daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old August 20th, 2017, 08:33 PM   #3781
CNGL
Leudimin
 
CNGL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Huesca
Posts: 7,447
Likes (Received): 1931

1) I swear I've already answered this before. It was announced so, but they are disclosing the plans step by step. The first two lines of Songjiang tram are U/C if not under testing, and are expected to open soon. I've also seen plans for the area beyond Hongqiao airport and station, and for Jiading, as well as the Bund tram line. Here's a map of the Songjiang tram (a traditional tram, BTW):


2) What? I don't know about any planned extension of the Zhangjiang line. It may as well be fake, much like four additional metro lines I found recently. Also, it seems you are using a translator (like I do) as you have mentioned several non-existent roads such as "Osmanthus Road" which would be Guihua Road (In this case it's 桂花 as opposed to 规划 which I've encountered so many times I already know it means "planning"), but that is to the South, not West, of Zhangjiang Gaoke.

As for questions 5, 6 and 7, you can also check Baidu Street View. Here the Baidu car is running right on the (rubber-tyred) tram track, so that answers question number 5. It also appears all stops are tram stations (however I still call them stops as no buildings are in sight) on the middle of the roads.
__________________
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2017, 08:43 PM   #3782
saiho
Registered User
 
saiho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 多伦多/多倫多
Posts: 1,357
Likes (Received): 1286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post


1) I heard in future tram will be expanded vastly like today’s metro, and it will create an 800Km network (just unbelievable, but not impossible in Shanghai and China!). Is it true? If yes, please write some details about the future planning, and if possible, give me some English maps and English websites about the future extensions.

2) I heard about an extension of the current network. The next phase of the project is the Zhangjiang tram division multiple-phase construction, a project in the east Greenfield Road, from Zu Chong Zhi Road (Shanghai Metro Line 2 Zhangjiang Hi-tech station), west to Osmanthus Road Autumn Road, which covers a distance of about 10 km, with a total of 15 stops, 1 depot. It will be followed by an extension in the direction of Tang Zhen-Qing. Could anyone show it details with map?
There is a proposal for 5 lines in the Jiading District North west in Shanghai.


2020 masterplan of the Songjiang Tram



there are also proposals for some lines in Lingang New City (several lines), Hongqiao (loop line) and the former Expo site.
__________________

Ashis Mitra liked this post
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2017, 01:12 PM   #3783
Ashis Mitra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,426
Likes (Received): 1138

Thanks for the answers, but the above maps are in Chinese, which I could not translate, could anyone post an English version? Also the old tram maps termini name I still have not found.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2017, 01:16 PM   #3784
Ashis Mitra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,426
Likes (Received): 1138

Shanghai metro is the best and strong metro network in not only in Aisa, but also in the world. which has crisscrossed not only the entire city are, but also connected the satellite townships. It could be easily called the big brother of the world metro. It currently has 14 lines— Line 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, & 16. A dense network in core city area, and also a good extension towards outer area, made it a very good transportation. The network is mostly underground. All lines are connected with each others, which strengthens the entire network. It is a very good example of a strong metro network. For this reason, most people of the city uses metro, because it reaches every area of the city and suburb, so don’t they need private car. Although the population pressure is high and so at least two more metro lines are immediately needed. It is also the only metro network of the world under a single company.

A peculiarity is that line 16 uses 3rd rail, where rest of all lines uses overhead wire. Why there are two different traction system? Two different electricity system will increase maintenance cost. It is not impossible to convert the two line to overhead wire.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 01:57 AM   #3785
saiho
Registered User
 
saiho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 多伦多/多倫多
Posts: 1,357
Likes (Received): 1286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
A peculiarity is that line 16 uses 3rd rail, where rest of all lines uses overhead wire. Why there are two different traction system? Two different electricity system will increase maintenance cost. It is not impossible to convert the two line to overhead wire.
Posted 1 year ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by metr0p0litain View Post
I noticed that only line 16 uses third rails instead of overhead wires. Why? Will new lines also use third rails or will line 16 be an exception?
They wanted to reduce the visual impact of the mostly elevated line. Line 17 which is also mostly elevated will use 3rd rail too. But other lines such as Line 14,15 and 18 which are underground will use overhead lines.
__________________

Ashis Mitra liked this post
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 11:15 AM   #3786
doc7austin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 380
Likes (Received): 809

Quote:
It is a very good example of a strong metro network.
I do not agree. What Shanghai lacks are express lines that cover large distances with fewer stops (something like a RER in Paris, RE in German cities, National Rail in London). It takes you almost half a day to get from one end of the network to another one.
__________________

Silly_Walks liked this post
doc7austin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2017, 10:52 PM   #3787
drunkenmunkey888
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 921
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7austin View Post
I do not agree. What Shanghai lacks are express lines that cover large distances with fewer stops (something like a RER in Paris, RE in German cities, National Rail in London). It takes you almost half a day to get from one end of the network to another one.
Correct, it is not feasible for commuters to be living in Anting or Qingpu because the metro takes way to long. Creating express lines would make it much more feasible to commute from Shanghai suburbs
drunkenmunkey888 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 06:06 AM   #3788
drunkenmunkey888
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 921
Likes (Received): 53

Speaking of express and suburban trains, apparently Shanghai's planning a sizeable suburban rail network that has completely slipped under the radar of English language sources:

Shanghai suburban rail Chinese wikipedia page

None of this has a corresponding English wikipedia page, nor could I find any English language news sources about this network. Has anyone else heard about this? I also came across the Hutong railway, but I'm not sure if this is designed as an actual commuter rail that feasibly allows people to commute from Nantong on a daily basis or is it more of an intercity railway.
drunkenmunkey888 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 12:13 PM   #3789
CNGL
Leudimin
 
CNGL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Huesca
Posts: 7,447
Likes (Received): 1931

I'm well aware of the suburban rail plan, but it only covers Shanghai. Ironically enough, an English version of that article was written just two hours after your post. There are already 1.5 lines in operation, the half comes from the fact line 16 can be considered as both metro (as it's run by Shanghai Shentong Metro group) and commuter rail. The other line is the Jinshan line, formerly known as line 22 (which is now planned as a different line) which unlike line 16 is run by China Railways. Line 17 to Qingpu will also be run by Shanghai metro. It is unknown who will run the other lines. There are three lines slated for construction in the next few years:
Airport line, connecting both airports.
Chongming line, formerly known as line 19 (now attributed to the North-South line through Lujiazui)
Jiading-Minhang line, formerly part of line 17

Other planned lines:
Airport Express line
Fengxian-Pudong line
Jiading-Qingpu-Songjiang-Jinshan line
Chuansha-Nanhui-Fengxian line
Baoshan-Jiading line
Nanhui-Yangshan port line (at least what I think Nangang means)
East-West line (I hope through Renmin Guangchang)
Pudong-Lingang line (not line 16)

Existing or planned railways that will feature commuter rail service:
Shanghai-Hangzhou PDL
Shanghai-Nanjing (The regular railway, not the PDL)
Nanxiang-Hejiawan
Shanghai-Suzhou-Huzhou (a.k.a. Qingpu-Hongqiao line)
Beiyanjiang line, which I haven't identified yet.
__________________
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Ashis Mitra liked this post

Last edited by CNGL; August 26th, 2017 at 12:22 PM.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2017, 12:55 PM   #3790
Ashis Mitra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,426
Likes (Received): 1138

There are many extensions and new lines are planned. I have written a bit detail, please read it careful and answer my questions, also comment about its reality—

1) Line 2, currently the busiest line, will be extended west from Hongqiao Railway Station to East Yinggang Road. It will be a short extension. There will be two new stations—National Exhibition Centre and East Yinggang Road. I heard the construction has not still started. When it will be started, and when it will be opened for public?

2) Line 5 will be extended in two ways, in west-central from Xinjhuang to Hongqiao Railway Station, and in south from Dongchuang Road to Nanqiao Xincheng. The west-central extension is much important because it will connect three terminal station of line 1, 10 & 12. So it will be much quicker to reach those lines without going to city centre area, and then interchange with another line. Beside this, it will connect the Hongqiao Railway Station, and so extra load of line 2 and 10 will also could a bit lower. Peoples coming from Nanjing will easily get down at that station and will take metro to reach quickly to Southern Shanghai. There will be nine new stations—Miaojing Road, Li’an Road, Qixin Road, Jhongyi Road, Baonan Road, Xingjhan Road, Huqingping Highway and Yinbishan Road. In south it will cross Huangpu River by a bridge. There will be eight new stations—Jiangchuan Road, Xidu, Xiaotang, Fengpu, Hanyi Road, Wanyuan Road, Yunhe Road and Nanqiao Xincheng. It is amazing that although the west-central extension is much important, but it is progressing slowly, and southern extension is almost completed and will be opened in this year! When the west-central extension will be opened for public?

3) Line 8, will be extended south from Shendu Highway to Huijhen Road. There will be five new stations—Pujiang Tingchechang, Minrui Road, Guohua Road, Donfangyi Road and Huijhen Road. This southern extension is almost completed and will be opened in this year. However, in some website, I heard that it will be a separate suburban metro line, and through operation will not possible. Will it? Please confirm.

4) Line 9 will be extended east from Middle Yanggao Road to Caolu Railway Station. It will connect with future line 14. There will be ten new stations—Gushan Road, Biyun Road, Pingdu Road, Jinqiao, Jin’gang Road, Jinhai Road, Tanggu Road, Minlei Road, Cao Road and Caolu Railway Station. This eastern extension is almost completed and will be opened in this year.

5) Line 10 will be extended east from Xinjiangwancheng to Huangdongyi Avenue. It will connect the terminal station of line 6. It will cross Huangpu River by a tunnel. There will be four new stations—Jungong Road, Linqiao, North Pudong Road and Huangdongyi Avenue. Construction will be completed in 2018.

6) Line 13 will be extended east from Shibo Avenue to Jhangjiang Road Avenue. It will be the longest extension of Shanghai metro system. There will be seven new stations—Liuli, Xianan Road, Yanglian Road, West Lian Road, Jhongke Road, Xuelin Road & Jhangjiang Road. It will serve those areas of Jhangjiang where tram service is not present. So it will be an important route. Construction will be completed in 2018.

7) There will be a new line 14 which will be an important line running through city centre. It will run from Jinsui Road to Fengbang. It will create an alternative route of line 2 from Lujiaui to JingÂ’an Temple. If anytime an accident or anything could stop the service of line 2 via PeopleÂ’s Square, this line 14 could continue the journey. So it will be a very good and important route, and I suggest it should get the second priority. Sadly they have started the construction lately, however, construction will be completed in 2020.

8) There will be another new line 15 which will be running bypassing city centre. It will run from Gucun Park to Jijhu Hi-tech Park. In north it will meet with line 7. It will create a direct route from West Rail Station to South Rail Station. The extra load of line 11 will also reduced. Peoples coming from Nanjing will easily get down at West station and will take metro to reach quickly to Southwestern Shanghai, or to South station for continuing journey towards Hang Zhou. Alternatively the extra load of line 1 and 3 will also reduced. Peoples coming from Hang Zhou will easily get down at South station and will take metro to reach quickly to Northwestern Shanghai, or to West station for continuing journey towards Nanjing. So it will be a very good and important route, and I suggest it should get the first priority. Sadly they have started the construction lately, however, construction will be completed in 2020.

So around 2020, the subway network will be larger than now, but its main competitor is Beijing metro. Let we see which will be the final winner to be the largest metro system of the world—Shanghai or Beijing.
__________________

dimlys1994 liked this post
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 11:14 PM   #3791
Ashis Mitra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,426
Likes (Received): 1138

For improvement of our Kolkata metro system, I am comparing some information about Shanghai metro, please answer these questions— (Only the following questions I have not seen any answers about these in any website, so I am asking this)

1) Is there any system for baggage checking when entering in the station area or platform area?

2) I heard there is a plan to connect Shanghai metro with Suzhou metro and Wuxi metro. Is it true?

3) Is drinking water available in station area?

4) Do they play light music in background at station platforms?

5) Do all stations has side platforms? Or some has island platforms or both side platforms?

6) Is there any special seats for children, ladies, senior citizens and handicapped persons in both platform and inside the metro cars?

7) Is photography allowed inside station premises?
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2017, 11:59 PM   #3792
saiho
Registered User
 
saiho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 多伦多/多倫多
Posts: 1,357
Likes (Received): 1286

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Beiyanjiang line, which I haven't identified yet.
It is an intercity railway line connecting areas north of the Yangtze River such as Luhe District of Nanjing, Yangzhou, Taizhou, Nantong Etc. with Shanghai.

__________________

CNGL liked this post

Last edited by saiho; August 28th, 2017 at 12:05 AM. Reason: added map
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2017, 07:28 AM   #3793
drunkenmunkey888
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 921
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
I'm well aware of the suburban rail plan, but it only covers Shanghai. Ironically enough, an English version of that article was written just two hours after your post. There are already 1.5 lines in operation, the half comes from the fact line 16 can be considered as both metro (as it's run by Shanghai Shentong Metro group) and commuter rail. The other line is the Jinshan line, formerly known as line 22 (which is now planned as a different line) which unlike line 16 is run by China Railways. Line 17 to Qingpu will also be run by Shanghai metro. It is unknown who will run the other lines. There are three lines slated for construction in the next few years:
Airport line, connecting both airports.
Chongming line, formerly known as line 19 (now attributed to the North-South line through Lujiazui)
Jiading-Minhang line, formerly part of line 17

Other planned lines:
Airport Express line
Fengxian-Pudong line
Jiading-Qingpu-Songjiang-Jinshan line
Chuansha-Nanhui-Fengxian line
Baoshan-Jiading line
Nanhui-Yangshan port line (at least what I think Nangang means)
East-West line (I hope through Renmin Guangchang)
Pudong-Lingang line (not line 16)

Existing or planned railways that will feature commuter rail service:
Shanghai-Hangzhou PDL
Shanghai-Nanjing (The regular railway, not the PDL)
Nanxiang-Hejiawan
Shanghai-Suzhou-Huzhou (a.k.a. Qingpu-Hongqiao line)
Beiyanjiang line, which I haven't identified yet.
Thanks for your detailed reply. The wikipedia page was very helpful. It seems like Line 17 would be more like a metro because I have not heard of any express services, which are present on both Line 16 and the Jinshan Railway.

Regarding the existing or planned railways, are those legit commuter rail services (and not intercity rail)? The biggest difference I would say there is frequency and (most importantly) fare. Is it feasible for someone living along the Shanghai-Hangzhou PDL to rely on it to commute to Shanghai for work M-F? In some cases, the frequency exists, but the fares are prohibitive such as the Shanghai-Suzhou train, which goes for 39 RMB one way. Now, it would be a very different story if they had a monthly pass for a very reasonable cost.
drunkenmunkey888 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2017, 11:24 AM   #3794
CNGL
Leudimin
 
CNGL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Huesca
Posts: 7,447
Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
For improvement of our Kolkata metro system, I am comparing some information about Shanghai metro, please answer these questions— (Only the following questions I have not seen any answers about these in any website, so I am asking this)

1) Is there any system for baggage checking when entering in the station area or platform area?

2) I heard there is a plan to connect Shanghai metro with Suzhou metro and Wuxi metro. Is it true?

3) Is drinking water available in station area?

4) Do they play light music in background at station platforms?

5) Do all stations has side platforms? Or some has island platforms or both side platforms?

6) Is there any special seats for children, ladies, senior citizens and handicapped persons in both platform and inside the metro cars?

7) Is photography allowed inside station premises?
I know most of them thanks to the many photos and videos I've seen, so here are.

1) Svarmetall once showed a baggage checking area in the Jing'ansi station in one of his videos, so definitely there is.

2) You heard correctly, at least for Suzhou. Suzhou's line S1 is expected to start construction this year, and will run all the way through Kunshan and to Huaqiao at the end of line 11.

3) The only thing I don't know for sure. It appears there isn't.

4) I doesn't seem so. It is mostly announcements of next train, in literal Chinese of course.

5) Well, I've said many times that most metro stations through China are island platforms. Exceptions exist, such as the ground level and surface stations of line 1, which are mostly (if not all) side platforms.

6) It appears there are no reserved seats. But again, I wouldn't be surprised if there are. Scrap this, I remembered seeing photos of newer trains where the extremes of the seats are colored differently, and these are the reserved seats.

7) This is China. So nobody won't bother if you take photos in the network.

Also, line 5 won't extend to Hongqiao Huochezhan. That section has become part of Jiading-Minhang line, opening sometime before 2025.

And now that I've answered (or at least attempted to answer) these questions, I'm very pleased to make you the inaugural member of my ignored users list .
__________________
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

dimlys1994, tokyo-hypa, dbhaskar liked this post

Last edited by CNGL; August 29th, 2017 at 05:01 PM.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2017, 08:26 AM   #3795
_Night City Dream_
Registered User
 
_Night City Dream_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 19,059
Likes (Received): 101379

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7austin View Post
I do not agree. What Shanghai lacks are express lines that cover large distances with fewer stops (something like a RER in Paris, RE in German cities, National Rail in London). It takes you almost half a day to get from one end of the network to another one.
RER in Paris is almost exactly the same as Shanghai metro in terms of distances and EMU lengths lol.

Th point is that Paris, London etc are tiny villages in front of Shanghai.
__________________
Big Cities is one of the major inventions by human beings

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库


Ashis Mitra, Zaz965 liked this post
_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 10:36 PM   #3796
_Night City Dream_
Registered User
 
_Night City Dream_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 19,059
Likes (Received): 101379

What will open in Shanghai this year?
__________________
Big Cities is one of the major inventions by human beings

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库


Zaz965 liked this post
_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2017, 12:23 AM   #3797
drunkenmunkey888
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 921
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
RER in Paris is almost exactly the same as Shanghai metro in terms of distances and EMU lengths lol.

Th point is that Paris, London etc are tiny villages in front of Shanghai.
Yeah unfortunately Line 17 doesn't seem to have any express services (the way Line 16 does), which I think is the only suburban line that's opening this year. The rest seem to be extensions of existing metros plus a people mover south of Line 8. An even bigger issue with these "suburban rail" lines is that it only brings people to the edges of the city (and the "city" is a generous characterization for Longyang Road and Hongqiao Hub). If they extended these lines into People's Square, that would make commuting from suburbs far more feasible and people might actually start moving out to Nanhui New City or Qingpu.
drunkenmunkey888 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2017, 11:35 AM   #3798
_Night City Dream_
Registered User
 
_Night City Dream_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 19,059
Likes (Received): 101379

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888 View Post
Yeah unfortunately Line 17 doesn't seem to have any express services (the way Line 16 does), which I think is the only suburban line that's opening this year. The rest seem to be extensions of existing metros plus a people mover south of Line 8. An even bigger issue with these "suburban rail" lines is that it only brings people to the edges of the city (and the "city" is a generous characterization for Longyang Road and Hongqiao Hub). If they extended these lines into People's Square, that would make commuting from suburbs far more feasible and people might actually start moving out to Nanhui New City or Qingpu.
What is typed in bold is wrong.

Shanghai as a whole is way bigger than tiny part between Hongqiao and Longing Lu.

You just look that the city no way ends at Hongqiao, built-up area extends much much farther westwards.

Again, you don't have the right to compare cities like Paris or even New York to Shanghai. They are just tiny villages. And their RER and commuter lines are right the size of SHANGHAI METRO.

Express lines in Shanghai area should be BIGGER than all this childish stuff with distances between stations up to 10 km. But what for?

I guess very few people have to travel the city across from home to work.
__________________
Big Cities is one of the major inventions by human beings

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库


Zaz965 liked this post
_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2017, 05:11 PM   #3799
saiho
Registered User
 
saiho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 多伦多/多倫多
Posts: 1,357
Likes (Received): 1286

I have to agree. The area around Hongqiao and Longing Lu stations is not a People's Sq or Xujiahui but it's hardly some suburban fringe. There is already lots of urban activity in the area with many very urban developments under construction surrounding those stations.
__________________

etooley1985 liked this post
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2017, 09:07 PM   #3800
drunkenmunkey888
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 921
Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
What is typed in bold is wrong.

Shanghai as a whole is way bigger than tiny part between Hongqiao and Longing Lu.

You just look that the city no way ends at Hongqiao, built-up area extends much much farther westwards.

Again, you don't have the right to compare cities like Paris or even New York to Shanghai. They are just tiny villages. And their RER and commuter lines are right the size of SHANGHAI METRO.

Express lines in Shanghai area should be BIGGER than all this childish stuff with distances between stations up to 10 km. But what for?

I guess very few people have to travel the city across from home to work.
I can't speak for Paris, but New York has about 20-23 million people in its metropolitan area and its four densely built up urban boroughs (leaving out Staten Island, which in many ways is more similar to Jersey than the city) are comparable to the built-up area of Shanghai. If that's a tiny village, then so is Shanghai.

Okay, perhaps they're not suburban fringes, but they're still a bit impractical. That's like if the LIRR or the NJ Transit dropped you off in north Bronx or central Queens. It's technically still the city, but you still have a pretty long subway ride to get into the urban core.
drunkenmunkey888 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium