daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 12:26 PM   #721
liwentao_tom

Likes (Received): 19

the news pictures from Shanghai

line1

line4

line 6

line8

line 9

liwentao_tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:38 PM   #722
Codfish

Likes (Received): 2

Actually, no, in China the date is YYYY/MM/DD (as you can see at the bottom of the above pictures). In China things like this tend to go from most general to most specific; addresses work the same way, so you would say China, Shanghai Municipality, Pudong District, such-and-such street, #45 (or whatever). I tend to like this method, though I agree that it doesn't really matter as long as it's clear.

But to get back to the actual topic of the thread, I'm thankful that Shanghai is going ahead with its expansion! Hopefully it's been going well; any reports on ease of use, whether the new transfer stations are convenient, etc.? With luck, this will serve as a model for China. Here in Beijing, the transfer stations have often been extremely poorly planned, meaning that getting from one line to another is a huge hassle; hopefully our southern neighbors can show us how to do it right!
Codfish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:00 PM   #723
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

in a web blog, I read, that right now there are 14 (!) tunnel boring machines at work in Shanghai simultaniously to extend the subway system.

I have never ever heard of such a huge application at one time at a single place.
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:56 PM   #724
ChinaboyUSA
Geili

Likes (Received): 8

Congratulations, Shanghai!
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:24 AM   #725
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 201

Nice pictures. Line 6 looks awfully similar to Beijing's line 5.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction
JRL Construction

Search Google Translate for "Death" in Czech. :lol:
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #726
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtfreak View Post
Nice pictures. Line 6 looks awfully similar to Beijing's line 5.
Modern subway lines in China are all designed in the uniformaly plain HK MTR style.

It's the sterotypical extention of the lack of individual creativity in China's decision makers as well as designers. Its the fruit of modern Chinese culture set by its disfunctional educational system.

But then again, these stations are made to move people, not to be individual show pieces. They do their jobs well. Spectecular designs are only going to be trampled by millions of people who walk through the stations everyday anyways. Nobody'll ever stop to look at it.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #727
liwentao_tom

Likes (Received): 19

new pictures

liwentao_tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #728
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD2 View Post
Modern subway lines in China are all designed in the uniformaly plain HK MTR style.

It's the sterotypical extention of the lack of individual creativity in China's decision makers as well as designers. Its the fruit of modern Chinese culture set by its disfunctional educational system.

But then again, these stations are made to move people, not to be individual show pieces. They do their jobs well. Spectecular designs are only going to be trampled by millions of people who walk through the stations everyday anyways. Nobody'll ever stop to look at it.
I thought the trains were exactly the same down to the line colour. Its good to see expansion and I wouldn't think that its either they invest money in creativity or quantity. At this point, they need quantity over creativity for sure so I'm not surprised that the stations are built to move people. That said, the stations LOOK very modern, well constructed and of varied designs.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction
JRL Construction

Search Google Translate for "Death" in Czech. :lol:
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #729
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101367

Someone here has mentioned that the total length of Shanghai metro is 145 km which is not true. By now, it is already 227.1 km in total. The swiftness of its building drives me crazy
Both NYC and London are not the greatest system of urban rail transport. Tokyo is the first with no rivals at all in the foreseeing future.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 04:02 AM   #730
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8783

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
Someone here has mentioned that the total length of Shanghai metro is 145 km which is not true. By now, it is already 227.1 km in total. The swiftness of its building drives me crazy
Both NYC and London are not the greatest system of urban rail transport. Tokyo is the first with no rivals at all in the foreseeing future.
That's a very subjective view. Each have their good and bad points.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #731
_Night City Dream_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
That's a very subjective view. Each have their good and bad points.
What do you mean by subjective and who or what has got + and -?
I was talking only about the dimensions of ewach system, and here Tokyo runs absolutly the first.

Old January 8th, 2008, 06:51 AM   #732
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8783

Quote:
What do you mean by subjective and who or what has got + and -?
I was talking only about the dimensions of ewach system, and here Tokyo runs absolutly the first.
You talked about the "greatest" transportation, not who has the most extensive rail system. Sorry, if you meant the most extensive (in length) then yes, you're right.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #733
_Night City Dream_

The lenght and the frequency as well. Althgough the frequency is definitely better in Moscow...

Old January 19th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #734
_Night City Dream_

Could anyone tell me about the rolling stock used on new lines (6, 8 and 9)?

Old January 19th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #735
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

Is there a drive to make the Chinese behave better on the Shanghai subway? I went there and ended taking cabs after a few days because I couldn't deal with the pushing, the rudeness and disgusting attitude of the locals on the trains and stations.... I previously thought London was bad, but on London you would never witness someone pushing a woman carrying a baby, in Shanghai, yes.
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #736
_Night City Dream_

But London is terrible with its low interiors, I have to bend low to get on, then I hate headways there as well as the price.
In Shanghai, apart from the pushing which is not so awful as you describe, everything is for the good.

Old January 20th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #737
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
But London is terrible with its low interiors, I have to bend low to get on, then I hate headways there as well as the price.
London does have small trains, crap headways etc... but he wasn't even talking about headways or trains, he was talking about rude passengers.

And did you get an Oyster card or did you use Travelcards?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #738
_Night City Dream_

When I was in London, I took the tube occasionnaly, so every time it was just an ordinary ticket. But then I realized that if there was a company of 4 - 5 people, taxi cabs are cheaper, really.

In Shanghai, I used the metro every day and I really didn't notice the fact he described. People were not rude at all. The only thing that shocked me a little was that incoming passengers didn't wait for the others getting off and every time rushed into the train just after the doors opened. All the other was really good.

Old January 20th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #739
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Ordinary tickets are high to discourage their use... apparently.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #740
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
When I was in London, I took the tube occasionnaly, so every time it was just an ordinary ticket. But then I realized that if there was a company of 4 - 5 people, taxi cabs are cheaper, really.

In Shanghai, I used the metro every day and I really didn't notice the fact he described. People were not rude at all. The only thing that shocked me a little was that incoming passengers didn't wait for the others getting off and every time rushed into the train just after the doors opened. All the other was really good.
This is what really bugged me. Why the hell don't they wait for people to get off? You just slow the whole process down.

But this is China. In China people rush and ram in to anything like its the end of the world with no regard for anyone else. Stupidity or Culture?
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram