daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #1161
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

^65 of 97 stations? Something is wrong there...

I noticed that they've got new maps up at Shanghai Indoor Stadium Station (currently being renovated on the Line 1 side) that include ALL new lines/extensions that will be open up to the beginning of the Expo next year (Line 2 airport extensions, Line 7, second phase of lines 8 and 9, Line 10, Line 11, and the short Expo phase of Line 13). It looked really cool.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2009, 06:46 AM   #1162
liwentao_tom

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
^65 of 97 stations? Something is wrong there...

I noticed that they've got new maps up at Shanghai Indoor Stadium Station (currently being renovated on the Line 1 side) that include ALL new lines/extensions that will be open up to the beginning of the Expo next year (Line 2 airport extensions, Line 7, second phase of lines 8 and 9, Line 10, Line 11, and the short Expo phase of Line 13). It looked really cool.
It's this...

Last edited by liwentao_tom; August 8th, 2009 at 11:50 AM.
liwentao_tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 07:18 AM   #1163
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

Looks great! This map is up in all the line 8 phase II stations too!
Old July 9th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #1164
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

^That's the one!

I asked this question over at SSP, but I'll ask it here because I think there's more Chinese forumers here: The notice on the map on the Line 2 extension at Guanglan Road (广兰路) says that 4 car trains will run between Guanglan Road and Pudong Airport - will there ONLY be 4 car trains on that section of Line 2, or will some of the 8 car trains make the entire run from Xujing to Pudong Airport?

Also, when all of that is open by next year, 2012 is the next big year for Metro expansion completion. Anyone know what all will be finished by 2012? I know Line 12, the second phase of Line 11, at least part of Line 5 into Fengxian District, and the rest of line 13 - am I missing anything?

Finally, a point on the map itself - it's pretty amazing to look at that and realize than only 15 years ago there was NO metro in operation in Shanghai. Without a doubt, the Shanghai Metro is the fastest growing Metro system in history.

Last edited by The Chemist; July 9th, 2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #1165
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
^That's the one!

I asked this question over at SSP, but I'll ask it here because I think there's more Chinese forumers here: The notice on the map on the Line 2 extension at Guanglan Road (广兰路) says that 4 car trains will run between Guanglan Road and Pudong Airport - will there ONLY be 4 car trains on that section of Line 2, or will some of the 8 car trains make the entire run from Xujing to Pudong Airport?

Also, when all of that is open by next year, 2012 is the next big year for Metro expansion completion. Anyone know what all will be finished by 2012? I know Line 12, the second phase of Line 11, at least part of Line 5 into Fengxian District, and the rest of line 13 - am I missing anything?

Finally, a point on the map itself - it's pretty amazing to look at that and realize than only 15 years ago there was NO metro in operation in Shanghai. Without a doubt, the Shanghai Metro is the fastest growing Metro system in history.

And interesting enough, to add on to your point, its mindboggling that even today with 250 km, Shanghai already has one of the largest subway systems in the world! All it needs is a couple of suburban rail networks and then it can rival Tokyo or New York in infrastructure
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #1166
staff
囧!

Well, a suburban system similar to those in NYC, London or Paris are not needed since Shanghai doesn't really have suburbs in the sense that Western cities do.
Old July 10th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #1167
staff
囧!

What the hell is this article talking about? I don't see any direct link between Xujiahui Station and Lujiazui Station on the map above. Or do they count Shiji Dadao Station as a "lujiazui station"?

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article...991&type=Metro
Quote:
Line 9 to link key areas

By Dong Zhen | 2009-7-10 | NEWSPAPER EDITION

A NEW subway extension will connect the popular commercial area of Xujiahui to Pudong and open before the end of this year, the city's Metro management said yesterday.

The opening of the second phase of Line 9 will mean Lujiazui, the city's financial district, will be only several stops from Xujiahui.

Shentong Metro Group said the 14-kilometer stretch of track will be completed on July 20 and that trains will begin testing in two months.

The extension includes stops in Xuhui, Luwan and Huangpu districts as well as Pudong New Area. It will also stop at Century Avenue Station in Pudong, the city's biggest subway transfer hub which already links Metro lines 2, 4 and 6.

The Line 9 extension will also share Xujiahui Station with Line 1 and Line 11. The first phase of Line 11 is also scheduled to open before the year end.

Metro officials said that when traffic launches, a passenger transfer corridor between the three lines at Xujiahui Station will still be under construction and ticketing systems and turnstiles will operate separately.
Old July 12th, 2009, 03:38 AM   #1168
Codfish

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
^That's the one!

On the map liwentao_tom posted, there’s a little box pointing to Guanglan Road station that reads:

4节、8节车辆换乘站
浦东机场站至广兰路站为4节编组车辆
广兰路站至徐泾东站为8节编组车辆
乘客需在本站换乘

Translated:

4-car/8-car interchange station
Trains from Pudong Airport Station to Guanglan Lu Station will be 4-carriage
Trains from Guanglan Lu Station to Xujing East Station will be 8-carriage
Passengers must change trains at this station

That should answer your question!
Codfish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #1169
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101379

Quote:
says that 4 car trains will run between Guanglan Road and Pudong Airport
I am not probable aware of, but what does the last station mean? I mean where is it sutuated, is it now possible to get to the airport using subway only?

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #1170
napkcirtap

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
I am not probable aware of, but what does the last station mean? I mean where is it sutuated, is it now possible to get to the airport using subway only?
not until 2010, the only public transportation going to the airport(both PVG and SHA is airport express buses and the maglev for PVG)
in the future, they plan to run 4car trains and 8car trains on 2 segments of the line, since demand in downtown is much higher than in the suburbs, so this way they can maintain certain higher frequencies without adding more to revenue cost.
napkcirtap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #1171
_Night City Dream_

I see. I'm just asking because I used Maglev to Shanghai, and the bus from Hongqiao to Pudong, so it was surprising to here about the metro.

Will the line 2 going to Pudong airport be underground or above?

Old July 12th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #1172
napkcirtap

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
I see. I'm just asking because I used Maglev to Shanghai, and the bus from Hongqiao to Pudong, so it was surprising to here about the metro.

Will the line 2 going to Pudong airport be underground or above?
above ground east of chuansha

underground to hongqioa
Old July 12th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #1173
_Night City Dream_

thanks, I've just meant the eastern extention to Pudong airport. If so, and it will run above ground, then how far will it be from the Maglev line itself? Will they be seen together?

Old July 13th, 2009, 02:02 AM   #1174
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888 View Post
And interesting enough, to add on to your point, its mindboggling that even today with 250 km, Shanghai already has one of the largest subway systems in the world! All it needs is a couple of suburban rail networks and then it can rival Tokyo or New York in infrastructure
Well, as the largest city in China and one of the top 10 mega-metropolis in the world, Shanghai ought to have an extensive rapid transit network. Shanghai actually is still paying off the debt of lacking civil infrastructure investment from the days of planned economy. Shanghai is undoubtedly the most economically advanced region in China, it is the largest manufacturing center as well as the financial center of the country. Shanghai has always been and will continue to be the eldest brother of the family who has to look after all other siblings and contribute most of the income to the family. Traditionally the wealth of Shanghai has been heavily expropriated by the central planning committee in Beijing which left very little for Shanghai's own needs. It was not until 1990 when Shanghai was given more financial freedom to accomplish what it had accomplished today. Poor Shanghai.
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #1175
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codfish View Post
On the map liwentao_tom posted, there’s a little box pointing to Guanglan Road station that reads:

4节、8节车辆换乘站
浦东机场站至广兰路站为4节编组车辆
广兰路站至徐泾东站为8节编组车辆
乘客需在本站换乘

Translated:

4-car/8-car interchange station
Trains from Pudong Airport Station to Guanglan Lu Station will be 4-carriage
Trains from Guanglan Lu Station to Xujing East Station will be 8-carriage
Passengers must change trains at this station

That should answer your question!
Yeah, I could read that. It just wasn't entirely clear to me whether or not there would be some 8 car trains making the entire line 2 run.

Which brings up another question - if you MUST change to a 4 car train at Guanglan Road to continue on to Pudong Airport, why isn't the stretch from Guanglan Road to Pudong Airport considered a completely separate line, in the same way that Line 5 is basically a continuation of Line 1 south of Xinzhuang, just using smaller trains? Or is the long term plan to eventually have 8 car trains making the entire run from Pudong Airport to Xujing?
Old July 15th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #1176
napkcirtap

Quote:
Yeah, I could read that. It just wasn't entirely clear to me whether or not there would be some 8 car trains making the entire line 2 run.

Which brings up another question - if you MUST change to a 4 car train at Guanglan Road to continue on to Pudong Airport, why isn't the stretch from Guanglan Road to Pudong Airport considered a completely separate line, in the same way that Line 5 is basically a continuation of Line 1 south of Xinzhuang, just using smaller trains? Or is the long term plan to eventually have 8 car trains making the entire run from Pudong Airport to Xujing?
long term plan for some trains to run entire length, during midday and evenings. and frequency on exsiting line will decrease when all other lines are built. then u will have trains running from pvg to sha
Old July 21st, 2009, 08:57 PM   #1177
staff
囧!

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/?id=408141
Quote:
Shanghai transport cards work in other cities

By Tom Qian | 2009-7-21 | ONLINE EDITION

RESIDENTS in Shanghai can now use their transport cards in Wuxi, Kunshan and Changshu in neighboring Jiangsu Province and Fuyang in Anhui Province.

The card can also be used on buses in Suzhou and some taxis in Hangzhou. Hangzhou's transport card can be used on Bus No. 109 in Shanghai, according to Shanghai Morning Post report today.

The Shanghai transport authority is issuing a new transport card that travelers will be able to use in Yangtze Delta cities, each with a CPU card instead of a SIM card, according to an earlier Shanghai Daily report.

The authority is testing the new system and plans to have it working by the end of the year.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:58 AM   #1178
tonyhua

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
But Metro Line 2 WILL connect the two airports as of next year, and will be much cheaper to ride than any future Maglev connection. I think the municipality should cut its losses and not waste any more money on this overly expensive piece of technology.
No, you should notice the time spent. Most business people are not like waste time on travel. Line 2 will need 1 hours 30 minutes in 2 airports, while malgev only need 25 minutes. And the main function of Line 2 is not travel people between 2 airports, this task can be done by the "Airport No.1 Line" Shuttle Bus, it has non-stop, cost 30yuan and about 45 minutes (1 hour if in rush hours). Line 2 is used to travel people from airport to downtown or from downtown to airport.

And Line 2 will be extreme crowded in the peak hours, as it connects many business zone, such as Lujiazui ,Zhangjiang, so no one like in a crowded cab with luggage....

Above, all Line 2 is a low-end transportway, while malgev is a middle-high end
transportway.

Also, malgev is not expensive, it's build cost is similar as other metro network in Shanghai , about 3 billion/km. And it's passenger is simlar as the Airport Line of Beijing, while the desination of Beijing Airport Line is much near downtown.

Current price of malgev is a bit expensive as it is considred as "tourist", not "transport", I think if it come to Hongqiao, the price will not higher than 80 yuan.

Last edited by tonyhua; July 23rd, 2009 at 12:04 PM.
tonyhua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 03:08 PM   #1179
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyhua View Post
No, you should notice the time spent. Most business people are not like waste time on travel. Line 2 will need 1 hours 30 minutes in 2 airports, while malgev only need 25 minutes. And the main function of Line 2 is not travel people between 2 airports, this task can be done by the "Airport No.1 Line" Shuttle Bus, it has non-stop, cost 30yuan and about 45 minutes (1 hour if in rush hours). Line 2 is used to travel people from airport to downtown or from downtown to airport.

And Line 2 will be extreme crowded in the peak hours, as it connects many business zone, such as Lujiazui ,Zhangjiang, so no one like in a crowded cab with luggage....

Above, all Line 2 is a low-end transportway, while malgev is a middle-high end
transportway.
Precisely. The people previously complained about the lack of high-speed transport.

I think that trains with sufficient number of doors routinely manage to plan for 30 second dwell time. The nonstop trip Longyang Road to Pudong, about 35 km, is done in 7 min 30 second. So, how long is the extension from Longyang Road to Hongqiao, how many stops, and how long would the trip take?

If a metro is planned so as to have interchanges with maglev in the few maaglev station, perhaps it could be much faster to, say, take metro 5 km to Longyang Road, travel 7/12 min to Pudong station 35 km away and then travel back 5 km by the same metro line, rather than travel 25 km and as many stops straight by metro...
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 03:23 PM   #1180
napkcirtap

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Precisely. The people previously complained about the lack of high-speed transport.

I think that trains with sufficient number of doors routinely manage to plan for 30 second dwell time. The nonstop trip Longyang Road to Pudong, about 35 km, is done in 7 min 30 second. So, how long is the extension from Longyang Road to Hongqiao, how many stops, and how long would the trip take?

If a metro is planned so as to have interchanges with maglev in the few maaglev station, perhaps it could be much faster to, say, take metro 5 km to Longyang Road, travel 7/12 min to Pudong station 35 km away and then travel back 5 km by the same metro line, rather than travel 25 km and as many stops straight by metro...
shanghai should have had built express tracks for this particular line. the maglev should be more intergrated into the rapid transit system as well. the 2 trains don't serve as an airport shuttle. people transfering from one airport to another usually don't rely on subways.
example: u usually don't go from ohare to midway on the blue and orange lines. nor do you travel from newark to jfk on path to subway to airtrains either.

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram