daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 21st, 2010, 06:41 PM   #1781
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
Oh come on, there's no justification. In ss.cn a forumer (called LAZA if I'm not wrong) posted concept renders of an alleged revision of the Shanghai Center up to 800m. A lot of forumers believed him, but it was obviously a total fake. The thread remained open for months and got hundreds of posts. He wasn't banned at all. Also they post news all the time, renders, etc, but 99% of times they fail to post the link (In SSC if you miss the link the thread will be deleted). Trolls exist everywhere, I'm not saying it's a specific problem of the Chinese forums. The core problem is: moderators don't to their job banning trolls.
Hey it's only skyscrapers, it's not as though they committed murder is it.
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:35 PM   #1782
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post

Getting back onto Shanghai Metro - those figures being touted are nothing - only lines up to 22 have (semi-)concrete plans. Having counted up the kms myself by I believe it'll be round about 1000 km by 2020.
The 1000km (or 970 km within the next decade) goal has been seen in many reports and government plans, so I'll stick to this reasonable projection and forget the 1700km fantasy.
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:39 PM   #1783
fragel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
How long does it now take to travel between Anting North station and Shanghai station by Shanghai-Nanjing high-speed railway?
about 14 minutes. but only a few trains stop at Anting North Station, so it cannot be used as a commuter rail by people living nearby.
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:49 PM   #1784
fragel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
Hey it's only skyscrapers, it's not as though they committed murder is it.
But it is frustrating to see hours of compilation become a waste of effort because of the fake news.
Old September 24th, 2010, 06:33 AM   #1785
fragel

A daily ridership record of 6.96 million was set on Sep 21st, the last workday before the Moon Festival.

But that is expected to be soon broken again during the National Day (Oct 1st) holiday week. Also EXPO brings more tourists than ever. I can't believe the number of tourists in the EXPO park exceeded 0.6 million yesterday

Anyway, metro staff and workers are busy preparing for the super crowds next week.

pictures @ shmetro.com
http://www.shmetro.com/node49/201009/con105640.htm

Last edited by fragel; September 24th, 2010 at 08:55 PM.
fragel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #1786
hkhui
Norway, China

Likes (Received): 7

Can't see the pictures, Fragel :/
hkhui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #1787
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragel View Post
It only says the total metro network in all mainland Chinese cities will reach 1700 km by 2017, so I don't think that is the appropriate source. However, I do find some threads saying Shanghai is going to have 1700 km of metro tracks in long term(maybe 2030 or 2050), again, without even citing the original news agency, so it is hard to trace. I normally don't trust any threads on Chinese forums unless official sources are provided, because some news-like threads are manipulated too much or even made up.
Wikipedia says that in 2015 Chinese cities will build 2500 km of subways so they will have 3400 counting the current 900 km.
Google translated and corrected by me: "... and the entire Shanghai metro network will reach 1700 kilometers and 33 lines in the long term" or something like that.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #1788
fragel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkhui View Post
Can't see the pictures, Fragel :/
weird, used to be ok...
anyway, you can see the pictures from the linked news.
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #1789
fragel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Wikipedia says that in 2015 Chinese cities will build 2500 km of subways so they will have 3400 counting the current 900 km.
Google translated and corrected by me: "... and the entire Shanghai metro network will reach 1700 kilometers and 33 lines in the long term" or something like that.
I guess you are referring to following paragraphs
Quote:
上海地铁总裁应名洪透露4月1日,上海地铁将开通2号线浦东国际机场-广兰路段;10号线新江湾城-虹桥枢纽/航中路;11号线安亭支线;9号线杨高中路-世纪大道段;7号线罗店美兰湖-上大路段,以及6、8号线济阳路转换段等,这些开通的新线路全部实行早5晚11的运行图,同时11号线916试运营也将过渡为正常运营;同时,4月10日开始,内部试运行13号线世博段,但不对外开放通勤功能。世博会期间,上海地铁4、7、8、9、13世博五条线路将实行5:00-24:10的运行图。

世博会后,还将推出地铁3日票(全价40元,折扣价25元)、7日票(全价75元,折扣价40元),通用10次票(全价36元,折扣价24元),发挥上海地铁428公里网络的综合优势,减轻地面交通压力。至于总体对于票价还有什么进一步的优惠,应董事长称,目前上海市财政压力较大,地铁也是亏损运营,希望中央对于上海的情况有所考虑,对地铁建设、运行,和地面公交实行一揽子的优惠政策,他会在全国两会上提出,目前立即可以实行的就是将P+R停车的优惠再深入化。广州目前也有这一设想,但目前沪、穗两座地铁网络化运行的城市,想要降低到北京那样单次地铁2元,公交1元(刷卡4角),并对学生减半的优惠程度,还不现实。

据悉,目前上海地铁在建的还有12、13、14、21号线,将在2013年建成;世博会结束后,年内还将开工15、17、20号线。远期,上海地铁规划将达到33条线,1700公里规模,并与贯通全市各要点的高速城际铁路统一票务、有效换乘。
The thing is, they (especially the last paragraph) are constantly inserted in news reports by forum members so that the whole thread look like official, but I could not find any reliable source for the last paragraph. No news report, no government document but bbs threads only.
Old September 24th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #1790
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

Wikipedia is best taken with a (large) pinch of salt, when it concerns plans of the future.
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #1791
fragel

Today's Ridership has reached 7 million by 22:48pm.
Final number will be available after the EXPO line stops at midnight.

A remarkable achievement in 15 years.

Historical moments:
4 million+ on 04/30/2008
5 million+ on 12/31/2009
6 million+ on 05/21/2010
7 million+ on 09/30/2010

Last edited by fragel; September 30th, 2010 at 06:48 PM.
fragel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #1792
fragel

BTW, the authorities warned the public not to believe the so called 2030 Shanghai Metro Planning Map on the internet. It was emphasized by the authorities that the map was a fake one made by fans and had no credibility at all. They also stated that planning of Shanghai metro lines is only up to 2020, and any projection beyond that time is meaningless or even causing confusions. I am glad they clarify the facts, and now we know the 1700km fantasy is denied officially.

see the report here
Old September 30th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #1793
CNGL
Leudimin

Yeah, but... anyone can post the 33 line map on the fantasy maps thread? Just for curiosity.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
Old September 30th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #1794
Nordschleife

Likes (Received): 713

More than 7 million passenger a day, another milestone.
Nordschleife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #1795
fragel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Yeah, but... anyone can post the 33 line map on the fantasy maps thread? Just for curiosity.
I didn't see a 33 line map myself. there are 29 lines on the fan-made 2030 map.

The map was made by a forumer on the popular metro fan site ditiezu.com.
The original maker did declare that he's not responsible for the credibility of the source, but as some people wiped out his watermark and posted the picture around, it then raised curiosity among the public--and we all know how bloody real estate people would hype a project if a metro line is to pass by. It apparently looks like an amateur map, I don't understand why some people would take it seriously. The original thread is here:
http://www.ditiezu.com/thread-84906-1-1.html
you might need to register to see the picture. In case you don't wanna register, here is the version with the maker's name removed:
fake map
Old September 30th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #1796
CNGL
Leudimin

I can see 30 lines. Anyway, I remember that even Chinese Wiki believed that! It is as as the Beijing one.
Old October 1st, 2010, 07:55 AM   #1797
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragel View Post
Today's Ridership has reached 7 million by 22:48pm.
Final number will be available after the EXPO line stops at midnight.

A remarkable achievement in 15 years.

Historical moments:
4 million+ on 04/30/2008
5 million+ on 12/31/2009
6 million+ on 05/21/2010
7 million+ on 09/30/2010
The final number is 7.087 million. Shanghai metro becomes one of the busiest with Tokyo and Moscow.

Line 1: 1.43 million
Line 2: 1.33 million
Line 3: 0.59 million
Line 4: 0.85 million
Line 5: 0.15 million
Line 6: 0.29 million
Line 7: 0.57 million
Line 8: 0.74 million
Line 9: 0.54 million
Line 10: 0.30 million
Line 11: 0.21 million
Line 13: 0.087 million

Interchange: 2.692 million

Quote:
9月30日上海地铁全网络共运送乘客708.7万人次:1号线143万,2号线133万,3号线59万,4号线 85万,5号线15万,6号线29万,7号线57万,8号线74万,9号线54万,10号线30万,11号线21万,13号线世博专线8.7万,换乘客流 269.2万。
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 02:14 AM   #1798
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Why is there no suburban rail network planned for Shanghai?

Having read an apocryphal rumor about Shanghai having 1700 km and 33 lines for its 2030 plan only to have it rebuked by city planners, I wondered about this question. Tokyo and NYC's rapid transit systems are both over 2,000 km when counting their suburban rails as well, so considering that in Shanghai's current long-term plan, metro acts as suburban rail, even a 1700km plan doesn't seem that ambitious when considering the dual suburban rail/metro role that Shanghai metro plays.

So yeah, Shanghai is the largest city in China with by far the most developed suburbs of any Chinese metropolis. It sprawls over enormous distances and the only rapid transit system it has is the oversized metro that makes suburban commuting so inefficient that it takes more time to go from Baoshan to Shanghai South Railway Station than it does from Nanjing to Shanghai. So why is there no comprehensive suburban network that complements the Shanghai metro planned? Furthermore, cities like Jiaxing, Kunshan, and Suzhou are connected by HSR even though they're less than 100 km apart, slowing down the average speed of the CRH because it needs to stop at these cities in between Shanghai-Hangzhou or Shanghai-Nanjing even though these cities can easily be covered by a suburban rail system.

As these long-term maps show, a number of Chinese cities have suburban rails planned:

Nanjing

Tianjin

Beijing

Ningbo and Guangzhou also have pretty long suburban rail systems under planning. I don't understand why a city like Ningbo or Nanjing, which are only a fraction of Shanghai's size in population and sprawl need suburban rails but Shanghai has none planned. Do planners realize how much of a pain in the ass it is to travel 20+ km and stop at every single stop?

I feel like a comprehensive RER-like system would be good for Shanghai, which can act like an express train inside the outer ring road, then become more like a suburban rail in outer suburbs, terminating in Suzhou or Kunshan/Jiaxing. This would allow metro lines like Line 11, Line 3, Line 9, Line 2, etc. to have build more stops in between because passengers would have an option to take the express RER if they don't want to sit through every stop, thereby increasing coverage.

A second suburban rail system should be built then, having a southern terminus in downtown that splits into branches to comprehensively serve all of Chongming Island and even into Nantong or Qidong. Only then would Shanghai municipality reach the desired urbanization levels.
drunkenmunkey888 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 04:46 AM   #1799
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

^Please try to keep it in one local thread instead of starting up another thread for discussion. Key is: integrated discussion, not segregated.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 10:37 AM   #1800
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Good point about suburban rail. I was just wondering about that. Metro is certainly not enough for a city of this size.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram