daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 30th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #1001
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post

It's clearly marked with "inner circle" and "outer circle" on the platforms, plus the the next two stations in each direction are indicated as well. Can't go wrong, really.
yea it does tell you when line 4 is underground, but its particularly hard when line 4 is sharing the station with line 3...

and i know it labels inner circle, but inner circle, but does inner circle go clockwise or anticlockwise?

the good thing thou is the animated display board showing the direction of the subway on top of the subway door inside the subway

Highcliff liked this post
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #1002
kix111

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post

There are a lot of ads in the Shanghai Metro--both in stations and trains, most of it are on flat-screens though.
this reminds me of how boring it is to watch the TV ad inside the subway..they have like the same ads everyday and every 5 minutes >< haha

Old August 30th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #1003
leo_sh

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
yea it does tell you when line 4 is underground, but its particularly hard when line 4 is sharing the station with line 3...

and i know it labels inner circle, but inner circle, but does inner circle go clockwise or anticlockwise?

the good thing thou is the animated display board showing the direction of the subway on top of the subway door inside the subway
I don't know what part is hard. When it shares the stations with Line 3, it basically goes the same line and stops at the same stations as Line 3. As it is a circular line, if labeled otherwise, the situation will be more confusing.
leo_sh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 02:08 AM   #1004
kix111

of course after taking the same route for a long time it is really easy.

i mean the first time taking that route is hard because i need to take line 3 to the first station where line 3 and 4 shares a station. But then i had to take line 4 going the direction where i came from in line 3... hard to explain XD

Old September 4th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #1005
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/?id=372667
Quote:
Mega-station set for Metro
By Dong Zhen | 2008-9-5 | NEWSPAPER EDITION

SHANGHAI'S biggest Metro station is now being built in Xuhui District to host connections between the future Line 7 and 12.

The station is located 100 meters from the Huangpu River between Zhongshan No. 2 Road S. and Longhua Road in Xuhui District.

Builders said they will soon finish the major structures for Line 7, which will be ready for trial operation by end of next year. The Metro authority has not announced when the line will be in full operation, however.

The future station will cover an area of more than 60,000 square meters, the size of three average Metro stations.

Passengers can expect a spacious concourse up to 25 meters wide. A 6,000-square-meter transfer hall is also being built for commuters to connect between Line 7 and 12.

Line 7 will become an important Metro link for the 2010 World Expo. It will connect Baoshan District with Pudong and run across the World Expo Zone on both sides of the Huangpu River. Line 12 will run between Minhang District and Pudong and is expected to be completed by 2012.

staff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #1006
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101350

I have always wondered why they name lines in numbers in such order which is not direct? It concerns many chinese cities. For example, line 6, 8 and 9 already exist in Shanghai, line 7 being under construction. Why not to name line 8 and 9 as 7 and 8 respectively?

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #1007
kix111

maybe line 7 is planned before line 8 and 9, but jsut a bit slower to u/c

Old September 7th, 2008, 04:59 AM   #1008
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

When you plan for building massive entirely-new networks like the Chinese cities are, I imagine you simply lay out all the routes you want, even though they won't necessarily all get constructed at the same time... My guess is the numbering is a holdover from that planning process, and has absolutely nothing to do with which gets built first.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #1009
staff
囧!

That's indeed how it is.

Old September 21st, 2008, 10:04 PM   #1010
staff
囧!

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/?id=374529
Quote:
Bike rental scheme to operate at Metro line

By Jessie Dong | 2008-9-22 | NEWSPAPER EDITION

A man rents a bike yesterday at Zhangjiang High-tech Park Metro station.

THE Metro, working with a local bike company, yesterday morning started a bike rental scheme at Line 2's Zhangjiang High-tech Park Station.

It is a trial for what is hoped will be a citywide scheme offering bikes for rent at Metro stations all over Shanghai.

By 2012 there will be bikes for rent at 800 Metro stations and 2,700 rental sites inside business and residential buildings.

Tens of thousands of commuters go through the Zhangjiang High-tech Park Station every day to work at the Zhangjiang High-tech Park or the Pudong Software Park.

Bikes are the perfect green and cost-efficient vehicles for people to use to commute between work and the Metro station. Before you can rent a bike you have to pay a 200-yuan (US$28) deposit and the rental runs at between 1 and 3 yuan per hour. The longer the bike is kept the rental rate increases to encourage people to return bikes as quickly as possible.

If you keep a bike for 24 hours it will set you back 60 yuan.

Commuters who buy one of the 150-yuan prepaid year cards can have the first 30 minutes' rental for free each time.

The Shanghai Forever Bicycle Co, which is supplying the bikes, has fitted GPS devices to them all so they can track them. But if a commuter has his bike stolen he will lose his deposit.

Return spots have been set up inside the Zhangjiang High-tech Park and the Pudong Software Park.

Old September 22nd, 2008, 02:30 PM   #1011
staff
囧!

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/?id=374576
Quote:
Sound barriers to provide relief for frazzled residents

By Chen Qian | 2008-9-22 | ONLINE EDITION

MORE than 5,500 meters of sound barriers will be installed along sections of Metro Lines 1 and 3 from today to reduce noise pollution for nearby residents.

Some anti-noise tracks will also be installed on Line 3, Xinmin Evening News reported today.

Shanghai Metro Operation Co Ltd will install the barriers and anti-noise tracks with the project expected to be finished within six months, the report said.

The announcements are the company’s response to the continuing complaints from nearby residents.

Sound barriers 2.5-meters high will be installed along a section of Line 1 between Gongkang Road and Pengpu Xincun station.

Sound barriers will be 1.5-meters high between Jiangwan Town and Dabaishu Station, Yishan Road and Yan'an Road W Station, Caoyang Road and Zhongshan Park Station and Baoshan Road and Shanghai Railway Stations, the report said.

The total length of the sound barriers will be 5,576 meters. It will cost several thousand yuan per square meter of sound barrier. All construction work will be completed at night when there is less traffic, the report said.

The Shanghai Metro Operation Co Ltd installed sound barriers on some sections of the two lines in 2006 and 2007.

In addition to residents’ complaints, one of the city’s top seismology experts submitted a report to the city government in 2004, pushing the government to take immediate action to reduce the amount of noise generated by Shanghai’s subway lines.

It has been reported that by the start of World Expo 2010, Shanghai will have 12 Metro lines in service.

Among them, Metro Line 7 will lay noise-reducing tracks, according to a previous report from eastday.com.

Line 7, which will be completed by the end of next year, links Chentai Road of the rural Baoshan District with Longyang Road in Pudong.

Old October 27th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #1012
snow is red
Vicky Pollard lol

Likes (Received): 119

Posted by Big Dog

a couple of Shanghai Line 6 pictures

IMG]http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6418/79975974rz9.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by snow is red; October 27th, 2008 at 10:46 PM.
snow is red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 06:08 PM   #1013
_Night City Dream_

What is the district on the photo?

Old November 4th, 2008, 12:43 AM   #1014
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
What is the district on the photo?
It's Pudong - Line 6 is the only Metro line in Shanghai that is entirely within Pudong District.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 02:02 AM   #1015
snow is red
Vicky Pollard lol

Plans announced for rail hub

2008-11-4

THREE Metro lines will connect at Shanghai West Railway Station when it opens in Putuo District in 2010.

Lines 11, 15 and 16 will meet at the station, the Putuo District Urban Planning Administration said after experts approved the plan.

The railway station, surrounded by Zhenjin Road, Zhennan Road, Taopu Road and Fuping Road, will cover an area of 37.3 hectares and include two plazas, said Cheng Wenbin, the project's administration director.

Two underground passages will be built. The first will be 80 meters wide and will link the two plazas. The other will be about 50 meters wide and will connect the three subway lines to a bus station at ground level, Cheng said.

Shanghai West Railway Station will be a hub for the Huning Intercity Railway, which connects Shanghai and Nanjing, capital city of Jiangsu Province. It will take 72 minutes to travel between the cities when the station opens and the hub will serve up to 100 million passengers annually.

Meanwhile, the first Bombardier train has arrived in the city to be tested for use on Metro Line 7, which is due to open next year.

Metro operators have ordered 32 trains from the Canadian train maker Bombardier. The rest will arrive next year.

The 35-kilometer Line 7 will have one ground-level and 27 underground stations, 11 of which will connect to other Metro lines. The line will serve Baoshan District and Pudong New Area, and is expected to carry passengers to and from the 2010 World Expo.

Before the start of the Expo, Shanghai should have 400 kilometers of Metro lines crisscrossing the city.

Eight new Metro lines and extensions are under construction. A total of 116 new stations will be built before the Expo.

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/sp/arti...cle_379371.htm
Old November 4th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #1016
_Night City Dream_

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
It's Pudong - Line 6 is the only Metro line in Shanghai that is entirely within Pudong District.
Sorry, I forgot that. As I can see, it's quite far from Lujiazui district?

Old November 4th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #1017
leo_sh

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot that. As I can see, it's quite far from Lujiazui district?
Lujiazui is a part of Pudong District. It is officially a Neighborhood under Pudong District People's Government. The section of Line 6 that runs close to Luijiazui is underground, so you can't see Jinmao and SWFC from the train anyway.
Old November 4th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #1018
_Night City Dream_

I know about Lujiazui and about its status, thanks. I lived there for a month. But I'm interested in which station or which par of line 6 is depicted on the photo?

Old November 4th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #1019
leo_sh

Quote:
I know about Lujiazui and about its status, thanks. I lived there for a month. But I'm interested in which station or which par of line 6 is depicted on the photo?
Waigaoqiao Free Trade Zone South Station
Old November 6th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #1020
snow is red
Vicky Pollard lol

Building begins on Metro hub

2008-11-6

CONSTRUCTION has started on a Metro station interchange for Lines 2 and 11 on Jiangsu Road in Changning District, one of the biggest such hubs in the city.

Due to safety concerns, Exit 1 at Jiangsu Road Station on Line 2 was closed and Exit 4 was open only to commuters entering the station during rush hours. The northern section of Line 11 will open at the end of next year, linking Jiading District to the downtown. The interchange will allow passengers to transfer easily between lines 2 and 11.

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article...623&type=Metro

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram