daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 5th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #101
X38

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Nothing else, it work well. The only big problem with the T3 is its speed.
With 18 km/h on average speed this tram is too slow.
In comparison with the Antwerp tram system, 18 km/h is very fast...
X38 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #102
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Likes (Received): 5961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
In one and half years, I only heard of two fatally accident with pedestrian (Of course the dead is the pedestrian)
This made me laugh.

I reckon T4 is the fastest line?

Quote:
oh man are there going to be more trams you know i think london has a tram system now and they are expanding on it but Paris tram system is great i hope more lines are planned to sevre areas with not much buses or Rail transport you know.
London has the Tramlink AFAIK, in the Croydon area. It opened in 2000 and uses Bombardier CR-4000 trams.

I hope Paris won't build tram lines in the city center. Hope they keep it at the edge of the city and in the so called banlieue, where it seems to me they're in their element.
Cosmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #103
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
This made me laugh.

I reckon T4 is the fastest line?

London has the Tramlink AFAIK, in the Croydon area. It opened in 2000 and uses Bombardier CR-4000 trams.

I hope Paris won't build tram lines in the city center. Hope they keep it at the edge of the city and in the so called banlieue, where it seems to me they're in their element.
Paris will build tram lines in the city center. And I desagree, they are in their element there to replace the ROW for buses. In central Paris we have several more than 50000p/d buse routes sometimes mostly segregated
from the traffic. And a tram would be perfect there. The first route to be converted will probably be the 91. And this route could be extended to make a loop around the center, calling at the 6 rail terminals. If you look to map of the night buses it would be the route of the N1/N2.
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 09:51 PM   #104
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Quote:
T3 is awesome from what I can see. Last time I was in Paris only T1 and T2 were built, but on September 2 I'll be back in Paris and I wanna take some time to visit (if that makes any sense to you) T3. Even though the area is of little touristic value, I wanna see it. I know I'll not resist the temptation to take a stroll in the Biblioteque Fr. Mitterand-Bercy area so I might as well take the T3 from Porte d'Ivry which is not far away.
Well, it's now almost a month since I returned from Paris and I did manage to test T3 for a bit, and also T2 which I knew from my previous trip. Seeing it live was great and its exterior design is very much the way I like it, modern, yet not UFO-like. My favourite tram of them all (worldwide I mean) based on the exterior. The interior is pretty much your standard modern tram interior - top notch, but nothing that attracts attention really.

Driving it seems more like a computer game and this guy really seemed to enjoy himself...

And here it is at Balard

Btw, my girlfriend and I were on the above Citadis at around 23:20 on a Sunday when a guy and a woman in plain clothes boarded it, and soon after the doors were closed and the tram started moving they took their IDs out and went "contrôle, desole!" and half of the tram went "UUUHHH!". Of course I had my Mobilis on me, but I was surprised to find controllers late at night on a Sunday.
Old October 1st, 2008, 10:10 PM   #105
X38

Likes (Received): 22

Some video's of the Belgian tramfreak daddycool9
LES TRAMWAYS PARISIENS 1855-1938.

LES TRAMWAYS PARISIENS 1855-1938 (suite)

X38 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 04:20 AM   #106
Linnea2

Likes (Received): 0

Strange looking old machines, but the pics are wonderful.
Linnea2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 04:52 PM   #107
Homer J. Simpson

Likes (Received): 18

In Toronto we are looking at building a network of LRT like this. In fact supporters of the plan use Paris' system as an example.

I look forward to seeing more of these trams.
Homer J. Simpson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #108
Augusto

Quote:
Btw, my girlfriend and I were on the above Citadis at around 23:20 on a Sunday when a guy and a woman in plain clothes boarded it, and soon after the doors were closed and the tram started moving they took their IDs out and went "contrôle, desole!" and half of the tram went "UUUHHH!". Of course I had my Mobilis on me, but I was surprised to find controllers late at night on a Sunday.
Ratp has drastically improved the fight against fare evasion those last years. They have recruited a lot of young ticket inspectors from different origins. To be controlled in the bus at 3am by an african woman, a caribbean guy and 2 northern-africans like it happened to me this week is becoming quite common.
Old October 5th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #109
juanico
Daily Commuter

Likes (Received): 8

This is how the light rail network should look like by 2016, revealed by the recently approved Regional Plan. About half of the future lines are already under construction :

Below, the expected evolution of the network, expressed in kilometres :

1992 (opening of T1) : 9 km
1997 : 20,3 km
2003 : 23,2 km
2006 : 39 km

2009 : 41,3 km
2011 : 57 km
2012 : 96,4 km
2013 : 104,9 km
2014 : 115,6 km
2015 : 178,2 km
2016 : 195,5 km
juanico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #110
Arizona92

trams are certainly not a good solution for the centre of Paris. There is simply not enugh place to put them without completely strangling the traffic. But I was wondering why doesn't RATP install trolleybus (electric bus) lines. They are electric, don't pollute, flexible enough (they also have a thermic engine in case they need to re-route) and don't need tracks.Of course they need overhead wires. Some people may find that unappealing - but the intrusion is less that that brought by the tram tracks.
Arizona92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #111
Cosmin
Euro Mod

I come from a city where I have everything from metro to trams and trolleybuses and I wouldn't want to see either tram track all over in the center of Paris or trolleybuses.

Trams are ok, great even, for the peripheral areas of Paris, though I also see some central areas that could use a tram line or two, but other than that I hope they keep it in the banlieue, where they really fit.

Now trolleybuses on the other hand, I hope will never be part of Paris' transport network. They're green, true, but they're just buses that need wires. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm not saying I hate trolleybuses or that they shouldn't be used outside Paris, I'm just saying that using them within Paris proper would be a shame.

What I would like to see in Paris in the not so distant future is cleaner and clean buses and I'm sure they'll gain momentum in the next decade or so. Certainly RATP can afford them and certainly Paris is a city that generally proved it has top-notch transportation so I have high hopes for such buses in Paris.
Old October 6th, 2008, 04:41 PM   #112
Augusto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona92 View Post
trams are certainly not a good solution for the centre of Paris. There is simply not enugh place to put them without completely strangling the traffic. But I was wondering why doesn't RATP install trolleybus (electric bus) lines. They are electric, don't pollute, flexible enough (they also have a thermic engine in case they need to re-route) and don't need tracks.Of course they need overhead wires. Some people may find that unappealing - but the intrusion is less that that brought by the tram tracks.
Not enough place? If trams were back in the city center (and Ihope they will) they would use the already existing bus lanes. And now we have a real network of bus lane segregated from the traffic that is still expanding (Bastille-Republique is the next one to be built). Some bus routes like the 91 really deserve to be re-converted into tram routes.

Last edited by Augusto; October 6th, 2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old October 8th, 2008, 12:52 AM   #113
Arizona92

i was thinking about electric buses (or trolleybuses) as a low cost alternative to tramways. A lot of transportation projects are forzen in the Paris area because of costs. By the way, I imagine that Bucharest must have a huge fleet of trams and trolleybuses, have any pics?

Augusto: Buses inside Paris are unfortunatelly extremely slow. Even on dedicated lanes they ares still slow because of the traffic lights.
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #114
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Quote:
By the way, I imagine that Bucharest must have a huge fleet of trams and trolleybuses, have any pics?
Well, first of all, you have to realize that even though Bucharest is bigger than Paris (228 km² vs. 86.9 km²), its population is somewhat lower (1,9 million) and it has no real metropolitan area, nor an extended urban area outside its borders. Hell, I wouldn't call some areas within the city as being "urban", but that's another matter. What I'm trying to say is that our transportation needs are much, much lower. We do have some 950 buses, 320 trams and 200 trolleybuses (+ metro) though.

You'll find photos of our trolleybuses on Electric Trolley Buses and some pictures of buses, trams, trolleybuses and metro trains on Public Transport in Bucharest. This is not the place to post such pictures. No RATB here! Bring on RATP!

Quote:
Augusto: Buses inside Paris are unfortunatelly extremely slow. Even on dedicated lanes they ares still slow because of the traffic lights.
Yes, they're not the fastest means of transportation, that's for sure, but again, maybe it's because I come from Bucharest, maybe not... but I've found the buses in Paris to be a pretty ok ride. I know they're not that popular with tourists, but I try to use them when I can instead of using the metro.

They do get crowded at rush hour, it's normal, but I like them and would like to see some electric or hydrogen versions in the future instead of trolleybuses.

I especially like the two-door arrangement, hopping on through the front door and hopping off through the back door, 90% of the time. I hate our three-door ones, but it really more matter of not being able to follow simple indications and flow patterns instead of being a bus flaw. Funny thing is I can compare our Citaros with RATP's Citaros. Apart from the seats, it's pretty much the same interior, yet because of the passenger flow, ticket validation only in the front door's area and a generally lower level of ******* maniacs, it's a better experience being on a Citaro in Paris than in Bucharest.

And yeah, lower waiting times help too. And those dedicated bus lanes are great, trust me, it's much better having them than not having them. But now let's get 100% back to Paris...

Any plans for new tram lines that actually go through the city center? I haven't seen even one such plan, so I'm thinking this is more of a long-term idea, since as I understand, they do plan to have trams running through the center.
Old October 9th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #115
Arizona92

I don't think there are any plans to run tramways in the city center. This will happen though in Issy and Courbevoie (2 inner suburbs).
Old October 10th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #116
Augusto

Quote:
Sorry but I can not second that. Some lines are indeed very slow at peak hours but some others are faster than the metro at any time of the day because there is no direct link by metro and because they have a dedicated lane. And with the priority for buses at traffic lights being slowly implemented it will get better and better.
I'll put up again my example: the line 91 is the fastest way to link 3 majors railways station (Montparnasse, Austerlitz and Lyon) and would be perfect for a tram operation (as it used to be until 1937.. by the tram 91).
Quote:
Any plans for new tram lines that actually go through the city center? I haven't seen even one such plan, so I'm thinking this is more of a long-term idea, since as I understand, they do plan to have trams running through the center.
Nothing on a short term but at least one project has been put up in the newspapers twice: "the railway stations tram" ("le tram des gares"). It would be a loop linking the 6 rail hubs. On a first stage the line would go from Montparnasse to Nord station (bus 91 and 65).
There are actually talks to extend the T3 from porte de Vincennes to Nation: the T3 will have to be "cut" into 2 parts at Porte de Vincennes so an extension to Nation would be an opportunity to connect the two segments with the RER A.
There are maps of those projects on the french SSC forum.
Old October 14th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #117
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto View Post
Some bus routes like the 91 really deserve to be re-converted into tram routes.
Here an example:

http://www.v2asp.paris.fr/v2/Deplace...enagements.asp
m@rco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #118
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto View Post
Nothing on a short term but at least one project has been put up in the newspapers twice: "the railway stations tram" ("le tram des gares"). It would be a loop linking the 6 rail hubs. On a first stage the line would go from Montparnasse to Nord station (bus 91 and 65).
[...]
There are maps of those projects on the french SSC forum.
m@rco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #119
Cosmin
Euro Mod

My love - Alstom Citadis 402

Old October 17th, 2008, 06:08 AM   #120
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

does look sexy alright =)