mean--面子工程,a construction that is only to let the the world to praise the development of the communist in china, how stupid it is, you guys know the truth clearly, how many people take the train daily? don't tell me the bullshit like technological advancement , WTF, u shanghainese invent the magnetic-levitation? don't be that naive, even german and japanese give up to use that technology that is non-practical!

even their givernment does badly , but no people dare to complain or whatever, you guys just read the newspaper that praise your government everyday, shit

说老实话你这个人就是一陀屎,中国人中的败类
kocovic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:29 AM   #349
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 16053

Quote:
Originally Posted by google_abcd View Post
Heihei, Guangzhou is also expanding its metro length to 255km before 2009 and 650km by 2020.
Do you have a map for those 650?

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 12:30 PM   #350
nick_-_taylor
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by magz View Post
Shanghai Subway Network system by 2020
By 2010, shanghai would have more than 400 km subway network. Currently, only 100+ km.
By 2020, at least 800+ km.

This map is a little bit old, there're some minor changes since then.

1.M4: scheduled to open by the end of this year(2005).
2.R2 west extension: scheduled to open by mid of 2006.
3.M3 north extension: scheduled to open by mid of 2006.
4.L4: completed by the end of 2006.
5.M8: completed by mid of 2006.
6.R4: west part of it would be completed before 2006.
7.M7: still in construction, don't know the time to be completed.
8.M1,R3 will be started soon

So in 2020, Shanghai will have 800km of commuter railway, metro and light rail, and that there will be:

4 Commuter Railway Lines
8 Underground Lines
5 Light Railway Lines

Does anyone have exact figures for the future Shanghai network of 8 lines cause surely that isn't 800km?
nick_-_taylor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:51 PM   #351
staff
囧!

All lines on that map are metro lines. I'm not sure why they are branded differently (R/M/L etc.).
Old November 2nd, 2006, 07:06 PM   #352
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Are you sure? I thought that L lines meant light lines.

Old November 2nd, 2006, 07:18 PM   #353
nick_-_taylor
BANNED

So where do the R-Lines go? They seem to leave the map completely...are you sure that someone hasn't become confused and automatically assumed that the map is all metro when by the looks of it more looks like:

R: Regional-Commuter Trains
M: Metro
L: Light Railway

Does anyone have figures for the M lines which look more like metro lines?
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:29 PM   #354
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

As far as I know, there're planned over 800 km. Around 50% underground, the rest are communter and light rail lines. However, not every line has been added to the map yet since they're still under study. Plus, these 800 km don't include the maglev.

More maps

Red= Underground
Green= Light
Blue= Regional (some parts are underground)
Orange= Maglev (approved extension not drawn)

Old November 3rd, 2006, 01:28 AM   #355
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

I used to think that the planned Shanghai network was really gonna be amazing, but now it just looks terribly lame. The fact that theres only gonna be 800 km when u include the commuter rails is just pitiful. Tokyo and NYC both have well over 2000 km when u include commuter rails and subways. The coverage is very sparse in the plans and there is a lack of legit local/express four track service. The network better not end up like this
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 02:08 AM   #356
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Come one, they'll build more lines after this map becomes a reality. Shanghai subway was opened in 1995!

Old November 3rd, 2006, 06:13 AM   #357
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

Likes (Received): 21

@ z0rg

If Shanghai wants to become an Alpha World City like Tokyo, New York, Paris, and London it has to build more than just 700 km of new railway lines!
Old November 3rd, 2006, 08:07 AM   #358
staff
囧!

z0rg,
None of these L-lines exist today, so I guess we'd have to wait. I'm sure it will be heavy rail though.

Nick Taylor,
You could think that, but it's not the case. I live on top of a station serving three lines, and all of them are heavy rail Metro. One of them, which is completely underground and one of the main metro lines in Shanghai (the number 2, going from east to west), is strangely enough labeled as an R-line in the map above.

The R1 line on this map is the busiest, first built and main metro line in Shanghai.

The L lines (none of them exist as of today) could be planned LRT lines though, but I higly doubt it.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 06:40 PM   #359
nick_-_taylor
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
z0rg,
None of these L-lines exist today, so I guess we'd have to wait. I'm sure it will be heavy rail though.

Nick Taylor,
You could think that, but it's not the case. I live on top of a station serving three lines, and all of them are heavy rail Metro. One of them, which is completely underground and one of the main metro lines in Shanghai (the number 2, going from east to west), is strangely enough labeled as an R-line in the map above.

The R1 line on this map is the busiest, first built and main metro line in Shanghai.

The L lines (none of them exist as of today) could be planned LRT lines though, but I higly doubt it.
I'm not disputing the fact that the Shanghai network is growing rapidly (although for the city its size it should have been done earlier and on an even larger scale). Yet 800km when you include commuter rail (and light rail) doesn't sound as impressive as the original statement made about it all being metro lines does it! By the looks of it R1 would appear to be a lot like an RER line than a proper metro line what with the extensions that would appear to be going to the far south and north would illustrate this fact. Yet I dread to imagine what it will be like with all those extensions if its already seriously overcrowded. Also having an "L" for the line would probably indicate that its a light-rail line or a system a lot like say the DLR.

800km over some 7,000km▓ is a start, but theres going to have to be lots more if Shanghai really wants to compare to other cities in terms of size of heavy rail and thats even before you factor in the population! Good work though.

Do you have however the figures for all built, u/c and proposed route lengths for the combined M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, M6, M7 and M8? Although by the looks of it M3 & M4 share route length for some time?

Old November 3rd, 2006, 06:48 PM   #360
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Constructing over 70 km a year is a good number. I hope they were even faster, but it's okay. Guangzhou is constructing close to 100 km yearly I think.

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram