daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 30th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #1381
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severiano View Post
Great news, when I saw the sign that said Xujiahui was a virtual transfer station like Hongkou football stadium, I almost lost it. I am glad that that will only be temporary, that would have been a mess to have a virtual transfer at one of the busiest traffic hubs.
Based on the fact that it's only a temporary sticker on the map, it appears that it won't last long. Nor, it seems, will the virtual interchanges at Yishan Road (3/9 with 4), Shanghai Railway Station (3/4 with 1), and Hongkou Football Stadium (3 with 8), as they are all using temporary stickers on the new maps that are now showing up on the trains.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2009, 10:02 AM   #1382
Severiano

Likes (Received): 756

Line 9 opened today!!!! I rode from Xujiahui to Century Avenue. The Xujiahui is very nice although the tunnel for the transfer is not finished. Zhaojiabang road is very nice and it is very convenient to transfer to line 7, Madang road is wierd as there is only one escalator to transfer to line 13, Lujiaban road is also designed nicely with wide corridors and short distances between platforms. Century Ave, is also nice but very packed now that there are 4 lines going through it. Overall good job Shanghai! Ill give it a B+
Severiano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 10:09 AM   #1383
SoloSides
Registered Seattlite

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by liwentao_tom View Post
The Shanghai metro is one of the youngest in the world and among the most rapidly expanding. After the first line opened only in 1995 as a north-south axis from the Central Station to the southern suburbs, by the end of 2007 the network had reached a total length of 227 km, with 161 stations and 8 lines!
If only they could build other metros that fast
Old December 31st, 2009, 10:49 AM   #1384
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2079

And just 2 years after that, those stats are already way outdated. In the mean time, the network has grown another 100 kms and boasts 10 lines.

Mind boggling.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:59 AM   #1385
liwentao_tom

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloSides View Post
If only they could build other metros that fast
Edited:
by the end of 2009 the network had reached a total length of 330 km, with 221 stations and 10 lines! (Not including the Maglev line...)

Average daily ridership : 3.58 million (2009) (Highest: 5.27 million 2009.12.31)
It's amazing that the ridership increases so fast!
liwentao_tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:03 AM   #1386
liwentao_tom

Likes (Received): 19

The BIG map
http://www.shmetro.com/zbdt/overall.jpg

New ridership record set on Dec. 31 ,2009.... 5.27 million !!
ridership of every line:
1: 1.40 million
2: 1.23 million
3: 0.54 million
4: 0.73 million
5: 0.15 million
6: 0.22 million
7: 0.17 million
8: 0.53 million
9: 0.25 million
11: 0.036 million

And the latest peak hour frequencies

line 1: 2'45" (main line) 5'30" ( northern extension)
line 2: 3'09"
line 3: 5' (main line) 16'30"( northern extension)
line 4: 5'
line 5: 4'30"
line 6: 6'/12'
line 7: 6'
line 8: 4'/12' (since Jan 10 ,2010)
line 9: 6'
line 11: 9'30"

Last edited by liwentao_tom; January 2nd, 2010 at 05:13 AM.
liwentao_tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:57 AM   #1387
ddes

Likes (Received): 924

Amazing... I'm not sure if it's abit much but could you guys post many more pictures of the Shanghai Metro?
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:23 PM   #1388
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2079

Liwentao Tom: when will lines 10 and 13 open?
Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:14 PM   #1389
P05
Agur eta ohore

Likes (Received): 2271

Quote:
Originally Posted by liwentao_tom View Post
Edited:
by the end of 2009 the network had reached a total length of 330 km, with 221 stations and 10 lines! (Not including the Maglev line...)

Average daily ridership : 3.58 million (2009) (Highest: 5.27 million 2009.12.31)
It's amazing that the ridership increases so fast!
Average daily ridership was 3.06 million a year ago, so it has risen almost 20% in just one year.
Old January 11th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #1390
loveciye

Likes (Received): 2

Some pictures of line 11

Last edited by loveciye; January 12th, 2010 at 01:04 AM.
loveciye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #1391
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Do these record count the elder people riding the subway everyday? From what i know, they do not go through the electrical gates, but someone manually let them in from somewhere else.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:55 AM   #1392
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

^It should. They've got gates at every station (they are marked in purple so they're pretty obvious) that are able to read the 老人卡 (old person's card) so they don't need to be manually let in anymore.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 04:57 AM   #1393
ddes

Likes (Received): 924

One of the 'regrets' I have for the Shanghai Metro is that they didn't opt for high capacity 3.2m wide rolling stock on lines 1 and 2.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 03:36 AM   #1394
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

SHANGHAI | Translohr

The construction of Shanghai Translohr tram way was completed in early 2009. The system then went on a seemingly endless road test for more than half a year, nobody knew exactly when it would start revenue operation. I was in Shanghai for a month from December 2009 to January 2010, I didn't give any hope that I could still ride the Translohr tram during my stay in Shanghai, I would be contended to take photos of empty cars conducting road tests.

Next photo is the location where I took the above photos. The Translohr tram way is constructed in the township of Zhangjiang which is in the heartland area of Pudong. Nowadays Zhangjiang is readily accessible from downtown Shanghai since it is linked by Metro Line 2.

Longitudinal streets in Zhangjiang are named after foreingn scientists such as Charles Darwin, Marie Currie, Issac Newton, in this case Daerwen (Charles Darwin) Road; and latitudinal streets are named after ancient Chinese scientists, in this case Huatuo, a herblist/accupuncturist/surgeon/anethesiologist.

But on the morming of December 30th, 2009, while listening to radio news on AM channel 990, I suddenly heard the breaking news that Translohr tram was to start revenue service on the following morning. Since AM 990 was the municipal government radio station, this was the official announcement of the exact date of service operation of the long anticipated tram line, and I was absolutely thrilled by the news.

It was not until Friday, January 8th, the day before my daparture from Shanghai back to Edmonton, when I finally had a chance to ride the cutting edge tram. The ridership was OK given the service was only inaugurated one week ago. The speed limit was 40km/hr, but it was a very smooth ride, smoother than the shoddy Sunwin trolley-bus. To open the door, one would have to press the green door button to activate the door, and each tram was crewed by one conductor whose responsibitlity was to supervisor the fare payment, and a driver. I gradually realized that in a place as vastly open as Shanghai, Zhangjiang High Tech was the place best suited for the Translohr. Here it was not far from downtown Shanghai and linked by an existing subway line, traffic was relatively light to cause conflict with the tram way, and with the establishment of industrial park, provided a steady flow of ridership. After the ride, I gave a sincere well wish to this rubber tire tram system for her eventual success and very bright future.

ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 05:26 AM   #1395
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

I have attached a set of photos of Subway Line 5 from my recent trip to Shanghai. The Minhang Development Zone Station is the terminal station of the line. Since the entire Line 5 is elevated except at the beginning of the line (Xinzhuang 莘庄), I choose to photograph Minhang station to show the abrupt ending of the via-duct that supports this urban rail system. The via-duct extended 150 meters beyond the station to allow the installation of a pair of scissor crossing tracks for trains to switch track and head back to the city. The station is located at the intersection of Dongchuan Road(东川路)/Tianxing Road(天星路), which is in a rather desolated area where vegetable field is gradually being converted to industrial use land.

The next set was taken from an intermediate station, the Dongchuan Road (东川路) Station which is located at the intersection of Humin Road (沪闵路) and Dongchuan Road (东川路). This station is located just north of a curvature segment, therefore it exposes an approaching train negotiating the curvature from far to near.

Another station at Zhuanqiao (颛桥), photographed from a pedestrian overpass.

The Line 5 garage.

Last edited by ode of bund; January 25th, 2010 at 09:50 PM.
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #1396
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

Nice pictures. The running way should have been built all concrete. The asphalt is going to wear out really quick.
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:36 PM   #1397
JoKo65

Likes (Received): 86

Translohr is more a guided bus than a tram.
Old January 21st, 2010, 06:40 PM   #1398
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

It isn't nor a guided bus nor a tram.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 08:41 PM   #1399
JoKo65

Likes (Received): 86

According to law it seems to be a bus – it has a numberplate.

P. S.: German wikipedia calls it a "guided trolley bus".
Old January 21st, 2010, 09:55 PM   #1400
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

I haven't anything good about this systems. There have been numerous derailments in systems installed in Italy.

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram