daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 7th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #1761
sickasick

Likes (Received): 4

about 1.3 million in July. Line 1 has similar ridership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek901 View Post
What is the average weekday ridership on line 2 ?
sickasick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #1762
sickasick

Likes (Received): 4

One stupid guy got arrested for jumping onto the tracks and filming underneath a train in Shanghai.

Maybe he thought that 10 days in jail and psychology consultation would be worthwhile for the 'fame' he wanted on the internet.

A video clip is available from the link.

Quote:

Newslink

Dare Devil Jumps Under Train - And Lives!

4:14pm UK, Friday August 06, 2010
Alan McGuinness, Sky News Online

A dare devil who filmed himself jumping under a train in China said he did it in the hope of achieving online fame.

The 28-year-old performed the stunt one night at a deserted station on the Shanghai subway.

He filmed a train pulling into the platform and jumped onto the tracks as it drew close.

He then lay flat on his back and carried on filming as the train passed overhead.

The whole incident was captured on CCTV.

The train conductor slammed on the brakes and, fearing the worst, went to check under the train.

To his amazement the man he had just run over was standing before him alive and well.

He told him he had slipped off the platform but confessed it was a stunt after he was arrested by police.

He said: "(I thought) if I filmed from under the train, I would get a great view down there as the train passes over.

"I thought it would be interesting, so I wanted to do it."
sickasick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #1763
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Part 2

Hanzhong Road Station, Line 1

image hosted on flickr

One stop and we're at Shanghai Railway Station...

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I was heading for Suzhou so I hopped on a CRH train bound for Nanjing. The journey is about 80 km and 36 min long.
Suzhou Station:

image hosted on flickr

The area outside the station is a confusing mess of buses, taxis, cars, and people.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Main bus stop outside the station.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I decided to hoof it to most of the places I wanted to see. I caught this bus stop on my way to the Beisita (Beisi Pagoda), visible in the background.

image hosted on flickr

After a nightmare trying to get tickets back to Shanghai and spending five hours waiting at Suzhou Station (that's another story), we fast forward to the next day.
East Nanjing Road Station, Line 10. Apparently, I got up a little too early, and after transferring from Line 2, ended up waiting for the station staff to open the Line 10 platforms.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Yuyuan Garden Station

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I got in very early at the garden, which was good because there weren't that many people around. But things quickly picked up and the place was packed with tourists, so before long, I was off to pick up my Expo tickets.

image hosted on flickr

There were a couple ways to get to the Expo site from my hotel, but all requiring a transfer or two.
I opted to take Line 1 and transfer at People's Square to Line 10, getting off at Yaohua Road at the southern half of the Expo site.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

People transferring from Line 1 and Line 2.

image hosted on flickr

Yaohua Road Station

image hosted on flickr

To be continued...
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 04:19 AM   #1764
quashlo

Part 3

Now, a few shots of the Expo transport system.
First, a bus stop along Shibo Dadao ("Expo Avenue" or "Shibo Avenue"). Most of the major roads within the Expo site have frequent bus service, but when I went in mid-May, the buses were much too crowded... Probably because the site itself is too large and sights too far spread out, making for lots of tired feet.

image hosted on flickr

Perhaps for me, the most interesting transport-related thing at the Expo were these supercapacitor buses.
Each stop is a charging location.

image hosted on flickr

The bus stops underneath the charging location and recharges while boarding passengers.

image hosted on flickr

Finished charging and ready to go.

image hosted on flickr

The Expo site spans both sides of the Huangpu River, and in addition to a metro line (Line 13 or the "Expo Line"), there is also a ferry network that allows Expo visitors to cross the river.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Now a look at Line 13. This is Lupu Bridge Station, the intermediate station serving the north Expo site. The other two stations are Madang Road Station (connection with Line 9 and the rest of the network) and Shibo Avenue Station, serving the south Expo site.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Platform 2 for Madang Road:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

A look inside the trains:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

To be continued...
Old August 9th, 2010, 04:32 AM   #1765
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

Thanks for the pictures.

Does anyone know what will happen to the short Expo section of Line 13 after the Expo is over? Will it be shut down until the rest of Line 13 is completed in 2012? That's my guess, but I could be wrong.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #1766
quashlo

Part 4

Now some morning rush hour pics, taken Tuesday, May 18.
First is Line 8, People's Square. The design is a typical island platform, but with an additional side platform in the southbound direction towards Dashijie.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Passengers interchanging with Line 1 and Line 2.

image hosted on flickr

Approximately four-minute headways during the morning peak period.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Doors open on both sides.

image hosted on flickr

Another train arriving.

image hosted on flickr

Another Expo visitor, perhaps...

image hosted on flickr

Next, we move to Line 2, the critical east-west link in the network. Trains are eight cars (6M2T), approximately 190 m long, 3m wide.
Westbound to West Nanjing Road and Zhongshan Park.

image hosted on flickr

The opposite direction, eastbound to East Nanjing Road and Lujiazui.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

In transport planning we call this "over-saturation."

image hosted on flickr

Frequency is advertised as a train every 3m20s on Line 2 during the morning rush, but it's clear headways are irregular. I did a few quick headway surveys (these are from departure of first train to departure of following train):

Eastbound (2010/05/18): 3:30, 5:16, 3:04, 1:50
Westbound (2010/05/19): 3:55, 7:02, 2:30

====================

Next, I was off to Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park, which was much less hectic.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Back into the thick of things a bit as we exit the station. This station basically serves a giant office / research park.

image hosted on flickr

Taxi pool (nearside) and a bus terminal (farside) outside the station.

image hosted on flickr

Ped scramble.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

To be continued...
Old September 8th, 2010, 04:49 AM   #1767
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

Line 20

hmm, this thread is not active at all...anyway, some update a month ago..

Line 20, construction will start next year, scheduled to open in 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
Line 20

length: 35km
stations: 11
Connect with line 2 (west - east direction)

(sina.com)

wiki introduction
Quote:
Shanghai Metro Line 20, also called Qingpu Line or Qingpu Part of West Extension of Line 2, formerly is treated as part of Line 2, is a metro line that planned to construction between 2010~2020, this line starts from Hongqiao Railway Station, Minhang District, to Oriental Land, Qingpu District, this line's length is 35.2 km, will have 11 stations. This line can only interchange with lines 2, 5 (northern sector), 10 and 17.
Old September 8th, 2010, 05:11 AM   #1768
fragel

6.735 million! New ridership record set on Chinese Valentine's day

report on SH metro official website

This year's August 16th is the Chinese Valentine's day, i.e. Qixi Festival. Ridership of Shanghai metro reached 6.735 million on that day, which was the 16th record breaker in 2010.

Ridership of each line (Line 2 is still number one):
Line 1: 1.31 million
Line 2: 1.32 million
Line 3: 0.52 million
Line 4: 0.79 million
Line 5: 0.13 million
Line 6: 0.27 million
Line 7: 0.57 million
Line 8: 0.70 million
Line 9: 0.50 million
Line10: 0.30 million
Line11: 0.19 million
Line13: 0.13 million

Line 8,9 and 10 each set respective ridership record.
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:01 PM   #1769
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

I have heard of the latest plans for metro in Shanghai and now are... 33 lines!!! And 1.7 megameters!!! (Yep, 1700 kilometers!) It's that true? .

Anyway, that it's...
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #1770
mopc

Likes (Received): 11945

image hosted on flickr

Supercapacitor busses
mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #1771
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
I have heard of the latest plans for metro in Shanghai and now are... 33 lines!!! And 1.7 megameters!!! (Yep, 1700 kilometers!) It's that true? .

Anyway, that it's...
From what source?
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 06:03 AM   #1772
fragel

I also would like to know the source for the 33 line plan, for I've read about it in various threads but none of them seemed to be official. It is far beyond my expectation, quite frankly I think they have to fill every suburb with multiple lines to achieve that goal...
Old September 20th, 2010, 03:11 PM   #1773
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragel View Post
I also would like to know the source for the 33 line plan, for I've read about it in various threads but none of them seemed to be official. It is far beyond my expectation, quite frankly I think they have to fill every suburb with multiple lines to achieve that goal...
I mean I hope the other 11 lines wouldn't be just other simple 2-track nightmare like Line 3 but a comprehensive suburban rail system with express and local trains that can bring people from the suburbs to within commuting distance of the city. It doesn't matter how many lines or kms but how well it serves commuters. Line 3 and Line 1 are pains in the ass. Trains stop at every stop from Baoshan to the city... Planners never heard of express trains/suburban rail?! And anyone who maintains that having metro that go all the way out to the suburbs for dozens of kms without any skip-stop or express service is talking out of blind, stupid patriotism and not from logical city planning sense
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:36 AM   #1774
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 16043

The Chinese forums grow countless lies and rumors. You can never trust them since they rarely provide an official source/link for any news people post on them. Too many trolls, and mods are unprofessional and they don't care about making their forums reliable. In every skyscraper related forum, they only post sources for 1% of stuff they find, so you can never know if those are total fake news or real. In SSC we are more decent and normally we close any thread with unsourced skyscraper news.

But the 1700km thing seems real. This the original source I think. Do you believe it?
http://www.chinaadren.com/html/news/...101794724.html

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.

Zaz965 liked this post
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 03:15 AM   #1775
fragel

It only says the total metro network in all mainland Chinese cities will reach 1700 km by 2017, so I don't think that is the appropriate source. However, I do find some threads saying Shanghai is going to have 1700 km of metro tracks in long term(maybe 2030 or 2050), again, without even citing the original news agency, so it is hard to trace. I normally don't trust any threads on Chinese forums unless official sources are provided, because some news-like threads are manipulated too much or even made up.
Old September 21st, 2010, 03:23 AM   #1776
fragel

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888 View Post
I mean I hope the other 11 lines wouldn't be just other simple 2-track nightmare like Line 3 but a comprehensive suburban rail system with express and local trains that can bring people from the suburbs to within commuting distance of the city. It doesn't matter how many lines or kms but how well it serves commuters. Line 3 and Line 1 are pains in the ass. Trains stop at every stop from Baoshan to the city... Planners never heard of express trains/suburban rail?! And anyone who maintains that having metro that go all the way out to the suburbs for dozens of kms without any skip-stop or express service is talking out of blind, stupid patriotism and not from logical city planning sense
Indeed this is a big problem. It is possible that a person in Shanghai suburban area spends more time commuting to downtown Shanghai than someone in Nanjing (more than 300 km away) does. They might need parallel tracks or lines in the future. Currently I don't think they can skip stations simply because too many residents living nearby every station, even in the suburbs.
Old September 21st, 2010, 01:07 PM   #1777
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Quote:
It only says the total metro network in all mainland Chinese cities will reach 1700 km by 2017, so I don't think that is the appropriate source. However, I do find some threads saying Shanghai is going to have 1700 km of metro tracks in long term(maybe 2030 or 2050), again, without even citing the original news agency, so it is hard to trace. I normally don't trust any threads on Chinese forums unless official sources are provided, because some news-like threads are manipulated too much or even made up.
You are right. They are probably lies as usual. In those forums they constantly post fake news and the mods do nothing. It's completley disgusting. You can't imagine how many times I've been fooled by fake news, fake projects, fake heights, fake construction starts, etc. We had the same problem in SSC, but hell, we mods delete those posts and may ban the liars.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old September 21st, 2010, 01:26 PM   #1778
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Indeed this is a big problem. It is possible that a person in Shanghai suburban area spends more time commuting to downtown Shanghai than someone in Nanjing (more than 300 km away) does. They might need parallel tracks or lines in the future. Currently I don't think they can skip stations simply because too many residents living nearby every station, even in the suburbs.
How long does it now take to travel between Anting North station and Shanghai station by Shanghai-Nanjing high-speed railway?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 02:43 PM   #1779
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
You are right. They are probably lies as usual. In those forums they constantly post fake news and the mods do nothing. It's completley disgusting. You can't imagine how many times I've been fooled by fake news, fake projects, fake heights, fake construction starts, etc. We had the same problem in SSC, but hell, we mods delete those posts and may ban the liars.
It's not so much that people systematically or purposefully post fake news. The hard truth is that things in China just aren't as transparent as what many of us are used to. Without getting too deep into the politics, the government and affliated companies don't do PR, and the concept of enthusiasts is completely alien to them. There is yet to be a standardised way of presenting information - just compare Baidu with Wikipedia and you know why it's difficult to get to the truth with Chinese news. Things do change overnight as well - metro plans have changed for god knows how many times and only heaven knows what's going to happen with the Maglev - no official information so people can only speculate (and in China no information doesn't necessarily mean nothing happening).

Getting back onto Shanghai Metro - those figures being touted are nothing - only lines up to 22 have (semi-)concrete plans. Having counted up the kms myself by I believe it'll be round about 1000 km by 2020.
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 04:21 PM   #1780
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Oh come on, there's no justification. In ss.cn a forumer (called LAZA if I'm not wrong) posted concept renders of an alleged revision of the Shanghai Center up to 800m. A lot of forumers believed him, but it was obviously a total fake. The thread remained open for months and got hundreds of posts. He wasn't banned at all. Also they post news all the time, renders, etc, but 99% of times they fail to post the link (In SSC if you miss the link the thread will be deleted). Trolls exist everywhere, I'm not saying it's a specific problem of the Chinese forums. The core problem is: moderators don't to their job banning trolls.

Zaz965 liked this post

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram