daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #661
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3653

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarkdom View Post
So,
2012: Shanghai has world's largest
2015: Beijing has world's largest

Guangzhou will be 2nd largest or somewhere behind...

It's really amazing that China has taken to commuting by metro so quick. Although I doubt the metro network will actually take pressure off the road networks even though the subway system may be packed...
I think:

2012: Shanghai, Beijing and Guangzhou.
2015: Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou.
2020: Shanghai, Beijing and Guangzhou.
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #662
xote
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Absolutely breath taking the rapid nature of subway expansion in Shanghai. This makes metro construction in Madrid seem slow by comparison!

If only my New York City subway would have at least one tenth of the ambition of the Shanghai metro.

xote no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #663
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

The New York City transportation system has well over 2000 km's of rail in operation. It has three different types of commuter rail, the Metro North, the Long Island Railroad, and NJ Transit. It has a number of smaller rail lines like Staten Island Railway, JFK airport skytrain, and PATH Train. This is all in addition to the second largest subway system in the world, which offers FOUR TRACK EXPRESS SERVICE! Even in 2020 when all of Shanghai's lines are built, it won't even come close to the complexity, convenience, or scale of NYC's rail transportation network. The planners in Shanghai must realize that they need to build express subway service, thorough commuter lines, and light rail/monorail to fill in the gaps, which don't get me wrong, i really hope they do. I mean imagine going from Chongming or Fengxian to downtown and the train needs to stop at EVERY stop. A relative of mine who needed to go from Baoshan to downtown on Line 3 everyday complains about how slow and inconvenient it is because of lack of express service (he has been to NYC too, so he can appreciate this). I really am not a big fan of Shanghai's future plans at the moment.

Last edited by drunkenmunkey888; December 12th, 2007 at 07:22 PM.
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #664
snow is red
Vicky Pollard lol

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by xote View Post
Absolutely breath taking the rapid nature of subway expansion in Shanghai. This makes metro construction in Madrid seem slow by comparison!

If only my New York City subway would have at least one tenth of the ambition of the Shanghai metro.

I think New York has a very great Metro network with world class standards as well .
snow is red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #665
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3653

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888 View Post

The New York City transportation system has well over 2000 km's of rail in operation. It has three different types of commuter rail, the Metro North, the Long Island Railroad, and NJ Transit. It has a number of smaller rail lines like Staten Island Railway, JFK airport skytrain, and PATH Train. This is all in addition to the second largest subway system in the world, which offers FOUR TRACK EXPRESS SERVICE! Even in 2020 when all of Shanghai's lines are built, it won't even come close to the complexity, convenience, or scale of NYC's rail transportation network. The planners in Shanghai must realize that they need to build express subway service, thorough commuter lines, and light rail/monorail to fill in the gaps, which don't get me wrong, i really hope they do. I mean imagine going from Chongming or Fengxian to downtown and the train needs to stop at EVERY stop. A relative of mine who needed to go from Baoshan to downtown on Line 3 everyday complains about how slow and inconvenient it is because of lack of express service (he has been to NYC too, so he can appreciate this). I really am not a big fan of Shanghai's future plans at the moment.
Yes, but rail is NOT the same as metro.
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #666
drunkenmunkey888

But Shanghai's "metro" is also doubling as a commuter rail. It would comprise the entire rail transport system for Shanghai. It wouldn't be fair to compare the entire system to only a fifth of NYC's rail system. The subway is only one of 5 different rail networks.
Old December 14th, 2007, 04:49 AM   #667
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

it is time to add some more lines to shanghai..the metro 1 and 2 now is absolutely crowded with people during the rush hours!!!

i was almost killed on line 1 @ 5:00 the other day. trust me, there was like 6 people per meter squared!!
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #668
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

To be honest I lived in new york for just a mount but used metro almost everyday and i hate it. It is true you can go from one place to almost everywhere but man.... it is very very very dirty and old. Moreover it is not that fast at all. For some lanes there are express ones but still it is not enough. Actually this is a general cultural problem of America. Nobaody can walk for one block they have to be transported... stops are tooo often. If I should define NYC metro, there is one word: old
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #669
brisbanite

Likes (Received): 450

The growth in rail infrastructure in China is staggering! It takes years of surveys and studies before we get a new public toilet in Brisbane let alone hundreds of km's of metro lines.
brisbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #670
Kenwen
Mosher "K"

Likes (Received): 131

why movin off someone out of the road is bad thing, so if China tryin 2 do somethin, it is always worst than d west for nething, d west build a rubbish bin is better than nethin china made, y ppl use chinese stuff so much neway,lol, some ppl just jealous of chinese growth, since we hav 4times d population of usa, one day we would hav nething 4times of usa, keep bashin china ppl, nothin can stop chinese from growing 2 most important country in d world
Kenwen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #671
drunkenmunkey888

Quote:
To be honest I lived in new york for just a mount but used metro almost everyday and i hate it. It is true you can go from one place to almost everywhere but man.... it is very very very dirty and old. Moreover it is not that fast at all. For some lanes there are express ones but still it is not enough. Actually this is a general cultural problem of America. Nobaody can walk for one block they have to be transported... stops are tooo often. If I should define NYC metro, there is one word: old
Yes it is old. NYC subway has its flaws. But its also very efficient and express service is just superb. But the reason why I bring this up is because I see lines like Line 3, 1, and 9 where they are upwards of 40 km from end to end. Also, my uncle who takes the 3 everyday from Baoshan to downtown complain about the lack of express trains (he lived in NYC for three months). Line 3 isn't that long compared to final plans for 9, 1, 2, and 11. So imagine how much of a pain in the ass the Shanghai metro would be if they didn't have four track express service. Also, whats with Shanghai metro shutting down at 10 pm? Are they going to extend it to 1 am or midnight at least? 10 pm is pretty ridiculous.
Old December 14th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #672
snow is red
Vicky Pollard lol

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwen View Post
why movin off someone out of the road is bad thing, so if China tryin 2 do somethin, it is always worst than d west for nething, d west build a rubbish bin is better than nethin china made, y ppl use chinese stuff so much neway,lol, some ppl just jealous of chinese growth, since we hav 4times d population of usa, one day we would hav nething 4times of usa, keep bashin china ppl, nothin can stop chinese from growing 2 most important country in d world
What the hell are you talking about ? Who said bad things about China in this thread ? You are just too paranoid, and you should know that China is still a developing country and she has very long way to travel
snow is red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 02:14 AM   #673
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

You actually understood what he said? What a talent!

I agree. The NYC subway can be a pain in the ass! You gotta love our express lines though. It would be great if Shanghai had some express tracks planned for the future.
Old December 15th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #674
xote
BANNED

Quote:
We R not txtng, we R writing.
Old December 15th, 2007, 03:19 AM   #675
xote
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmulder View Post
wholeheartedly agree
Old December 15th, 2007, 03:35 AM   #676
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Lol i agree that shanghai needs some express service.

last time i was taking line 4 from pudong to puxi and i just missed the train so i had to wait for 15minutes for the next subway...such a long time for waiting.

but all the other old lines (1, 2, 3) have a train every 2-3 minutes

------------------------------------

i now live in auckland, and the government wanted to build a highway across a residential area, this took 10years to plan/discuss/vote and costed millions. Now the mayor of auckland changed and the planned is simply vanished.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #677
amirtaheri

Likes (Received): 1

It's the same in the UK. It's been said that the UK has one of the most democratic planning laws in Europe, maybe the world, but this has led to some problems, ie Terminal 5 at Heathrow. Crossrail is going to take over a decade to complete, new projects for the Underground do take their time, but I guess it's a by-product of the societies we live in where all people have a right to object to certain plans where it affects them. All those people objecting means it'd take a while to go through them all!
amirtaheri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 07:45 AM   #678
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Lol i agree that shanghai needs some express service.

last time i was taking line 4 from pudong to puxi and i just missed the train so i had to wait for 15minutes for the next subway...such a long time for waiting.

but all the other old lines (1, 2, 3) have a train every 2-3 minutes
I've heard that the service will improve significantly on line 4 after the loop is completely open in a couple of weeks. I certainly hope it does, because I will use Line 4 a lot more if it does - I can avoid People's Square at rush hour that way, and that's a GOOD thing.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #679
brisbanite

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Geez mate where did that rant come from? If you were referring to my post I was pointing out that it takes forever for our government to get any infrastructure project off the ground. I am very jealous of what is happening in China, I wish projects like Shanghai's metro moved as quickly in our city.
brisbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 03:06 AM   #680
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

Saturday 12/29/2007, 3 subways + 2 extensions go into service simultaneously in Shanghai

Three new subways and two extensions on existing subways will go into
service simultaneously on the eve of the new year.

The three new subways are line 6, 8, and 9.

Line 6 is entirely in Pudong, or the east shore of River Huangpu. It is
33.09km in total length with 12.04km elevated and 21.05km underground
sections. The total number of stations is 28.

Line 8 originates from Yangpu District in the northeastern part of Shanghai,
this is the last remaining urban district yet to have a rail mass transit
system until now. The subway then runs underneath the north south corridor,
the Tibet Road, and penetrates into downtown, it continues south and
eventually cross River Huangpu to reach the east shore. Phase I (to be open
on 12/29) is entirely underground at a total length of 23.33 km, 22
stations.

Line 9 is a regional subway linking the multi university campuses in the
suburban district of Songjiang in south west Shanghai with the urban
district of Xuhui. Phase I is 31km in total length with 13 stations, 12 km
underground, 17 km elevated, and 2 km at level. By December 29th, the city
center terminal is at Guilin Road, not within reach of any other subway
systems, however by early 2008, it will reach Yishan Road, thus providing a
one stop transfer to line 3 and line 4.

The two new extensions are the north north extension of line 1 and seal of
the ring on line 4.

The north north extension of line 1 is a three station, 4 km addition to the
north extension which was brought into place at the end of 2004.

The 34.2 km ring subway, or line 4, was scheduled for completion by the end
of 2004, but following a cross harbor tunnel collapsing accident, only a "C"
portion of the system was opened by the end of 2005. Now after more then
two years of intensive reconstruction of the collapsed tunnel, the big mouth
of "C" is finally stitched together to become an "O".
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram