daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 18th, 2010, 05:24 AM   #1621
liwentao_tom

Likes (Received): 19

line 10

Last edited by liwentao_tom; April 19th, 2010 at 03:36 PM.
liwentao_tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2010, 05:44 AM   #1622
liwentao_tom

Likes (Received): 19

Last edited by liwentao_tom; April 19th, 2010 at 03:38 PM.
liwentao_tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #1623
Peloso

Likes (Received): 247

Great stations! And great pics of them, thanks!
The indication arrows on the floor are a smart solution!
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #1624
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1203

Awesome pics man

Quote:
Originally Posted by liwentao_tom View Post
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="5"]
Here the train is not precisely aligned with the platform screen doors. Are these trains operated manually or with ATO ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by liwentao_tom View Post
Why one of the seats is differently coloured ? It it reserved seat ?
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #1625
Lei Fu

Likes (Received): 0

Probably for the disabled people
Lei Fu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 10:54 PM   #1626
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 04:40 AM   #1627
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6892

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek901 View Post
Awesome pics man

Here the train is not precisely aligned with the platform screen doors. Are these trains operated manually or with ATO ?
manually
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 04:48 AM   #1628
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6892

uh oh uh oh, the sinophobes will be so disappointed when they see traditional characters are not banned in the mainland :P
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 05:04 AM   #1629
fan221
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Shanghai metro is beautiful, and Yantze Delta Region where it seems booming more so that Manila and Seoul's spooky part.

fan221 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 05:31 AM   #1630
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
manually
Actually, I'm pretty sure it's automatic. I've stood behind the driver's door on the Alstom trains used on Line 1 (basically the same model as on Line 10, just slightly narrower) and watched the driver of the train through the window (only able to see above ground because of the smoked glass) - he basically did nothing for the entire journey between stations. The train appeared to be running almost completely automatically. I'd imagine Line 10 is the same.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #1631
Abhishek901

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Actually, I'm pretty sure it's automatic. I've stood behind the driver's door on the Alstom trains used on Line 1 (basically the same model as on Line 10, just slightly narrower) and watched the driver of the train through the window (only able to see above ground because of the smoked glass) - he basically did nothing for the entire journey between stations. The train appeared to be running almost completely automatically. I'd imagine Line 10 is the same.
Automatic train operation does not depends on the kind of the train. It does not comes pre-installed in the train. It is lines, which are automated and not the trains. If line 1 is automated, it does not means that line 10 will be automated if it uses the same rolling stock.

Many times the decisions to have ATO depends on the required capacity of the line. ATO increases the maximum possible frequency and hence the capacity.
Old April 19th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #1632
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Automatic train operation does not depends on the kind of the train. It does not comes pre-installed in the train. It is lines, which are automated and not the trains. If line 1 is automated, it does not means that line 10 will be automated if it uses the same rolling stock.

Many times the decisions to have ATO depends on the required capacity of the line. ATO increases the maximum possible frequency and hence the capacity.
Well, given the wider rolling stock on Line 10 compared to Line 1, I'd say that it was designed for at least as high capacity as Line 1. So I'd say it's likely that ATO is on Line 10 if it is, as I suspect, also on Line 1.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #1633
Abhishek901

Quote:
Well, given the wider rolling stock on Line 10 compared to Line 1, I'd say that it was designed for at least as high capacity as Line 1. So I'd say it's likely that ATO is on Line 10 if it is, as I suspect, also on Line 1.
High capacity is one of the reason but not the only reason. You need to confirm from some media source to find that it is ATO or not (metro websites generally don't tell these things). I doubted because the train was not precisely aligned with the PSDs, which is not the case in ATO. Or may be the line has ATO but the trains were operated manually at that time because of some glitch.
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #1634
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

ATO is standard on Shanghai Metro, but when new lines open there is usually a period of manual operation. Local sources seem to suggest line 10 is currently manually operated. Alignment with platform screen doors isn't the only problem - less-than-smooth acceleration and deceleration has also been reported.
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #1635
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Line 10 has wider rolling stock? I remember reading a couple of years back that Line 10 trains would be 3.2m wide, is that true? They don't look wider than the trains on Line 1...
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #1636
Abhishek901

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
ATO is standard on Shanghai Metro, but when new lines open there is usually a period of manual operation. Local sources seem to suggest line 10 is currently manually operated.
Why so ?

Quote:
Alignment with platform screen doors isn't the only problem - less-than-smooth acceleration and deceleration has also been reported.
Acceleration is equally smooth in manually operated and automatically operated lines/trains, that's what I have experienced here in Delhi after using different lines many times. It is because while accelerating, the operator has just to push the lever so as to constantly accelerate the train, while slowing down, the operator has to make sure that he stops the train at exact place. Because of this he drives cautiously with variable deceleration leading to jerky feeling.
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #1637
NCT
Not Cwite There

Quote:
Why so ?
It's the period of trial operation, when things perhaps aren't 'quite ready' and teething troubles are experienced with signalling etc.

Quote:
Acceleration is equally smooth in manually operated and automatically operated lines/trains, that's what I have experienced here in Delhi after using different lines many times. It is because while accelerating, the operator has just to push the lever so as to constantly accelerate the train, while slowing down, the operator has to make sure that he stops the train at exact place. Because of this he drives cautiously with variable deceleration leading to jerky feeling.
That bit may be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888 View Post
Line 10 has wider rolling stock? I remember reading a couple of years back that Line 10 trains would be 3.2m wide, is that true? They don't look wider than the trains on Line 1...
I think they finally settled with standard loading gauge stock 3m wide.
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #1638
Abhishek901

Quote:
It's the period of trial operation, when things perhaps aren't 'quite ready' and teething troubles are experienced with signalling etc.
Trial operation usually start a month before completion of a line, isn't it ?

Or they look for full scale real time trial during first few months ?

Quote:
I think they finally settled with standard loading gauge stock 3m wide.
What is the usual width of rolling stock in Shanghai. I guess all the lines have standard gauge ?
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #1639
NCT
Not Cwite There

Quote:
Trial operation usually start a month before completion of a line, isn't it ?

Or they look for full scale real time trial during first few months ?
Line 10 is only operating 0900-1600, with a frequency of every 8 minutes (compared with the standard every 3 minutes). Lines 7, 11 and extension of 9 that opened earlier this year started like this too. This really is a compromise solution, as the openings of these lines have all been rushed. Having a 9-16 reduced frequency trial operation gives the impression of a nice early opening date while not jeopardising safety.

Quote:
What is the usual width of rolling stock in Shanghai. I guess all the lines have standard gauge ?
Most lines have the 3m wide stock, but lines 5, 6 and 8 that were done on the cheap and some future outer orbital lines use a smaller stock which are IIRC 2.6m wide.
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #1640
Abhishek901

Quote:
Line 10 is only operating 0900-1600, with a frequency of every 8 minutes (compared with the standard every 3 minutes). Lines 7, 11 and extension of 9 that opened earlier this year started like this too. This really is a compromise solution, as the openings of these lines have all been rushed. Having a 9-16 reduced frequency trial operation gives the impression of a nice early opening date while not jeopardising safety.
That explains it. Only few days left for expo now :O. But it was still a commendable performance to build so many lines in short time and on schedule.

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram