daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2011, 12:34 AM   #1941
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Rather than decorating those rural stations like the interior of a five star hotel, i would rather have them putting some safety doors on some of the more crowded station like this. I believe Line 2 doesnt even have safety doors in Peoples Square.

Highcliff liked this post
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #1942
fragel

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kix111 View Post

Rather than decorating those rural stations like the interior of a five star hotel, i would rather have them putting some safety doors on some of the more crowded station like this. I believe Line 2 doesnt even have safety doors in Peoples Square.

I am not sure what you are talking about. Do you mean that people's square station on line 2 doesn't have gates like Longyang Road station does? well, it has better:

People's Square Station, line 2 source

If you are asking why they don't install full-height platform screening doors in that particular station, well that is such an old repetitive question that most people won't even care to answer it in local metro fan forums. It is because that the ventilation systems of those old stations on Line 2 won't work with full-height PSDs. it is not that they don't want to.

ps: a five star hotel with interior decoration on the level of those stations must be the shittiest one.

fragel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #1943
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

Great thread. read the thread back to back. Whats the rider ship number like now. I haven't seen any numbers since the expo.
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 03:28 AM   #1944
saiho

Likes (Received): 1286

according to wikipedia

Average Daily ridership: 5.55 million (Jan-May 2011)
Annual ridership: 2 billion (2010)
which makes it 4th busiest in the world, though i'd give it 3-4 years and it will become the busiest...
unless Beijing suddenly comes in and takes the cake.

is there any news on Jinshan Branch Line (line 22) apparently its supposed to open this year. i heard its going to have a more mainline/commuter rail character and express/local services. which is good, having been to Hong Kong and Tokyo. shanghai and other Chinese cities chould use some more regional commuter rail with metro characteristics like JR lines or the MTR east rail line.

Last edited by saiho; June 30th, 2011 at 03:44 AM. Reason: added info
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #1945
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

I read somewhere that line 22 will be completed in August (Opening some months later), and will go up to 160 km/h . That's faster than any metro on the world!!! And as fast as a regional train! (At least in Spain...)
And here's the scheduled opening timetable from Wikipedia. There are some sections that have been delayed:
By the end of 2012:
Line 8 Aerospace Museum-Huizhen (Interesting, they will build this in only a year since it's about to start construction)
Line 9 Songjiang Xingcheng-Songjiang S Railway Station
Line 11 Jiangsu Rd-Luoshan Rd & Anting-Huaqiao (So we could travel by metro from Jiangsu Road to Jiangsu Province)
Line 12 Jinhai Rd-Dalian Rd
Line 13 Huajiang Rd-Jinshanjiang Rd
Line 16 (Former line 21) Longyang Rd-Lingang New City
By the end of 2014:
Line 5 Dongchuang Rd-Xidu
Line 12 Dalian Rd-Qixin Rd
Line 13 Jinshajiang Rd-Madang Rd and over the EXPO section to Changqing Rd
By the end of 2015:
Line 11 Luoshan Rd-Disneyland
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Last edited by CNGL; July 1st, 2011 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Corrected year
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 01:27 PM   #1946
napkcirtap

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
I read somewhere that line 22 will be completed in August (Opening some months later), and will go up to 160 km/h . That's faster than any metro on the world!!! And as fast as a regional train! (At least in Spain...)
And here's the scheduled opening timetable from Wikipedia. There are some sections that have been delayed:
By the end of 2012:
Line 8 Aerospace Museum-Huizhen (Interesting, they will build this in only a year since it's about to start construction)
Line 9 Songjiang Xingcheng-Songjiang S Railway Station
Line 11 Jiangsu Rd-Luoshan Rd & Anting-Huaqiao (So we could travel by metro from Jiangsu Road to Jiangsu Province)
Line 12 Jinhai Rd-Dalian Rd
Line 13 Huajiang Rd-Jinshanjiang Rd
Line 16 (Former line 21) Longyang Rd-Lingang New City
By the end of 2014:
Line 5 Dongchuang Rd-Xidu
Line 12 Dalian Rd-Qixin Rd
Line 13 Jinshajiang Rd-Madang Rd and over the EXPO section to Changqing Rd
By the end of 2014:
Line 11 Luoshan Rd-Disneyland
line 22 is regional rail/commuter rail, not metro or subway.
napkcirtap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 03:54 PM   #1947
saiho

Likes (Received): 1286

is line 22 going to be very commuter rail/regional rail in character like Beijing's S2 line or more metro-like such as Korail's urban commuter network in Seoul?
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 03:37 AM   #1948
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

Just got home from Shanghai, and I must say that the metro system in Shanghai is one of the best I've ever used.

To me, it seems like they are planning for many lines, due to the big gap between stations. This will call for fast and efficient service, but more interchange.
I had some trips across town, and I found quickly the best route, but I must admit that the first time I used a more complicated route. Maybe it was quicker/shorter(well, shorter it was for sure), but the route through century avenue offered a less hassle free trip.

For me, this system is worth the trip to Shanghai alone. The trains are not as high capacity and the intervals are not as high in Tokyo(except Ginza line), but the system in Shanghai is really great.

I wonder why they only build for 6 car trains on most lines though?
I can also criticize the low frequency on the trains, but come on, everyone can wait 5 mins?

Never tried the metro in Moscow Though.

Last edited by Northridge; August 1st, 2011 at 03:54 AM.
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 04:18 AM   #1949
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

5 minutes? Is that on all lines? What about peak times? And what kind of signaling is used in Shanghai? Does it use ATO?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 05:47 AM   #1950
djm160190

Likes (Received): 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post

5 minutes? Is that on all lines? What about peak times? And what kind of signaling is used in Shanghai? Does it use ATO?
In peak times on the busier lines (1,2,8 etc) it's more like a frequency of every 3 minutes. Not sure what signalling is used.
djm160190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 08:01 AM   #1951
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Not sure if it'll be completed this month. I have seen the current state of Line 22 and while the rails are finished, they still have a lot of work to do to finish the catenary system - the towers are up in most places, but the overhead wires have yet to be strung. I don't know how long that will take to do, though.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 08:50 PM   #1952
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm160190 View Post
In peak times on the busier lines (1,2,8 etc) it's more like a frequency of every 3 minutes. Not sure what signalling is used.
Is peak frequency 3 min because of lack of trains (because of delay in train delivery, etc) or is it because signalling system is not equipped to handle more than 20 trains per hour?

As far as I know, all modern metro systems are capable of handling 30 or more trains per hour. Shanghai metro might also have capacity to handle such frequencies IMO.
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:30 AM   #1953
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5737

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Not sure if it'll be completed this month. I have seen the current state of Line 22 and while the rails are finished, they still have a lot of work to do to finish the catenary system - the towers are up in most places, but the overhead wires have yet to be strung. I don't know how long that will take to do, though.
is line 22 sharing the line 1 right-of-way between Shanghai South and Xinzhuang?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:00 AM   #1954
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
is line 22 sharing the line 1 right-of-way between Shanghai South and Xinzhuang?
No. I expect it'll be sharing the right-of-way with the intercity trains out of Shanghai South, and following its own right-of-way at some point south of Xinzhuang.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:30 PM   #1955
ddes

Likes (Received): 928

I visited Shanghai 2 weeks ago, and I thought it was great too.

However, I didn't like that there weren't any diagonal lines, which makes transfers a little irritating.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #1956
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18132

Metro braces itself for emergencies during typhoon
Shanghai Daily
2011-8-5

SHANGHAI Metro operator is taking precautionary measures to ensure the safety of Metro services during the typhoon period.

The Metro operator said when the wind reaches force 8 or 74 kilometers per hour, trains will shift from automatic to manual control so drivers can respond fast to emergencies. When the wind reaches force 10 or more, trains will pull into stations at a speed of 20kph. Metro Line 3 and Line 5 that run on the ground will likely to suspend their operation if wind is too strong.

Metro officials urged the public to pay attention to traffic report on its official website and make route changes accordingly.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #1957
napkcirtap

Likes (Received): 3

this is the map for subway service when typhoon hits shanghai. note the greyed lines are all out of service parts of lines that run above ground or at grade

napkcirtap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #1958
Abhishek901

Btw, how much part of the network is underground and how much is elevated?
Old August 6th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #1959
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Come on, this info u have on the map above.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #1960
Abhishek901

I don't think one can correctly guess just looking at this maze. I guess u/g portion would be 40-65% but I want to narrow down that range.

Tags
metro, shanghai, tram