daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 13th, 2007, 05:43 AM   #481
Minato ku
Moderator
 
Minato ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Paris, Montrouge
Posts: 16,746

PED will be installated in this line.
This is the famous line 13.
550,000 passengers per day
Narrow, 5 cars train.
This line is really overcrowed due at this two branch
and the only solution is to that one of the two northern branches becaume an independent line or it would integrated in the ligne 14


And the other line the busiest of Paris: RER A with 1.1 million passengers per day.
This line has pushers in rush hours and a train all the 90's
Here are wide with 10 big cars but it is always overcrowed.



Other exemple in Chatelet-les-Halles on the RER B the second busiest line with about 800,000 passengers per day.
__________________
すみません !
J’aime Paris et je veux des tours !
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #482
iampuking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,414
Likes (Received): 43

Peh.. These rush hours don't beat the claustrophobia of being jammed up against the doors on a tube train and having to crane your neck!

image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #483
Minato ku
Moderator
 
Minato ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Paris, Montrouge
Posts: 16,746

When I see these pictures I can't agree that you said
It is nothing compared at the line 13 or RER A and B

The big problem of London is that the train and platform are so small.
__________________
すみません !
J’aime Paris et je veux des tours !
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #484
Skybean
天豆
 
Skybean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,937
Likes (Received): 271

Hong Kong: Lots of people but it's not so bad because of numerous escaltors that all operate at high speed. There are very few bottleneck situations. Also there are PSDs to prevent people from falling onto the track in most stations.



__________________
My Photos」 ● Hong Kong 1|2|3 ● Macau 1 ● London 1 ● New York City 1
Photo Threads」 ● Flying Over Hong KongCity Life Series」 ● Hong KongShanghaiSeoulTokyo
Skybean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #485
samsonyuen
SSLL
 
samsonyuen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canary Wharf > CityPlace
Posts: 8,350
Likes (Received): 314

Every nine minutes? THat's crazy!
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #486
Minato ku
Moderator
 
Minato ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Paris, Montrouge
Posts: 16,746

I agree it is really stupid.
__________________
すみません !
J’aime Paris et je veux des tours !
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #487
iampuking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,414
Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato ku View Post
When I see these pictures I can't agree that you said
It is nothing compared at the line 13 or RER A and B

The big problem of London is that the train and platform are so small.
I never doubted that... there are systems in places like Tokyo and of course Paris that are MUCH worse.

Its just you feel more cramped in a smaller train.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #488
elkram
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 337
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
being jammed up against the doors on a tube train and having to crane your neck!
I've sometimes had to remind myself of that aspect of commuting to clear my mind of moments too aggravating crowded into the metro here . . . I easily remember spying tall men curling up into the tube ceilings there, being stuck like that myself heading somewhere couldn't have been as bad for me.
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #489
ckm
Registered User
 
ckm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Flying
Posts: 4,090
Likes (Received): 156

Where can I check the number of passengers of each line in Paris?

I thought L4 was one of the busiest with L13. I guess L1 must be on the top also.

I usually take L3, L8 and L9 and they are not very busy (specially L8, you can always get a seat).
ckm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #490
iampuking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,414
Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkram View Post
I've sometimes had to remind myself of that aspect of commuting to clear my mind of moments too aggravating crowded into the metro here . . . I easily remember spying tall men curling up into the tube ceilings there, being stuck like that myself heading somewhere couldn't have been as bad for me.
I don't find it that bad personally, I use a deep level tube line everyday and i've lived with it all my life... guess i'm used to it though. Sometimes it's good to have somewhere to rest your head on!

My only complaint is unreliable service and the heat at this time of the year.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 03:21 AM   #491
Minato ku
Moderator
 
Minato ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Paris, Montrouge
Posts: 16,746

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckm View Post
Where can I check the number of passengers of each line in Paris?

I thought L4 was one of the busiest with L13. I guess L1 must be on the top also.

I usually take L3, L8 and L9 and they are not very busy (specially L8, you can always get a seat).
I said the number of passenger per average workday because the traffic in some line is a lot higher in workday.
The RER A is empty in the weekends but crowed on workdays.

Here you can find the data of 2004

L8 are one of least busy line of Paris metro for its size with only 89,100,000 pax for 37 stations and 22.1 km / 13.8 miles, It is the line that look the most at London underground : a medium traffic, a long line, a section at the ground.

L9 are busy but not overcrowed like the line 4 or 13 : 116,200,000 pax for 37 stations and 19.6 km / 12.2 miles

L3 and L3bis have 87,600,000 pax for 25 stations 11.7 km / 7.3 miles and line 3bis, 4 station 1.3 km / 0.8 miles but I highly doubt that the traffic of the line 3bis is over 10,000,000

I agree with you those line are not really that I call overcrowed.
__________________
すみません !
J’aime Paris et je veux des tours !
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #492
ckm
Registered User
 
ckm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Flying
Posts: 4,090
Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato ku View Post
I said the number of passenger per average workday because the traffic in some line is a lot higher in workday.
The RER A is empty in the weekends but crowed on workdays.

Here you can find the data of 2004

L8 are one of least busy line of Paris metro for its size with only 89,100,000 pax for 37 stations and 22.1 km / 13.8 miles, It is the line that look the most at London underground : a medium traffic, a long line, a section at the ground.

L9 are busy but not overcrowed like the line 4 or 13 : 116,200,000 pax for 37 stations and 19.6 km / 12.2 miles

L3 and L3bis have 87,600,000 pax for 25 stations 11.7 km / 7.3 miles and line 3bis, 4 station 1.3 km / 0.8 miles but I highly doubt that the traffic of the line 3bis is over 10,000,000

I agree with you those line are not really that I call overcrowed.
Thanks!

I find strange the "The Top 20 busiest metro stations"; for instance Belleville is busier than Strasbourg-St Denis or Opera (I would never have thought that), and even Châtelet and Les Halles combined are not the busiest one.
ckm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #493
Minato ku
Moderator
 
Minato ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Paris, Montrouge
Posts: 16,746

Because that list is the busiest stations by direct entrance It not include the passengers who change in the stations.

In fact Strasbourg-St Denis or Opera are a lot busier than Belleville but Belleville has more direct entrance that these stations.

Belleville has a very high residencial density and this district is not very rich.
with a big population of worker.
__________________
すみません !
J’aime Paris et je veux des tours !
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #494
iampuking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,414
Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato ku View Post
L8 are one of least busy line of Paris metro for its size with only 89,100,000 pax for 37 stations and 22.1 km / 13.8 miles, It is the line that look the most at London underground : a medium traffic, a long line, a section at the ground.
Considering the Central, District, Northern, Piccadilly and Victoria lines all carry more passengers per annum then the Paris Metro's busiest line, I find it hard to believe that they have "medium traffic".
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #495
Minato ku
Moderator
 
Minato ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Paris, Montrouge
Posts: 16,746

Wrong Victoria as the same traffic of the line 1 but the line 1 is smaller than Victoria line.

Northern line lenght is 58 km
Picaddilly line lenght is 71 km
District line lenght is 64 km
Central line lenght is 74 km
The longest line of Paris metro is only 22.5 km
Victoria line lenght is 21 km for 161,319,000 (2006) 7,695,238/km
line 1 of Paris metro lenght is 16.6 km for 161,600,000 (2004) 9,734,940/km

Bakerloo line has 95,947,000 pax (2006) for 23.3 km : 4,117,897/km
Line 8 has 89,100,000 pax (2004) for 22.1 km : 4,031,674/km
These line are comparable

That's why London underground transports 1 billion passengers (2006) for 408km and Paris metro transports 1.375 billion passengers (2005) for 211 km
Paris metro = 6,516,588/km
London underground = 2,450,980/km

Conclusion, the Barkerloo line are above the average of London underground but the line 8 is below the average of Paris metro
__________________
すみません !
J’aime Paris et je veux des tours !

Last edited by Minato ku; June 14th, 2007 at 11:21 PM.
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #496
iampuking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,414
Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato ku View Post
Wrong Victoria as the same traffic of the line 1 but the line 1 is smaller than Victoria line.

Northern line lenght is 58 km
Picaddilly line lenght is 71 km
District line lenght is 64 km
Central line lenght is 74 km
The longest line of Paris metro is only 22.5 km
Victoria line lenght is 21 km for 161,319,000 (2006) 7,695,238/km
line 1 of Paris metro lenght is 16.6 km for 161,600,000 (2004) 9,734,940/km

Bakerloo line has 95,947,000 pax (2006) for 23.3 km : 4,117,897/km
Line 8 has 89,100,000 pax (2004) for 22.1 km : 4,031,674/km
These line are comparable

That's why London underground transports 1 billion passengers (2006) for 408km and Paris metro transports 1.375 billion passengers (2005) for 211 km
Paris metro = 6,516,588/km
London underground = 2,450,980/km

Conclusion, the Barkerloo line are above the average of London underground but the line 8 is below the average of Paris metro
You're right if you take into account the passengers per kph, but you never specified whether or not you were talking about passengers per kph or overall passengers in your original post.

In terms of maths you're probably right, but experiencing The Tube on an almost daily basis I find it odd that the Paris Metro has higher traffic volumes yet has shorter trains and shorter routes... When the Central/Victoria line is usually crowded all day on the weekdays and nearly all of Saturday.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:09 AM   #497
Minato ku
Moderator
 
Minato ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Paris, Montrouge
Posts: 16,746

Yes, but Paris metro trains are bigger than Tube stocks.
It has shorter trains but Tube stocks are smaller.

The Victoria line can look busier than the line 1 because the size of the trains.
__________________
すみません !
J’aime Paris et je veux des tours !
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 02:21 AM   #498
iampuking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,414
Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato ku View Post
Yes, but Paris metro trains are bigger than Tube stocks.
It has shorter trains but Tube stocks are smaller.

The Victoria line can look busier than the line 1 because the size of the trains.
Do you know how many cars per train per line on the Paris Metro? I'm interested. There is no "Ask the Paris Metroman" for this kind of question...

Also, The Sub Surface stock is usually crowded through the day (especially in tourist spots like Westminster, Baker Street and Tower Hill...) so I don't see size being an issue.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #499
FM 2258
Registered User
 
FM 2258's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Austin
Posts: 5,438
Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI View Post
Rush hours in Milan are the same: in some stations (e.g. Cadorna) platforms are so crowded and trains so packed that many people can't get on the train and have to wait the next one. And trains on rush hours run every 90 seconds
This happens every morning


Hell, when I was in Rome in May I so trains so packed I waited for the next one that was packed and shoved myself in. Love Rome.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 04:13 AM   #500
Minato ku
Moderator
 
Minato ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Paris, Montrouge
Posts: 16,746

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Do you know how many cars per train per line on the Paris Metro? I'm interested. There is no "Ask the Paris Metroman" for this kind of question...

Also, The Sub Surface stock is usually crowded through the day (especially in tourist spots like Westminster, Baker Street and Tower Hill...) so I don't see size being an issue.
6 cars per train for the line 1, 4 and 14
5 cars per train for the line 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12 and 13
4 cars per train for the line 11
3 cars per tain for the line 3bis and 7bis

I know that it is less than a tube.
But tube are small
image hosted on flickr


Like all the subway lines it is crowed in rush hours especially in the central section, because the size, two subways can be more or less crowed with the same number of passengers.
__________________
すみません !
J’aime Paris et je veux des tours !
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium