daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 25th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #581
napkcirtap

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaboyUSA View Post
Shanghai will have express services, I think that the cities of China have their own features. All is good, and it is great to see that China is catching up the States in a different way. Unity in diversity.
really? on which line?
napkcirtap no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2007, 10:07 AM   #582
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888 View Post
I have asked this before in other posts but my question has not been addressed. Will there be any plans for four-track express service on the Shanghai metro? I mean a relative of mine living in Baoshan was complaining about how long it took to get from Xujiahui to Baoyang Rd. on Line 3. For such a distance, (40km, no?) wouldn't it be logical to have express service? Seeing as how Shanghai's lines are incredibly long, why do they not build a four track express setup, or the very least, 3 track setup with peak-direction express service?
Baoyang Rd and Xujiahui are not even on the same line, a transfer from line 3 to line 1 must be made either at Shanghai Rail-way Station or Shanghai South Rail-way Station where Line 3 and 1 intercept with each other. I rode the entire length of line 3 once during my trip to Shanghai in February, the 39km route from Jiangyang Rd N. to Shanghai South Rail-way Station took about 65 minutes. I think no other mode of transportation in Shanghai can surpass it.
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #583
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Okay, my mistake. But you're missing the point. But for a length of 39 km, don't you think that it would be logical to have four lane express service in there? That way the time could possibly be cut to under 50 minutes. People who haven't been to NYC or London can't appreciate the beauty of four lane express service.

btw, are there any plans to extend service hours? I mean 10pm is a bit ridiculous. Are operators trying to discourage metro use? At least make it 1am, though I think a city of Shanghai's size needs 24 hour service.
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #584
napkcirtap

Quote:

Okay, my mistake. But you're missing the point. But for a length of 39 km, don't you think that it would be logical to have four lane express service in there? That way the time could possibly be cut to under 50 minutes. People who haven't been to NYC or London can't appreciate the beauty of four lane express service.

btw, are there any plans to extend service hours? I mean 10pm is a bit ridiculous. Are operators trying to discourage metro use? At least make it 1am, though I think a city of Shanghai's size needs 24 hour service.
10pm, because of nimbys. they protest to the noise that els make, complaining that they can't sleep. so the last train is sometime around 10.

no express service on any line because a) they didn't build it back then, there was never such planning in the beginning. b) they surveyed people about running reverse express trains during peak hours in suburbs in order to increase the frequency of service along line 1 northern extension. but ppl simply opposed, and though it was only a small fraction who boarded the train outbound during rush hours, the subway agency never succeeded in even testing express service along long-length lines

Last edited by napkcirtap; October 29th, 2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old October 29th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #585
drunkenmunkey888

Thats interesting. Where did you find this information because I'd like to do some research for myself. Would you happen to know why they would oppose having express service? Its an amazing thing, I dunno how people can live if they have to suffer through every stop. On the other hand, the distance between Shanghai metro stops are enormous aren't they? The distance between NYC stops are usually a comfortable walking distance.
Old October 29th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #586
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

depends on which stops..some are relatively short and some are huge. Shanghai has a huge huge urban area
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 11:18 PM   #587
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:

Eh?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #588
drunkenmunkey888

Doesn't London have express service on the Picadilly and Metropolitan lines? Am I mistaken to believe that its the same four track setup as NYC?
Old October 30th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #589
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

For a few stations, NR services mirror tube lines in several places as well. See here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1106.aspx
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #590
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

Likes (Received): 8

Talk about 24 hour metro service, I think that only NYC's metro gets to the point so far, simply because the service has long been a part of the metro and passengers get used to that. But I am somewhat confused by the cities like Tokyo and Shanghai that doesn't have the 24 hour metro service as they have the same scale urban area of NYC, or even bigger. In term of express line, in my perception, it has the similar effect by having several levels of metro lines either underground or above, also by same direction's (with exchange stations) metro lines but in different distances between stations.

Last edited by ChinaboyUSA; October 30th, 2007 at 07:46 AM.
ChinaboyUSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #591
napkcirtap

When the northern extension of line one opened, train intervals where twelve minutes, they did '' power runs'' on trains, which were express operations, it was quite common during rush hour, but ppl simply complained about the express service, so every train had to stop at all stations.
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #592
drunkenmunkey888

My understanding is that "power runs" are where a train skips a number of stops right? But that isn't real express service. Of course people will object to that because its frustrating to see a train pass on a station and it also screws up the intervals and increases waiting time. I was referring to real four track express service where the intervals on the local tracks are the same as that on the express tracks.

@ ChinaboyUSA,
Are you thinking about something like the metro, RER, and light rail? I suppose that can work but my objection to that is that generally the price for RER would be more expensive, no? It will discourage the use of faster systems. I mean NYC has different levels of metro too if you include Metro North, LIRR, and NJ Transit but the subway still has four-track express service.
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:23 AM   #593
micro

Likes (Received): 106

New photo page about Shanghai's metro, Maglev, and sightseeing tunnel
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 11:57 PM   #594
micro

Does anybody know which station this is?:

At first I thought it's People's Square but I'm not sure.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:46 PM   #595
YelloPerilo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
Does anybody know which station this is?:

At first I thought it's People's Square but I'm not sure.

That's an old picture of Renmin Guangchang station. The decoration has been removed since construction of a new metro line.
YelloPerilo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:58 PM   #596
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

old picture :p
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 01:16 AM   #597
micro

The photo is from 15 January 2006.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 01:58 AM   #598
YelloPerilo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
The photo is from 15 January 2006.
But you do know the speed of changes in China, don't you?
YelloPerilo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 09:38 AM   #599
drunkenmunkey888

Yeah... so fast that they still refuse to implement four track express service in their subways
Old November 3rd, 2007, 02:00 PM   #600
ddes

Likes (Received): 928

I think that the problem of express trains in Shanghai is that as the city is growing fast, it is hard to predict which stations will have higher traffic to warrant a selection of express train stations.

I see Shanghai Metro doing a Tokyo Metro instead. More and more lines will be added, to relieve crowds and provide 'express' services rather than building on existing lines in service/under construction.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram