daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 25th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #761
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Basically, it's your fault for making your first post so unclear, it implied that the "British working class" are no good at making cars compared to the "German working class" and I pointed out that the British motor industry has been dying a slow death since the eighties. You meant that they couldn't learn how to make them because they are made differently and are therefore stubborn which is a typical trait of human behaviour.

The second part of your post should be directed at sarflonlad. He was making an analogy, he wasn't neccessarily trying to make an analogy on all of mankind, just the mankind that happen to reside in Shanghai and use it's metro system.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #762
leo_sh

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Basically, it's your fault for making your first post so unclear, it implied that the "British working class" are no good at making cars compared to the "German working class" and I pointed out that the British motor industry has been dying a slow death since the eighties. You meant that they couldn't learn how to make them because they are made differently and are therefore stubborn which is a typical trait of human behaviour.

The second part of your post should be directed at sarflonlad. He was making an analogy, he wasn't neccessarily trying to make an analogy on all of mankind, just the mankind that happen to reside in Shanghai and use it's metro system.
The original post is only directed at Sarflonlad. That story is a quite long and painful and well-published drama on that island, so I suppose he understand all the twists in the story and what I intended.

What touched my weak spot is his clichés-laden analogy, of all places, between two formerly British administered cities. Sometimes our former master could be a little too much for us.
leo_sh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #763
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_sh View Post
The original post is only directed at Sarflonlad. That story is a quite long and painful and well-published drama on that island, so I suppose he understand all the twists in the story and what I intended.

What touched my weak spot is his clichés-laden analogy, of all places, between two formerly British administered cities. Sometimes our former master could be a little too much for us.
It's all blah blah blah to me I'm afraid.

All I'm saying is that the Shanghai metro is a hideous thing to ride when busy. In fact all metros are - but in Shanghai people push and shove and it's completely unacceptable to pretty much anyone from the first world looking in to China as an emerging power.

Chinese manners and their treatment towards different social groups to me are an alien concept. I accept there will always be cultural diferences - but people pushing women carrying babies just because they are worried they will miss a metro train? No this is not acceptable anywhere. Nor do I see what is has to do with BMW either. As for Hong Kong - the most fundamental thing that makes it shine out against Shanghai is that at least the people there aren't brainwashed by the CCP. The CCP fears the power and the knowledge of the people in HK. It's not like every ordinary Chinese person can go to HK... I wonder why that is.

As far as the infrastructure of the Shanghai metro goes - I love it. The air con is a blessing, it's clean and it has a smartcard system. In many respects it reminds me of the MTR - just not those riding it. In time hopefully it will change as Chinese people demand a better way of life for not only themselves but others around them.
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #764
snow is red
Vicky Pollard lol

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarflonlad View Post

All I'm saying is that the Shanghai metro is a hideous thing to ride when busy. In fact all metros are - but in Shanghai people push and shove and it's completely unacceptable to pretty much anyone from the first world looking in to China as an emerging power.

Chinese manners and their treatment towards different social groups to me are an alien concept. I accept there will always be cultural diferences - but people pushing women carrying babies just because they are worried they will miss a metro train? No this is not acceptable anywhere. Nor do I see what is has to do with BMW either. As for Hong Kong - the most fundamental thing that makes it shine out against Shanghai is that at least the people there aren't brainwashed by the CCP. The CCP fears the power and the knowledge of the people in HK. It's not like every ordinary Chinese person can go to HK... I wonder why that is.

As far as the infrastructure of the Shanghai metro goes - I love it. The air con is a blessing, it's clean and it has a smartcard system. In many respects it reminds me of the MTR - just not those riding it. In time hopefully it will change as Chinese people demand a better way of life for not only themselves but others around them.
Subway thread is about to turn into a politics thread , Alert !!

Overall, I understand what you're saying and I appreciate it, I think it is constructive criticism. Thanks
snow is red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #765
leo_sh

Quote:

I have made it clear in the last post. It is not all about pushing and shoving. There are rules and etiquetts. You cannot just come and say my rules or no rules. We have practically begun to push and shove when the bloody Brits were still our overlords. It has nothing to do with CCP!

This country has a lot of faults and shortcomings. Pushing and shoving is not part of the problem! Your example of pushing women carrying babies make me laugh. A first world gentleman is so concerned with a poor third world lady. The fact is the women carrying babies push as hard as others. If not harder. Especially those country ladies carrying toddlers. If I don't watch out, I might land on the rails because of them!

Oh my goodness, the ever-evil CCP fears the big secret hidden in HK! Oh my goodness, if we get the big secret, we will suddenly turn "civil" a la British democracy, human rights, and freedom of speech. Don't you think it a little bit over the top? Gentleman, save these clichés in a forum on metro and subway systems!
Old January 26th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #766
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
A first world gentleman is so concerned with a poor third world lady. The fact is the women carrying babies push as hard as others. If not harder. Especially those country ladies carrying toddlers. If I don't watch out, I might land on the rails because of them!
haha correct. The pushing and rushing business has nothing to do with the culture i believe, it is just more like a bad habbit.

i think that most of the pushings are triggered by country people, you cant blame them because they did not get any educations. i get offened by them too.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #767
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
I have made it clear in the last post. It is not all about pushing and shoving. There are rules and etiquetts. You cannot just come and say my rules or no rules. We have practically begun to push and shove when the bloody Brits were still our overlords. It has nothing to do with CCP!

This country has a lot of faults and shortcomings. Pushing and shoving is not part of the problem! Your example of pushing women carrying babies make me laugh. A first world gentleman is so concerned with a poor third world lady. The fact is the women carrying babies push as hard as others. If not harder. Especially those country ladies carrying toddlers. If I don't watch out, I might land on the rails because of them!

Oh my goodness, the ever-evil CCP fears the big secret hidden in HK! Oh my goodness, if we get the big secret, we will suddenly turn "civil" a la British democracy, human rights, and freedom of speech. Don't you think it a little bit over the top? Gentleman, save these clichés in a forum on metro and subway systems!
Grow up
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #768
leo_sh

Quote:
Grow up
I am growing old of the cheap tourists' view how wild west China is. What I can just say, attention, here is not frontiers. The same comments can be heard en mass in Italian or Mexican resorts. I won't expect all tourists to grow up. I am only optimistic that this country is so ****ed up environmentally that the number of tourists could only decrease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
haha correct. The pushing and rushing business has nothing to do with the culture i believe, it is just more like a bad habbit.

i think that most of the pushings are triggered by country people, you cant blame them because they did not get any educations. i get offened by them too.
You get it right that it is not culture specific. The same phenomena could be observed more or less all around the developing world.

Your view is typical of the natives that it is all faults of the country pumpkins. I would be reluctant to make such sweeping conclusions. This city has such a high population density (actually, some studies say it is the highest in the world. Much higher than, say, the urban core of Tokyo) that it is no more natural for human being to live. We are, in fact, a bunch of freaks grown out of such a highly life-threatening terrain. Most people from the less populated areas would already take Hong Kong as a horror. If anybody from the major mainland cities land on Hong Kong, their first impression is: oh, this is disappointingly small place, with half deserted streets. If Hong Kong is overpopulated, Shanghai is radiation contaminated. So it is actually "country pumpkins" behaving all naturally. I am only grateful that they live through it as it is, not bitching around.
Old January 26th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #769
ddes

Likes (Received): 927

Could we pleease talk about one of the world's fastest expanding metros and appreciate it for what it is becoming?

Thanks.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 05:50 PM   #770
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101351

I've got some info that needs to be checked. Is it true, that Shanghai plans to build more than 900 km of metro by 2020?

And once again, anyone, please post here photos of new built lines rolling stock (6, 8 and 9).

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 03:35 AM   #771
liwentao_tom

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
I've got some info that needs to be checked. Is it true, that Shanghai plans to build more than 900 km of metro by 2020?

And once again, anyone, please post here photos of new built lines rolling stock (6, 8 and 9).
You are right.Shanghai plans to build 970 km of metro and light rail by 2020.
2007 236km 8lines
2010 400+km 11lines
2012 500+km 13lines
2020 970km?? 22lines??
liwentao_tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 04:57 AM   #772
liwentao_tom

line 6 (pink line)

Old February 3rd, 2008, 04:58 AM   #773
liwentao_tom

line 9

Old February 3rd, 2008, 05:21 AM   #774
liwentao_tom

line 8 (dark blue line)

Old February 3rd, 2008, 05:23 AM   #775
liwentao_tom

map of 2007

map of 2010
Old February 3rd, 2008, 05:55 AM   #776
liwentao_tom

more~

Old February 3rd, 2008, 02:04 PM   #777
ddes

Very nice pictures liwentao_tom...

I think Shanghai should have used wider rolling stock similar to those in Singapore and Hong Kong to accomodate the ever-increasing traffic.
Old February 4th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #778
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
Very nice pictures liwentao_tom...

I think Shanghai should have used wider rolling stock similar to those in Singapore and Hong Kong to accomodate the ever-increasing traffic.
Line 10 apparently has been anticipated in local newspapers to use 3.2m wide Alstom Metropolis cars
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #779
ddes

Oh I see...

Well, Line 1 and 2 certainly need them right now. I guess increased frequency and parallel lines will try to alleviate them.

We all basically know there are a few rolling stock manufacturers in the world like Alstom, Siemens, Kawasaki and upcoming ROTEM. Is China planing to have their own brand, which is not reverse engineered?

I'm asking this because I love metro sounds but with the world adopting more or less those mentioned manufacturers, it's getting alittle boring.
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #780
snow is red
Vicky Pollard lol

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
Oh I see...

Well, Line 1 and 2 certainly need them right now. I guess increased frequency and parallel lines will try to alleviate them.

We all basically know there are a few rolling stock manufacturers in the world like Alstom, Siemens, Kawasaki and upcoming ROTEM. Is China planing to have their own brand, which is not reverse engineered?

I'm asking this because I love metro sounds but with the world adopting more or less those mentioned manufacturers, it's getting alittle boring.
more like tech transfer
snow is red no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram