daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2011, 05:57 AM   #1881
CoCoMilk

Likes (Received): 1131

LOL true

Highcliff liked this post
CoCoMilk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:15 AM   #1882
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5737

so in a few years it will:

Two - number of Disney resorts in China that can be reached by rail
Two - number of Disney resorts in USA that cannot be reached by rail
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:48 PM   #1883
dumbfword
Habitual Line Stepper

Likes (Received): 563

Well. You can reach most Disney parks in the USA using the monorail from the hotel.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:05 AM   #1884
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
He's probalby thinking about the millions of boyfriends who will be forced to waste one of the most boring days in their lives because their silly girlfriends want to visit Disneyland.
Well at least Disney gives you the chance to get the girl.. lol

kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 09:03 PM   #1885
onthebund
BANNED

Likes (Received): 408

From Shanghaidaily.com

Transport network to improve

By Dong Zhen | 2011-2-10

SHANGHAI residents can expect to spend less than 45 minutes traveling between any two downtown destinations as more subways, highways and railways will be built in the next five years, the city's construction and transport commission said yesterday.

The transport network will also enable them to reach most cities in the Yangtze River Delta region within 90 minutes, the Shanghai Urban and Rural Construction and Transport Commission said.

By the end of 2015, the city's Metro network and improved road access will ensure a commute inside downtown areas will take 45 minutes or less.

Traveling from the suburbs to downtown Shanghai will take no more than 60 minutes, officials said.

By then, more provincial highways and railways will mean most cities in the Yangtze River Delta will be accessible within 90 minutes.

Another 200 kilometers of highways along with 200 kilometers of Metros and suburban railway lines will be built in the period, officials said.

This year, 84 major infrastructure projects costing 100 billion yuan (US$15.2 billion) will start construction. Part of the money will be spent on some urban face-lift programs such as support facilities for the Hongqiao development zone.

Construction of Metro Line 12, Line 13 and the northern extension of Line 11 will accelerate this year.

Metro Line 17 and extensions to lines 5, 8, 9 and 10 will begin construction in following years.

Aside from expanding the transport network, commission officials said the city will raise energy efficiency standards for the construction and transport industries in the next five years.

Buildings use nearly 20 percent of local energy while public transport uses another 24 percent, according to a recent report by the city's legislative body.

The city also plans to finish renovating 40 million square meters of residential and office space in the next five years to save energy.

Also, authorities plan to have developers provide more decorated new homes so owners can save money and time in decorating apartments, which often leads to a waste of construction materials.
onthebund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 04:20 AM   #1886
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5737

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthebund View Post
Also, authorities plan to have developers provide more decorated new homes so owners can save money and time in decorating apartments, which often leads to a waste of construction materials.
what do they mean by decorating?

I don't want the developer deciding what pictures to hang on the wall! People are buying apartments, not staying in hotel rooms.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #1887
Nordschleife

Likes (Received): 713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post

I don't want the developer deciding what pictures to hang on the wall! People are buying apartments, not staying in hotel rooms.
Will, normally it means painting, wiring, flooring. Pictures on the wall? forget about it.

Nordschleife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #1888
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post

New homes in Shanghai are completely unfinished - no flooring or fittings at all. So when they say 'decorating', they mean basic stuff like finishing the kitchen and bathroom, putting down flooring, painting walls, etc.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #1889
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
From Shanghaidaily.com

Transport network to improve

By Dong Zhen | 2011-2-10

SHANGHAI residents can expect to spend less than 45 minutes traveling between any two downtown destinations as more subways, highways and railways will be built in the next five years, the city's construction and transport commission said yesterday.

The transport network will also enable them to reach most cities in the Yangtze River Delta region within 90 minutes, the Shanghai Urban and Rural Construction and Transport Commission said.

By the end of 2015, the city's Metro network and improved road access will ensure a commute inside downtown areas will take 45 minutes or less.
Which districts form downtown?
Quote:
Traveling from the suburbs to downtown Shanghai will take no more than 60 minutes, officials said.

By then, more provincial highways and railways will mean most cities in the Yangtze River Delta will be accessible within 90 minutes.
Where is the head of Yangtze delta, and how many cities are there?
Quote:
Another 200 kilometers of highways along with 200 kilometers of Metros and suburban railway lines will be built in the period, officials said.

This year, 84 major infrastructure projects costing 100 billion yuan (US$15.2 billion) will start construction. Part of the money will be spent on some urban face-lift programs such as support facilities for the Hongqiao development zone.

Construction of Metro Line 12, Line 13 and the northern extension of Line 11 will accelerate this year.

Metro Line 17 and extensions to lines 5, 8, 9 and 10 will begin construction in following years.
So what shall the map be like at the end of 2015?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #1890
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Which districts form downtown?
The districts of Jing'an, Luwan, and Huangpu are pretty much the densest part of Shanghai ('downtown'), but given the 45 minute criterion mentioned in the article, I'd imagine they're referring to a much larger area - perhaps the area within the Middle Ring Road.

Quote:
Where is the head of Yangtze delta, and how many cities are there?
Shanghai is at the head of the Yangtze Delta. The Yangtze River empties into the East China Sea on the northern border of the Shanghai municipality. There are at least a dozen major cities in the Yangtze Delta, which is sometimes considered to extend as far away as Nanjing and Ningbo.

Quote:
So what shall the map be like at the end of 2015?
We'll see today's network with the addition of Line 11's southern extension, as well as Lines 12, 13, and 21 (currently under construction), plus any additional lines and extensions that are currently in planning but are not yet under construction that have yet to be officially announced.
Old February 11th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #1891
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

I believe line 21 is now line 16, and line 20 is line 17. If that is true, what number have now the former lines 16 and 17? 21 and 20?
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #1892
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Shanghai is at the head of the Yangtze Delta. The Yangtze River empties into the East China Sea on the northern border of the Shanghai municipality.
Then Shanghai is obviously not at the head of the delta because it is on the downstream end, not upstream end.
Quote:
There are at least a dozen major cities in the Yangtze Delta, which is sometimes considered to extend as far away as Nanjing and Ningbo.
I clearly count major cities Shanghai, Suzhou, Wuxi, Changzhou, Zhenjiang, Nanjing, Jiaxing, Hangzhou, Shaoxing, Ningbo. 10 so far. Then maybe Huzhou, Zhoushan, Nantong, Taizhou, Yangzhou - up to 15.

Which of these major cities are in Yangtze Delta?

How many minor cities are in Yangtze Delta?
Quote:

We'll see today's network with the addition of Line 11's southern extension, as well as Lines 12, 13, and 21 (currently under construction), plus any additional lines and extensions that are currently in planning but are not yet under construction that have yet to be officially announced.
What is the total length of these announced extensions?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2011, 04:12 AM   #1893
kix111

Where can i the sizes of trains of different metro lines?

Does line7, line10, line9 etc have the same train size as more dominant lines like line1, line2, line3, line4?

I think line8 and line6 have by far the smallest train size, i dont understand line8 why it has the smallest train when it actually runs through the most crowded areas of Shanghai..

The line8 station in Peoples Sq is a total disaster.. there is no stairs for you to go down there is only escalator...

Old February 15th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #1894
philip
The Picture Guy

Likes (Received): 71

And Line 6 trains are so small and crowded, it made me feel so miserable taking it. Luckily i only had to take it twice.....
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #1895
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 16043

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Then Shanghai is obviously not at the head of the delta because it is on the downstream end, not upstream end.

I clearly count major cities Shanghai, Suzhou, Wuxi, Changzhou, Zhenjiang, Nanjing, Jiaxing, Hangzhou, Shaoxing, Ningbo. 10 so far. Then maybe Huzhou, Zhoushan, Nantong, Taizhou, Yangzhou - up to 15.

Which of these major cities are in Yangtze Delta?

How many minor cities are in Yangtze Delta?

What is the total length of these announced extensions?
Enjoy this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yangtze_River_Delta

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.

Highcliff, Zaz965 liked this post
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #1896
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Where can i the sizes of trains of different metro lines?

Does line7, line10, line9 etc have the same train size as more dominant lines like line1, line2, line3, line4?

I think line8 and line6 have by far the smallest train size, i dont understand line8 why it has the smallest train when it actually runs through the most crowded areas of Shanghai..

The line8 station in Peoples Sq is a total disaster.. there is no stairs for you to go down there is only escalator...
Lines 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 9, 10 & 11 use size-A trains and 5, 6 & 8 use size-C trains.
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #1897
nishikoriaus

Likes (Received): 1

These are some of the most amazing pictures of underground railway system of shanghai with some good snaps of train bridges, this is an example of some extreme work by mechanical as well as electrical engineers along with a wonderful architectural work.
nishikoriaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #1898
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

where are those pictures?

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 02:34 AM   #1899
kix111

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip View Post
And Line 6 trains are so small and crowded, it made me feel so miserable taking it. Luckily i only had to take it twice.....
I saw the crowds rushing down line6 on Century Ave station yesterday, almost all of them were carrying a suitcase, so was it actually the people that made it crowded or their luggages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
Lines 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 9, 10 & 11 use size-A trains and 5, 6 & 8 use size-C trains.
Thanks, are they able to upgrade line 8 to size A trains? Or are the tunnels too narrow.

Old February 17th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #1900
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post
Thanks, are they able to upgrade line 8 to size A trains? Or are the tunnels too narrow.
I don't think so. Pretty sure the tunnels are too small, since the whole line reeks of cost cutting. Come to think of it, for a brand new system the Shanghai Metro has a bunch of horrible planning decisions, some of which I'll list below.

- decision to build Line 5 as a completely separate line rather than a southern extension of Line 1 (could have treated it very similarly to the eastern extension of Line 2, using shorter trains on the stretch between Xinzhuang and Minhang Free Trade Zone until traffic warranted longer trains)

- no interchange at all between Lines 7 and 10

- no interchange at all between Lines 1 and 13

- no interchange between Line 4 and 8 on the northern side of the ring

- no interchange between Line 4 and Line 13 near the Expo park

- interlining between Lines 3 and 4 (really becoming a problem now, given the high traffic load now on Line 4 and the inability to run at frequency at less than 5 minutes due to sharing track with Line 3)

- 'virtual interchanges'

Granted, some of these may have logical reasons behind them, but they certainly smack of poor planning.

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram