daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 1st, 2010, 12:12 AM   #1661
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

Line 13 is running a shuttle service, using rolling stock from line 9.
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:55 PM   #1662
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

Dog fight over a fare dispute of ¥1.00 RMB (=U$ 0.15) on a Shanghai bus.

http://www.56.com/u53/v_NTA2MTAzMzg.html

The bitch is shouting the dirtiest profanity in Shanghai dialect.
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:11 PM   #1663
Deng

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
A way of increasing passenger throughput would be to increase frequency. AFAIK, many Shanghai lines run at a rather low frequency compared to other city's metros.
Does anyone know why this is? I've seen charts somewhere that state that even on lines 1 & 2 the shortest time between trains is 3 minutes. Is this a signaling issue or what? Is there a shortage or rolling stock? For some reason I doubt the latter.

Congestion on these two lines was bad when I was there in 08. I fear what it will be like in my upcoming trip.
Deng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:27 PM   #1664
NCT
Not Cwite There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deng View Post
Does anyone know why this is? I've seen charts somewhere that state that even on lines 1 & 2 the shortest time between trains is 3 minutes. Is this a signaling issue or what? Is there a shortage or rolling stock? For some reason I doubt the latter.

Congestion on these two lines was bad when I was there in 08. I fear what it will be like in my upcoming trip.
I don't know if signalling is an issue but lack of rolling stock definitely is one. There are only a handful of manufacturers in China but new lines are opening left right and centre.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:53 PM   #1665
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
I don't know if signalling is an issue but lack of rolling stock definitely is one. There are only a handful of manufacturers in China but new lines are opening left right and centre.
In such a situation, why don't they import rolling stock from other companies around the world to complement the domestic stock ?
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:35 AM   #1666
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek901 View Post
In such a situation, why don't they import rolling stock from other companies around the world to complement the domestic stock ?
Probably because the Chinese government imposes heavy import duties on manufactured goods from abroad - that's why companies wanting to do business in China set up manufacturing joint ventures in the country, rather than importing their products from abroad.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:46 AM   #1667
Deng

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
Really?? Well hopefully as the supply of rolling stock catches up with demand we will see better frequencies and thus less congestion.
Deng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:58 AM   #1668
pearl_river

Likes (Received): 1

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/30/wo...0shanghai.html

Shanghai’s infrastructure has been upgraded over the past several years with new roads, bridges, tunnels and airport terminals. Three weeks ago, a new 18.6-mile subway line opened in the western part of the city — the 11th since the city’s subway system first opened in 1995.

“After we won the right to host the Expo in 2002, we planned to construct 970 kilometers of underground track in the future and at least 400 kilometers by 2020,” said Zheng Shiling, who teaches at Tongji University in Shanghai. “But today, we already have 410 kilometers of underground track. We’ve fulfilled our plan 10 years early.”
pearl_river no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 02:14 AM   #1669
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6892

Quote:
Originally Posted by ode of bund View Post
Dog fight over a fare dispute of ¥1.00 RMB (=U$ 0.15) on a Shanghai bus.

http://www.56.com/u53/v_NTA2MTAzMzg.html

The bitch is shouting the dirtiest profanity in Shanghai dialect.
lol, this is just hilarious
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #1670
philip
The Picture Guy

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deng View Post
I've seen charts somewhere that state that even on lines 1 & 2 the shortest time between trains is 3 minutes.
That's not true. I lived in Shanghai for 3 months last year, and the shortest time between trains is 30 seconds. Yes, I actually counted because I was surprised at how fast the next train comes in just moments after the previous train leaves.

I have counted and the shortest time is 30 seconds, and it's pretty consistent during rush hours. However, even that is still not enough to alleviate congestion at major stations since most trains are already full when they come into the station, so not many people can get on it.
Old May 4th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #1671
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2079

30 seconds might be the interval between a few trains, but keeping that frequency consistent is just not feasible. That would mean 120 tph, which would also have to reverse at their terminus.
I think counting the number of trains for a time period of approx. 1 hour would have yielded a more accurate result.

It would be interesting to see some official numbers, though. They're probably very hard to come by, if you don't understand Chinese.
Old May 4th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #1672
NCT
Not Cwite There

Peak frequencies for the core parts of lines 1 and 2 are both around every 3 minutes. Apparently consistent gaps of 30 seconds between the first train leaving and second one arriving is plausible if you consider a combination of factors such as dwell time and service inconsistency.

Official statistics are here on the official website:

http://www.shmetro.com/node41/node46.../con100172.htm

See the tables at the bottom of the page - you should be able to just make out the frequencies even if you can't read Chinese.

There is no conspiracy or issues with outdated information. The rolling stock is comprehensively documented by enthusiasts and the number of vehicles, running times and frequencies are all consistent of each other.
Old May 4th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #1673
Abhishek901

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. There might be some "bunching" of trains in rush hours because of some reasons which makes one think that trains are arriving very frequently. They might be clearing the previous log created because of some disruption in service.

If you want to calculate the frequency of trains manually, then you must include the dwell time too. For example if a trains stops at a station for 30 sec and next train arrives after 30 sec of previous train, then the frequency will be 60 sec.
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #1674
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2079

That's right. Or, more simply: calculate the difference in time between the first train arriving and the next one arriving. Repeat that over the next hour or so; the average time interval will give you a good heads-up on overall frequency (depending on the time of day, of course - rush hour frequencies usually tend to be higher than late evening frequencies ).
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:20 AM   #1675
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

A train every 3 minutes is 20tph and is rather unimpressive. Lines in Paris/Moscow run at 36-38tph in peaks. Basically, Shanghai could almost double the capacity of their lines if they increase frequency. No need to start planning parallel lines yet.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #1676
allurban
All Urban

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl_river View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/30/wo...0shanghai.html

Shanghai’s infrastructure has been upgraded over the past several years with new roads, bridges, tunnels and airport terminals. Three weeks ago, a new 18.6-mile subway line opened in the western part of the city — the 11th since the city’s subway system first opened in 1995.

“After we won the right to host the Expo in 2002, we planned to construct 970 kilometers of underground track in the future and at least 400 kilometers by 2020,” said Zheng Shiling, who teaches at Tongji University in Shanghai. “But today, we already have 410 kilometers of underground track. We’ve fulfilled our plan 10 years early.”
Wow. What else can be said?

Cheers, m

w. http://transitmy.org
e. [email protected]
tw. http://twitter.com/transitmy
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TRANSI...12392362108880
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #1677
Abhishek901

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
A train every 3 minutes is 20tph and is rather unimpressive. Lines in Paris/Moscow run at 36-38tph in peaks. Basically, Shanghai could almost double the capacity of their lines if they increase frequency. No need to start planning parallel lines yet.
Yeah. 40 trains per hour is achievable with today's ATO (automatic train operations) technology and I think many lines of Shanghai have ATO. But the reason for low frequency is the shortage of rolling stock as somebody suggested. So I think this is a temporary problem and will get solved with arrival of new rolling stock.
Old May 7th, 2010, 05:15 AM   #1678
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 16053

Posted by jiadream.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.

Zaz965 liked this post
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #1679
Abhishek901

Is it 2020 plan or beyond ?
Old May 7th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #1680
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

^That's a very cool map. Is it based on official plans for 2020? Or even further into the future? Is there really a plan to cut off the south end of Line 3 and convert the shared section between 3 and 4 to Line 4 only?
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram