daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #741
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Most countries consider us (the UK) to be overly polite over nothing.

But I agree with you, what you're describing is rude...
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #742
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101350

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarflonlad View Post
This is what really bugged me. Why the hell don't they wait for people to get off? You just slow the whole process down.

But this is China. In China people rush and ram in to anything like its the end of the world with no regard for anyone else. Stupidity or Culture?
I talked to Chinese people thay say normally these are not people of Shanghai but those who came there for work purposes and to live. Mostly, they are from the country and they don't know how to use it correctly.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #743
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101350

Sorry, anyone can still tell me what is the rolling stock on new lines (6, 8 and 9)?

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:58 PM   #744
leo_sh

Likes (Received): 17

Line 6 & 8 use the ones you will see in Madrid, by Alstom. In long term Line 6 will swtich to Bombardier, assembled in China, which will be a 2.6m car and nobody has yet seen how it looks like. Line 9 use Bombardier, 3.0 m width.
leo_sh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:05 AM   #745
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

I read somewhere that Line 10 is gonna use 3.2m wide Alstom Metropolises like the ones they have in Singapore. Has anyone else heard this? If this is true, then that would be awesome
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:43 AM   #746
leo_sh

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888 View Post
I read somewhere that Line 10 is gonna use 3.2m wide Alstom Metropolises like the ones they have in Singapore. Has anyone else heard this? If this is true, then that would be awesome
It is. It's a shame they did not put the 3.2m on Line 8, which absolutely deserves it.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:24 PM   #747
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Not really, I read that there is a huge gap between the train and the station for Line 8, so I guess that the stations were built for bigger trains, but they're using 2.6m trains for now. Every reason to believe they'll use bigger trains for Line 8 in the near future.

But as far as Line 10 goes, is this talk of using 3.2m Alstom Metropolis just a rumor on the Shanghai Expat website or is it substantiated elsewhere?
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:53 PM   #748
leo_sh

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888 View Post

Not really, I read that there is a huge gap between the train and the station for Line 8, so I guess that the stations were built for bigger trains, but they're using 2.6m trains for now. Every reason to believe they'll use bigger trains for Line 8 in the near future.

But as far as Line 10 goes, is this talk of using 3.2m Alstom Metropolis just a rumor on the Shanghai Expat website or is it substantiated elsewhere?
The gap is vertical, not horizontal. Even if it is horizontal, it is 10 cm. If the car takes up the whole 10 cm, it will only be 2.8m. The 3.2 m train news has been published on the local papers.
Old January 24th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #749
Second City
Loyola University

Likes (Received): 3

Wow that is massive!!
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #750
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
This is what really bugged me. Why the hell don't they wait for people to get off? You just slow the whole process down.

But this is China. In China people rush and ram in to anything like its the end of the world with no regard for anyone else. Stupidity or Culture?
you simply have to rush or you will never get on a metro. theres just so many ppl waiting to get on/off, if you wait for them, the metro won't wait for you.

although its a bit of a rush, but ppl get use to it, shanghai is really fast paced
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #751
leo_sh

I actually see people, aspecially young people, attempt to line up. Sometimes it works, most time not.

Another factor is that the door is wide enough, enough for four lines boarding and alighting. And every car has five doors.

I don't see lining cause any time difference. Chinese people push their way and push really hard. It is actually a quite fast process.
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:59 PM   #752
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
you simply have to rush or you will never get on a metro. theres just so many ppl waiting to get on/off, if you wait for them, the metro won't wait for you.

although its a bit of a rush, but ppl get use to it, shanghai is really fast paced
Rushing doesn't make things quicker. It makes it slower for people to get off as they have to push against the people trying to get on who have to push against those getting off etc etc etc.

It's a fact (and don't be calling mean racist): The majority of Chinese people have a bizarre need to push and run at everything (even though it usually doesn't make the process any quicker). Even buying long distance train tickets is a nightmare - the ticket booth isn't about to run off is it now? Yet still people push and shove (and spit)....

I appreciate that some people come to Britain (even Europeans and Americans) and think we must be weird with all our manners and I guess it is excessive - but of course it wasn't always like this... people learned.

The people of Shanghai need to learn some basic manners fast if they want the city to be as respected as say Hong Kong.
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #753
snow is red
Vicky Pollard lol

Likes (Received): 119

Sarflonlad

When did you visit Shanghai ?
snow is red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #754
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02tonyl View Post
Sarflonlad

When did you visit Shanghai ?
July 07.

Ok it might have changed - but I doubt that much. There are far nicer Chinese cities than Shanghai. Don't mean to offend!
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:44 AM   #755
leo_sh

Quote:
Rushing doesn't make things quicker. It makes it slower for people to get off as they have to push against the people trying to get on who have to push against those getting off etc etc etc.

It's a fact (and don't be calling mean racist): The majority of Chinese people have a bizarre need to push and run at everything (even though it usually doesn't make the process any quicker). Even buying long distance train tickets is a nightmare - the ticket booth isn't about to run off is it now? Yet still people push and shove (and spit)....

I appreciate that some people come to Britain (even Europeans and Americans) and think we must be weird with all our manners and I guess it is excessive - but of course it wasn't always like this... people learned.

The people of Shanghai need to learn some basic manners fast if they want the city to be as respected as say Hong Kong.
I'm afraid I have to tell you a lot of people are not impressed by Hong Kong at all. Yes, people will learn. But there is something people will never be bothered to learn. For example, the British working class have never been bothered to learn make German cars, which could actually be much more important in every aspect than queuing or good manners.
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:56 AM   #756
snow is red
Vicky Pollard lol

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_sh View Post
I'm afraid I have to tell you a lot of people are not impressed by Hong Kong at all. Yes, people will learn. But there is something people will never be bothered to learn. For example, the British working class have never been bothered to learn make German cars, which could actually be much more important in every aspect than queuing or good manners.

Eh, I am lost, I don't know why you associate one thing to another, tbh I find sarflonlad's criticism quite constructive and something to improve on.
snow is red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 01:41 AM   #757
iampuking

Quote:
The working class aren't some organisation that follow the same pattern and copy each other. They won't just wake up and think "comrades, let's make cars" there has to actually be a British company that'll employ them. I'm sorry if you find that so difficult to understand.
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #758
leo_sh

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
The working class aren't some organisation that follow the same pattern and copy each other. They won't just wake up and think "comrades, let's make cars" there has to actually be a British company that'll employ them. I'm sorry if you find that so difficult to understand.
My comment derived from the story of BMW, which managed both a certain a car factory in England and another one elsewhere at the same time. When comparing the experiences, they described the English working class as inveterate.

I must admit that this is not a good comparison. One good example may be German and Italian driving habits. A lot of Germans make holidays in Italy and hate the Italian way of driving - chaotic, breach of rules, dangerous, etc. Later a certain German traffic expert found out that, in spite of being chaotic and apparently dangerous, the Italian traffic is as efficient as the orderly German traffic, statistically not really more dangerous than the German one.
Old January 25th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #759
iampuking

Quote:
My comment derived from the story of BMW, which managed both a certain a car factory in England and another one elsewhere at the same time. When comparing the experiences, they described the English working class as inveterate.
Read my first point again...
Old January 25th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #760
leo_sh

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Read my first point again...
I have answered to your point. I have pointed out that it was a certain group of working class in a certain organization who were offered a chance by a new management to receive new training in technology and equipment, but they squandered the chance and gave up the incentive. In comparison to the commuters, it is not some aesthetics or small nusances. It was their livelihood.

Human beings are very stubborn animals. With no incentive, no appropriate conditions, how can you expect average human beings to change the behaviour they have grown accustomed to. The primary problem in Shanghai's metro system is overcrowding and lack of trains, not pushing and shoving. Nobody complain they have missed a train due to not lining up. They might well probably miss a train if they ever line up. And it is not all pushing and shoving and line-jumping. There are rules and etiquetts. There are polite eye contacts. There are tentative physical touch. There are quiet inquiries like "do you alight", "can we exchange our places", "please, it's already too late for me", etc. etc.. It is only in outsiders' eyes pure chaos. And these outsiders won't bother to ask how it is going. Their first job is assume moral high ground. That is annoying!

Last edited by leo_sh; January 25th, 2008 at 06:43 PM.

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram