daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 18th, 2016, 01:51 PM   #3641
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6908

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiadetie View Post
The blue "停" ("stop" in Chinese)sign helps the driver to stop the train at a right position .
No ATO?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2016, 04:28 AM   #3642
dixiadetie

Likes (Received): 798

In the rush hour they use ATO for accurate stop and for high frequency .Then in the off peak hours . The trains will be driven by the drivers .

metr0p0litain liked this post
dixiadetie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2016, 10:25 AM   #3643
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
In the rush hour they use ATO for accurate stop and for high frequency .Then in the off peak hours . The trains will be driven by the drivers .
Why can't it be used at all times?

Also did Shanghai metro frequencies improve since 2014? I remember the chaos at one of the lines in People's Square when at around 6p.m. the platforms and trains were hopelessly overcrowded (to a hazardous level if you ask me) yet train frequency was every 5 minutes or so instead of being every 1 minute as it normally should be.
Old July 20th, 2016, 01:52 PM   #3644
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1138

Shanghai Metro is quite going satisfactorily, and covers almost the entire Shanghai. This is very good that all main streets are now served by subway system, and makes a dense grid. Today this is the largest metro network of the world.

Massive construction is going. A number of new lines and extensions are under construction. Those are –

1) Line 5 will be extended to western Shanghai.
2) Line 8 will be extended to southern Shanghai.
3) Line 9 will be extended to northeastern Shanghai.
4) Line 10 will be extended to northeastern Shanghai.
5) Line 13 will be extended to southeastern Shanghai.
6) Line 14 will connect the eastern and western Shanghai.
7) Line 15 will connect the northwestern and southern Shanghai.
8) Line 17 will connect the northeastern and southeastern Beijing in 2019.
9) Line 18 will connect northcentral and southeastern Shanghai
10) Line 19 will connect the eastern and northeastern Shanghai crossing the sea.
11) Line 20 will connect the northwestern and western Shanghai.
12) Line 21 will connect the northcentral and westcentral Shanghai.

Around 2025, Shanghai Metro network will be more than 1000Km, long.

Zaz965, Tågälskaren liked this post
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2016, 03:04 PM   #3645
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
Shanghai Metro is quite going satisfactorily, and covers almost the entire Shanghai. This is very good that all main streets are now served by subway system, and makes a dense grid. Today this is the largest metro network of the world.

Massive construction is going. A number of new lines and extensions are under construction. Those are –

8) Line 17 will connect the northeastern and southeastern Beijing in 2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
10) Line 19 will connect the eastern and northeastern Shanghai crossing the sea.
11) Line 20 will connect the northwestern and western Shanghai.
12) Line 21 will connect the northcentral and westcentral Shanghai.
I guess you haven't seen the revised plans yet. They have introduced new lines from 19 to 25, including the return of line 22. What was line 19 was changed to a commuter rail line and what were lines 20 and 21 were chopped into several sections and given to new lines.

Additional forumers that liked this post: Ashis Mitra, ChuckScraperMiami#1, geometarky, ukraroad
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Last edited by CNGL; July 26th, 2016 at 11:13 AM.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2016, 04:27 PM   #3646
Arnorian

Likes (Received): 14575

What is the blue line between the airports?

Zaz965, ChuckScraperMiami#1, ukraroad liked this post
Arnorian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2016, 07:54 PM   #3647
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Looks like a HSR connection between Pudong and Hongqiao airports. Long overdue imo.

Zaz965, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 04:29 AM   #3648
Zaz965
Temer Out!

Likes (Received): 27714

huge
Old July 21st, 2016, 05:09 AM   #3649
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
Looks like a HSR connection between Pudong and Hongqiao airports. Long overdue imo.
Wasn't there meant to be a 160km/h line connecting the airports?
Old July 21st, 2016, 08:51 PM   #3650
Ashis Mitra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post

I guess you haven't seen the revised plans yet. They have introduced new lines from 19 to 25, including the return of line 22. What was line 19 was changed to a commuter rail line and what were lines 20 and 21 were chopped into several sections and given to new lines.
Wow, thank you for the information

Tågälskaren liked this post
Old July 23rd, 2016, 03:56 PM   #3651
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

Shanghai will be New York in China.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 04:52 PM   #3652
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmartman View Post
Shanghai will be New York in China.
It's pretty uncanny if you think about it. Shanghai is New York. Hangzhou is Philadelphia, while Nanjing is Boston. Between Nanjing and Shanghai, you have your Suzhou/Stamford, Wuxi/Bridgeport, Changzhou/New Haven and Zhenjiang/Providence. It's not only that Shanghai will be New York, but the Yangtze River Delta will be the Tri-state Area in China.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 05:30 PM   #3653
ddes

Likes (Received): 925

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
It's labelled as "Airport Express", not specifically referring to a high-speed rail connection although there was news about a China Railways link which went nowhere. I didn't even see any indication of anything being built at Pudong Airport when I was there a few months back.

ukraroad liked this post
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2016, 09:16 PM   #3654
Ashis Mitra

I heard Shanghai is planning an 800 Km. tram network. Is it true? If yes it will be fantastic. Please give me some details about this.i.e tram map of the future system, and a description about the future network.

Old July 23rd, 2016, 10:29 PM   #3655
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

It has been reported so, although so far plans have been released for Songjiang (two lines are already U/C), the area beyond Hongqiao airport and station, and Jiading. A riverside tram running from the Bund to the Expo 2010 area is also planned. It is also known there will be at least one line of suspended monorail a la Wüppertal.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2016, 07:40 AM   #3656
dixiadetie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Why can't it be used at all times?

Also did Shanghai metro frequencies improve since 2014? I remember the chaos at one of the lines in People's Square when at around 6p.m. the platforms and trains were hopelessly overcrowded (to a hazardous level if you ask me) yet train frequency was every 5 minutes or so instead of being every 1 minute as it normally should be.
Because drivers need to keep training to be skillful .

Shanghai Metro keep upgrading the capacity in the recent years . With more trains purchased , more new lines and new facilities being built , the capacity of metro line is up . But the train still crowded in the rush hour .
You can find the frequency of each line here .

Pansori, metr0p0litain liked this post
dixiadetie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2016, 11:10 AM   #3657
SSMEX

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Because drivers need to keep training to be skillful .

Shanghai Metro keep upgrading the capacity in the recent years . With more trains purchased , more new lines and new facilities being built , the capacity of metro line is up . But the train still crowded in the rush hour .
You can find the frequency of each line here .
My experience with the Shanghai Metro is that many lines are insanely crowded during commute hours. I've never looked up the headways until now but I noticed that there's there's only three lines with sub-3 minute headways and none have headways of less than 2:15. Is there any reason for this, even with ATO?

At 2:30 headways (which is all but one line), that's 24 trains per hour. The Victoria Line in London can run 36 trains per hour and the Lexington Ave line in NYC can do 53 trains per hour, although that's combining express and local service. For a system known for its insane crowding and rapid advancement, is there a reason why no line exceeds ~24 tph?
SSMEX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2016, 09:14 PM   #3658
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMEX View Post
My experience with the Shanghai Metro is that many lines are insanely crowded during commute hours. I've never looked up the headways until now but I noticed that there's there's only three lines with sub-3 minute headways and none have headways of less than 2:15. Is there any reason for this, even with ATO?

At 2:30 headways (which is all but one line), that's 24 trains per hour. The Victoria Line in London can run 36 trains per hour and the Lexington Ave line in NYC can do 53 trains per hour, although that's combining express and local service. For a system known for its insane crowding and rapid advancement, is there a reason why no line exceeds ~24 tph?
Could it have anything to do with constraints on rolling stock? I remember hearing that this has been quite a big problem, for them, over the last several years.
Old July 25th, 2016, 06:56 AM   #3659
saiho

Likes (Received): 1285

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Could it have anything to do with constraints on rolling stock? I remember hearing that this has been quite a big problem, for them, over the last several years.
Shanghai has been a little lazy in ordering rolling stock. However, the municipal government has pledged to reduce average rush hour headways on all downtown lines to below 3 min by 2018.

phoenixboi08 liked this post
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2016, 11:36 PM   #3660
Ashis Mitra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
It has been reported so, although so far plans have been released for Songjiang (two lines are already U/C), the area beyond Hongqiao airport and station, and Jiading. A riverside tram running from the Bund to the Expo 2010 area is also planned. It is also known there will be at least one line of suspended monorail a la Wüppertal.
What type of those lines will be? Like present Translohr? or traditional steel wheel with overhead wire?

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram