daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 23rd, 2010, 04:52 PM   #1421
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

I'm interested to know what the advantages are over a conventional tram system. Obviously if only one manufacturer can make the vehicles that's an obvious disadvantage, so why do these systems get constructed? Presumably when feasibility studies are done planners must see some good reason, but I'm struggling to see it myself.
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2010, 01:10 AM   #1422
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Is a map available for the system? In which district of Shanghai does it run?
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 01:30 AM   #1423
Knuddel Knutsch

Likes (Received): 286

imo this system is such an unbelievable crap.....but well---if the shanghai government wants it, then they should go for it.
In 10 years from now they will replace it either by a bus, or more likely, by a real tram.
Old January 24th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #1424
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairnsTony View Post
I'm interested to know what the advantages are over a conventional tram system.
There aren't: costs are similar or higher than a tramway, especially for maintenance, and the claimed ability of the Translohr to climb a 13% slope is often useless as trams can climb the 10%, that is enough for most cities.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 06:52 AM   #1425
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
Is a map available for the system? In which district of Shanghai does it run?
Here is the map. The Translohr Tram is running entirely in the township of Zhangjiang, which is designated as a high tech industrial park, in the heartland of Pudong (east shore of River Huangpu) New District. Translohr tram is about 9 km in total length.

Last edited by ode of bund; January 24th, 2010 at 07:34 PM.
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #1426
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Thanks for posting the map! So for mere mortals, it starts from Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park station, terminus of metro line 2. That's only one metro station away from Longyang Road maglev stop. Too bad I didn't know of it when I had a stopover in Shanghai in December!
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #1427
ode of bund

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
Thanks for posting the map! So for mere mortals, it starts from Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park station, terminus of metro line 2. That's only one metro station away from Longyang Road maglev stop. Too bad I didn't know of it when I had a stopover in Shanghai in December!
Yes, Longyang Road now is also a subway interchange station with line 7. Wouldn't it be nice if line 2, line 7, Translohr, and Mag-lev are all together.
Old January 25th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #1428
pearl_river

Likes (Received): 1

Thanks for the pictures but please edit the size so this thread isn't so difficult to load. Or just post 3 or 4 pictures.
pearl_river no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #1429
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101492

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
One of the 'regrets' I have for the Shanghai Metro is that they didn't opt for high capacity 3.2m wide rolling stock on lines 1 and 2.
The fact that the train is wider doesn't necessarily mean the whole line capacity will be higher. I think shorter headways are a better solution.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

Zaz965 liked this post
_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #1430
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
The fact that the train is wider doesn't necessarily mean the whole line capacity will be higher. I think shorter headways are a better solution.
headways are already at technically achieveable minimal during peak hours.

The tunnels and station platforms weren't built for 3.2M trains, so any growth in capacity will involve unrealisticly large investments in both time and money and therefore, probably won't happen.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #1431
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

Quote:
There's something called ceteris paribus and something else called economies of scale...
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #1432
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101492

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD2 View Post
headways are already at technically achieveable minimal during peak hours.

The tunnels and station platforms weren't built for 3.2M trains, so any growth in capacity will involve unrealisticly large investments in both time and money and therefore, probably won't happen.
Do you mean 5 minutes during rush hour is the technically achievable minimal headway? I don't think so. There are examples in the world with 85 - 90 seconds headways.

I agree that it will be worth too much to enlarge tunnels and other infrastructure but I don't consider this.
However, larger and wider trains are heavier and, as a result, they would require more energy to accelerate, more powerful engines and more efficient brake system.

And we shouldn't leave out such performance as train's commercial speed. Heavier trains usually are slower in this respect.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

Zaz965 liked this post
_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #1433
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Do you mean 5 minutes during rush hour is the technically achievable minimal headway? I don't think so. There are examples in the world with 85 - 90 seconds headways.
Line 1 is already operating at close to 90 second headways at rush hour, and Line 2 headways are also significantly less than 5 minutes.

However, I think that the additional capacity for Line 1 and 2 will not come from expanding these lines, but rather from the additional north-south and east-west capacities added by Lines 7 and 10, which should reduce the rush hour crush on lines 1 and 2.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #1434
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Im pretty sure that during the day line 2 comes every 2.5 minutes? I never had to wait more than 3 minutes for line 2 during daytime and evening.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #1435
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

Whoever changed the title of this thread got it wrong - there is no Shanghai Subway. The English translation of the name of the system is Shanghai METRO. Other Chinese cities may translate the Chinese word 地铁 as 'Subway' (such as Beijing) but Shanghai translates it as 'Metro'. Please change the title of this thread to reflect the proper name of the system and avoid confusion. Thanks.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #1436
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

Line 2 operates at about just over every 3 minutes during peaks:

http://www.shmetro.com/node41/node46.../con100173.htm

Edit: P.S. Agree with the Chemist on thread title.
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #1437
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Whoever changed the title of this thread got it wrong - there is no Shanghai Subway. The English translation of the name of the system is Shanghai METRO. Other Chinese cities may translate the Chinese word 地铁 as 'Subway' (such as Beijing) but Shanghai translates it as 'Metro'. Please change the title of this thread to reflect the proper name of the system and avoid confusion. Thanks.
and i thought Metro is more or less just the French way of saying... well... subway. It's a circle of indifference.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #1438
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

The virus reached mainland Venice: http://www.ferrovie.it/ferrovie.vis/...vp.php?id=2651

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #1439
pearl_river

Likes (Received): 1

Is there no mention of when the next lines will open?

The habit of vague opening dates always struck me as disorganized.
pearl_river no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #1440
ode of bund

Line 7 and Line 9 phase II will launch full time operation on the first working day after the Lunar New Year. Starting February 20th, Line 7 and Line 9 (Yishan Road ~ Century Avenue stretch 宜山路至世纪大道段) will operate at normal business hours. In Shanghai, normal metro business hours means from 5:30 to 22:30.

Line 11 will not launch normal business hour operation though, this line will continue to operate from 9:00 to 16:00 under the term test operation.

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram