daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #781
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101350

LIWENTAO, thank a lot for such great shots.
As I see, line 6 has the same rolling stock as line 5. Pity, I didn't like them at all. They are not noisy but there are indeed the noisiest in Shanghai metro, and the less comfortable in my opinon.
Line 9 has the same trains as new trains on line 1.
Line 8 has got a new type, I've never seen such trains before. Have you got some more photos?

Another great thing about Shanghai metro is that I see on pics that they started decorating stations, they are not only functional any more.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #782
_Night City Dream_

Ah, forgot to ask one thing: part of Line 4 in Pudong that was completed recently, is it underground or the whole line is elevated?

Old February 6th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #783
_Night City Dream_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
Oh I see...

Well, Line 1 and 2 certainly need them right now. I guess increased frequency and parallel lines will try to alleviate them.

We all basically know there are a few rolling stock manufacturers in the world like Alstom, Siemens, Kawasaki and upcoming ROTEM. Is China planing to have their own brand, which is not reverse engineered?

I'm asking this because I love metro sounds but with the world adopting more or less those mentioned manufacturers, it's getting alittle boring.
You forgot Russian manufacturers.

Old February 6th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #784
ddes

Likes (Received): 925

Shanghai Line 8 seems to be using the same rolling stock as Guangzhou's Line 4 (correct me if I'm wrong, not too sure which line is it)

I have a question for Shanghainese forumers who take the metro. What do you feel about the constant sardine- packness? Are you guys resigned to it or you think driving or taking a bus would be better?

It seems from the YouTube vids that it looks alot worse than Tokyo Metro's squeeze...
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #785
_Night City Dream_

I reaaly doubt it. You know, when I lived in Shanghai, I saw this overcrowded lines only twice, all the rest was much more than ok. It was not constant at all.
Bus would be worse to take.

Old February 6th, 2008, 06:08 PM   #786
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malm÷ | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
I have a question for Shanghainese forumers who take the metro. What do you feel about the constant sardine- packness? Are you guys resigned to it or you think driving or taking a bus would be better?
Having lived in Shanghai for more than a year, I feel that the "sardine packness"
only occurs on Line 1 and occasionally on Line 2. The trains on the other lines aren't that crowded, but that might have changed now that the system has been enlarged.
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #787
_Night City Dream_

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
Having lived in Shanghai for more than a year, I feel that the "sardine packness"
only occurs on Line 1 and occasionally on Line 2. The trains on the other lines aren't that crowded, but that might have changed now that the system has been enlarged.
I confirm that although I lived there far less. Sardine packed trains occur on Line 1 and Line 2 and exceptionally where they cross, at People's Square.

Old February 6th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #788
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
LIWENTAO, thank a lot for such great shots.
As I see, line 6 has the same rolling stock as line 5. Pity, I didn't like them at all. They are not noisy but there are indeed the noisiest in Shanghai metro, and the less comfortable in my opinon.
Line 9 has the same trains as new trains on line 1.
Line 8 has got a new type, I've never seen such trains before. Have you got some more photos?

Another great thing about Shanghai metro is that I see on pics that they started decorating stations, they are not only functional any more.
Uh no actually... Line 8, 5, and 6 all use the same type, which really sucks for Line 8 because apparently there is severe overcrowding on that line.

Excited for Line 10 and its use of 3.2m wide Alstom Metropolis cars. Does that mean it will be the same rolling stock as Singapore's North East MRT Line or will it be its own unique design with same technical specifications? And is there news of what rolling stock will be used on Line 7 and 11?
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #789
_Night City Dream_

drunkenmunkey888, thanks, I didn't know exactly because I only saw a picture with trains' faces, and it was a little bit new look. Another thing that made me think of one more type of cars were interior photos. I remember taking photos inside the train on Line 5, it was not the same.

If you can, please, post here some photos of trains on Line 8, and stations as well.

Old February 7th, 2008, 04:22 PM   #790
ddes

Likes (Received): 925

Alstom Metropolis are merely a series of type of rolling stock, so it may or may not look like Singapore's trains. And anyway, within Singapore, Alstom Metropolis on the Circle Line and North East Line have differing looks too...
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #791
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18129

Sleek interiors. The large Chinese characters inside stations reminds me of HK's Island Line, but without the brush motif.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #792
_Night City Dream_

In my opinion Alstom trains are not bad but they are definitely the worst in Shanghai metro, "old" trains on Line 2 for ex are much better as for comfort and sound insulation.

Old February 7th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #793
drunkenmunkey888

Alstom trains are pretty bad. They're really narrow, which was a terrible choice for Line 8 I heard. They're shorter and uglier too. My favorite would have to be the trains they use on Line 9 and Line 4. Those are sleek, robust, and beautiful. I feel like Line 9 and 4 have by far the best trains for now, until Line 10 opens with their 3.2m wide trains (unless rumors and newspapers are lying about Line 10 train specifications)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
If you can, please, post here some photos of trains on Line 8, and stations as well.
That's kinda hard to do because Line 8 is entirely underground and all the stations have platform screen doors so most good pictures of Line 8 are taken in the train yards, which is hard for civilians to access.
Old February 8th, 2008, 06:07 AM   #794
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

line 7 looks pretty good

kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #795
drunkenmunkey888

That's exactly the same rolling stock as Shenzhen Metro, no?
Old February 8th, 2008, 06:53 AM   #796
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

Likes (Received): 21

@ [anyone/everyone]

Is it just me or are the masterplanners of Shanghai's Metro Rail Network just sooooo short-sighted and unambitious.
Old February 8th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #797
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I dunno, I wouldn't call this short sighted...

Old February 8th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #798
_Night City Dream_

I've got no words, it's marvellous. I really envy people who live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888 View Post

Alstom trains are pretty bad. They're really narrow, which was a terrible choice for Line 8 I heard. They're shorter and uglier too. My favorite would have to be the trains they use on Line 9 and Line 4. Those are sleek, robust, and beautiful. I feel like Line 9 and 4 have by far the best trains for now, until Line 10 opens with their 3.2m wide trains (unless rumors and newspapers are lying about Line 10 train specifications)

That's kinda hard to do because Line 8 is entirely underground and all the stations have platform screen doors so most good pictures of Line 8 are taken in the train yards, which is hard for civilians to access.
Hm, perhaps, I missed the info about new trains on line 4. I thought there were still the oldest trains in Shanghai metro just like on line 2 and partly on Line 1...
Or you meant line 9 and 1? On line 1 there are two types of trains: the oldest and my favourite If you meant this, then I agree with you.

Yeah, Alstom trains are much worse in design and width, but the thing I really didn't like was the noise. It was nearly just the same as 81-740 in Moscow which are considered the newest and the quietest. I don't think so, and I was surprised, when I visited Line 5, they gave me the same feeling (noise, vibration etc.)

Old February 8th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #799
drunkenmunkey888

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cebuano Exultor View Post
Is it just me or are the masterplanners of Shanghai's Metro Rail Network just sooooo short-sighted and unambitious.
I totally agree with you. Here is why:

For a city as large as Shanghai (upwards of 50 million in entire municipality over the next few decades is not unreasonable) in the future would require more than just one huge metro system. The masterplan is waaay too simple. Yes I know there are 23 lines which is ambitious, but a good network needs more than just a lot of lines.

1) The lack of express service in planning is a crippling disadvantage for a network as large as Shanghai's. I'm not talking any bullshit skip-stop service or w/e other metros in the world has. I'm talking legit four track express EXACTLY how they have it in NYC subway where the middle two tracks pass local stations that are only accessible to outer two local tracks. Sorry if that explanation is condescending to some people, its just that I've brought this up before and there were many "interpretations" as to what express means. I mean express as in NYC Subway express service. I mean let alone enormous lines like 9 or 11, going from Baoshan to Zhongshan Park on Line 3 is already excruciatingly slow because trains stop at EVERY stop. If Shanghai urban transit planners know what's good, they will scrap these plans and draw up ones where there are express trains.
2) There should be different modes of urban rail transport instead of one monster metro. Instead of having 23 lines, mix it up so that the metro doesn't become overburdened. For example, create commuter rail lines for outer districts in Pudong, Puxi, and Chongming. Use subway lines for urban districts and inner suburbs. Use light rail, monorail, or elevated rail to plug in gaps where subway coverage might miss like Lujiazui (For someplace as important as Lujiazui, there is only one metro stop. Compare that with Downtown Manhattan, which has over a dozen in a square mile) or the Bund Waterfront.

I recommend something like this:
Metrowest: Very extensive commuter rail network that serves outer suburbs in Puxi, Zhejiang, and Jiangsu with certain lines terminating as far as Suzhou and Jiaxing. Has around 8 lines
Pudong Transit: Commuter rail network that serves Pudong suburban districts with around 6 branches
Chongming Railroad: Commuter rail network that serves Chongming island terminating in Shanghai Railway stations with 5 branches
Shanghai Subway: Dense network of subways that have multiple branches and four track express service serving city districts and inner suburbs like Minhang or Baoshan. Has around 11 lines and 470 km.
Shanghai El/Tram/monorail: Miscellaneous rail transit that plugs in any gaps that the previous systems missed like greater coverage of Lujiazui area, tram along the Bund Waterfront area connecting to subway, elevated rail lines, monorails, a railroad line that serves the length of Changxing island, and a Pudong Airport Airtrain that connects the terminals within the airport as well as outside mass transit systems.

This is much more balanced and would serve a city as dynamic as Shanghai much better than one monolithic, but terribly simple metro network. Unfortunately I have no say whatsoever in mass transit planning in Shanghai so I guess I need to be happy with whatever simple, awkward monolith the planners have drawn up for the future.

Last edited by drunkenmunkey888; February 8th, 2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old February 8th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #800
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

hongqiao maglev & subway stations u/c.......scary, pics by KiD

kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram