daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 10th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #1301
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

What does everybody think about all the new lines having only 6 cars per train. Line 1 and 2 have 8 and are still crowded. Line 8 has 7 cars but they are a lot thinner than the rest of the lines. It seems that only Line 1 and Line 2 have 8 car trains. Why is this, wouldn't it make more sense to have 8 cars in all or most of the heavy rail lines? I think the new lines 7, 9 ext, 10, 11, and 13 will operate with the same trains as line four. The Trains on line 4 are pretty wide, but I think that 8 cars is a better option than 6. Does anyone agree/disagree with me on this?
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #1302
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldini View Post
What type of environmental effects does the maglev have on the people?
There is a bit of a grey area here - electromagnetic radiation has been bandied about (rather like mobile phone masts) - exactly how much of it is fact and how much hypochondria I'm not too sure. There's definitely some resistence to Maglev on these grounds.
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #1303
NCT
Not Cwite There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severiano View Post
What does everybody think about all the new lines having only 6 cars per train. Line 1 and 2 have 8 and are still crowded. Line 8 has 7 cars but they are a lot thinner than the rest of the lines. It seems that only Line 1 and Line 2 have 8 car trains. Why is this, wouldn't it make more sense to have 8 cars in all or most of the heavy rail lines? I think the new lines 7, 9 ext, 10, 11, and 13 will operate with the same trains as line four. The Trains on line 4 are pretty wide, but I think that 8 cars is a better option than 6. Does anyone agree/disagree with me on this?
I do think it's a bit short-sighted that new lines are not built to 8-car configurations. I can quite easily see demand for lines 7 and 10 for example shooting up straightaway.

Having light-rail trains for line 8 is the biggest planning disaster in history - the line goes through some of the densist parts of inner north Shanghai.

As for line 4 - most journeys made on this line are relatively short-distances, so I don't see 6-car trains as being a major issue for this line.
Old September 11th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #1304
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Are the platforms long enough to increase train-lengths to 8-cars?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #1305
maldini

Likes (Received): 75

They will just do some extra construction to extend the stations to accomodate 8 trains if needed. If this is the case, it will be a lot of hassel.
maldini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #1306
Severiano

Line 8 is light rail lines!!!! At least they are bigger than the cars in line6, and a little longer. Will line 7, 9, 10, 11, and 13 trains have the line 4 width or the line 8 width. I know Line 9 exists today, I have just never had a chance to ride it. Can someone that has ridden line 9 tell us what the subway cars are like?
Old September 12th, 2009, 04:14 AM   #1307
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severiano View Post
Line 8 is light rail lines!!!! At least they are bigger than the cars in line6, and a little longer. Will line 7, 9, 10, 11, and 13 trains have the line 4 width or the line 8 width. I know Line 9 exists today, I have just never had a chance to ride it. Can someone that has ridden line 9 tell us what the subway cars are like?
Line 9 uses two types of trains - the old Bombardier trains that used to be on Line 1, and a new type of Bombardier train that will also be used on Line 7. The width of the cars on Line 9 is much higher than that on lines 6 and 8, and more similar to the width of lines 1,2,3, and 4. I have no idea why the government went with such narrow trains on line 8 - that was a planning disaster and they'll have to rectify it at some point in the future. I have seen a line 10 or 11 (not sure which one) train at the depot on Line 1 near Jinjiang Park, and it looks to be wider as well. I don't think any of the new lines will be as narrow as lines 6 or 8.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #1308
Severiano

Well line 8 isn't as bad as line 6. I think they were just trying to save money in the short term. This will end up costing them big in the end tho. (I only thought N. America could mess up at building subways)

The Chinese version of the Shanghai Metro Wikipedia page has all the details of the rolling stock. According to the page, lines 15, 16, and 18 will also be light rail lines like line 5 and 6. Maybe this is because they don't pass through heavily populated areas. The problem is that Shanghai is only going to get bigger and a place with a small population may have a huge population by 2030. Luckily they won't start digging those lines for a few years so they might be able to learn from past mistakes.
Old September 12th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #1309
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Line 9 uses two types of trains - the old Bombardier trains that used to be on Line 1, and a new type of Bombardier train that will also be used on Line 7. The width of the cars on Line 9 is much higher than that on lines 6 and 8, and more similar to the width of lines 1,2,3, and 4. I have no idea why the government went with such narrow trains on line 8 - that was a planning disaster and they'll have to rectify it at some point in the future. I have seen a line 10 or 11 (not sure which one) train at the depot on Line 1 near Jinjiang Park, and it looks to be wider as well. I don't think any of the new lines will be as narrow as lines 6 or 8.
It was probably a Line 11 train because I remember seeing those on the news. As for Line 10, I read some time ago (dunno if they changed it recently) that they will be using 3.2m wide cars, which is significantly wider than even the cars used on lines 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 9, and 11 lines. 3.2m is as wide as the Singapore MRT and Taipei metro trains
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 07:13 AM   #1310
maldini

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
All things considered China is suitable for a Maglev network, which would be effective at reducing demand for domestic flight given the sheer size of the country. If there is one Maglev link between the two airports in Shanghai then then could essentially become one airport on two campuses.
Why would you need a maglev to connect the two airports? Both have its own international and domestic flights. Pudong airport is still expanding. It is a lot of hassles just to switch flights in the same airport. If you have to switch to maglev and then take the connecting flight at another airport, it is even more hassles and very inefficient.
With the extension of subway line 2 to Pudong airport and the future HSR, the maglev will be less useful. To make it more useful again, some people suggest an extension to Honqiao airport. But this idea is not logical. That is why some people suggest building a maglev link to Beijing. But there is the future HSR. You see, those people just keep on making up reason to make the maglev more justified.
maldini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #1311
Severiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888 View Post
It was probably a Line 11 train because I remember seeing those on the news. As for Line 10, I read some time ago (dunno if they changed it recently) that they will be using 3.2m wide cars, which is significantly wider than even the cars used on lines 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 9, and 11 lines. 3.2m is as wide as the Singapore MRT and Taipei metro trains
If they are 6 car trains with Taipei Metro width, it should be OK, I lived in Taipei and found the trains to be pretty wide, much wider than Shanghai (even line 1) Taipei also has 6 car trains too. My only worry is that Taipei is a village compared to Shanghai, so I think the best thing is to have 8 car trains at Taipei width. Something more like the HK metro. Those trains are monsterous!
Old September 13th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #1312
NCT
Not Cwite There

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldini View Post
Why would you need a maglev to connect the two airports? Both have its own international and domestic flights. Pudong airport is still expanding. It is a lot of hassles just to switch flights in the same airport. If you have to switch to maglev and then take the connecting flight at another airport, it is even more hassles and very inefficient.
With the extension of subway line 2 to Pudong airport and the future HSR, the maglev will be less useful. To make it more useful again, some people suggest an extension to Honqiao airport. But this idea is not logical. That is why some people suggest building a maglev link to Beijing. But there is the future HSR. You see, those people just keep on making up reason to make the maglev more justified.
At the moment there is a fairly clear international/domestic divide between the two airports, so some sort of a connection is far from unjustified. I can't say for certain but I think at the moment quite a lot of people DO take onward connecting flights from Hongqiao having landed at Pudong. If there are those who would verify or dispell this point I would be grateful.

As for HSR, I'm not sure if the lines currently under construction are desgined for speeds of 360 km/h or the more conventional 200. The debate between the 2 technologies is also far from over, and there are still facts that need to be ascertained.

We are just exploring the options here, so calm down.
Old September 15th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #1313
Severiano

I rode line 9 today, and I counted 6 car trains, with the same width as Line 1,2,3, and 4. According to the Shanghai Metro page, the specs on the trains say that they are actually wider than the ones in HK. But looking at it, it just doesn't seem that way. Am I wrong? Will they be using different trains once the line is extended?
Old September 15th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #1314
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

Taipei's cars are the widest I have ever seen on an underground metro. Very useful for a lot of standing passengers, if the seats are minimal and positioned along the sides (which they only just started doing in Taipei on new cars...older cars had seats in the front and rear ends positioned like regional trains).
Old September 18th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #1315
Severiano

臺北捷運太強
Old September 19th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #1316
dennis.deng

Likes (Received): 0

Line 6 and 8 should have the same width. Both lines were designed narrow to be able to conctruct narrower tunnels as well. The aim was to save construction cost.
As the operator also have realized the desaster they have at least added more trains on the lines already.
dennis.deng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #1317
lucaf1

Likes (Received): 92

The Translohr of Shanghai is now open?
lucaf1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 03:34 PM   #1318
ILAB

Likes (Received): 0

SHANGHAI | Bus

Hi,there.
Given it is my first thread,first up,allow me to introduce myself a lot.
My nickname is ILAB,it sounds a little bit like Arab.Actually,I`m not Arabian,.
ILAB is an abbreviation which equals to I love aticulated bus!
I come from China and now I`m living in Shanghai.

I have insisted on taking the pics of the articulated bus for a long time,though it
seized my a lot of leisure time,I still think it is worth doing that,`cos i love them.

I will share U with the only ten articulated buses in Shanghai.
All the ten buses are made by Qingnian-YOUNG MAN uniformly equiped with MAN`s
high fashion engine.They are all low floor buses make people get on and get off
more convenient,but they also bring a little bit trouble,when the buses drive to
the unsmooth road,they are always striken at the bottom,espicaly in the behind area.
From this,the fuel tank and the engine always go wrong.Up to now,there had been 7
articulated buses hit,3 were intact.It is no doubt the incident will shorten the bus using
longevity seriously.All the buses are run in No.85,headed to Lujiazui,the financial centre of Shanghai.

Actually,during 70s and 80s of last century,Shanghai`s streets were riddled
with the articulated buses.These buses used to show bad appearances,very
old and shabby.People were impressed deeply by their low speed.While they
were running,the engine sent out terrible sounds made passengers feel
uncomfortable.With the advent of development, these shabby buses were
phased out gradually and the VOLVO brand single buses are substituted for
them.It seems to move to the more advanced direction of buses riding circumstance.
The articulated buses disapeared since that time,and had not
been developped any longer.It had been more than 10 years elapsed sine the
articulated buses were massively phased out.People in Shanghai all but can
not imagine the high fashion articulated buses can be so technological.

But why?Arttributing to its running pattern.You know the buses in Shanghai
are all but self-service ticketing, which is to say,market-centric, so this defining
factor led the bus running companies to reduce cost at the first
opportunity,including the labor cost.In general,using the articuated buses
with 3 to 4 doors usually should set at least one ticket seller on each bus to
monitor the whole flow of self-service ticketing going,whereas the single
buses with only one drive, everything will be done much easier.So if using the
articulated buses,this running pattern will be less convenient,effective and
luctrative.But you may think why the articulated bus should be set a ticket
seller?Becuase it can not garuantee the passengers who get on bus from
the "back door" (located in the behind areas) will take their initiative in
paying the bus`s ride charge.I know some European countries, even some small
towns,in spite of their low population,they still choose to use the bus with large space.
They always hold this principle:the bigger bus, more comfortable the passengers will feel,
all these due to its stability.

Another ingredient for that they occupy more road space and show bluntly flexible
feature in their making turning.I think people nine to one are under the
impression that when they make turning,they will occupy more road space than
the single buses do.Actually,the 18m articulated buses` turning radius always
smaller than the 12m single bus`s.Know why?Owning to its perfect axle
distance.In summary,the ordinary articulated buses alway have three axles,
the distance between every two axles is almost equal. (A axle to
B`s,B`s to C`s.) In a nutshell, the turning road which 12m bus can pass,
the 18m articulated buses are bound to pass without effort,whereas the
18m articulated buses can pass one road,the 12m single bus may not.

Sine I do not know how to use the upload pics function here,I will try to insert my pics from other web.

Last edited by ILAB; November 3rd, 2009 at 03:33 PM.
ILAB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:31 PM   #1319
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

Well.. Here's the question. Why is that?

One would think a city the size of Shanghai would be using all articulated busses. Or at least have a mixture of busses closer to that of Beijing.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:17 PM   #1320
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD2 View Post
Well.. Here's the question. Why is that?

One would think a city the size of Shanghai would be using all articulated busses. Or at least have a mixture of busses closer to that of Beijing.
Articulated buses used to be very ubiquitous in Shanghai during the 80's and 90's. I looked for some pictures but could not find any. They were these really cheap old buses with colored strips along its body. They were gradually phased out in the late 90's and early 2000's.
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram